Foreign secretary advice to LGBT fans.... Be respectful

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63401193

How is this world Cup not being boycotted by anyone who has any kind of love for their fellow human beings?
Easier to just be respectful than to be offended. What’s so crazy about being respectful of the host nations culture? You want them to change 100s of years of cultural history in the region to accommodate a select few? Just be respectful for a month and so and go back home and continue. It’s that simple.

caid

What does being respectful entail?
You couldn't pay me enough to visit that shit hole.

the_cliff

Easier to just be respectful than to be offended. What’s so crazy about being respectful of the host nations culture? You want them to change 100s of years of cultural history in the region to accommodate a select few? Just be respectful for a month and so and go back home and continue. It’s that simple.
Exactly ! All they're asking the fans to do is not to do it in public, it's not bloody hard.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
It's a country that still executes people for being gay. How about we don't respect this level of backward stone age shite?

the_cliff

It's a country that still executes people for being gay. How about we don't respect this level of backward stone age shite?
Except that that's not true.

It's actually funny how many people believe that absolute bollocks.

I’m loving my life

Yes, let’s be respectful of their desire to punish lgbtq people just for existing. They deserve so much respect for that.

Boavista

From a self preservation perspective it's easy enough to turn a blind eye and be "respectful". But looking at it from the perspective of having empathy for an oppressed minority, people you identify with, I think it becomes more difficult to say what the simple thing to do is.

Lee565

Yes be respectful of their intolerance towards gay people and human rights...

It's not conservative mps will be attending the world cup, they will feel like they are heaven when they visit a state that suppresses it's citizens and disregards human rights

Sweet Square

:lol:

GaryLifo

Then the BBC have it wrong?

"The decision to stage the World Cup in Qatar, a country where homosexuality can be punishable by death, has been criticised by LGBT groups."

From the article.

Dan_F

Plenty of other countries managed it.

the_cliff

Then the BBC have it wrong?

"The decision to stage the World Cup in Qatar, a country where homosexuality can be punishable by death, has been criticised by LGBT groups."

From the article.
Yes they have.

How about you find me an article of that statement actually happening within the last 30 years ?

GaryLifo

Yes, let’s be respectful of their desire to punish lgbtq people just for existing. They deserve so much respect for that.
It's incredible isn't it?

Yes, we do want them to change hundreds of years of getting it wrong. That's how we progress to being better people and being better to each other.

Imagine the same argument being used about slavery... "hey man you have to respect their use of slaves, they've been doing it for 200 years now"

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses

Funny though when it comes to judging a country and its people based on something they heard or read (maybe in The Sun or DM) it becomes gospel.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Alternatively we could have learned from FIFA’s own Pride campaigns and respect the LGBT community enough not to hold the World Cup in such a backwards place.

GaryLifo

Yes they have.

How about you find me an article of that statement actually happening within the last 30 years ?
Is it the case that the law potentially allows capital punishment for homosexuality but that it just isn't enforced? Or that there is no such law?

the_cliff

Funny though when it comes to judging a country and its people based on something they heard or read (maybe in The Sun or DM) it becomes gospel.
I've lived in the Middle East the last 20 years and people actually think there's no gay people here and there's public executions happening weekly.

It's actually hilarious. :lol:

Gycraig

Supports
Hull
“respectful” is code for completely hide your identity the whole time you are at the World Cup? which is supposed to be an occasion that brings people together …

I don’t understand how a country with such a shocking “culture” even got the World Cup in the first place.

the_cliff

Is it the case that the law potentially allows capital punishment for homosexuality but that it just isn't enforced? Or that there is no such law?
Except it doesn't, there's a difference between Sharia law and law of the country.

Drinking alcohol in Sharia law is not allowed, you think Dubai has no bars or clubs ? Or you think there'll be no alcohol in Qatar ?

GaryLifo

I'm not judging the people in the country, I'm arguing that holding a world Cup in a country that still treats homosexuality as a crime, is a shit idea and it is fair grounds for taking a stand and boycotting it.

Reactions: Wibble

Trophy Room

What does being respectful entail?
You couldn't pay me enough to visit that shit hole.
Have you ever been to Qatar? Or are your opinions based on what you’ve heard or read in the media?

It’s interesting really, we think of ourselves in the UK as being from a moral high ground but you’d be surprised to hear/see of some the shit that goes on in our own country.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
It’s hard to explain culture to people who blow with the wind. You accept whatever. It’s all good. The lack of tolerance you show their beliefs and customs is hypocritical. If it’s so important to you then boycott it by not watching, do your little bit.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Have you ever been to Qatar? Or are your opinions based on what you’ve heard or read in the media?

