Foreign secretary advice to LGBT fans.... Be respectful

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I'm not disagreeing with your point, but these things are not mutually exclusive. Just because one bad thing happens unchallenged, it doesn't make it wrong to challenge another bad thing.
Yes but what annoys me is that no one will use that as a reason to boycott a tournament or even show activism against it.

Qatar is sh*t, but that isn't reason enough to boycott the tournament if other sh*t countries are allowed to host it as well.

EDIT: wait I just saw you said because one isn't challenged doesn't mean it's wrong to challenge another. Then I completely disagree :D that is blatant hypocrisy.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Isn't the LGBT community unofficially boycotting the World Cup anyways??

All of my LGBT friends basically said that they wouldn't go to a country where the discrimination is this blatant and disturbing.

I can't see too many people from the LGBT community going to this crappy place.

the_cliff

Yes but what annoys me is that no one will use that as a reason to boycott a tournament or even show activism against it. When the shoe is on the other foot the challenges will suddenly disappear.

Qatar is sh*t, but that isn't reason enough to boycott the tournament if other sh*t countries are allowed to host it as well.
There won't be one thread on boycott USA 2026. :lol:

You and many others are reading it wrong go and completely reading the whole thing wrong. I live in the region and as an expat also have to be respectful. Public DOA is something even straights have to be respectful of. So many expats here who are also aware of this and are being respectful so what’s your problem. It’s their country? No?
Well, it’s the people in power deciding actually, just as they currently do in Iran, and previously in the UK woman couldn’t vote either, it just was that way, so thank God woman like Moss Side’s Emmeline Pankhurst exist and the World aint just full of therealtboy’s bowing down to the rich and powerful.

If some fecking knobheads with inherited titles want to decide over millions with backwards as feck ideas about sex, we absolutely should not just say “it’s their country, accept it”.

NewYorkRed

Maybe they shouldn't have applied to host the World Cup if they don't want a certain type of human being going.
Maybe the corrupt people from the West shouldn’t have accepted their bribes?

Exactly, don't go. It's criminal, like segregationist USA and apartheid South Africa.
And like Colonial Britain. See a trend bud?

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Europeans: This is horrific! Why should we respect backwards cultures?

Also Europeans: Take that hijab off! You can't wear it in school! Respect our culture!

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Why do some people always deflect and construct this straw man argument about public displays of affection just because that equally applies to everyone, when that's hardly what people are advocating for? I don't see anyone declaring public displays of affection a human right, and something they must be able to do in Qatar.

The discourse is about homosexuality being illegal, also in private. The fact that the state doesn't systematically enforce it, because culturally and legally everything affectionate must only happen in private anyway, isn't the end of the argument that some apologists on here think it is.

From the way some people don't want to understand that it's about principles, kind of suggests they'd condemn any human rights activism at any point in history and justify anything in the name of culture or religion.
Good post.

antk

Also Europeans: Take that hijab off! You can't wear it in school! Respect our culture!
You can be against homophobia and islamophobia at the same time, you know.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

This may be hard for you to comprehend but in my experience the people fighting for LGBT rights also tend to stick up for the rights of other minorities.

NewYorkRed

Are you telling an Irishman Colonial Britain is bad to win an argument ?

That's fecking hilarious.

Whats your point exactly?
Am I supposed to know where you’re from?

You brought up SA and the US which were both awful. I brought up colonial Britain which was also horrible. Qatar’s rules are also awful. Still don’t see a trend? All countries have done awful shit, so the uproar around Qatar in particular seems just a tad hypocritical, no? Don’t remember this during Russia. My point remains, you don’t like it, literally not a single person is forcing you to and I doubt Qatar gives an iota of a F*ck too considering how rich they are and also considering a ton of people will end up going regardless.

Actually the second group in my experience are much more likely to not call the law against homosexuality horrific.
Think you’re mixing up two completely different type of people in your post :lol:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Easier to just be respectful than to be offended. What’s so crazy about being respectful of the host nations culture? You want them to change 100s of years of cultural history in the region to accommodate a select few? Just be respectful for a month and so and go back home and continue. It’s that simple.
This isn't a case of different but somewhat valid societal outlooks coming into conflict, where we might say that the person visiting a country should adapt to their norms to be respectful to their host's culture.

Homophobia isn't valid. It's vile. And if it's a central part of a country's culture then that part of their culture is also vile, should be condemned and pressure should of course be placed on them to abandon it. We don't need to obfuscate our very clear moral position just because the other side claim their morally reprehensible outlook is part of their "cultural history". It's still wrong and deserving of zero respect. In fact that pressure to change was supposed to be one of the benefits of allowing them to host the WC, at least according to some of the idiots who defended it.

Obviously homosexual attendees to the WC need to be cautioned in this regard and it's the UK government's responsibility to do so. But the language used in cautioning them should be one that comdemns the host's position on homsexuality. Not one that asks homosexuals to "respect" direct homophobia, which is ridiculous.

