Footballers you honestly felt gutted for

Blood Mage

Phil Jones. A world class talent who became a meme after his body broke down.

Red Stone

Rather strange that on a Manchester United forum nobody's mentioned Munich.
This. When it comes to players, Duncan Edwards is the biggest "what if" in football in my book. Obviously there's also the question of what the Babes could have accomplished as a team, but if you had to pick just one player it's Big Dunc all day, every day. From what I've read he seemed almost mythical even when he was alive, and only became more so after the crash. Only 21 too.

Rojofiam

For managers to have a favourable narrative, personality is really essential. Ole's personality puts him much lower in the people's minds than he deserves.

Someone like Rangnick has the perfect personality to brainwash people into thinking that he's a brilliant manager.
But then how did Lampard convince some people that he's good...or will eventually become good :lol:

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
But then how did Lampard convince some people that he's good...or will eventually become good :lol:
The British media loves him. One of the biggest PL icons around. Barring United fans, no one cares about Ole.

But, by now people are starting to criticise Lampard more and more. Most people don't rate him anymore.

Initially, Lampard had a lot of factors going for him.

Withnail

None. They are people I really don't know. I can't feel "bad" for average brained individuals fecking up their careers. What if they're idiots in real life? What if they're Benjamin Mendy?

Don't give a single feck what happens to them, to be completely honest.

In regards to bad career paths, there are a few like Pato, Balotelli, R9. I care as much to write this post, but this is where the buck ends.
I feel sorry for this poster and their complete lack of empathy.

Camilo

John Kennedy at Celtic. Good defender, definitely SPL, Championship, maybe bottom half EPL level potential. Had his knee destroyed with one dodgy tackle (I think?! Can't quite remember and I'm too lazy to look it up) and never really played again.

UpWithRivers

None of them. They had better chances/options/money etc than 90 percent of the rest of the world. Boo hoo. Cry me a river

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Anyone who has "regrets" after their playing career really (as long as it wasn't due to being unprofessional).

Players who suffered a lot of injury or (mental health problems) for sure.

I can't imagine what it must be like to have the talent to play at the top level but your body won't let you, it has to be one of the most frustrating experiences in life.

Also players who make enormous mistakes in big games (Karius ,Gerrard off the top of my head recently) and have an inability to get over it due to the fact it obviously haunts them (Bill Buckner maybe? Seen him on Curb recently) .

I heard an interview with Gerrard (during the first lockdown I think) where he says he thinks about it every day and how he let everyone down etc and I just think "fecking Hell, Let it go" but some people can't (I know it's easy for me to say as I didn't embarrass myself in front of the entire world).

Reminds me of Bret Hart after the Montreal Screwjob, it can't be good for your long term health.

It's why I'll always have sympathy for Jones, he's had the injury issues and made mistakes in games and came under a lot of mental pressure.

His comment about a potential testimonial was really sad.

Last edited:

AlexUTD

Owen Hargreaves,the man had some crazy good games his first season in United especially his freekick goal against Arsenal. Sadly he rarely played after that season.

Manchester Utd: 2007-2008 Played 23 Scored 2 goals (Premiership)
2008-2009 Played 2 Scored 0 goals (Premiership)
2009-2010 Played 1 Scored 0 goals (Premiership)
2010-2011 Played 1 Scored 0 goals (Premiership)
Free transfer to Man. City on 31/8/2011.

Owen Hargreaves only played 2 league games for Man City.

digitalmpu

The Busby babes. Sometimes I wonder if Tommy Taylor had another 6 to 8 years in United shirt, what might his goal tally have been!

studs

How the feck can you feel gutted for somebody you've never met and that has made millions playing football they were shit at and probably will never meet? Oh woe is me.

GL21

Liam Millar...makes me so sad, Rest in peace

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
The bullying victims at a time when it was deemed to be ok on British TV.

Chadwick with the barrage of abuse he got about his looks. His whole family and friends watch as Hancock and Co. mocked him is insanely sad to think about.

Jason Lee is the other, who was mercilessly ridiculed on a weekly basis by Skinner and Baddiel. It felt really uncomfortable at the time, but it feels even worse today and had racist undertones in this case too.

No consideration for their mental well-being, tasteless and has inevitably robbed them of many nights and days of peace. It hurts to think about what they both must have gone through.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
The bullying victims at a time when it was deemed to be ok on British TV.