It’s interesting really, we think of ourselves in the UK as being from a moral high ground but you’d be surprised to hear/see of some the shit that goes on in our own country.
They are like the twitter mob with their Chinese whispers. They hear one lie and spread it and it becomes an even bigger lie over time. Virtue signaling all day. Hypocrites.

fecking ell, you’d have been great to have around during the witch hunting days :lol:

Yes, backward knobheads with backward cultures should change, and we should all want them to, not least if they want to host a fecking World event that should be inclusive of all humans.

the_cliff

It’s hard to explain culture to people who blow with the wind. You accept whatever. It’s all good. The lack of tolerance you show their beliefs and customs is hypocritical. If it’s so important to you then boycott it by not watching, do your little bit.
It's ironic because the same people are all against white supremacy but want everyone to live the same way as them and have the same cultural norms as them, otherwise they're backwards and cavemen.

And just to clear up a misconception, Public displays of affection are illegal in the middle East, regardless of sexual orientation which is what the foreign secretary was pointing out, if you're gay or straight pda is not tolerated in their culture. End of, make out with your bf/gf in your hotel room, it's not that deep, it's 3 weeks....

NewYorkRed

You guys should look up the definition of a sovereign state. That’s what Qatar is. They run their country by their rules, religious or otherwise. Have a problem with it? Don’t go, nobody’s forcing you?

If someone comes to the states and tells me not to drink/smoke etc then that’s a seperate issue, because the USA, and the UK, like Qatar, are sovereign states.

also people calling them backward etc, its their religion so their choice. I don’t know about you guys but freedom of religion seems like a pretty important part of any forward thinking society, it certainly is here. You don’t have to agree with their religion but if you are CHOOSING to go to their country, then you have to respect it. Simple.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Respect discrimination?

Hilarious.

GaryLifo

So if there was a belief system or cultural more that encouraged sex with children, or racism, or sexism, we should blindly respect it and show tolerance?

This is essentially the argument you are making.

If we never challenge things which violate human rights then how do we progress as a species?

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
fecking ell, you’d have been great to have around during the witch hunting days :lol:

Yes, backward knobheads with backward cultures should change, and we should all want them to, not least if they want to host a fecking World event that should be inclusive of all humans.
They should change? They said respect our culture for a month and then leave to do as you please. They should change what they believe in as a whole country just for LGBTQ to do as they please? Even straight couples have to be decent on public and for us foreigners living in this region for years we’ve abided by the rules and don’t have a problem but you guys are making it a big deal. So many expats here and they are respectful maybe you should castigate them too. Don’t watch the backwards World Cup then. Do your bit for the cause.

Last edited:

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
You guys should look up the definition of a sovereign state. That’s what Qatar is. They run their country by their rules, religious or otherwise. Have a problem with it? Don’t go, nobody’s forcing you?

If someone comes to the states and tells me not to drink/smoke etc then that’s a seperate issue, because the USA, and the UK, like Qatar, are sovereign states.
Exactly, don't go. It's criminal, like segregationist USA and apartheid South Africa.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Respect discrimination?

Hilarious.
You see? You see that statement and see offense rather than plainly see respect their culture. Show them respect first, it’s their flipping country. It’s their rules and customs. Damn you guys are something else. Do you Europeans I’m one myself too btw don’t know other countries have different customs and laws from the Middle East to Asia to Africa. I’ve been around the world and learn first that I need to be respectful no matter what as I’m in their land. It’s not a difficult concept.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
I've lived in the Middle East the last 20 years and people actually think there's no gay people here and there's public executions happening weekly.

It's actually hilarious. :lol:
So if I were to go there and hold hands with my boyfriend walking down the street, what would happen to us?

the_cliff

So if I were to go there and hold hands with my boyfriend walking down the street, what would happen to us?
Nothing.

If you make out with him you'd be arrested and treated as a heterosexual/homosexual couple will be treated. Again PDA is illegal regardless of sexual orientation.

Do you know how many expats live in the middle East ? like @therealtboy mentioned. You think they'd live here if they're executing gay people weekly ?

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
So if there was a belief system or cultural more that encouraged sex with children, or racism, or sexism, we should blindly respect it and show tolerance?

This is essentially the argument you are making.

If we never challenge things which violate human rights then how do we progress as a species?
You couldn’t be more disingenuous if you tried. See the examples you just brought up. Not worth talking to you if you’re going to just dilute this conversation with this level of made up vitriol.