Foreign secretary advice to LGBT fans.... Be respectful

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
They don't care. This particular 'sportswashing' exercise is not for us liberal European types. The rest of the world will love Qatar for this.
Are you bring sarcastic? You 'liberal European types' have three of your biggest clubs owned by these countries.

Also, I hope you see this same energy in four more years when the world cup takes place in the US. Or is protesting against illegal invasions, providing weapons known to kill innocent civilians being occupied and partaking in human rights abuses in prisons just for us 'liberal brown people' type?

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Or is protesting against illegal invasions, providing weapons known to kill innocent civilians being occupied and partaking in human rights abuses in prisons just for us 'liberal brown people' type?
This argument has been refuted ten thousand times already.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Those Southgate ones are awful and show the weak fecker he is.

"People know what we stand for, this group of players, we're taking the knee because it's something we feel we can make a difference with.
"There are some things that I'm not sure we're going to be able to make a difference with and therefore we should channel our energies in the right directions."

He comes across awfully with these lines. Really really poor.
Also “we’re taking a knee because we know it can make a difference”. I’m a pale as feck white fecker with a white fecker upbringing so obviously it’ll be different for me but that knee yesterday was weak, rushed and about three seconds long, and stood for feck all after the events leading up to it that day. It looked like a theatre piece or superstition that the England team now just do before a match. You can bet your arse that if FIFA turned around and promised the same yellow card punishment for kneeling then they wouldn’t do that either. What’s the point of a symbol if you can drop it at the first sight of inconvience.

Abizzz

Also, I hope you see this same energy in four more years when the world cup takes place in the US. Or is protesting against illegal invasions, providing weapons known to kill innocent civilians being occupied and partaking in human rights abuses in prisons just for us 'liberal brown people' type?
I started a thread about the protests following the killing of George Floyd. It had hundreds of pages and thousands of replies.

Only a few meager morons went into that asking "ye but what about the police in the middle east".

stevoc

If that is true it kills every argument for having a WC in Qatar at all.
I mean I know prompting a change of attitude in Qatar been trotted out as a reason for having the WC in Qatar, but I'm not sure anyone ever really believed it would change anything. As we can see so far it looks like they're just doubling down on their backward views as opposed to softening them.

Abizzz

I mean I know prompting a change of attitude in Qatar been trotted out as a reason for having the WC in Qatar, but I'm not sure anyone ever really believed it would change anything. As we can see so far it looks like they're just doubling down on their backward views as opposed to softening them.
It seems the doubters were correct all along, yes. Good enough reason for me to never have another one in a place like Qatar again.

I'd like a system where say the winner of the 2026 WC gets to host the 2030 one and so on. Would put an end to the corruption and make sure wherever it ends up people actually care enough about the game to show up.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Are you bring sarcastic? You 'liberal European types' have three of your biggest clubs owned by these countries.

Yeah, just keeping presuming you actually know who you are talking with. Presume you know what else I object to or support based on where I'm from.

I was commenting on the different uses of sport in politics and was using 'liberal European types' dismissively, paraphrasing the accusation leveled at the protests from the off.

There was an assumption the world cup was to ingratiate Qatar to the West by the west, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Look at the context and don't be so eager to rush to being offended. It's getting tedious and ironically, it's slightly offensive. You're basically accusing me of being a racist throughout this whole conversation.

stevoc

It seems the doubters were correct all along, yes. Good enough reason for me to never have another one in a place like Qatar again.

I'd like a system where say the winner of the 2026 WC gets to host the 2030 one and so on. Would put an end to the corruption and make sure wherever it ends up people actually care enough about the game to show up.
We're only a few days in and Qatar have made this event more about imposing their ''values'' than the football and shown themselves up on the world stage, who knows what else we're in store for over the next 3-4 weeks. And while mass bribery is always a possibility with FIFA I don't see another middle eastern regime getting to host a World Cup for a very long time after this absolute farce.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I started a thread about the protests following the killing of George Floyd. It had hundreds of pages and thousands of replies.

Only a few meager morons went into that asking "ye but what about the police in the middle east".