Chadwick with the barrage of abuse he got about his looks. His whole family and friends watch as Hancock and Co. mocked him is insanely sad to think about.

Jason Lee is the other, who was mercilessly ridiculed on a weekly basis by Skinner and Baddiel. It felt really uncomfortable at the time, but it feels even worse today and had racist undertones in this case too.

No consideration for their mental well-being, tasteless and has inevitably robbed them of many nights and days of peace. It hurts to think about what they both must have gone through.
Agreed, Chadwick got awful shit at the tail end of when it was ok for TV to behave like that

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Donny vd Beek. I mean look at this beautiful video about his hopes and dreams which doesn't make your soul physically cringe at all and they've all been crushed by evil, clueless United who are unable to correctly utilise his genius.

He actually looks like the kid in the video while playing for United.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I've always felt bad for Buffon simply because he could never get that Champions League trophy he deserved. Three runners up medals with Juventus as well.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Agreed, Chadwick got awful shit at the tail end of when it was ok for TV to behave like that
He was so young at the time too. Just a youngster trying to make it in the game, and inevitably insecure about his looks as we all are at that age. It’s just really sad to think about.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Norman Whiteside.
I thought he would be the natural successor to Best.
Not just because he played for Northern Ireland.
He had so much ability as a footballer.
And he was built like a brickhouse.
His injury brought his playing days to an untimely end.

Frank Grimes

The only time I felt gutted for a footballer was when Berbatov spoke of the time he was in tears after Ferguson dropped him from 2011 Champions League final.
Will never understand how Owen took his place, he was joint top scorer in Premier League that season. Lost a bit of respect for Ferguson after that.

Tarrou

Rodrigo Possebon. Was starting to make waves in the first team, got injured badly against Boro and was never heard of again.
I don’t think the injury was that bad he just wasn’t very good at football

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Norman Whiteside.
I thought he would be the natural successor to Best.
Not just because he played for Northern Ireland.
He had so much ability as a footballer.
And he was built like a brickhouse.
His injury brought his playing days to an untimely end.
Do you recall him much? How was he under Fergie? For a lad sort of painted as a complete failure, he made quite a few appearances

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Sorry my bad. Was thinking of the war in Ukraine, starving children, poverty and on and on and I forgot all about the poor footballers.
Do you have an empathy limit? You can feel bad for those all those things (and more) and footballers too?

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Sorry my bad. Was thinking of the war in Ukraine, starving children, poverty and on and on and I forgot all about the poor footballers.
Oh how virtuous of you.

I'd start looking hard to see who really has it the worst and only feel sorry for them. I'm sure those in Ukraine, starving children and the impoverished have it golden compared to at least someone else. There's always a bottom.

UpWithRivers

Do you have an empathy limit? You can feel bad for those all those things (and more) and footballers too?
do people never get bored of saying this shit? Just reeling off everything worse they can think of to dismiss stuff?
Oh how virtuous of you.

I'd start looking hard to see who really has it the worst and only feel sorry for them. I'm sure those in Ukraine, starving children and the impoverished have it golden compared to at least someone else. There's always a bottom.
I literally said I was wrong. Footballers deserve our empathy as well. I think I was just blocking it out. The darkness. I weep for Phil Jones and those little pink boots he hardly gets to wear.

Crickus

Juan Veron. I think he joined the preimership about 5 years to early. I think if he played now he would be up there with the De Brunye and Thiago of this world. Classy player but very much in the physical days of the Premiership.

Forlan . Clearly a good striker but we had good options at the time.

Rossi. Injuries robbed the guy . Clearly talented and could score

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Juan Veron. I think he joined the preimership about 5 years to early. I think if he played now he would be up there with the De Brunye and Thiago of this world. Classy player but very much in the physical days of the Premiership.

Forlan . Clearly a good striker but we had good options at the time.

Rossi. Injuries robbed the guy . Clearly talented and could score
Rossi is a big one. Hugely talented player and when he got a few months of fitness at Fiorentina around 2014 he showed it once again. So close to moving to Barca the summer they signed Villa.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Those who die young are my choice so the likes of Reyes and more majorly (before my time obviously) the perished United and turin teams and more recently the tragic crash in Brazil.