Football Without Offside

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
It has always seemed a weird rule to me.

Other sports like hockey and American football have offside with a fixed line and not a moving line.

Basketball has no offside rule just over and back and 3 in the key etc.

To me offside in football in the box say after a corner is ridiculous.

Would you change the rule and what would football be like with no offside at all?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It has always seemed a weird rule to me.

Other sports like hockey and American football have offside with a fixed line and not a moving line.

Basketball has no offside rule just over and back and 3 in the key etc.

To me offside in football in the box say after a corner is ridiculous.

Would you change the rule and what would football be like with no offside at all?
Didn't Liverpool win all their leagues before offside became a thing?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Football without offside would just turn into a giant game of 6 aside. It wouldn’t work in a big pitch.

there’s nothing wrong with the game as it is anyway.

Paul_Scholes18

Good point. Although teams playing like Burnley and Old Stoke and just pumping balls into the box would be much more rewarded.

Could be fun to watch even without it potentially.

Hawks2008

The offside rule is actually genius and the game as we know it does not exist without it. It would devolve into an ugly goal hanging mess of a sport.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Teams could lump it into crowded penalty boxes from almost anywhere on the park and hope for a lucky break. It would be chaos.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Mentioning Hockey is interesting, would you get rid of icing?

Caesar2290

Offside is one of the things that makes football great. Also it adds another dimension to both an attacker's game as well as a defender's.

Just imagine the amount of concentration and the split second decision you need to have as a defensive unit to time the offside trap.

It adds a bit of refinement and finess to the game, so no I'd definetly keep it.

kredik

Offside is one of the things that makes football great. Also it adds another dimension to both an attacker's game as well as a defender's.

Just imagine the amount of concentration and the split second decision you need to have as a defensive unit to time the offside trap.

It adds a bit of refinement and finess to the game, so no I'd definetly keep it.
Agree,but what about just having offsides only when passing from your own half? And of course add a "half court" rule that once in opposition half,you cant pass back back into yours. That would elevate the tactical finess to a more modern level that the original rulemakers didnt account for(compact midfield quaqmires/high line,etc...)

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Ice hockey have variation on offside and also rules on how you can clear the puck (icing).

American Football has offside (moving before the ball moves).

NBA has the 3-second rule, can't just stand under the basket. Also you have 8 seconds to get into the opposition half and you can't go back into your half with the ball.

I like the offside rule as it is. Just wish it was enforced like originally intended that the attacker gets the benefit of the doubt. Some centimeters aren't the difference between a goal or not, especially when you're close to the halfway line.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
I'm in the minority here, as I've always hated the offside rule. I don't watch other sports, and it's not due to influence of any other sport, but I've always found the rule complicates things and creates confusion and controversy . Legitimate goals are often disallowed and offside goals counted.

Maybe VAR will fix it.

meamth

Football without offside?

Maybe Fellaini will be the highest paid player in the world, 5 consecutive ballon d'ors.

thepolice123

Offside is great because without it there will be that one lad who stands in front of the GK the entire game and waits for the long ball.

Paul_Scholes18

Football without offside?

Maybe Fellaini will be the highest paid player in the world, 5 consecutive ballon d'ors.
I want a parallell universe with that. Send me over! China would rule with Fellaini and Corona as the main men.
They would not even dare to stop Felliani with a virus around.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
This wouldn't work at all with the size of pitches. This rule actually gives some definition to the game. You would also see the size & athleticism of the teams shift with larger, slower players up front to just camp out in the box. The game would become somewhat embarrassing & unwatchable.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Just wish it was enforced like originally intended that the attacker gets the benefit of the doubt.
This was never a thing though. The whole "attacker gets the benefit of the doubt" is something made up by journos and pundits, based on directives given to linesmen that told them to do nothing when they didn't know what to do

The rule is being enforced better than ever thanks to VAR

As for the thread, football without the offside rule or with a different offside rule would be a completely different sport

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Thread should just be titled “I’m a North American and I don’t understand y’all sawkerball”.

What other revelations are you going to bring us? Time outs? 2 minutes for instigating?

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Would make the game dumber and less technical. Who needs a Messi to dribble past a line of defenders when there is no line of defenders which you have to overcome.

Judas

Open to offers
The quality of the game would be so awful without offsides. The sport would change almost to an unrecognisable level with just this one change. As much as it can be frustrating and these days there should be more decisions in favour of the attacking team and not defences, I think I'd hate football without it.

Red_Aaron

I have a lot of issues with the offside rule as in many ways its anti-football, particularly the 'offside trap' where defenders actively try to avoid playing the ball in order to invoke a technicality can't really be seen as being in the spirit of the game.

I also have issues with the interfering idea whereby an attacker can be excused his position on account of not interfering in play however a full back 50yards away on the opposite side of the pitch can somehow play an attacker onside by not holding the line well enough - surely he's not interfering in play all the way over there.