Yep, but sadly it does happen though. Last year there were protests about the rape culture in US colleges and some utter scumbag right wing racist fecks did a bit of what about rape culture in x, y or z counties, and the rightfully got shut down for being obvious feckers with no empathy for the victims being supported. It's vile and same vile whataboutery it's all over these threads.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
How so it's been refuted? Summarize it if needed.
1. There is a "Current Events" forum on Redcafe. People there discuss "Current Events." If you go there, you will find threads about "illegal invasions", "human rights abuses", "gun violence", "restricted abortion rights", "transphobia", things of that nature. The general opinion you will find is that Redcafe posters are broadly against all those things. They do what they can within their own country to prevent those things from happening. You are levelling a charge of hypocrisy at an imaginary person.

2. This thread is about LGBT stuff, not Qatar WC as a whole. But the fundamental problem with Qatar WC is that the bulk of the harm done (the exploitation of labor) is a direct result of hosting the WC there; they did not have the infrastructure to host this project, the manpower, nor the legal structures and culture to prevent worker abuse; the inevitable outcome is excess human suffering in the service of a World Cup. Therefore our relationship to this harm, by 'consuming' this World Cup or condoning it, is very direct. This is not the case for a World Cup hosted in the U.S, as they already have the infrastructure to host a World Cup. If you take any kind of utilitarian or harm-reduction approach to this issue (and most people do to some extent), then a U.S. WC is almost certainly much better than a Qatar WC.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
1. There is a "Current Events" forum on Redcafe. People there discuss "Current Events." If you go there, you will find threads about "illegal invasions", "human rights abuses", "gun violence", "restricted abortion rights", "transphobia", things of that nature. The general opinion you will find is that Redcafe posters are broadly against all those things. They do what they can within their own country to prevent those things from happening. You are levelling a charge of hypocrisy at an imaginary person.

2. This thread is about LGBT stuff, not Qatar WC as a whole. But the fundamental problem with Qatar WC is that the bulk of the harm done (the exploitation of labor) is a direct result of hosting the WC there; they did not have the infrastructure to host this project, the manpower, nor the legal structures and culture to prevent worker abuse; the inevitable outcome is excess human suffering in the service of a World Cup. Therefore our relationship to this harm, by 'consuming' this World Cup or condoning it, is very direct. This is not the case for a World Cup hosted in the U.S, as they already have the infrastructure to host a World Cup. If you take any kind of utilitarian or harm-reduction approach to this issue (and most people do to some extent), then a U.S. WC is almost certainly much better than a Qatar WC.
Yep, and while that person most likely does exist, one cannot attack all of us on that probability.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
This kind of complaint about the West is also very odd when it's happening in a forum that revolves around a Western football team. Imagine going to an Al Sadd SC forum to complain about the "arab mind" or some such nonsense.

Last edited:

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Honest question, have you guys who wanted Kane etc to take the yellow actually ever done something like that in your field of work?
Comparing random people who probably can't risk being fired to a multi millionaire?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
It’s a belief system that people CHOOSE to believe.

There are homosexual ‘conversion’ camps a short drive from where games are taking place.

Gay people are beaten in the streets and arrested for who they are. Punishable by death.

They are viewed as 2nd class citizens - LESS human… sound familiar?

There absolutely are similarities between Nazi Germany’s treatment of Jewish people and Qatar’s treatment of gays. It’s a totally valid comparison.
@Pintu has already answered this very well and I’ll just add - if we view every country in the prism of elements being similar to Nazi Germany, then guess what…literally every country can be Nazi Germany. It’s a lazy comparison to make and is just sensationalist. It doesn’t add any nuance or depth to a discussion.
That’s the one! Thanks.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The main reason not to compare a situation to Nazi Germany is to avoid the reflex complaints about comparing things to Nazi Germany. Pick any of the countless other repressive regimes throughout history instead to make the same point.

stevoc

It's sad that this has to be explained to people.

Marwood

Respond to these together as I think it's appropriate.

Muslim is not just a label Islamically. It's two words/syllables mu and Islam.

In simple terms it's a verb and means to do Islam. There is no interpretation or culture or ideas. It is just that.

I claim to be a Muslim because I "do Islam". I don't care what someone interprets or what someone's culture or what someone's idea says or comes up with. I study and discuss and argue with Muslim people/scholars/imams all the time in my pursuit for what Islam is and should be. Sometimes I accept what they have said based on the evidences they have provided. Sometimes I leave them to their devices.

Ultimately it is on me or "my choice" based on what I know. I don't apologise for that
The problem is if you can't bring yourself to say "homosexuality is morally ok", it creates a certain impression. Can you see what others might think about your reluctance to clear up where you stand?

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
The problem is if you can't bring yourself to say "homosexuality is morally ok", it creates a certain impression. Can you see what others might think about your reluctance to clear up where you stand?
I think it's pretty clear where he stands.

