Fosu Mensah loan watch | Fulham 2018-19

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Still don't know what to make of this guy.

He's been hyped to ridiculous levels on here with many even having a go at the manager for not playing him in central midfield for our first team.

But outside of being a phenomenal athlete I don't really know why. He's young and can still improve a lot but as a defender he seems well behind many players of his age in terms or positioning and composure. And he's not technical enough to be a midfielder. Perhaps somebody can tell me what I'm missing?
Who are all these 20 year olds with great positioning and composure? There aren't many defenders his age even getting regular game time in the PL.

Half this place busts a nut over someone like Bailly who at 24 still consistently shows poor positioning and composure. There are barely any 20 year old defenders with perfect positioning and composure. Certainly not aggressive high intensity style defenders like TFM.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I feel the same. Axel has similar athleticism but seems a bit calmer. It will be interesting to see how he progresses this year with John Terry as assistant manager. Can't think of many better former players to learn defending from.
Villa fans consistently complain about his positioning and his reliance on speed to bail himself out. They also regularly complain about his composure and have complained loads about his on the ball ability even.

Nobody on here regularly watch Championship games even which somehow makes Axel better despite him playing at a lower level and having the same complaints.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I think he should just focus on being a destroyer-type DM like Idrissa Gueye. He can fill in at RB but you want someone to be good on the ball at RB like Walker, Trippier, Carvajal etc and Fosu-Mensah simply can't attack like these RB's can.

SteveW

Villa fans consistently complain about his positioning and his reliance on speed to bail himself out. They also regularly complain about his composure and have complained loads about his on the ball ability even.

Nobody on here regularly watch Championship games even which somehow makes Axel better despite him playing at a lower level and having the same complaints.
I could be wrong. I haven't seen either play much this season. TFM has always seemed a bit more rash in my eyes despite getting the majority of the hype. He's played a lot of senior football now but the same faults seem to show up. Axel has some of the same faults and his heading needs work but he's very inexperienced at senior level. I'm hopeful gaining some experience and working with Terry might help tidy up his game a bit.

Who are all these 20 year olds with great positioning and composure? There aren't many defenders his age even getting regular game time in the PL.

Half this place busts a nut over someone like Bailly who at 24 still consistently shows poor positioning and composure. There are barely any 20 year old defenders with perfect positioning and composure. Certainly not aggressive high intensity style defenders like TFM.
I never said anything about 20 year olds having great positioning and composure, I said better than TFM in those areas. That's not saying a lot. TFM is extremely rash in my eyes. He seems to go to ground constantly.

Bailly is a decent comparison actually. Our "best defender" according to most is basically a lunatic as far as I can see.

I know you follow the young players closely and have a good knowledge generally. If forced to make predictions how would you see it panning out for TFM and Axel? Do you see them making it at United and if so to what extent?

SteveW

I think he should just focus on being a destroyer-type DM like Idrissa Gueye. He can fill in at RB but you want someone to be good on the ball at RB like Walker, Trippier, Carvajal etc and Fosu-Mensah simply can't attack like these RB's can.
Perhaps but I don't think you can make it here as a pure destroyer.

Gordon S

Still don't know what to make of this guy.

He's been hyped to ridiculous levels on here with many even having a go at the manager for not playing him in central midfield for our first team.

But outside of being a phenomenal athlete I don't really know why. He's young and can still improve a lot but as a defender he seems well behind many players of his age in terms or positioning and composure. And he's not technical enough to be a midfielder. Perhaps somebody can tell me what I'm missing?
It is easy to be impressed from the start when a player is lightning quick or strong as a horse, you don't need to look so closely to see those attributes.

Usually more useful stuff like positional sense and ability to read the game well takes much longer to notice.

If TFM could add those qualities to his game he could be a world class defender one day, as it is, he is nowhere near good enough for us.

Why some people see him as a future cm is beyond me.

In Rainbows

It is easy to be impressed from the start when a player is lightning quick or strong as a horse, you don't need to look so closely to see those attributes.

Usually more useful stuff like positional sense and ability to read the game well takes much longer to notice.

If TFM could add those qualities to his game he could be a world class defender one day, as it is, he is nowhere near good enough for us.

Why some people see him as a future cm is beyond me.
When people like me see him as a future CM it's only as a destroyer. And in particular could work next to Pogba seeing as Pogba takes so much pressure off the other midfielders to create. Fosu Mensah would just need to concentrate on providing energy, winning the ball back, not being over extravagant with his passing, and with space, lead the counter attacks with his dribbling.

If people are expecting Roy Keane, then yes, that is a huge misunderstanding of what he or Keane brought to the table.

CA1

Such a bad defender, total lack of intelligence. Never a United player in a million years. Some of our fans are so weird the way the idolise crap players. This guy is simply a myth.

