Foreign secretary advice to LGBT fans.... Be respectful

redcucumber

You guys should look up the definition of a sovereign state. That’s what Qatar is. They run their country by their rules, religious or otherwise. Have a problem with it? Don’t go, nobody’s forcing you?

If someone comes to the states and tells me not to drink/smoke etc then that’s a seperate issue, because the USA, and the UK, like Qatar, are sovereign states.

also people calling them backward etc, its their religion so their choice. I don’t know about you guys but freedom of religion seems like a pretty important part of any forward thinking society, it certainly is here. You don’t have to agree with their religion but if you are CHOOSING to go to their country, then you have to respect it. Simple.
Maybe they shouldn't have applied to host the World Cup if they don't want a certain type of human being going.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
You see? You see that statement and see offense rather than plainly see respect their culture. Show them respect first, it’s their flipping country. It’s their rules and customs. Damn you guys are something else. Do you Europeans I’m one myself too btw don’t know other countries have different customs and laws from the Middle East to Asia to Africa. I’ve been around the world and learn first that I need to be respectful no matter what as I’m in their land. It’s not a difficult concept.
There has to be a line though, where it's no longer right to be respectful of differences in culture. I've been to a few countries with different cultures and customs, and I like to think I respect them - e.g. not wearing shorts around religious buildings or areas, trying to grasp the difference in table manners, etc. But there's a line surely?

BD

Nothing.

If you make out with him you'd be arrested and treated as a heterosexual couple will be treated.

Do you know how many expats live in the middle East ? like @therealtboy mentioned. You think they'd live here if they're executing gay people weekly ?
I don't actually - I'm genuinely curious. So a same sex couple would face the exact same treatment (punishment) as a heterosexual couple would, if they held hands or kissed in public?

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Nothing.

If you make out with him you'd be arrested and treated as a heterosexual couple will be treated.

Do you know how many expats live in the middle East ? like @therealtboy mentioned. You think they'd live here if they're executing gay people weekly ?
Exactly. My building alone here in Dubai has more Brit’s than my apartment building in East London when I lived there. There are so many expats here and they all understand the rules and customs and respect it. Not hard to do. Damn

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
You see? You see that statement and see offense rather than plainly see respect their culture. Show them respect first, it’s their flipping country. It’s their rules and customs. Damn you guys are something else. Do you Europeans I’m one myself too btw don’t know other countries have different customs and laws from the Middle East to Asia to Africa. I’ve been around the world and learn first that I need to be respectful no matter what as I’m in their land. It’s not a difficult concept.
too right. just woke pc babies nowadays. it would be better if we just went back a thousand years and we had a sword fight to the death to see who got the next world cup, like they used to do. feck all this progress and enlightenment and just letting people be people. people should die from the black death or in a viking invasion. they wouldn’t even have time to worry about someone seeing them kiss their boyfriend in public.

redcucumber

You couldn’t be more disingenuous if you tried. See the examples you just brought up. Not worth talking to you if you’re going to just dilute this conversation with this level of made up vitriol.
How is it any different to racism and sexism? Homophobia is another form of discrimination.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Do you respect the culture of segregation in the US or appartheid in South Africa. Does culture override human rights?

the_cliff

I don't actually - I'm genuinely curious. So a same sex couple would face the exact same treatment (punishment) as a heterosexual couple would, if they held hands or kissed in public?
Holding hands is fine. Licking each others faces off is not.

And yes you would.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Could be wrong but isn’t it fairly normal for straight male friends to walk around holding hands in a lot of Middle Eastern countries?
It is especially the South Asians I see it all the time and nothing happens to them. Gay or not it’s not punished and they do it openly, the lies that have been coming out about the whole thing are perplexing for me as I’ve lived here for years and seen nothing of the such. Loads of my friends here are European and with the large expat community here, some of the LGBTQ community have no problems with it.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
I'm not judging the people in the country, I'm arguing that holding a world Cup in a country that still treats homosexuality as a crime, is a shit idea and it is fair grounds for taking a stand and boycotting it.
Yeah but we knew this was the case when they bribed who ever it was they bribed to get to host the tournament.

