Fosu Mensah loan watch | Fulham 2018-19

RedNed77

I dont agree that TFM is rubbish. Nor Tuanzebe. But will they make it at United? My answer is no. Will they make it as first team players in the premier league for somebody in the next 2 years? I'm not sure on that one either. But probably not.

Our posters/fans always make out that we have loads of good young players that might make it but very few do. Long term some make it as premier league players but I dont think theres many that dont quite make it at United when they're young and then go onto their next club and make it there as a starter in the premier league very soon after. Usually its a slower process and maybe they help get their team promoted from the championship like with Matty James and Danny Drinkwater.

I could see both of them playing for someone in the premier league regularly by the time they're 25-27 but thats a long way away.

For me only Gomes is someone I'm relatively sure will make it as a squad player or if for some reason he doesnt get enough football in the next 2 years, will find himself a smaller premier league team and play regularly there. Chong has a chance but I'm far less convinced. Greenwood needs to show what he can do at u23. And the rest are probably going to follow the same pattern as the previous generation trying to play football in the championship or scotland and work towards making it as a starter in the premier league by mid career.
Rubbish was probably a bit unfair, but we seem to roughly agree.

Re Gomes, he looked pretty scared when he came on at the weekend. Which is understandable given his age, but i tend to think truly standout players tend to grab their chances by the scruff of the neck. He didnt really do that for me on boxing day. I'd really like to see him get a good few games under his belt bewteen now and the summer as I agree he looks the most naturally talented of our youth players. Talent isnt always the last word though, application and confidence also are key.

wolvored

I really do not understand what everybody is seeing in this lad that his name is thrust forward as the saviour for a number of positions. We need a new RB? no TFM can play there, he'll be the next Cafu. Need a new CB? No TFM is the next Nesta. DM? No, TFM is a genetical hybrid of Roy Keane & Patrick Viera. Can we just accept he's a bit rubbish? He's 21 in a couple of weeks and by Ole's own words, if you arent around the first team by the time your his age you're not going to make it. The first team? He's not even around Greater Manchester. Same for Tuanzebe.
This. You are exactly right. We need proper quality players to play for us if we are going to get back to the top. Just because they have played for the youth shouldnt be an automatic right to end up in the first team. The class of 92 were an anomoly, and we have struggled to get any WC/top player come through the reserves since then. Pique & Pogba are the exception and we poached both of them from Barca and Le Havre.

RedNed77

This. You are exactly right. We need proper quality players to play for us if we are going to get back to the top. Just because they have played for the youth shouldnt be an automatic right to end up in the first team. The class of 92 were an anomoly, and we have struggled to get any WC/top player come through the reserves since then. Pique & Pogba are the exception and we poached both of them from Barca and Le Havre.
Don't get me wrong I'd rather we progressed one of our own, but it has to be because they are good enough. Not just because they are one of our own. There was a steady drip of players with SAF and then the glut from the CO92, but more usually one or two every few years. We've got Rashford and Lingard through recently, not every one of them is going to make it and it just seems like wishful thinking with some of the lads being touted at the moment. They should get a chance, but we need to be honest about their ability levels when they've been given a decent go. I'm sure i saw somebody on here say they still had hopes for James wilson the other day :houllier:.

Mr PG

You can usually judge how good a player is by where he goes on loan...which teams want him.

Fans a bit obsessed with TFM and Perreira but you just feel they’re not and will never be united standard.

Ekeke

You can usually judge how good a player is by where he goes on loan...which teams want him.

Fans a bit obsessed with TFM and Perreira but you just feel they’re not and will never be united standard.
Seems a weird statement.

Valencia tend to produce good players for better teams to sign and they loaned Andreas and wanted to keep him.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He has more chance to be a centre back than being a modern full back.

youmeletsfly

10 minutes on against arsenal, enough to realize the guy lacks any decent football intelligence.

Raw

I don't have much hope for him. There are other players I'd rather see get opportunities over him.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Troubling that Ranieri thinks that Christie guy is better. Cause that guy is turd.

IrishMcD

It won't stop people still mentioning him as a potential right back for us next season. Don't see, have never seen it and just don't understand it.

RedDevil5

Not going to survive the next manager IMO. I just don't see enough talent for a United player.

Alabaster Codify7

People seem to be coming around to what I (and some others) have said for ages - this guy is a poor football player, simple as that. He's an athlete, not a footballer. A headless chicken with no positional sense whatsoever. Will never make it at United.

Bola

Can we get him back in time for Saturday? We don’t have much options do we.
I agree with a poster yesterday who said it's best we rest Jones and Lindelof for the Spurs game. TFM has played several prem games at CB for Palace last season and cpuld therefore walk straight into the team v Reading.