Nick7

Such a bad defender, total lack of intelligence. Never a United player in a million years. Some of our fans are so weird the way the idolise crap players. This guy is simply a myth.
Jesus christ, forgive us for wanting youth players to make it at the club.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Most of the complaints Villa fans had about Tuanzebe was when he was being shoehorned into rightback. Now that he's finally been moved into the centre he's been great the last two games (their best player in the last match). Playing out of position like that certainly has an effect. I mean, I guess the same could be said for TFM as well, although nobody really knows what his position is.

I rarely watch the youth teams myself, but those that did almost all seemed to rate Tuanzebe higher than TFM from what I saw. I also remember reading reports a couple of years ago that the coaches at the club were really looking at Axel to be one half of our central defence in the future (although those same reports were saying he'd be next to Rojo who obviously doesn't seem to have worked out).

Fosu-Mensah is one of the best pure athletes you'll see on a football pitch, but there are definite question marks about the rest of his game. Hopefully he does kick on and he does have the occasional match where he's fantastic, but unfortunately I have my doubts that he'll reach the level needed to be in our strongest 11. Maybe a squad player, although hopefully he proves me wrong entirely.

CA1

Wanting them to make it and pretending they are better than they are are different things, no?
Exactly.

You won't meet a bigger champion of young players than me.

I bet half the people who rate him slate McTominay as well. McTominay is a smarter player than Fosu Mensah. Fosu Mensah is better physically. Both not really up to standard.

CA1

Fosu-Mensah is the absolute case in point of why people need to educate the rest of our fanbase sometimes.

There were some who wanted this guy to stay and play in the middle of the park ffs.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Fosu-Mensah is the absolute case in point of why people need to educate the rest of our fanbase sometimes.

There were some who wanted this guy to stay and play in the middle of the park ffs.
Or maybe we are just seeing given the game time that he isn't good enough. Wanted is the key word here, past tense, some wanted him to be given a chance when we didn't really have many good midfield options at the club and he was a bit of an unknown quantity there

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Or maybe we are just seeing given the game time that he isn't good enough. Wanted is the key word here, past tense, some wanted him to be given a chance when we didn't really have many good midfield options at the club and he was a bit of an unknown quantity there
Throwing him into the fray wasn't ever going to be a solution though, was it? The manager and coaching staff saw him in training every day in the context of other established players. They'll know if he's ready. Hell, it was easy to tell he wasntw ready just by the limited amount of minutes he has gotten so far.

rotherham_red

Jose was the worst thing that could have happened to him, Pereira, and Tuanzebe. If they were playing under a Poch, at least one, maybe two of them would have been regulars IMO

haram

Jose was the worst thing that could have happened to him, Pereira, and Tuanzebe. If they were playing under a Poch, at least one, maybe two of them would have been regulars IMO
Oh really. Even Tuanzebe is playing in the championship.

Cassidy

Out of the two young defenders, Tuanzebe certainly looks like the better player

Kag

I’ve got reservations about Fosu-Mensah but a couple of matches after injury, in a struggling Fulham side, isn’t exactly the best barometer of how good a player he is (or might be).

There’s something there, but it’s unbelievably raw. I’m not convinced he’s a right back either, but that’s open to debate.

Red_Ramirez

Out of the two young defenders, Tuanzebe certainly looks like the better player
Debatable.

What is certain Axel by all accounts has the right temperament to become a Manchester United player. No fecking question. Top mentality and captain material..

Question is if he has the technical qualities to be a top centre-half for us

cyberman

We've never developed defenders ( 2 maybe in 30 years?) yet you're blaming Jose for 3 from the one class failing to live up to the hype?

Cassidy

Debatable.

What is certain Axel by all accounts has the right temperament to become a Manchester United player. No fecking question. Top mentality and captain material..

Do you remember him vs Arsenal last season up against Sanchez. Also technically he is actually pretty good.

Classical Mechanic

Debatable.

He has very good technical qualities. The main criticism of him currently is his ability in the air. A lot of people are expressing surprise at how good he is on the ball.

Red_Ramirez

He has very good technical qualities. The main criticism of him currently is his ability in the air. A lot of people are expressing surprise at how good he is on the ball.
Yeah that's what I mean as well

Heading is a (technique) technical quality. Timing in jumps is a technical quality. Reading of the game is a technical quality etc etc.

Walters_19_MuFc

Whats his favoured position, because every time I watch him he's playing right back. Was the same.at Palace last year, too?

Cassidy

Yeah that's what I mean as well

Heading is a (technique) technical quality. Timing in jumps is a technical quality. Reading of the game is a technical quality etc etc.
I'm not sure that is classed as a technical quality but hey ho.
Anyway technically he is a good player, he needs to improve some aspects. However I don't see whats debatable about him being a better defender than Fosu Mensah, that has always been my understanding from when they both played in the u23s

Cassidy

Whats his favoured position, because every time I watch him he's playing right back. Was the same.at Palace last year, too?
Its weird because he was more of a central player before LVG got his hands on him

Smores

That post is so bad it's almost a parody. I mean it's a good thing Spurs don't have several youngsters in similar situations or you'd look very silly wouldn't you.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Bollocks.