Foreign secretary advice to LGBT fans.... Be respectful

stevoc

They shouldn't have been put in this position. They should have just let them wear the armbands. Now will they wear the ones FIFA have chosen.
Agree on both counts, but obviously FIFA and now the nationals FAs don't have the spines to stand up to the prejudices of the Qatari government.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I honestly feel like this WC is good for me as it will make me realise how much I need to step back from football. I'm sick of people who are famous being branded as ambassadors and as heros of communities such as the LGBT+ and others but when moments occur when they can truly make a difference to those communities they shrivel and prove that their words are nothing more than that. I think it is an absolute disgrace to speak out in support for causes and communities and not follow through with that in the actions you said you would.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Not if you change captain every game to someone who hasn't already been booked.
What happens if your captain has to make a challenge?

Will you be more understanding of the hesitancy when it comes to the knockouts?

What do you think would happen in a world cup final? A player should start a game on a yellow (a significant disadvantage) because of FIFA?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

What do you think would happen in a world cup final? A player should start a game on a yellow (a significant disadvantage) because of FIFA?
I can just imagine how some out there would react in that situation, supporting the gay community, getting booked then possibly getting sent off, we saw how they reacted to three black players who missed penalties.

Doracle

I’d have taken the booking first game and then backed down. The publicity that would have generated would have been monumental.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

Waited my whole life to watch my country play in a WC. Absolutely guarantee you I’d be more proud of my country/captain/team for wearing it than any football result/competition placing.

So disappointed in them for bowing down. The more I think about it/read stuff on social media, the more pissed off I get.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
For all those who are focusing on the players hypocrisy rather than the organisation who puts them in this position...

Will you be watching today?

Surely this is the last straw?

You won't compromise your morals for something as insignificant as a game?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I’d have taken the booking first game and then backed down. The publicity that would have generated would have been monumental.
As other have said what if Kane got booked again and then is banned and we are down to ten men. It's is an awkward situation. It shouldn't have come to this.

Tibs

Remember that when the squad got their shirts from Prince William, John Terrys photo was one amongst a few others on the inside the box.

The guy got done for racism.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
For all those who are focusing on the players hypocrisy rather than the organisation who puts them in this position...

The players (such as Kane) put themselves in this position. He stated that he and we as a team wanted to wear it.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
This is the "I have loads of black friends" display of support.

If you stand for something then you stand for that thing in the tough times not just when the sun is shining and rainbows are overhead.

I feel like I'm going mad here. Isn't that the whole fecking purpose?

Okey

So a yellow card is all it took to back out of making such an important statement. Just a yellow card?! Maybe it wasn't that important to them after all. So if the whole team are threatened with a yellow for kneeling, they would back out of that too? I wonder if these people listen to themselves. Have they even heard of Colin Kaepernick?

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout

I wasn't watching anyway but there is no "rather". Fifa deserve the pits of hell, the players are just displaying their vapidity.

Okey

Maybe slightly unrelated question, but I wonder...if England were to play America in the US right now, would they consider taking a knee before kickoff?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
5 subs right? Make a sub the captain, take the yellow. Sub him off after 10 minutes of the start. Messes up the tactics at the very start but not too much. Then FIFA will need to introduce something else which will make more noise on this matter.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Maybe slightly unrelated question, but I wonder...if England were to play America in the US right now, would they consider taking a knee before kickoff?
yeah I reckon so

Didnt they take the knee in MLS games before?

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
He stated that he and we as a team wanted to wear it.
He does want to wear it, if he does for 2 games in the group stage he will be banned for the third.

If he wears it in the last 16 game and gets a booking he will be sent off and miss the quarter.

If they manage to get through, same thing for the final.

Now I can either choose to blame Kane for this or the governing body who is choosing to punish them for trying to show support.

I choose to focus my annoyance on FIFA but (as they've already awarded the World Cup to Russia and Qatar recently) I'm.not surprised.

philipos

I agree with your sentiments and it is disgusting if they are treated as described in your link. All people of all religions and none should be afforded respect and equality wherever they live. I hope and pray you are just as enthusiastic and critical if people of other faiths and religions are not treated in the same manner in other parts of the world. Let's not be blindsided by just people of one faith.

Polite request: Can you please paste a link whenever you copy and paste.
I note your request about posting links - my apologies.

I can assure you that I completely agree that everyone, whatever their faith and wherever they live, should be allowed the freedom to practice their faith unhindered by local laws and societal threats.

hodgey123

Disappointed but not surprised. Hate the term but it really is virtue-signalling if they don't wear it just for the risk of a yellow card.

stevoc

That would have been up to the players to decide how much wearing the armband and standing against discrimination towards LGBT folk.

As it turns out they only wanted to stand up for it, if it didn't cost them anything. So it's all a moot point now really.