Having said all that however I don't like to imagine the game without the rule, it's a necessary evil unfortunately

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Would make the game dumber and less technical. Who needs a Messi to dribble past a line of defenders when there is no line of defenders which you have to overcome.
Teams would park 4 players into their own box, two into the opponent's box, and leave the other 4 to cover the rest of the pitch. All pressing would be done individually and only on the ball carrier, there would be a lot of long balls and games would be decided pretty much by however gets the best of the individual duels

Yaya Touré would be the best player in the world

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
It's been trialled already:

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/ger...lubs-play-football-match-without-offside-rule

Also in Scotland, looks like they played some cup games with a different rules:

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?292445-1975-The-experimental-offside-line

At least one game in Scotland was played with no offside in the 60s.

https://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/126852-no-offside-rule-hearts-game/

https://www.londonhearts.com/scores/images/1965/1965061901.htm

Leads to loads of long passes, very little point in short passes or a midfield without offside. Can just pass from one box to the other all the time.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
The offside rule is what makes football the game it is, how someone can *hate* the rule is beyond me. Maybe you can hate how it’s applied right now, but taking t away completely would destroy the game.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
If this happened, Pablo Laso would be hired to become the tactical coach on a top team.

Paul_Scholes18

Imagine football with no rules apart from no handball for outfield players and no referee at all. Liverpool would get totally fecked without their help.
Small teams with 5 Roy Keanes would murder all opponents.
Would be almost like Rugby then and totally insane.
Hospitals would be full after a game.

Messi and Ronaldo would be kicked down to death and teams would play longball tactics with Felliani types up front etc,
Capitalist football . So it would reflect the real world at the top with so much shit going on.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
This was never a thing though. The whole "attacker gets the benefit of the doubt" is something made up by journos and pundits, based on directives given to linesmen that told them to do nothing when they didn't know what to do

The rule is being enforced better than ever thanks to VAR

As for the thread, football without the offside rule or with a different offside rule would be a completely different sport
Maybe in other leagues. In the PL it's not.

It certainly was a thing. It was a referee guideline. The rules of football aren't really the same in every league even though they are the same on paper because each FA put certain emphasis on their refereeing. For example just before VAR a handball in Spain was a yellow card no matter what. That's not in the rules.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
it would be a bit like futsal. players just stretching the pitch as much as possible, and a lot of 1 on 1

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
it would be a bit like futsal. players just stretching the pitch as much as possible, and a lot of 1 on 1
Actually teams only do that when trying fast direct counters, because the team needs to move like a block in futsal in order to be able to pressure the opponent immediately after loosing possession.

Stig

It was tried.

The Watney Mann Invitation Cup (normally referred to as simply the Watney Cup) was a short-lived English football tournament held in the early 1970s.

It was held before the start of the season, and was contested by the teams that had scored the most goals in each of the four divisions of the Football League the previous season who had not been promoted or admitted to one of the European competitions.[1] Two teams from each division took part, making eight participants in total.[1]

The competition was a straight knockout format, each match was a one-off with no replays. The final took place at the home ground of one of the finalists, rather than a neutral venue.[2]

The competition was so named thanks to a sponsorship deal with the Watney Mann brewery; the first tournament for English Football League clubs to sell its naming rights.[1][3] The tournament ran four times, from 1970 to 1973, before being discontinued.[1]

From the second season of the competition, the off-side law was applied from the edge of the penalty areas only (instead of the half-way line).[1] This measure was designed to reduce midfield congestion and promote more goals, at a time when defences were becoming much better organised.[4]

The first ever penalty shootout in England took place[1] in a semi-final of the 1970 tournament between Hull City and Manchester United, and was won by Manchester United. The first footballer to take a kick was George Best, and the first to miss was Denis Law, whose attempt was saved by Hull goalkeeper Ian McKechnie. McKechnie became the first player to miss a deciding kick, when he shot wide after taking the fifth kick for Hull in the shoot-out.[5]

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
The benefit of the doubt concept, was more about keeping the status quo until you were SURE (as a referee), it had changed. You don't give the goal unless you are CERTAIN the ball crossed the line. The ball is in play until you are CERTAIN it's not. Every player is onside until you are CERTAIN they aren't, and so on. That's the way it should be. No offside, football would either be as pointless as basketball, or more likely with the big pitches, just become a punt fest with no midfield football to speak off, since at least one player would stand with the keeper, and thus defenders would need to go back to keep an eye on him. So on and so on.

Bobski

The offside rule is actually genius and the game as we know it does not exist without it. It would devolve into an ugly goal hanging mess of a sport.
I agree with this, the game would be insanely stretched, there would be more goals but it would be an uglier more chaotic game. No offside can work in smaller spaces in 5-8 aside formats, easier to cover the space, but on a big pitch it makes defending near enough impossible. Have played practice matches without offside and some clown will always take the piss by goal-hanging at an extreme level, on a counter attack if if it is a 4 v 3 one player can just run to stand in front of the keeper forcing a defender to drop with him and massive shooting space for the player on the ball, as pressing him is near enough pointless when his teammates can stand where they want.

More goals will not neccesarily make the game more interesting, have always believed that it is the difficulty in scoring that makes football so compelling. US sports have moved in the direction of changing all the rules to benefit offensive play, the NBA especially has become rather boring because of it to me.

Last edited: