Football phrases that grinds your gears

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
On the cities I agree as they have different names in different languages. Not attempting to correctly pronounce foreign names is a pet hate of mine though. I've never heard any British commentator say easy names such as Pogba, Mané or Fernandes correctly. And don't get me started on Souček and Coufal. You don't have to be an expert on phonology. All it takes is a quick glance at a website like Forvo.
I agree to an extent, the Barcelona thing pisses me off because it's people trying to be clever but not actually putting in the research. If it's a case of simply not knowing the phonology because you never studied this nor have you been corrected then that's ok.

In the case of Fernandes and Telles because they are Portuguese names but should you pronounce them according to the variant of Portuguese where they are from?

For example, Fernandes in Portuguese Portuguese would sound like Fur-nan-desh. Whereas Telles ends with an es/ez sound in Brazilian Portuguese. (feel free to correct me on that Portuguese speakers). In any case, if you've never studied Portuguese then you wouldn't know and would pronounce with a Des sound. Likewise, people pronounce Jose Mourinho with a Ho instead of a Jo even though he's made it clear which is correct.

Many footballers aren't even bothered, Haaland for example is quite relaxed about the pronunciation of his name when not speaking Norwegian.

I do agree with you that commentators and pundits should do a quick google to check pronunciations. (looking at you Paul Merson)

stevoc

On the cities I agree as they have different names in different languages. Not attempting to correctly pronounce foreign names is a pet hate of mine though. I've never heard any British commentator say easy names such as Pogba, Mané or Fernandes correctly. And don't get me started on Souček and Coufal. You don't have to be an expert on phonology. All it takes is a quick glance at a website like Forvo.
Even worse is when they do try but still feck it up. Having to listen to commentators saying Daley BlinT for 4 years was horrible, his name ends with a fecking D.

I'd give them the benefit of the doubt only for the fact his Dad was a professional footballer, and quite a well known one at that. So they already knew how to pronounce his name properly but for some reason decided to pronounce it differently.

Karlos PFC

I'm sure that it's already been mentioned but,

"small margins"
"fine margins"
"Ole has won everything" (of course not everybody can distinguish Ole the player vs Ole the coach).

Siorac

Even worse is when they do try but still feck it up
No, the pure laziness is worse. For years I had to listen to English commentators calling Zoltán Gera 'Giera' for some godforsaken reason that I still don't quite get. That 'e' is basically the exact same sound as the 'e' in, say, Gerrard. It's really not even difficult to pronounce.

Kag

Popping back in to say ‘cultured left foot’. As opposed to his right one?

Piss off, Redknapp: the biggest offender.

Pagh Wraith

Even worse is when they do try but still feck it up. Having to listen to commentators saying Daley BlinT for 4 years was horrible, his name ends with a fecking D.

I'd give them the benefit of the doubt only for the fact his Dad was a professional footballer, and quite a well known one at that. So they already knew how to pronounce his name properly but for some reason decided to pronounce it differently.
Blint is correct. Dutch has final devoicing.

Sara125

So according to Forvo and Portuguese people on reddit, the Portuguese pronunciation is actually ‘Brunoo (like the ‘noo’ in noon) Fernandsh’. I learnt that Fred is also pronounced like Fredge. Interesting!

Pagh Wraith

So according to Forvo and Portuguese people on reddit, the Portuguese pronunciation is actually ‘Brunoo (like the ‘noo’ in noon) Fernandsh’. I learnt that Fred is also pronounced like Fredge. Interesting!
That's correct. European Portuguese has an extreme amount of vowel reduction or even deletion. Neves is pronounced Nevsh, Fernandes is Firnandsh (as the Fer part is unstressed, the e is reduced to something like the i in girl). The word excelente is pronounced shlent! This does not apply to Brazilian Portuguese.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Just heard of a term called ‘idea ball’. Apparently it’s an Nigerian saying. It’s grinding my gears because every time I see someone passing a pointless pass i instantly think how stupid the phrase is and yet here I am thinking about it and now posting about.

stevoc

Blint is correct. Dutch has final devoicing.
People say that but i've no idea where it's came from. It seems no commentators actually bothered to ask Daley, as he pronounces it with a D.

Around the 50 second mark of that video. And i've heard him pronounce it similarly in interviews too.

Pagh Wraith

People say that but i've no idea where it's came from. It seems no commentators actually bothered to ask Daley, as he pronounces it with a D.

Around the 50 second mark of that video. And i've heard him pronounce it similarly in interviews too.
Sounds more like Blint to me in that video. The final sound he uses in wind is sort of inaudible. Hope a native Dutch speaker will back me up on this but I'm 99.9% certain that all d's at the end of words become t's in Dutch. Same thing in German. So both the German word "Wind" and the Dutch word "wind" are pronounced /vint/

Wiktionary has the correct pronunciation with audio: blind - WikiWoordenboek (wiktionary.org) /blɪnt/

It's possible he changes the pronunciation of his name when speaking English.

stevoc

Sounds more like Blint to me in that video. The final sound he uses in wind is sort of inaudible. Hope a native Dutch speaker will back me up on this but I'm 99.9% certain that all d's at the end of words become t's in Dutch. Same thing in German. So both the German word "Wind" and the Dutch word "wind" are pronounced /vint/
Really?

To me it sounds exactly like he says rhymes with wind, thats how commentators always used to pronounce his fathers surname too English speaking commentators anyway.

I don't know if he was saying Blint I'd imagine he would say it rhymes with something like flint instead.

It's possible he changes the pronunciation of his name when speaking English.
Thats possible i suppose.

Superden

Say Goodbye

"Second six yard box". I only heard it for the first time a couple of weeks ago but have heard it a few times since. Am I out of the loop and this is a common imaginary part of the pitch to talk about?

Josh 76

2-0 is a dangerous scoreline.

taking a stat from this link How Often Do Teams Lose A 2-0 Lead In Football And Is It A Dangerous Scoreline? | Online Betting UK
There have been 1061 previous occasions of a team being 2-0 ahead at HT in the PL; only 22 have lost from that position (2.1%). Answer.

theres also a piece on us and 2-0 leads in that article, and how we are hardly ever ever ever blow it.

apart from our last game of course. i had forgotten than when starting the post. oops.
Going on from that
"The next goal is vital"
Really?

Red00012

“Fair play to Leeds for coming out in the 2nd half and not changing the way they play. They’ve been a breath of fresh air in the PL this season “

As they go down 4-2 to Arsenal

Gopher Brown

Holy feck that’s an awful video

Posh Red

2-0 is a dangerous scoreline.

taking a stat from this link How Often Do Teams Lose A 2-0 Lead In Football And Is It A Dangerous Scoreline? | Online Betting UK
There have been 1061 previous occasions of a team being 2-0 ahead at HT in the PL; only 22 have lost from that position (2.1%). Answer.

theres also a piece on us and 2-0 leads in that article, and how we are hardly ever ever ever blow it.

apart from our last game of course. i had forgotten than when starting the post. oops.
I thought it meant that you’re most likely to concede whilst leading two nil, as opposed to actually losing

jem

‘We did enough to win.’ You clearly didn’t. ‘He’s unplayable’; ‘a Rolls Royce of a player’; ‘phase of play’

jem

Basically whatever Ole says in every press conference after A defeat.

“Rashy”

“we go again”

“Can’t fault the effort from the boys”

Etc etc.
You would think after Stevie G saying it the week before slipping that nobody would say ‘we go again’ and yet you still hear it all the time.

jem

Much as I love it and appreciate it, getting a bit sick of hearing about Cavani’s movement

jem

References to ‘tiers’ and ‘levels’ gets wearisome after a while.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I know it’s been said already but low block. It’s absolutely everywhere, low block this low block that when actually it just means a team sitting deep.
Sitting deep doesn’t sound technical enough in this age of immense tactics and patterns of play (another hate)I suppose.

I fully see you can beat a team sitting deep without patterns of play, soon as low block is introduced we need detailed patterns of play to break that system. Someone should tell Ole, maybe he still thinks he’s just playing against teams sitting deep.

jem

'Patterns of play' is another annoying one. The likes of Jonathan Wilson love to spew out this one when fawning over the Bielsas and Klopps...

jem

'No backlift' is also annoying - I mean there must be a bit of backlift, no?

I know it’s been said already but low block. It’s absolutely everywhere, low block this low block that when actually it just means a team sitting deep.
Sitting deep doesn’t sound technical enough in this age of immense tactics and patterns of play (another hate)I suppose.

I fully see you can beat a team sitting deep without patterns of play, soon as low block is introduced we need detailed patterns of play to break that system. Someone should tell Ole, maybe he still thinks he’s just playing against teams sitting deep.
How is 'sitting deep' any better? Nobody's feckin' sitting!