Fosu Mensah loan watch | Fulham 2018-19

Kostur

海尔的老板
Whats his favoured position, because every time I watch him he's playing right back. Was the same.at Palace last year, too?
Depending on where he fecked it up the last match. If he fecks it up as a CB, 'he's a natural RB', if he's shit at RB 'he was never a fullback, he's a centre back' and ultimately also a CDM because 'he's quick, strong and big lad with good technique'.
Jose was the worst thing that could have happened to him, Pereira, and Tuanzebe. If they were playing under a Poch, at least one, maybe two of them would have been regulars IMO
Regulars for who exactly?

Red_Ramirez

Whats his favoured position, because every time I watch him he's playing right back. Was the same.at Palace last year, too?
I'm not sure that is classed as a technical quality but hey ho.
Anyway technically he is a good player, he needs to improve some aspects. However I don't see whats debatable about him being a better defender than Fosu Mensah, that has always been my understanding from when they both played in the u23s
Reading of the game is a skill no?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's really inconsistent (young player shock). Like he'll seriously go from looking like such a force - powerful, quick, awesome in the one v one to being a sliding mess and struggling to make simple passes. Seems to happen within games too, not just from week to week.

Ludens the Red

Jose was the worst thing that could have happened to him, Pereira, and Tuanzebe. If they were playing under a Poch, at least one, maybe two of them would have been regulars IMO
Fosu Mensah was trash at Palace and has been an abomination at Fulham.
If he can’t make an impression there then there’s no hope for him here.
Tuanzebe has been better at Villa but not enough to justify getting anywhere near our team. The championship isn’t that difficult a league to look good in so he’ll need to sharpen up.
They’re two young defenders and at a time where our team is pathetic in general it would be suicide to have these two playing regularly. Not just for us as a team but for them and their development.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Do you remember him vs Arsenal last season up against Sanchez. Also technically he is actually pretty good.
What a bizarre point to try claim someone is better. Remember the countless impressive games TFM has had? Remember who Sane has said his and toughest opponent was? Remember who has been regularly playing in the PL for a second season while you remember the other who's been struggling to get a game in the Championship.

Axel may be better but naming one random game proves nothing. You can also go pick out a few random performances where Villa fans call him terrible.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's better at centre back imo but I wouldn't give up on him just yet Iregardless. He always looked good when playing for us.

I think his preferred position is CB, he used to play there. He's playing RB because he's miles away from being good enough to play in the middle.

He'll be sold in the next year or two imo. He's not going to be good enough for us.

Alabaster Codify7

Said it before. Athlete,not a footballer. Won't make it with us,sadly. If he was 5ft 10in and a slim bloke, Jose would've sold him this summer. Jose loves big units though. I hazard a guess that a new manager who is technically minded and forward thinking would sell him. All brawn and no brain.

Kostov

What amazes me, is the United fans who can't wait to slate some of our 20 year olds. Yeah he might never make it, and United fans might overrate them, but young footballers trajectories are never easy to determinate. TFM has showed great promise in the past, and you never know how it might pen out.

SteveW

Tuanzebe has been better at Villa but not enough to justify getting anywhere near our team. The championship isn’t that difficult a league to look good in so he’ll need to sharpen up.
They’re two young defenders and at a time where our team is pathetic in general it would be suicide to have these two playing regularly. Not just for us as a team but for them and their development.
Axel has been voted Villas player of the month for October

Edit: @limerickcitykid
Can't see him struggling for game time any longer if he's getting player of the month awards

What amazes me, is the United fans who can't wait to slate some of our 20 year olds. Yeah he might never make it, and United fans might overrate them, but young footballers trajectories are never easy to determinate. TFM has showed great promise in the past, and you never know how it might pen out.
It's true he is young but i struggle to think of any regular Manchester United players of years gone by that weren't showing serious promise by that age. Not everyone is in the starting 11 every week but i cant think of anyone who truly made it here who wasn't an obvious talent by then. TFM hasn't looked up to it for a long time now.

It probably doesn't help his cause on here that every match day you have posters moaning hes out on loan and should be starting for us instead.

Kostov

It's true he is young but i struggle to think of any regular Manchester United players of years gone by that weren't showing serious promise by that age. Not everyone is in the starting 11 every week but i cant think of anyone who truly made it here who wasn't an obvious talent by then. TFM hasn't looked up to it for a long time now.

It probably doesn't help his cause on here that every match day you have posters moaning hes out on loan and should be starting for us instead.
Seriously? We have Scott McTominay on the bench who has never showed serious promise for me. If anything we tolerate mediocrity for too long. Scott for example has not shown much quality as a CM, while taking the place of a more talented young MF in Perreira. Lingard is another example of mediocre academy graduate being tolerated while being a very ordinary footballer.

