Fosu Mensah loan watch | Fulham 2018-19

SAFMUTD

We should sell him in the summer, I had high expectations for him but its clear he is not going to make it here. If he can’t get minutes in a team as awful as Fulham is clear he is no where near United quality.

Touseef

These Premier League loans are the worst.

These teams won’t play our players because they don’t want to benefit United by developing one of our prospects. They know there’s no chance of signing them permanently so they choose to go with one of their own.

He would be better off here.
Don't agree with the bolded part at all... The PL team can loan only 2 players. Why would they go through the effort of using a slot for him if they do not want to benefit United? Ofcourse they wanted him and also played him but he wasn't good...

Acole9

Outstanding
Starts off alright then fizzles out. A bit worrying really.

dutchred

Give him like everyone else a clean slate under Ole, he should get a couple of games at rb for us.
He's not a right back. He's a centre half or DM. He wont make it here but could probably make it as a cetre half in a championship team

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Give him like everyone else a clean slate under Ole, he should get a couple of games at rb for us.
This

He hasn't featured for Utd for the best part of 2 seasons and is still young.

Ole know him well enough so who knows what his plans are. He could turn out to be a great squad player. it was last season that Sane stated how difficult it was playing up against him.
Goodness knows, he looks better than Bailly

In Rainbows

Yeah he's another like Pereira that hasn't nailed down a place. It's my biggest worry with Gomes as another through the academy. Chong is a blatant winger and Greenwood an obvious striker. Gomes can play a few different positions and I think it might hinder him coming through.
Yep it's a worry. He's an attacking midfielder which means he can play on the wing like he has been tried out, and Butt is also developing him for the Scholes role. Personally I think his size is an issue if he plays as an attacker as he'll have more pressure to dribble past defenders which leaves an opportunity for defenders to use their physical advantage over him. As a midfielder he'll just utilize his skill to advance play and retain possession to control the midfield.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Probably left Ajax too soon in retrospect. Consistent game time at the highest level of the Dutch league would’ve done more for his footballing intelligence.

pascell

He's been unlucky really. He was brought in by a manager who was replaced 4/5 weeks after and hasn't seen many minutes since.

He does have flaws like any other young player, at this point in his career he needs regular game time and might be best dropping down to the Championship like Tuanzebe.

Rossa

I wonder if sometimes having too much pace and strength when you are young is a negative thing when you try the ranks at senior football. When you go up a level, even if players are not faster, they are better tactically, so you can't just run past them. A coach I know had a real speedster on his team, and told him to cut out the kick and runs that gave them plenty of goals - sooner or later he would face opposition that would nullify that, and then where would he be? Players like Fosuh-Mensah are great against speedy players that only try to run past them, but if they haven't developed their tactical game, clever players will just play in behind them or around them.

Fosuh-Mensah was great against Sane and Bale because he matches them for speed, or faster even. But try him against Eriksen, Silva and the likes, and I think he will struggle a lot more. That being said, Fulham is a mess, and defending in that team where you sit that deep will not play to his strengths. Put him in a team that plays a high defensive line, however, and things may look different - I doubt there is a winger in the league that will get away from him, for one. Also, he looks quite comfortable on the ball.

In Rainbows

I'll try to explain why many of us who watch the youth teams thought he was a good prospect. One is definitely that his athleticism is an asset. But it's wrong to suggest that's all he had. He was an amazing tackler. I've never seen someone as good as he is at tackling, although he can get rash from time to time. I still haven't seen someone win tackles like he can from our youth teams and his brief time during the LVG era he proved it at first team level. For example, as a comparison Tuanzebe was the better CB, but that was more because of his intelligence at the back, more so than his tackling ability which is still obviously good. You can tell he reads the game better as a defender and his instincts as a member of the back line is sharper.

TFM also was a pretty good passer for a CB. I still think it's better than Jones ability on the ball. So we who watch the youth probably overrated his ball playing ability as it was only great for a CB, but not great for other positions. However, many of us still believe his future lies as a destroyer in the Kante mold because Kante isn't some amazing passer. His passing is meh for a midfielder. He's brilliant for his ability to break up attacks.

Maybe his tackling ability regressed, but it's been obvious to me for a while now that he's not good enough going forward to be a modern fullback and has not progressed in his awareness as part of the back four. He should be made to sink or swim as a DM. We could use a destroyer from time to time and believe me, I would want our primary DM to be a much better passer with more skill. Doesn't mean we can't find a use for a destroyer.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
[QUOTE="Rossa, post: 23522036, member: 62774"]I wonder if sometimes having too much pace and strength when you are young is a negative thing when you try the ranks at senior football. When you go up a level, even if players are not faster, they are better tactically, so you can't just run past them. A coach I know had a real speedster on his team, and told him to cut out the kick and runs that gave them plenty of goals - sooner or later he would face opposition that would nullify that, and then where would he be? Players like Fosuh-Mensah are great against speedy players that only try to run past them, but if they haven't developed their tactical game, clever players will just play in behind them or around them.

Fosuh-Mensah was great against Sane and Bale because he matches them for speed, or faster even. But try him against Eriksen, Silva and the likes, and I think he will struggle a lot more. That being said, Fulham is a mess, and defending in that team where you sit that deep will not play to his strengths. Put him in a team that plays a high defensive line, however, and things may look different - I doubt there is a winger in the league that will get away from him, for one. Also, he looks quite comfortable on the ball.[/QUOTE]
That's 100% true. If you're a physical beast at a younger age you don't need to perfect techniques or learn other ways to beat your opponent. You can just kick+run or muscle your way through.

