Fosu Mensah loan watch | Fulham 2018-19

Red_toad

Should be given the same chances Butt and the Nevilles were, he's surely not less gifted or less ready than them, or less ready (though he is less gifted) than Scholes, a five foot six white man without pace.
Different time, different manager for Butt and Phil Nev. Hasn’t got anywhere near the skill level as Scholes and where are you going with bringing his race into the discussion?

I think he has the technical ability to be a DM. He needs to read the game a lot better I feel. He is very very quick, tackles well and is very strong. HE needs to go to a team who will play him as a DM.
He's nowhere near good enough on the ball to play in midfield. If he makes it here, and its a big if for me, its in a position where he only has to look in one direction at a time and has space to move the ball out of his feet.

extincti fugax hominum

He's nowhere near good enough on the ball to play in midfield. If he makes it here, and its a big if for me, its in a position where he only has to look in one direction at a time and has space to move the ball out of his feet.
Really? I thought he played as a ball-playing centre back in Netherlands U-21,U-19 etc. teams? I think his technique is quite good and he is definitely not like Smalling on the ball. I agree with the comments that say "he should be a DM" as his most significant attribute (physicality - athleticism - strength) is much more suited to a defensive midfielder role. Maybe he needs to cut his rashness out and read the game better to play in that position but that will come with time. His passing is not a problem to play as a DM imo. He doesn't need to be Pirlo in his passing to be a DM anyway.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Really? I thought he played as a ball-playing centre back in Netherlands U-21,U-19 etc. teams? I think his technique is quite good and he is definitely not like Smalling on the ball. I agree with the comments that say "he should be a DM" as his most significant attribute (physicality - athleticism - strength) is much more suited to a defensive midfielder role. Maybe he needs to cut his rashness out and read the game better to play in that position but that will come with time. His passing is not a problem to play as a DM imo. He doesn't need to be Pirlo in his passing to be a DM anyway.
You'd see lots of the same criticisms everyone lays at Matic in his ability to split the lines.

In Rainbows

You'd see lots of the same criticisms everyone lays at Matic in his ability to split the lines.
Difference is he would not be as slow as Matic, and is a better tackler. He doesn't lack passing ability to play like Kante. He just needs more experience to play in the middle for his awareness to get better.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
His attacking game is very poor. Won‘t hack it at fullback with that. Either at CB or at DM, but only as squad player for a big club or starter for a smaller club. Big clubs need their starting midfielders to have a good passing range and technical ability on the ball like Busquets etc

Foxbatt

The best DM we had after Keane was Hargreaves. His passing was poor. He was very very good in reading the game, He tackles very well and he is very very quick. His job is to cover the CBs and to break up play and to give it to the creative midfield players. Mensah has that ability apart from reading the game. If he gets that part of his game then he can be DM at a top club.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Difference is he would not be as slow as Matic, and is a better tackler. He doesn't lack passing ability to play like Kante. He just needs more experience to play in the middle for his awareness to get better.
Not as slow as travelling with the ball no, but at picking passes through the lines then yeah definitely.

Our counter attacks with Pereira in place are already much quicker, purely through range of passing.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Can’t help but feel his issue with ball-watching is directly related to his lightening pace. When you’re that fast you can become innately reliant on your recovery speed. Huge issue someone like Bellerin has at RB too.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Should be given the same chances Butt and the Nevilles were, he's surely not less gifted or less ready than them, or less ready (though he is less gifted) than Scholes, a five foot six white man without pace.
What a car crash of a post. Why is the color of scholes important? Or his height?

POF

The best DM we had after Keane was Hargreaves. His passing was poor. He was very very good in reading the game, He tackles very well and he is very very quick. His job is to cover the CBs and to break up play and to give it to the creative midfield players. Mensah has that ability apart from reading the game. If he gets that part of his game then he can be DM at a top club.
I agree with this, which is why he was never first choice in midfield and played his best football for the club on the right side of midfield or at right back. Top clubs cannot have a player so limited on the ball in midfield and Hargreaves was better on the ball than Fosu Mensah.

I just can't see this skill set others are seeing that suggests he would be able to play for a top class team in midfield. If the club loaned him out as a midfield player, he'd be lucky to get a league one team. At right back, he has had 2 EPL loans.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Why do some fans always over-rate our youngsters?:lol:
Yeah, idiots I know. What even has our academy done to be honest? Apart from Rashford, Lingard, Andreas, Pogba etc.

