Former POTUS George H W Bush Dies aged 94

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Personally, I find this 'respect for the dead' concept bullshit. A cnut is a cnut, whether alive or dead.
On-topic: I don't know too much about Bush Sr other than that he also was a fighter pilot in WW2.

SirAF

Ageist
Personally, I find this 'respect for the dead' concept bullshit. A cnut is a cnut, whether alive or dead.
On-topic: I don't know too much about Bush Sr other than that he also was a fighter pilot in WW2.
Like @Boycott posted:

1. Congressman
2. US ambassador to the UN
3. Republican Party Chairman
4. US ambassador to China
5. CIA Director
6. Vice President
7. President
8. Father of the President

Like him or not, he’s had a darn impressive life.

Minimalist

My first thoughts when it comes to Bush Snr is the Bill Hick's routine on him and 'little Damian'. :lol:

RIP obviously. Definitely had a better reputation than his son.

Fergies Gum

RIP. No one can deny that he wasn't qualified and experienced to become president.

Last edited:

Silva

I saw someone on reddit complaining about people comparing HW to Hitler, ending his post with "he's dead guys give it a rest" like being dead isn't just another thing they have in common

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I think if you don't have a standard for these threads of trying not to speak ill of the dead, especially with polarising politics but also with a certain etiquette some people hold store in then you reduce the thread to argument. But then again I'd take points on saying what I think about Thatcher so it is hard to judge someone from another counttry who may have been affected in a similar way in their lives.

Still, maybe Bush at least held a respect for the office a certain incumbent doesn't.

SirAF

Ageist
I think if you don't have a standard for these threads of trying not to speak ill of the dead, especially with polarising politics but also with a certain etiquette some people hold store in then you reduce the thread to argument. But then again I'd take points on saying what I thinnk about Thatcher so it is hard to judge someone from another counttry who may have been affected in a similar way in their lives.

Still, maybe Bush at least held a respect for the office a certain incumbent doesn't.

I definitely think we can all agree on that.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal

SirAF

Ageist
He didn't do it with his bare hands mate. Research his family history and shite he has done mate. Trust me he does not deserve your respect.
I’ve been interested in the Bush Dynasty (without having had the time or interest to go into any great depth) and I really haven’t seen much BAD - I assume you are thinking about the nazi connections and Prescott? I believe those have been basically refuted by historians.

Anyway, I’ll have a gander during the holidays and look closer.

Morpheus 7

The evil seem to live long don't they. Thatcher, Reagan ect.. Bush senior should have been tried for war crimes, just like his son. The US is an incredible country, unfortunately it has a dark side. When I think of that side, cnuts like this come to mind.

Carolina Red

Staff
More by his failures. Had he beaten Reagan to the nomination in 80, the GOP as we know nowadays might not have existed, and same for the Gulf War.
Knowing him by his failures is to take a very limited look at his career (below)...
1. Congressman
2. US ambassador to the UN
3. Republican Party Chairman
4. US ambassador to China
5. CIA Director
6. Vice President
7. President
8. Father of the President

Imagine how many secrets he knew and took to the grave
He did sooooo much more than people realize I think.

Abizzz

Rumours going around that George HW Bush died from complications during a surgery to remove his ribs in order to suck his own dick. Can anyone confirm? Regardless of whether or not that's true though, we can all agree that he was the president who died most recently.
Wait, @Eboue was banned for this post? I'm sorry, but that is a parody of the exact kind of discourse GHWB and his party have made mainstream for the past 30-40 years.

I know some may find it a tasteless comment, but the man it was made about used rhetoric like that to justify his policies, and those policies had real life consequences for millions of people. He and his son have only disowned this sort of tactic once it was turned on them by president tweet.

I have respect for this Bush for other reasons, but he should definitely not be above criticism like that.

GiddyUp

Wait, @Eboue was banned for this post? I'm sorry, but that is a parody of the exact kind of discourse GHWB and his party have made mainstream for the past 30-40 years.