TFM has showed good promise at the age of 18, and to be fair he has not developed as some of us expected. I've seen him play couple of times this year before the injury, it's like the same TFM from his debut season. That's not good and eventually he will be moved. He learns his trade making mistakes away from the club, we lose nothing either way.

Seriously? We have Scott McTominay on the bench who has never showed serious promise for me. If anything we tolerate mediocrity for too long. Scott for example has not shown much quality as a CM, while taking the place of a more talented young MF in Perreira. Lingard is another example of mediocre academy graduate being tolerated while being a very ordinary footballer.

TFM has showed good promise at the age of 18, and to be fair he has not developed as some of us expected. I've seen him play couple of times this year before the injury, it's like the same TFM from his debut season. That's not good and eventually he will be moved. He learns his trade making mistakes away from the club, we lose nothing either way.
Have either of them really made it here or are likely to do so? In the SAF years would they have stood a chance? Lingard maybe as a squad player, but otherwise I doubt it. McTominay and Lingard are not the definition of 'making it' i was going for.

I'll happily agree that we tolerate mediocrity for far too long, so I'm not sure why you're suggesting we do the same with TFM.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
What a bizarre point to try claim someone is better. Remember the countless impressive games TFM has had? Remember who Sane has said his and toughest opponent was? Remember who has been regularly playing in the PL for a second season while you remember the other who's been struggling to get a game in the Championship.

Axel may be better but naming one random game proves nothing. You can also go pick out a few random performances where Villa fans call him terrible.
The remember the game was to talk about him not being technically too poor to play for the first team

My reasoning for saying he was better from from the u23s which I stated in previous posts

Kostov

Have either of them really made it here or are likely to do so? In the SAF years would they have stood a chance? Lingard maybe as a squad player, but otherwise I doubt it. McTominay and Lingard are not the definition of 'making it' i was going for.

I'll happily agree that we tolerate mediocrity for far too long, so I'm not sure why you're suggesting we do the same with TFM.
The way I see it, we might sell TFM next summer, and we might lose out to a useful player for peanuts. McTominay on the other hand is a bit older player who if we sell, I don't feel we lose anything since he has shown nothing so far. Lingard on the other hand is as good as he ever will be, and that's far off the standard.

NotQuiteManc

Might need to do the Carvajal move where he would play and learn his trade in Germany (Leverkusen for Carvajal) and bought back a season later.

Like most said, he is severely lacking in the mental/technical side at the moment. I remember him playing in the centre of midfield after coming in as a sub. He looked really lost, wasnt sure when to press or not up until Herrera screamed at him to press the opponent.

rotherham_red

TFM wasn't trash at Palace. In fact, he was consistently praised by the Palace fans for being one of the very few (along with Loftus-Cheek) to turn up while they were in the doldrums under De Boer. Then he went out of the team because Hodgson went for the tried and trusted Ward but he eventually won him over and had great games against quality opposition like the Man City draw at Selhurst Park. What screwed TFM at Palace was the Utd game cos he had to drop out due to parent club rules, and the up until then little-known Wan-Bissaka came in and looked a million bucks and hasn't looked back since. He's no doubt stalled in his development, but that is attributable to being loaned out to clubs who have been absolute basketcases. No young player, no matter how talented, can thrive in such circumstances.

Tuanzebe played a stretch of PL games in Jose's first season where he looked liked he belonged and coasted through - including his debut against Arsenal at the Emirates where he shut down Sanchez (when Sanchez was at his peak). Even last season, against Swansea he totally outperformed Lindelof in the game only to never be seen again. In Axel's pre-season debut against Wigan (Jose's first game in charge) Jose said he only needed 5 mins to see that Axel was a special, special player. Only for him to then buy Lindelof, who although is now finally looking like he's adapted was seriously not worth the hassle when a talent like Tuanzebe was patently ready for the step up the season before.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Meh, shut down Sanchez and was better than Lindelof.

Still a lot to prove then :)

Cookingfunt

With all the talk about needing a centre-half, I honestly see this guy as the long-term CB for United. Why send him out on loan? Get him some game time with United this season, it makes more sense. The league is gone and top 4 means that we have to hope that teams above us drop points and we not only make up the ground, but continue winning - which I don't trust United to do this season

So why not give this prospect the opportunity to flourish at the club he's contracted to for crying out loud?

Last edited by a moderator:

PepsiCola

Anyway the issue with Fosu has been two poor choice of loan moves where hes been played in an unnatural position.

He was a central player at youth, iirc. CDM or CB are his stronger positions. Hes been forced at RB at both Palace (woeful start and then dropped for Wan Bisakka) and Fulham (woeful defensively). We should end the loan and send him to a championship club where he'll get minutes at CB.

Axel wasn't great at Villa last year when forced to play as a RB. He's been great this season in a more natural CB role. Hopefully the same can be done for Fosu-Mensah.

R'hllor

Take care, dont stab a kid to deep, you might not be able to pull out the knife.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Meh, shut down Sanchez and was better than Lindelof.