It's no surprise the smaller player usually have the best technique, as their touches / movement have to be exemplary to succeed in mens football.

tomaldinho1

I don't see any reason why he shouldn't get some game time here - it's hard to quantify how bad Valencia is at RB now because he's just completely past it. I feel bad because he's our captain and has been an absolute warrior over the years but age, multiple injuries and the fact he was never an RB mean he's just making up squad numbers IMO. Newcastle, the most defensive team in the PL, tore down that flank by hitting the gap between him and Lindelof and he took a whole half to change his positioning.

Darmian is clearly just waiting to leave, Dalot looks promising but is so physically underdeveloped it's as if he's just hatched from an egg. Timbo might as well get some game time, deserves a chance and I think he could be moulded into a decent RB or CB to partner Lindelof (although Tuanzebe ahead of him currently for that spot).

Judas

Open to offers
Hasn’t looked good enough to make it with us honestly. Maybe being back at the club might help him, but I just don’t think he’s made the step up everyone hoped he would.

Sokz

How i'd love to see him pair up with De Ligt at ajax.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
He can’t get game time ahead of Christie who might be the worst player in the league and people think he’d be of use here.

Laughable stuff. He’s not going to make it.

sweetmgd

Mensah has no improvement for these two years, couldn't find his place at Crystal Palace (replaced by Aaron Wan Bissaka), Fulham (19th in English Premier so far), even Ranieri wants to send him back to Man Utd now, and suddenly he is good enough to play for Man Utd? He played so horrible at Fulham this season, showing no positioning, no brain. Now he is in senior world, not junior, he cannot always rely on his pace and physical ability, but should also be more tactical.

Unless he improves his mindset, and proves he has the ability to fight for a place at a English Premier team, i don't see he has the future at Man Utd. Young players don't always mean potential, especially we are Man Utd, our standard should be higher, not just because he is our academy, we should give chance for him. For the right back position, i think E. Laird has more potential than him.

Last edited by a moderator:

arthurka

He can’t get game time ahead of Christie who might be the worst player in the league and people think he’d be of use here.

Think it has little to do with him. Ranieri wants to play his players. We should have recalled him and tried to get him another gig.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Think it has little to do with him. Ranieri wants to play his players. We should have recalled him and tried to get him another gig.
He was atrocious when he played. The Fulham fans wanted him sent back.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He seems to have gone backwards, doesn't seem comfortable on the ball either.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He keeps passing it backwards today. There was a time he could have gotten a cross into the box but instead checked back and passed it backward.
He could be a good backup for Valencia then.

Bestietom

When Fosu was here he was a very good prospect. He never wanted to go to London and yet we loaned him out to 2 london clubs. I would still give him a chance to prove himself here, instead of running him down like some fans.

I watched him a lot when playing with the youths here and he has the strength, size, and mobility, to play as a DM or CB, IMO. It's just finding the right position for him and an arm around his shoulder, so he feels wanted. This guy has it and with coaching will prove it here.

Litch

Watched him a lot a youth level, he's fallen foul like many others before him and a issue I have with youth development at this club is we seem to have players that we never quite know what's their best position?

sunama

Baghdad Bob

Agreed completely. He was never good enough to play for MUFC and it would appear that he is not good enough to play for Fulham (the 2nd worst team in the league).

Ajax is the best place for him. That club will develop him as far as his talent allows, then sell him as a ready made player, to the highest bidder.
He may yet come good, but he'll probably need to play for Ajax regularly for at least a year.

Inigo Montoya

He played 73 minutes against Liverpool . How was he ?
He played on the right and looked ok considering he hasn’t been picked. Strong and quick. Looked to get forward as much as possible
Fulham were up against it which is no surprise but looked ok even after going behind. He was solid the occasions he was asked to defend.
If anything he was far more defensively adept than Bailly and nowhere near as rash.
Like to see him involved more to see if he can offer us anything next season

haram

He played on the right and looked ok considering he hasn’t been picked. Strong and quick. Looked to get forward as much as possible
Fulham were up against it which is no surprise but looked ok even after going behind. He was solid the occasions he was asked to defend.
If anything he was far more defensively adept than Bailly and nowhere near as rash.
Like to see him involved more to see if he can offer us anything next season
Bailly has had far better games and TFM does put in some rash challenges as well.

Inigo Montoya

Bailly has had far better games and TFM does put in some rash challenges as well.
I was talking about today not in general.
Bailly has had a lot more time at Utd, TFM only one game as I recall. He has had better games because he’s had better quality around him and is more experienced not because he’s really any good for Utd.There’s a good reason he doesn’t get in ahead of Lundelhof and Smalling.
Like I said only time will tell if TFM is Utd class but if Bailly is anything to go by then TFM has a better future

haram

I was talking about today not in general.
Bailly has had a lot more time at Utd, TFM only one game as I recall. He has had better games because he’s had better quality around him and is more experienced not because he’s really any good for Utd.There’s a good reason he doesn’t get in ahead of Lundelhof and Smalling.
Like I said only time will tell if TFM is Utd class but if Bailly is anything to go by then TFM has a better future
I dont rate either highly but Bailly is the better player.

SteveW

I think it's very unlikely that either TFM or Bailly will make it at United tbh.