By all mean boycott it, I know a few people who are going to boycott watching it due to their treatment of workers who were building the stadiums/infrastructure.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Do you respect the culture of segregation in the US or appartheid in South Africa. Does culture override human rights?
Comparing race to this? Really? The struggles of blacks to the LGBTQ struggle. I won’t even go there. Stay on point. This is about religion and their rules and for 1 month only they say don’t show OTT display of affection in public not that they shouldn’t come in. I know many LGBTQ here in UAE they aren’t in jail cells. Even being straight you can’t show OTT DOA in public so what’s this outrage. Please do more to know the actual facts than what lies you’ve been fed. Listen to those who live here everyday.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
You couldn’t be more disingenuous if you tried. See the examples you just brought up. Not worth talking to you if you’re going to just dilute this conversation with this level of made up vitriol.
It's a hypothetical argument to show that the underlying argument you are making is flawed.

I'm pointing out that you cannot just argue blanket tolerance and acceptance must be given for everything by merely labeling it as either a cultural more or a part of a belief system.

If you are unable to comprehend what I'm saying here then I agree, further discussion about it is pointless.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
too right. just woke pc babies nowadays. it would be better if we just went back a thousand years and we had a sword fight to the death to see who got the next world cup, like they used to do. feck all this progress and enlightenment and just letting people be people. people should die from the black death or in a viking invasion. they wouldn’t even have time to worry about someone seeing them kiss their boyfriend in public.
Haha, another Rimaldo special. Sarcasm turned up to a 100. Why don’t we burn them all while we are at it too? Witch style. This thread….

They should change? They said respect our culture for a month and then leave to do as you please. They should change what they believe in as a whole country just for LGBTQ to do as they please? Even straight couples have to be decent on public and for us foreigners living in this region for years we’ve abided by the rules and don’t have a problem but you guys are making it a big deal. So many expats here and they are respectful maybe you should castigate them too. Don’t watch the backwards World Cup then. Do your bit for the cause.
They should change if they want to hold a World event for all people obviously. If they don’t, they are the ones that shouldn’t apply and if it wasn’t for corrupt at feck oil riches no-one would’ve contemplated it, for just these reasons.

I’ll just make it clear again, anyone with backwards opinions, should change. Iran should listen to their fecking women too whilst we’re at it, and those woman shouldn’t just respect that people like to maintain some form of sexual control over them.

Weird it debatable but there you go.

BD

Holding hands is fine. Licking each others faces off is not.

And yes you would.
Ok then - so why have LGBT groups and similar expressed concern at Qatar hosting it? I don't mean that question as some sort of a gotcha, again I'm just wondering.

And do you think there should just be a blanket acceptance of all cultures, no matter what culture might belief or act upon?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Comparing race to this? Really? The struggles of blacks to the LGBTQ struggle. I won’t even go there. Stay on point. This is about religion and their rules and for 1 month only they say don’t show OTT display of affection in public not that they shouldn’t come in. I know many LGBTQ here in UAE they aren’t in jail cells. Even being straight you can’t show OTT DOA in public so what’s this outrage. Please do more to know the actual facts than what lies you’ve been fed. Listen to those who live here everyday.
STFU Amnesty, a dude who lives there says it's grand.

So I take it you not actually answering the questions means you are accepting of the culture argument for discrimination in other circumstances.

People should not be allowed to be people, fecking ell what’s wrong with you man?

The people in control should decide how much sexuality is ok, because they have a lovely long blood line of wealth and power. It’s always been that way, who the feck are you to want to take their power away?

the_cliff

Could be wrong but isn’t it fairly normal for straight male friends to walk around holding hands in a lot of Middle Eastern countries?
Even in greeting. Male straight friends in the middle East will touch cheeks similar to the French greeting. Never seen anyone get arrested for it...