I know some may find it a tasteless comment, but the man it was made about used rhetoric like that to justify his policies, and those policies had real life consequences for millions of people. He and his son have only disowned this sort of tactic once it was turned on them by president tweet.

I have respect for this Bush for other reasons, but he should definitely not be above criticism like that.
There's criticism and then there's being a dick.

Abizzz

There's criticism and then there's being a dick.
Well yeah but the world will be a boring place when we get rid of all of those :(.

I won't post on this again, sorry for taking the thread off topic.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
If you have an opinion, post it under your own username. Don't edit my post, that's very offensive.
The Penna equivalent of pistol whipping someone.

OT: there's a reason why we're respectful of the recently departed even if we didn't necessarily agree with everything that they did when they were alive, and it's because it's common courtesy. No person is purely good or bad, and there will be time to discuss the negatives in future, but for now can we cut out the lunch mob shite.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Knowing him by his failures is to take a very limited look at his career (below)...

He was at about 91% popularity at one point. Hard to believe he couldn't stretch that out for a 2nd term.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The Penna equivalent of pistol whipping someone.

OT: there's a reason why we're respectful of the recently departed even if we didn't necessarily agree with everything that they did when they were alive, and it's because it's common courtesy. No person is purely good or bad, and there will be time to discuss the negatives in future, but for now can we cut out the lunch mob shite.
This is exactly the time to discuss the negatives of a highly prominent person. When else would be good? No one would give a feck if I created a thread on the life of G HW Bush a week ago.

If he's getting all the flowers once he dies, it's appropriate that the discourse also focus on the negatives.

I can see it now. People asking us to remember the good about Trump when he eventually passes away. Nah feck that.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He also held just about every relevant job in government on his way to becoming POTUS. Probably the most qualified individual to hold the job in a century or more.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Dec 5th is a National day of mourning?
= Trumps response to getting an invite to the funeral.
So no work that day then?

Boycott

Obviously now when people think of George Bush they think of his son. Bush 43 is the most consequential president in history arguably.

Bush 41's presidency was the peak of his near three decades in Washington. He was also a successful Texan oil businessman which arouses suspicion and conspiracy from his naysayers.

He's very different from his fellow one-termer Jimmy Carter whose only involvement in national politics was the four years he was commander in chief. Carter despite being POTUS doesn't qualify him for federal health insurance (the minimum is 5 years working in government).

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I've never been a fan of the 'always respect the dead' thing. I mean I can understand that when average bloke that used to be a bully in his teens passes away, I won't go posting on the Facebook page about that. But with world leaders and people whose policies had affected other people's lives, including thousands of deaths then I don't feel any need to hold back criticism just because someone passed away. The truth is important not whitewashing someone's life just because they passed away.

Reality: HW was CIA Director at a time the CIA was destabilizing Latin America economically, installing and supporting right wing dictators. These policies had real human consequences that affected a lot of people including deaths. He supported Operation Condor. He was almost certainly involved in the shady Iran Hostage/Iran-Contra craziness that both undermined Carter as President and created a crazy corrupt series of interlocking events. He supported dictator and drug lord Noriega right up until he decided not to. He allowed or orchestrated (depending on source) Iraq to slant drill into Kuwait then allowed one of the most infamous public relation lies and deceptions (the Nayirah Testimony) and more to justify the Iraq war on lies. He long cultivated an intimate relationship with the Saudi totalitarian Royal Family for personal profits. This is someone whose father, Prescott Bush, had his assets stripped in 1942 due to the Trading with the Enemy Act due to his financing of the Nazi Party! Even beyond its speculated Prescott was a key figure behind the scenes debating trying to overthrow FDR.

This man was not a good person. This man did not care about the poor and average people whose lives he destroyed. This man was not someone who should be celebrated but his history should be recounted to serve as a reminder for all of us to remember we all need to work harder to make sure much better human beings are in power than this person. I will end with the only compliment I can think of - despite all this I believe he still would have done less damage than Willy did (since he would have ended in 96 and that would have changed the entire electoral cycle we are on)

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Last edited:

SirAF

Ageist