Former Scottish First Minister Alex Salmond charged with attempted rape | Not Guilty

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Obviously counting a leg or arm touch over clothes as sexual assault is nonsense, unwanted or not, but clearly there's a pattern there of perhaps someone getting gropey and forcing himself on women when he's been drinking. It's the attempted rape charges that are where the focus will be. The rest is presumably just to help paint a pattern of behaviour to a jury. His reputation is destroyed whatever the outcome, he always was the perfect stereotype of a sleazeball.
Both of those things can be sexual assault and often are. Just because we have allowed men to get away with this sort of sexual crime in the past doesn't mean it isn't a crime. Accidental touching obviously isn't a crime of course.

Even now a single unwelome touch over clothes will rarely result in charges.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
It's pretty obvious the innocuous-sounding charges were just included to support and bolster the ones that actually are serious offences. Or in other words, would Salmond be facing a court date if he'd only (allegedly) touched a leg or stroked an arm? No. Of course not.
Having read the other charges, I'm not sure about that, hence my questions about them. All of the other ones are very clear on how they relate to the seriousness of the offences.

hobbers

Both of those things can be sexual assault and often are. Just because we have allowed men to get away with this sort of sexual crime in the past doesn't mean it isn't a crime. Accidental touching obviously isn't a crime of course.

Even now a single unwelome touch over clothes will rarely result in charges.
Only with other extenuating circumstances to back it up. For instance a lot of the stuff that appears in the other chargers against Salmond. ie being in a secluded or private place like a car, trying to remove clothes, attempting other unwanted physical contact including kissing or hands under clothes or anything forceful. Without that there's absolutely nothing to support arm or leg contact over clothes as being sexual in nature.

That's why those charges that are simply "touched arms and hips over clothes in a nightclub" and "touched leg over clothes" stand out and shouldn't really be included with the others.

It's the same story with general assault claims. Sure you can say that anyone who makes any physical contact with you assaulted you, and people often do that, but unless it's clear that their intent was to assault you through their other actions, you're just wasting police time.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Only with other extenuating circumstances to back it up. For instance a lot of the stuff that appears in the other chargers against Salmond. ie being in a secluded or private place like a car, trying to remove clothes, attempting other unwanted physical contact including kissing or hands under clothes or anything forceful. Without that there's absolutely nothing to support arm or leg contact over clothes as being sexual in nature.

That's why those charges that are simply "touched arms and hips over clothes in a nightclub" and "touched leg over clothes" stand out and shouldn't really be included with the others.

It's the same story with general assault claims. Sure you can say that anyone who makes any physical contact with you assaulted you, and people often do that, but unless it's clear that their intent was to assault you through their other actions, you're just wasting police time.
They should be if they were unwanted, sexual in nature and given the mass of charges likely repeated despite it being obvious that was the case.

If he just touched someone's leg, was rebuffed and that was it, then no way would it have resulted in charges. When it is part of a pattern of behaviour that is very different.

If some charges are flimsy and not part of a pattern of behaviour they won't result in a conviction.

Dr. Dwayne

I'm actually ok with the hips one. That's pushing it in almost any social situation. Why they need to include the arms is beyond me, though.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I'm actually ok with the hips one. That's pushing it in almost any social situation. Why they need to include the arms is beyond me, though.
If it turns out that he is guilty of sexual assault then those arm touches become red flags and not really something that can be deemed innocent by default.

Dr. Dwayne

If it turns out that he is guilty of sexual assault then those arm touches become red flags and not really something that can be deemed innocent by default.
I understand that but all of the other charges listed are very descriptive as to how the minster's actions constitute sexual assault (i.e. "stroking her arms").

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
fecking hell, I'm not going to lie that's a huge shock.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Rape convictions are so low, really is nothing anyone can do about that without new brain scanning lie detection technology or something.

Foxbatt

Rape convictions are so low, really is nothing anyone can do about that without new brain scanning lie detection technology or something.
If they had credible stories and evidence and did not communicate with each other the jury may have been able to believe what the prosecution presented. One of the accuser's could not even prove she was with him at the Bute House when the alleged attempt was made. Forget about the attempt. She simply was not at the house where she accused him of the alleged attempt.

Dr. Dwayne

It's because they included those arm touching charges, no doubt.

But seriously, it seems like a shocking result based on the number of accusations.

mu4c_20le

Very surprising, everything reported by the media so far seemed to suggest otherwise

Foxbatt

Is Nicola Sturgeon behind this attempt to stich him up? News from Scotland seems to suggest that she was scared he may make a come back and unseat her.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Is Nicola Sturgeon behind this attempt to stich him up? News from Scotland seems to suggest that she was scared he may make a come back and unseat her.
He is nowhere near as popular as her. Besides, she will be facing a parliamentary inquiry over her meetings with him during the timeframe this was all coming out.

Foxbatt

He is nowhere near as popular as her. Besides, she will be facing a parliamentary inquiry over her meetings with him during the timeframe this was all coming out.
It's more than that. She and her husband seems to be behind some of this against him. The defense had texts which they wanted to present but the prosecution objected that it has got nothing to do with this particular case so the Judge refused to admit it rightly so. Because that texts have nothing to do directly with the allegations or the case as it does with Nicola Sturgeon and Alex Sammond.
Alex Sammond has always said he is not looking to be The First Minister again.