Footballers you honestly felt gutted for

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I was young and didnt follow football but Roberto Baggio springs to mind. The world at his feet and that penalty kick miss happened. Never really got the praise he deserved, Alessandro del Pierro ousting his post and ended up retiring with no fanfare.

Ronaldo 9 getting injured and taking away his career. What could have been if he was blessed with Ronaldo fitness and perseverance.

Anyone else?

KeanoMagicHat

I've felt sorry for Phil Jones being such a figure of mockery when he was genuinely a potentially world-class defensive prospect. Getting injured constantly will damage anyone's performance and development. When he said that he wouldn't have a testimonial because it was too embarrassing, after Ferguson once said he could be one of our greatest ever players, it was sad to read. Obviously anyone at the top level is paid well for it, but money doesn't solve everything.

Abou Diaby is another player who was potentially great but just ravaged by injuries.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Norman whiteside and Van Basten spring to mind when thinking about injuries.

Remember World Cup 1998 and Ronaldo was scary how good he was.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Pogba for wasting his immense talent and continued application during his prime years at a terrible football club. I really think we did him wrong.
this is a joke

svn

Dean Ashton. Broke his ankle while on international duty aged 23 and was never the same after that. Retired when he was 26. Robbed of a career.

BigDycheEnergy

It's a toss up between two types of players:

1. Players who burst into the scene and then have their careers ruined by injuries early on only to never recover.
2. Academy players with no Plan B who don't make it and then get discarded like trash.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Pogba for wasting his immense talent and continued application during his prime years at a terrible football club. I really think we did him wrong.
this is a joke
White text aside I do genuinely agree. We were never the right club for Pogba and the man has wasted the best part of his career here, while getting paid handsomely for his trouble. C'est la vie.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
A couple of ex United players whose careers were ruined by injury (at least one playing or England rather than us): Ian Storey Moore and Neil Webb

Matt007a

Dean Ashton. Broke his ankle while on international duty aged 23 and was never the same after that. Retired when he was 26. Robbed of a career.
That was a sad one. Everyone loves a player who comes from the lower leagues and makes it to the top. He could have gone up another level from West Ham and got several England caps had that not happened. Seems like a nice guy as well.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Phil Jones
Harry Maguire

Dogs abuse. Even from their own fans.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Ricardo Quaresma.

Still had a respectable career but you can tell he regrets not taking advantage of his world class talent.

Another random one is Bruma. I was convinced this kid was going to light up the world, sadly he is legitimately stupid and was taken advantage of by his con of an agent.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
That was a sad one. Everyone loves a player who comes from the lower leagues and makes it to the top. He could have gone up another level from West Ham and got several England caps had that not happened. Seems like a nice guy as well.
He scored a cracking overhead kick against us once. I remember a few supporters applauding it

Rojofiam

Injuries: Jones, Bailly, Ramsey, Shaw, Eduardo, etc. no one else comes to mind right now but there's surely a lot of them

Had the talent to become a world beater: Pogba, Januzaj, Martial, Morrison, Bailly, Wilshere

Maguire for being a scapegoat of our season and receiving more abuse than I've ever seen a footballer receive and being memed to a point where people genuinely think he's a Sunday League player whilst he would be the best defender at any club in the PL except Pool and City.

Managers: Ole, same as Maguire basically, a very decent manager, the one who started our rebuild and did almost everything right until the emotional decision to bring back Ronaldo. He's 10 times the manager people like Rangnick or Lampard will ever be, but once social media decides on a narrative, it won't change. Same as Arteta, a very good manager labelled "lego Pep" here...

bringbackbebe

Brazilian Ronaldo who missed several peak years of his career due to injury. We missed a lot as fans. I also felt sorry for Owen Hargreaves, but turned out to be a cnut and joined City, so don't really care for him.

Robindinho

Greenwood... What likely would have been and he's thrown it away.

Just to clarify; gutted from a fans POV/waste of talent, not him being a cnut.

OverratedOpinion

Andy Cole. Gets absolutely nowhere near the credit he deserves, especially outside of Utd fans.

Trequarista10

As much as he's an unlikeable gimp, Michael Owen. He was electric from 17 to 22 or so, would have absolutely demolished the England goal scoring record and probably the PL record too if he'd been injury free.

ashneel

Harry Maguire, because of the online abuse he gets..that's brutal. Chicharito who obviously had genuine love for United and imo got unfairly treated by Van Gaal

TheReligion

Abusive
Marcelo Salas - Career was good, really good infact, but his 5 years at Juve were ruined in arguably his peak by his ACL injury and subsequent others.

He could easily be spoken about on the same level as Ronaldo and the other great CFs had that not happened. Phenomenal player.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Andy Cole. Gets absolutely nowhere near the credit he deserves, especially outside of Utd fans.
Cole is criminally underrated these days. He's up there on the PL all time goalscorers list and is barely mentioned when people talk about the great strikers that have played in the league. Has there been any shouts for him to be inducted in that PL hall of fame?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
My older cousin made a few appearances for Swansea but ended up missing two seasons back to back with two serious injuries. Still had a good career in the Welsh league and is a coach now but hard not to feel sympathy for someone who was very dedicated and professional but had some pretty cruel luck.

Always feel sorry for players who struggle with injuries

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Any player who has had the trajectory of their career altered by untimely injuries. Hate seeing it. Lots of good shouts already along those lines.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The Maguire abuse has gotten toxic. He’s become a meme and I feel bad for how it must be affecting him and his family.

OverratedOpinion

Cole is criminally underrated these days. He's up there on the PL all time goalscorers list and is barely mentioned when people talk about the great strikers that have played in the league. Has there been any shouts for him to be inducted in that PL hall of fame?
I believe he was nominated last year.

I think people underrate him because he was part of a great team and because they view him as half of a famous partnership with Yorke rather than a standalone legend. Ignoring him scoring over 40 in a single season for Newcastle.

Scored some absolutely stunning goals in his time too and developed into a lovely passer of the ball.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I believe he was nominated last year.

I think people underrate him because he was part of a great team and because they view him as half of a famous partnership with Yorke rather than a standalone legend. Ignoring him scoring over 40 in a single season for Newcastle.

Scored some absolutely stunning goals in his time too and developed into a lovely passer of the ball.
They underrate him because Glenn Hoddle butchered him in public with the whole “he needs 5 chances for 1 goal” comment.

Big Andy

Bloke
Rodrigo Possebon. Was starting to make waves in the first team, got injured badly against Boro and was never heard of again.

sillwuka

Luke Chadwick,

Scott Mctominay currently gets dogs abuse on social media, he's apparently a championship player and useless according to Twitter.

LARulz

Chadwick is a good shout

Phil Jones - injuries fecked him and became a joke to people

Ronaldo (Brazil) - yes monster career but feel without his injuries what could have happened