Marwood

If it goes ahead it goes ahead. I'm not taking issue with that. I was just questioning if it's Qatar or FIFA who need the focus.

I was saying that for those invested in LGBTQ issues, but it could have been any issue just focussed on that as it's the focus, need to make it an all time thing. I don't like gesturing and bandwagon jumping. That's across the board.

And yes I am Muslim and the answer is a little more nuanced than people believe. Islamically sodomy is seen as a sin. The gender isn't relevant. Also in Islam things are not as simple as illegal or legal. For example drinking alcohol isn't allowed. It's a sin too. Yet people drink and have drank in the past. They are seen as bad Muslims but not beyond "redemption" forgiveness etc. The only time it becomes "illegal" is openly and publicly in an islamic state/country where 100% Islam is being followed.

Same with homosexuality, or sex in general. What happens between two people is between two people. Consensual obviously. Do what you want and if you are a believer it's between you and God.

Transgender is different.

Today no country has 100% Islam. You can't have bits where it suits. To do so is injustice. The rules on oppression and injustice are more powerful/relevant/worthy of attention (not sure right word). So for me personally I can dislike something whether personally or religiously but I can't be unjust or oppressive. I can dislike a concept but not an individual. I must not oppress or be unjust.

Not sure how this comes across or will be taken. I've tried to answer it
I was more interested in what you think rather than "in Islam it says..."

Do you think homosexuality is immoral? Do you think it should be illegal or not? Straightforward questions I think.

Of course you don't have to answer but given the nature of the thread transparency would be good.

hodgey123

He does want to wear it, if he does for 2 games in the group stage he will be banned for the third.

If he wears it in the last 16 game and gets a booking he will be sent off and miss the quarter.

Now I can either choose to blame Kane for this or the governing body who is choosing to punish them for trying to show support.

I choose to focus my annoyance on FIFA but (as they've already awarded the World Cup to Russia and Qatar recently) I'm.not surprised.
They could just rotate it between players if one of them did actually get booked?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

I blame FIFA for making this a rule and I blame Kane for showing that his words are not true.

stevoc

Reckon Garry and the rest of the pundits should put one on as well, you can't really book a pundit can you.
Isn't Gary working for Beinn sport at this World Cup?

So basically the Qatari government.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Disappointed but not surprised. Hate the term but it really is virtue-signalling if they don't wear it just for the risk of a yellow card.
The term has been wrecked but this is one of the rare occassions where it is accurately applied.

You can't wear the colours, talk a big game, tell them you will make the stand and recieve the respect from the people for doing so, and then turn around and sell them all out at the first sign of a yellow card.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I blame FIFA for making this a rule and I blame Kane for showing that his words are not true.
Was it Kane who made the commitment or the English FA? In the grand scheme of things players are pretty much powerless pawns.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
They could just rotate it between players if one of them did actually get booked?
Which player takes it for the World Cup semi? Or Final?

Or do we abandon it totally in the knockouts?

I think abandoning your stance in the knockouts would look even worse actually.

"Ah you will take the yellow in the group game but not the world cup final? Coward."

The player/ team that starts a game like that at a disadvantage and the governing body should he ashamed of themselves (spoiler, they won't be).

hodgey123

The term has been wrecked but this is one of the rare occassions where it is accurately applied.

You can't wear the colours, talk a big game, tell them you will make the stand and recieve the respect from the people for doing so, and then turn around and sell them all out at the first sign of a yellow card.
Absolutely. Hate how it has given ammunition to the people that use it all the time now...

hodgey123

Which player takes it for the World Cup semi? Or Final?

Or do we abandon it totally in the knockouts?

I think abandoning your stance in the knockouts would look even worse actually.

"Ah you will take the yellow in the group game but not the world cup final? Coward."

The player/ team that starts a game like that at a disadvantage and the governing body should he ashamed of themselves (spoiler, they won't be).
One that hasn't been booked so far? Also do you think FIFA would continue to enforce booking players if they actually did book one today and the uproar that that would cause? They are corrupt but also incredibly fickle.

SuperiorXI

Bunch of cowards. They should have just gone ahead with it, this was an opportunity to show that it wasn't just an empty gesture.

What were they gonna do, book all the players? Imagine the outrage that would have caused.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He stated that he and we as a team wanted to wear it.
Not only that, he went on about how it's more important than ever to stand up for equality, etc.

Have the Germans made a decision, btw? Neuer was pretty outspoken in his stance on the matter a few days ago, as I recall.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
One that hasn't been booked so far?
Yes but you are asking someone to be a bookable foul away from being sent off in a world cup final just because of a decision the organisers made.

The players aren't the bad guys here.

hp88

Isn't Gary working for Beinn sport at this World Cup?

So basically the Qatari government.
The biggest hypocrites in this game are starting to appear, it’s a shame a couple of them are former United boys as well.