You brought up SA and the US which were both awful. I brought up colonial Britain which was also horrible. Qatar’s rules are also awful. Still don’t see a trend? All countries have done awful shit, so the uproar around Qatar in particular seems just a tad hypocritical, no?
Who is sticking up for the awful shit though? :lol:

It’s not fecking hypocritical if we are against all of that awful shit is it man?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

You brought up SA and the US which were both awful. I brought up colonial Britain which was also horrible. Qatar’s rules are also awful. Still don’t see a trend? All countries have done awful shit, so the uproar around Qatar in particular seems just a tad hypocritical, no? Don’t remember this during Russia. My point remains, you don’t like it, literally not a single person is forcing you to and I doubt Qatar gives an iota of a F*ck too considering how rich they are and also considering a ton of people will end up going regardless.
All countries have done awful shit which people through protest got changed.

This idea of hypocrisy is bizarre like nobody has protested anything before today.

Again, what's your actual point?

NewYorkRed

Who is sticking up for the awful shit though? :lol:

It’s not fecking hypocritical if we are against all of that awful shit is it man?
No it isn’t. Find me this many posts from the Russia WC then though. If you don’t find even 10% as much then would that make it hypocritical?

Chief123

So if I were to go there and hold hands with my boyfriend walking down the street, what would happen to us?
Absolutely nothing. It’s common in Middle Eastern countries for men to hold hands while walking in a cultural manner of friendship. Believe it or not, you’ll even see some resting their head in the lap of their friend. You won’t get executed.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
You and many others are reading it wrong go and completely reading the whole thing wrong. I live in the region and as an expat also have to be respectful. Public DOA is something even straights have to be respectful of. So many expats here who are also aware of this and are being respectful so what’s your problem. It’s their country? No?
It may be "their country" but the historical and cultural epicenter of football is inherently western, as evidenced by where the bulk of good players and clubs are located; as is FIFA, as are most traveling fans. Therefore the social norms that undergird football tournaments will also be in sync with pluralistic values synonymous with Europe, irrespective of where a WC is hosted.

RC89

What does being respectful entail?
You couldn't pay me enough to visit that shit hole.
You ever been there? I'm guessing not, else you'd never say this. Qatar shits on most countries. When was the last time you were able to leave your home unlocked or your possessions unattended in public spaces? Qatar is a beautiful country with wonderful people, majority of whom are expats.

Bole Top

good advice. you should always try your best to respect the host's customs. if you really don't want to, that's also fine but you deserve everything you're getting in that case. it's not like anyone is forcing anyone to visit countries they don't like.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Well this thread is pleasant.

Are certain posters really suggesting that it's intolerant to be against homophobia, transphobia and misogyny? What an absolutely shit take.

Reactions: moses

antk

No it isn’t. Find me this many posts from the Russia WC then though. If you don’t find even 10% as much then would that make it hypocritical?
Even if that was true, it's still unclear to me what your point is. Surely what we would take away from the situation is "we should have criticized Russia more" and not "we should criticize Qatar less"?

Reactions: Cheimoon

RC89

good advice. you should always try your best to respect the host's customs. if you really don't want to, that's also fine but you deserve everything you're getting in that case. it's not like anyone is forcing anyone to visit countries they don't like.
Precisely. It's their country, anyone who goes there is a guest. You wouldn't expect to go into someone's home and tell them how to live. If you find their way of life so offensive, don't go.

antk

Precisely. It's their country, anyone who goes there is a guest. You wouldn't expect to go into someone's home and tell them how to live. If you find their way of life so offensive, don't go.
Do you offer meat to vegan friends when you invite them to your house? Or pork to muslims?

Maybe hosts should actually respect their guests?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
No one here is a guest in their country. We are criticizing it remotely, which is where a vast majority of fans will be watching from.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
This thread will be a two month long dumpster fire. Well done almost all involved so far.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Absolutely nothing. It’s common in Middle Eastern countries for men to hold hands while walking in a cultural manner of friendship. Believe it or not, you’ll even see some resting their head in the lap of their friend. You won’t get executed.
:lol: some posters are pathetic

RC89

No one here is a guest in their country. We are criticizing it remotely, which is where a vast majority of fans will be watching from.
I said anyone who goes is a guest.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
So just read the government's advice, as vague as it is. Guess this means no bumming in the street then. They didn't specifically say but i feel they implied as much?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don't know why people make this argument when it's such obvious, common sense defying nonsense.

If you visit someone's house and they're doing something morally reprehensible, like abusing other members of their family, you don't say silent just because you're a guest.

Nor does the "my house, my rules" argument stop them from facing consequences for the morally reprehensible behaviour from outside their home.

If their behaviour isn't morally reprehensible but rather just different to how you would choose to behave, then that's different. But that isn't the case here as homophobia is wrong, not different.