Varun

Staff
The feck up is to have the world cup there but once that's done, what other advisory are people expecting? Go and do what you want in public? That won't make for a very pleasant trip in all likelihood

Boavista

Why do some people always deflect and construct this straw man argument about public displays of affection just because that equally applies to everyone, when that's hardly what people are advocating for? I don't see anyone declaring public displays of affection a human right, and something they must be able to do in Qatar.

The discourse is about homosexuality being illegal, also in private. The fact that the state doesn't systematically enforce it, because culturally and legally everything affectionate must only happen in private anyway, isn't the end of the argument that some apologists on here think it is.

From the way some people don't want to understand that it's about principles, kind of suggests they'd condemn any human rights activism at any point in history and justify anything in the name of culture or religion.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Easier to just be respectful than to be offended. What’s so crazy about being respectful of the host nations culture? You want them to change 100s of years of cultural history in the region to accommodate a select few? Just be respectful for a month and so and go back home and continue. It’s that simple.
Sounds like you're ok with with discrimination against LGBTQ folks. Or am I reading this wrong ?

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
They should change if they want to hold a World event for all people obviously. If they don’t, they are the ones that shouldn’t apply and if it wasn’t for corrupt at feck oil riches no-one would’ve contemplated it, for just these reasons.

I’ll just make it clear again, anyone with backwards opinions, should change. Iran should listen to their fecking women too whilst we’re at it, and those woman shouldn’t just respect that people like to maintain some form of sexual control over them.

Weird it debatable but there you go.
Some countries should also learn not to invade sovereign countries or give weapons to those that currently are. But then again they won't and we'll continue to not care.

One rule for one, another for others.

Qatar should definitely change their laws and become a democracy, but then also the image people have of the middle east is coming from those that haven't lived or visited there. I saw a street that was pretty clearly full of prostitutes in the open, from the image people have you'd think they would be killed immediately but ofcourse that's not what happens.

They also want to make themselves viable for western people to live in with their culture. It's a weird mix where you can do what you want to do but just in the privacy of your own house.

The guys who really are treated sh*t are the poor people who come from south and east Asian countries.

Last edited:

FCAES_7

How many people who are attacking Qatar ever been there? It's inaccurate to say they punish homosexuality by death or any other mean! They have a rule that sexual acts is not allowed in public was it homosexual or not! Is it a perfect country ofcourse not, but homosexuality is not one of the issues they have. The treatment of workers yes 100% a problem and the WC helped shed a light on it and is being tackled and improved from where it was 10 years ago. Sometimes it's hard to grasp that not everyone in the world think, or believe in the same way

Reactions: Rood

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
People should not be allowed to be people, fecking ell what’s wrong with you man?

The people in control should decide how much sexuality is ok, because they have a lovely long blood line of wealth and power. It’s always been that way, who the feck are you to want to take their power away?
indeed. i write to king charles every time i wish to fornicate with my wife and send him pictures to prove that she is not a man.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Shit hole? Qatar? Nah mate, it’s actually a beautiful country.
careful. you’ve put “qatar” and “shit hole?” in the same sentence and sent it to another man. you’ll be on some kind of list now.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Sounds like you're ok with with discrimination against LGBTQ folks. Or am I reading this wrong ?
You and many others are reading it wrong go and completely reading the whole thing wrong. I live in the region and as an expat also have to be respectful. Public DOA is something even straights have to be respectful of. So many expats here who are also aware of this and are being respectful so what’s your problem. It’s their country? No?

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Some countries should also learn not to invade sovereign countries or give weapons to those that currently are. But then again they won't and we'll continue to not care.

I'm not disagreeing with your point, but these things are not mutually exclusive. Just because one bad thing happens unchallenged, it doesn't make it wrong to challenge another bad thing.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord

Exactly, the hypocrisy on this thread is amazing.

Newtonius

Pff a lot of Europeans are self hating westerners who don't even respect their own culture why would they respect others.

antk

You can be against homophobia and neo-colonialism at the same time, you know.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
careful. you’ve put “qatar” and “shit hole?” in the same sentence and sent it to another man. you’ll be on some kind of list now.
I’ll refer you to the last sentence. My grammar will also ensure that doesn’t happen. Silly comment.