Still a lot to prove then :)
Tbf, shutting down Sanchez hasn't proved to be difficult for the rest of the league either :lol:

JK-27

Anyway the issue with Fosu has been two poor choice of loan moves where hes been played in an unnatural position.

He was a central player at youth, iirc. CDM or CB are his stronger positions. Hes been forced at RB at both Palace (woeful start and then dropped for Wan Bisakka) and Fulham (woeful defensively). We should end the loan and send him to a championship club where he'll get minutes at CB.

Axel wasn't great at Villa last year when forced to play as a RB. He's been great this season in a more natural CB role. Hopefully the same can be done for Fosu-Mensah.
I have serveral mates who are Palace ST holders and they thought he was really good. I saw him play at Palace a few times and I thought he looked good as well, especially as he was playing behind Zaha who provided no cover for him at all, so not sure what your 'woeful' comment is based on.

Ekeke

I've only seen highlights of the game but I hope people arent slating him for his own goal this week. He was left to mark 3 players at the backpost, the ball came off him and went in. Sure he didn't do amazingly and clear the ball but all of his teammates around him didnt even track their runners or get into a position to even compete for the ball. At least he did that part.

PepsiCola

Sorry I should have been clearer with my post.

Fosu was good BUT Palace had a woeful start to the season under De Boer. Hodgson didn't give him a look for a while, preffering more experienced players. When he did get a chance, he was good until Palace were forced to play Wan Bissaka against us, who looked great.

I still feel his best position is more central.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
The more I see of him the more I think he isn't good enough to make it. Technically and mentally he's miles behind where he needs to be to make any serious claims of becoming a top 6 defender. He's becoming increasingly reliant on his physical attributes, and against the top players it just won't cut it. If I had to choose between Tuanzebe and TFM to bring back into the side right now then it's no contest.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name

And yet Manchester United and England both player better when he's in the team, funny that

Kostov

And yet Manchester United and England both player better when he's in the team, funny that
When did that happen exactly? England played the last games without him and beat Spain if I'm not mistaken and Manchester United is in the best shape when he isn't in the starting 11.

RedNed77

I really do not understand what everybody is seeing in this lad that his name is thrust forward as the saviour for a number of positions. We need a new RB? no TFM can play there, he'll be the next Cafu. Need a new CB? No TFM is the next Nesta. DM? No, TFM is a genetical hybrid of Roy Keane & Patrick Viera. Can we just accept he's a bit rubbish? He's 21 in a couple of weeks and by Ole's own words, if you arent around the first team by the time your his age you're not going to make it. The first team? He's not even around Greater Manchester. Same for Tuanzebe.

gulli_G

I really do not understand what everybody is seeing in this lad that his name is thrust forward as the saviour for a number of positions. We need a new RB? no TFM can play there, he'll be the next Cafu. Need a new CB? No TFM is the next Nesta. DM? No, TFM is a genetical hybrid of Roy Keane & Patrick Viera. Can we just accept he's a bit rubbish? He's 21 in a couple of weeks and by Ole's own words, if you arent around the first team by the time your his age you're not going to make it. The first team? He's not even around Greater Manchester. Same for Tuanzebe.
Disagree with you on Tuanzebe, Mourinhio did not give youngsters chances, but even he recognised Tuanzebe within minutes.

Kag

Tuanzebe will be brilliant. Whether that’s at United or not is another story.

Bestietom

If we are not going to bring any players in, then Fosu and Tuanzebe need to be brought back for the second half of season.

RedNed77

Disagree with you on Tuanzebe, Mourinhio did not give youngsters chances, but even he recognised Tuanzebe within minutes.
Tuanzebe will be brilliant. Whether that’s at United or not is another story.
I hope so, I'd always prefer a youth product to a bought in solution. I just havent seen anything in these guys that makes me think theyre up to it.

Ekeke

I dont agree that TFM is rubbish. Nor Tuanzebe. But will they make it at United? My answer is no. Will they make it as first team players in the premier league for somebody in the next 2 years? I'm not sure on that one either. But probably not.

Our posters/fans always make out that we have loads of good young players that might make it but very few do. Long term some make it as premier league players but I dont think theres many that dont quite make it at United when they're young and then go onto their next club and make it there as a starter in the premier league very soon after. Usually its a slower process and maybe they help get their team promoted from the championship like with Matty James and Danny Drinkwater.

I could see both of them playing for someone in the premier league regularly by the time they're 25-27 but thats a long way away.

For me only Gomes is someone I'm relatively sure will make it as a squad player or if for some reason he doesnt get enough football in the next 2 years, will find himself a smaller premier league team and play regularly there. Chong has a chance but I'm far less convinced. Greenwood needs to show what he can do at u23. And the rest are probably going to follow the same pattern as the previous generation trying to play football in the championship or scotland and work towards making it as a starter in the premier league by mid career.