Would it be too high risk to pair him with Roshun Williams given its a home game and Reading are atrocious at the moment?

Zlatattack

Guys, I want all our youngsters to be superstars for us, but he's struggled at Palace and at Fulham. Do you really think he'll make the grade for us here?

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
I agree with a poster yesterday who said it's best we rest Jones and Lindelof for the Spurs game. TFM has played several prem games at CB for Palace last season and cpuld therefore walk straight into the team v Reading.

Would it be too high risk to pair him with Roshun Williams given its a home game and Reading are atrocious at the moment?
You could play 2 u15's centre-backs and still batter us.

We're proper shite at the moment and all focus is on the league. I'm genuinely worried you're going to put 6 or 7 past us because Ole will be playing attackers like Lukaku & Sanchez who will have a point to prove.

maverickjesus

Guys, I want all our youngsters to be superstars for us, but he's struggled at Palace and at Fulham. Do you really think he'll make the grade for us here?
Frankly, no. He looks barely average at a Premiership level and hasn't shown anything in the way of glimpses of talent/potential. He'll end up in the Championship somewhere, or go back to Holland.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Probably not, but Solskjaer's got me so optimistic I'm willing to give anyone a chance.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name

Negan

These Premier League loans are the worst.

These teams won’t play our players because they don’t want to benefit United by developing one of our prospects. They know there’s no chance of signing them permanently so they choose to go with one of their own.

He would be better off here.

MrBest

Its annoying because he is constantly played at RB and CB when clearly that is not his position. For ne he should be the holding midfielder, but not in a United team. Would do well at a solid mid table club like Newcastle or West Ham. The hype didnt materialise with him. On the other hand, Tuanzabe has the potential still to be a United player. Strong, fast and good on the ball. I would be in favour of him coming back from Villa if it meant Jones could be dropped.

haram

You could play 2 u15's centre-backs and still batter us.

We're proper shite at the moment and all focus is on the league. I'm genuinely worried you're going to put 6 or 7 past us because Ole will be playing attackers like Lukaku & Sanchez who will have a point to prove.
Do you think you will rest players?

el3mel

He doesn't have any kind of talent, that's the problem. Just a strong athlete and that's it, not much of a fooballer all honestly. He's different from someone like Tuanzebe who you can see his talent clearly.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Yeah he's another like Pereira that hasn't nailed down a place. It's my biggest worry with Gomes as another through the academy. Chong is a blatant winger and Greenwood an obvious striker. Gomes can play a few different positions and I think it might hinder him coming through.

POF

He's been a bit unlucky to be fair. He was doing well at Palace including shutting out an in-form Sane and then Wan Bissaka came along. Any club would play their own talented kid over a loanee.

He's been injured a lot at Fulham but has had some good games. Right back is definitely his position for now. He has the athleticism and pace to get up and down which is key in that role. There's no way he's good enough on the ball to play in midfield just now.

With his injury issues it's hard to see him play every week on loan. I'd be happy for him to come back to the club and get a few games in rotation.

staniswin

State of some people , not good enough for palace , not good enough for fulham , so how is he possibly good enough for us ? Guy is just another only brawn no brain type of player , typical of player whose being rated by 80% of twitter fans just because he is fast. Very inept tactically , put him as our DM suddenly our back four get exposed all the time because he run around like headless chicken, doesn't know when to charge or when to hold position.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He's been a bit unlucky to be fair. He was doing well at Palace including shutting out an in-form Sane and then Wan Bissaka came along. Any club would play their own talented kid over a loanee.
Also IiRC Wan Bissaka played as Fosu Mensah was not eligible to play against us, so they had to play him. Never looked back.

R'hllor

There is a bit of context in case of TFM.

At Palace, he was getting minutes under FDB, then he got sacked after what, 4 games? Roy came and turned to players that Palace own instantly, at that moment TFM didnt even get a chance to fail.

At Fulham similar situation but just a bit different, Jokanovic gave him more then enough minutes, deciding factor happened in a few games before Jokanovic got sacked, he had a bad game and due Fulham not being able to have a clean shit, Jokanovic dropped him, after that he got injured and Ranieri just like Roy turned to RB that club owns.

Think 1 year loans for these young players are really bad for everyone. When you loan a player to X club in same division or level under, they wont see any reward for developing him during a season, they know he will leave at the end of season. Also clubs cant plan long term with 1 year loan, in most cases is just a body to fill a gap in squads. 2 year loans are way better option for me, anyway for some reason i still believe in TFM.