ShinjiNinja26

Why are they even bothering to ask FIFA’s and UEFA’s permission to do these things when they already know what the answer will be. Just fecking do it and feck the consequences if it’s what you really believe. Otherwise it just looks like a petty half hearted virtue signalling exercise.

Marwood

That's fine and I'm glad you admit that not all Muslims agree with you.

I find it interesting to finally hear that you choose to believe in something that oppresses approximately 10% of the world's population for what they are rather than choices they have made.

I also think it is really important for everyone here and elsewhere to understand that not all Muslims believe this and Islam is not an inherently homophobic religion. Like Christianity and other major religions, some sadly choose to believe that homosexuality is a sin but many others do not and instead believe that inclusivity, justice and love for all humanity are far far more important.
There is extensive polling on this.

It's a really difficult conversation to have but the figures on how muslims view homosexuality, across the globe, are pretty horrific.

The figures are pretty much ignored or blocked out because of how bad they are.

Like I say, not a nice conversation, I don’t want to believe the figures myself, but if you want to change it, it has to be fully accepted that there's a problem.

I've no doubt the figures would be similar if orthodox jew and evangelical groups were polled.

The link between faith and repressive views on homosexuality need to be examined and discussed openly for their to be progress.

Last edited:

Doracle

of course it's not, very few are genuinely surprised. but they're also being expectedly called out now, which they entirely deserve. that's what happens when you're so vocal about certain cause but your support collapse at the first sign of any kind of consequence.

several teams refused to wear armbands and made their stance clear a while ago. they are now joined by every other nation who will also not wear them, but only couple of them were exposed as full of shit hypocrites. if they can accept praise, they should accept criticism as well. that's how it goes.

Qatar played this brilliantly it seems. people are enjoying games under their rules, players and managers behave just as they want it and other nations will face criticism after all those talks and big words because they backed down under the threats of yellow card. Qatar will remain the same as they've always been, but from now on, every strong support talk from players and managers will be met with doubt and ridicule because all of that have been tested and proven to be just empty words.
How has Qatar played this brilliantly? They’ve been the subject of a large volume of highly critical press arising from yesterday’s events. Had the teams just been allowed to wear the rainbow armbands, the level of exposure would have been far lower and it would have been the nice but relatively pointless gesture it was intended to be.

Doracle

This is why FIFA’s approved No Discrimination armband as a replacement for OneLove is a load of rubbish. It’s doesn’t mean No Discrimination to All, because the narrative from FIFA and Qatar this entire time has been “Don’t discriminate against our way of life that allows us to persecute the LGBT community.“

FIFA have really fecked up. And any time they try to spout shit about how inclusive they are from now on these images and videos will be thrown back at them.
It’s the equivalent of “all lives matter”. Qatar can also convince themselves that they aren’t discriminating against LGBT because all they are doing is punishing acts that they view as immoral and illegal.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Because they aren't just footballers, they're people who are members of our society and I'd like to live in a society that supports their fellow humans in the ways they need and deserve to be supported.
Do you live in Qatar? Let’s imagine VDV had taken the yellow card and worn the armband. What difference would it make? I wouldn’t get my hopes up that an armband overcomes thousands of years of Qatar’s backwards religion and the culture around it. It’s just empty, vain bollocks whether they “take a yellow” or not.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Do you live in Qatar? Let’s imagine VDV had taken the yellow card and worn the armband. What difference would it make? I wouldn’t get my hopes up that an armband overcomes thousands of years of Qatar’s backwards religion and the culture around it. It’s just empty, vain bollocks whether they “take a yellow” or not.
Why do I need to live in Qatar? You realise that despite countries in the world legalising homosexuality and gay marriage, homophobia still exists and is a societal issue across the world? This isn't just about Qatar.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
How has Qatar played this brilliantly? They’ve been the subject of a large volume of highly critical press arising from yesterday’s events. Had the teams just been allowed to wear the rainbow armbands, the level of exposure would have been far lower and it would have been the nice but relatively pointless gesture it was intended to be.
Depends on what they want from the tournament maybe?