Red_Ramirez

I know. Imagine getting excited about young players that come through the youth team. What a bunch of idiots.
There's a difference between being naturally excited and bloody going over the top. :lol:

The real bunch idiots are the ones comparing decent young talent to fecking legends and expecting them to live up to unrealistic expectations...I remember in 2011 Cleverly came out of a decent loan spell at Wigan, put in a few good performances for us at the beginning of the season and he's labelled the new Paul Scholes:lol:

A year later he was getting abused by the same 'fans' for being shit/not good enough and lumped with the 'deadwood'. There are so many examples

theriddler

Supports
Liverpool FC
He's one of your highly rated youngsters, correct?

What is his best position?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
There's a difference between being naturally excited and bloody going over the top. :lol:

The real bunch idiots are the ones comparing decent young talent to fecking legends and expecting them to live up to unrealistic expectations...I remember in 2011 Cleverly came out of a decent loan spell at Wigan, put in a few good performances for us at the beginning of the season and he's labelled the new Paul Scholes:lol:

A year later he was getting abused by the same 'fans' for being shit/not good enough and lumped with the 'deadwood'. There are so many examples
I love straw man arguments. Everyone got excited about Cleverley (rightly so IMO) but I don't remember anyone ever saying he was the new Paul Scholes. And even if you manage to find one person that did, it's hardly representative of the fanbase is it?

Red_Ramirez

He can play Right-back, Centre-Back and Centre-midfield

I'm not sure what his best position is tbh... AT THE MOMENT There are so many holes in his game for him to be great in any particular position

This past year he's been played at right-back a lot...so I suspect he'll end up there.....

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

He's got all the physical attributes to be a destructive DM or commanding CB. He's not there mentally yet though, which is why he's been put in a less critical position.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
@Red_Ramirez you know :lol: there are other ways :lol: to express an opinion than :lol::lol: spamming laughing faces.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Hargreaves was decidedly poor for us when he played in central midfield, and his only good period was when he was moved over to the right 'wing'. Carrick was far better in that role although obviously he did it a completely different way, and Fletcher, Herrera and Matic were all better as well.

Fosu-Mensah has a lot of potential simply because of his incredible athleticism, but so far really that is all he has shown. I've been hoping to see him develop his football intelligence to take that step up. With his power and speed he should be a huge threat at fullback as pretty much nobody would be able to deal with him, but he just doesn't seem to have any idea of when to really drive forward. He's worse than what Valencia is now in that regard. He also doesn't seem to have the positioning to make it as a central defender or defensive midfielder.

I really am hopefully TFM can take that step up to make the most of his gifts, but at the moment I'm doubtful. He also seems to be quite injury-prone, and seems to constantly be injured or picking up small knocks (just in his latest game he went down twice holding his knee although he did continue).

Red_Ramirez

Better that than getting worked up over some tosser from Italy who you've (not necessarily you) seen play a couple of matches. It's rife on here.
I can see:lol:

It's well known football fans aren't the most rational bunch though.

I just hate it when they turn on the players. Disgusting.

Big difference between playing CB and midfield though. He just doesn't seem to have the awareness and reading of the game to play where he has to know whats going on 360 degrees around him. Too many misplaced touches, poor passes or slow reactions that will be punished in a midfield position. At RB or even CB its not quite such an issue as most of the threats will come from in front of him. To me he looks like a player whose physical domination in the youth leagues masked a few weaknesses.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

He was when he was 18, but honestly I don't see him making it.

He's a great athlete but his composure and on the ball skills really lack from what I've seen.

I think he will become a RB long term purely because of his athleticism, but not sure it'll be top level.

Litch

Great loan move. There's a player in there and it's a shame as he nearly had his break through season here until injured against Spurs I think?

izec

His pace is great. I also love that he isnt afraid to take a shot. But his crossing needs to improve. His high crosses just seem to get lumped into the box.

Very impressive, I watched him a lot when he was at Palace last season and wasn't going forward at all. If this loan goes well then he should be rotating with Dalot next season.

haram

Crossing looked bad but he is flying forward in that video.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Ive never seen those bursting runs and shot/crosses from him before, I had no clue he was as strong offensively as those highlights showed. Why is he on loan again?