If the goal is to present a benign face to the sort of countries who bridle at anti-LGBT measures, all that criticism is a problem. But if the goal is to project power within their own region then the fact that they're successfully bullying their way to a WC on their own terms to the dismay of pro-LGBT critics they disdain is possibly a plus.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
It would show LGBT football fans watching that there are players willing to stick there neck out there for their principles and risk disciplinary action to stand with them. It would show people that Fifa's bullying threats are less important than respect and inclusiveness. It would maybe give Qatar's LGBTQ communities hope that change is possible even if the present looks bleak. It would possibly bring greater awareness to the issue. It would show Fifa that players have power and that they should be wary because they are looked at in a more favourable way than the grubby administrators are. It would show the fans that players are not cowards and stooges who value football above human dignity.

I dunno, nothing I guess.

Doracle

Depends on what they want from the tournament maybe?

If the goal is to present a benign face to the sort of countries who bridle at anti-LGBT measures, all that criticism is a problem. But if the goal is to project power within their own region then the fact that they're successfully bullying their way to a WC on their own terms to the dismay of pro-LGBT critics they disdain is possibly a plus.
Perhaps. My assumption was that it was to raise prestige globally, which is clearly not helped by all the coverage of Qatar being a backwards country with outdated laws around basic human rights. I doubt anyone in the region is that impressed by their bullying of fifa - I suspect everyone already knows that throwing a few quid their way can generally get favourable outcomes…

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
The region put Qatar under a blockade in 2017, long after the WC had been awarded. Projecting "power" over trivial things is considerably less important than using actual power in actual conflicts.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Why do I need to live in Qatar? You realise that despite countries in the world legalising homosexuality and gay marriage, homophobia still exists and is a societal issue across the world? This isn't just about Qatar.
Yes, I realize that. Just like I realise there’s all sorts of other bad stuff going on anywhere in the world at any time. I could decide one day that Luke Shaw’s opinion on Monsanto or American gun laws is really, really important. But what would be the point?

I just don’t see footballers as having much (any) importance in solving it. I don’t see the point in feeling “let down” or “betrayed” when they feck it up. Not quoting your words, but it’s generally what’s going round.

People putting so much store in what footballers think and do outside of football just seems a bit mental to me. Most of their “views” are just following someone else, taken from their PR, or just a sense of what they should say. No wonder that when it comes to the crunch they put football first. That’s not good, but as I said, why hang so much on them in the first place?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
While I do support footballers trying to make moral or political statements for me it's still like hollywood celebrities thinking they are the beacon of humanity at the Oscars. Its unsurprising they back down the moment their career could be even slightly hurt. Fair fecks to the players of Iran and their supporters though.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
England and the other Western countries, with their behaviour here, have screamed:

"WE HAVE VALUES! WE HAVE GREAT VALUES! AND WE STAND BY OUR VALUES ... but only if there are zero negative consequences for us."

Simple, isn't it?
Yep, spinless fecks, but that doesn't mitigate the situation in Qatar. It's still shite.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
While I do support footballers trying to make moral or political statements for me it's still like hollywood celebrities thinking they are the beacon of humanity at the Oscars. Its unsurprising they back down the moment their career could be even slightly hurt. Fair fecks to the players of Iran and their supporters though.
That's only true if they never get yellow cards or if a yellow card actually impacted a career. They risk it to celebrate a goal and argue over a throw in, but won't risk it for human rights. On a wider level they ,transgress hugely and still get taken back by clubs. They're spineless pricks.

Last edited:

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Yes, I realize that. Just like I realise there’s all sorts of other bad stuff going on anywhere in the world at any time. I could decide one day that Luke Shaw’s opinion on Monsanto or American gun laws is really, really important. But what would be the point?

I just don’t see footballers as having much (any) importance in solving it. I don’t see the point in feeling “let down” or “betrayed” when they feck it up. Not quoting your words, but it’s generally what’s going round.

People putting so much store in what footballers think and do outside of football just seems a bit mental to me. Most of their “views” are just following someone else, taken from their PR, or just a sense of what they should say. No wonder that when it comes to the crunch they put football first. That’s not good, but as I said, why hang so much on them in the first place?
If Monsanto sponsored United and Luke Shaw make a huge deal of it, then it would be relevant and have impact and highlight who they were to a wider audience. Context is huge. Qatar hasn't randomly been singled out.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
That's only true if they never get yellow cards or if a yellow card actually impacted a career. They risk it to celebrate a goal and argue over a throw in, but won't risk it for human rights. On a wider level they ,transgress hugely and still get taken back clubs. They're spineless pricks.
Yeah they are like Hollywood celebrities. Agree that not even risking a yellow is spineless. But presumably they would get a yellow each game if they wore the armband correct?