FourFourTwo’s 50 greatest United players of all-time.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Giggs is unfcukwithable as number one. It’s a shame he’s such a Cnut but he’s our best ever player in totality.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
@Bobski You clearly remember a different career than I do. I remember a guy who people were comparing to George Best at the outset but who never ultimately lived up to those comparisons. I recall Fergie talking about Giggs's famous goal v Arsenal in the FA Cup and saying that he was happy about it because Giggs had stopped regularly running at defenders in that way for a long time. He definitely lost his way for a bit there. Then he garnered greater respect towards the end because he played at a high level until the age of 40 and people rightly began to laud his longevity. But the career as a whole up to then was spotty, some great bits and some meh bits with over 100 sub appearances thrown in.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
This is my point, he has the medals but it's basically because he played the longest under a very successful Fergie. He was a great player though, of course.
Youre downplaying how good you had to be to get in that side. It’s a ringing endorsement of him to have played in those sides. He was never a passenger and had 3 different careers at the club. He’s untouchable.

I’d not have him as number one of something more arbitrary like ‘Biggest club legend’. But if he’d had Charltons off-field demeanour and decorum he’d be number one on everyone’s list.

Bobski

@Bobski You clearly remember a different career than I do. I remember a guy who people were comparing to George Best at the outset but who never ultimately lived up to those comparisons. I recall Fergie talking about Giggs's famous goal v Arsenal in the FA Cup and saying that he was happy about it because Giggs had stopped regularly running at defenders in that way for a long time. He definitely lost his way for a bit there. Then he garnered greater respect towards the end because he played at a high level until the age of 40 and people rightly began to laud his longevity. But the career as a whole up to then was spotty, some great bits and some meh bits with over 100 sub appearances thrown in.
You say that as if he was getting participatory flowers, look at old Giggsy, he is still pretty good. No, he was still one of the best and most impactful attacking players in the league up until very late in his career, albeit at lower usage. In that 2013 game against Madrid where Utd lost to Madrid after the Nani red card, Giggs was the best player on the pitch, against Ronaldo and co, at 37. Or at 35 in that run to the 2011 final against Barca, his influence in the knockout rounds was immense.

paulscholes18

I know he was only here for 3 seasons (don’t know how highly people rate longevity) but Stam should be much higher, I have him above Ferdinand.

kaku06

My top 10 would be

1) Charlton
2) Best
3) Cantona
4) Law
5) Keane
6) Robson
7) Giggs
8) Scholes
9) Rooney
10) Ronaldo

Bobski

I know he was only here for 3 seasons (don’t know how highly people rate longevity) but Stam should be much higher, I have him above Ferdinand.
I find it hard to rate Stam, because Fergie was never able to put top class defenders around him, Neville peaked quite late and was still developing at that point, Irwin was done, Schmeichel was gone and he was partnered by the likes of Brown/Berg/Johnsen and Silvestre. Pretty much was the main reason why the 99 team didn't kick on in Europe, put the 08 defensive unit with the 99 front 6 and they win at least one more CL I would think.

Spoony

The People's President
Yeah that's how I remember his career. Again, I can't recall a season where he was our best player or most important player. He struggled for a large part of his career, he used to frustrate the hell out of fans. I think his longevity, medal count and good performances near the end of his time as a footballer has clouded people's judgement. Very good player but not a great one.

Bondi77

To be fair I still have no idea how we ended up winning that game against Crvena Zvezda, Savićević wiped the floor with Ince & co. and we should’ve lost it by a significant margin.
Well you must have the same opinion of when we beat Bayern as well then?

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
You say that as if he was getting participatory flowers, look at old Giggsy, he is still pretty good. No, he was still one of the best and most impactful attacking players in the league up until very late in his career, albeit at lower usage. In that 2013 game against Madrid where Utd lost to Madrid after the Nani red card, Giggs was the best player on the pitch, against Ronaldo and co, at 37. Or at 35 in that run to the 2011 final against Barca, his influence in the knockout rounds was immense.
I've seen a number of United players that I consider to have been better and more consistent throughout their careers. If he's your number one then that's fine.

Bobski

I've seen a number of United players that I consider to have been better and more consistent throughout their careers. If he's your number one then that's fine.
He's not, he is my 4th behind Charlton, Best and Ronaldo.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
He's not, he is my 4th behind Charlton, Best and Ronaldo.
I'm not sure what we've been debating about then. My initial point was that he is not the greatest player in United's history. Turns out that you don't think he is either.

Bobski

I'm not sure what we've been debating about then. My initial point was that he is not the greatest player in United's history. Turns out that you don't think he is either.
Mostly that I didn't think that the likes of Cantona and Keane have an argument over him. Cantona would be anywhere between 9th-12th on my list.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Mostly that I didn't think that the likes of Cantona and Keane have an argument over him. Cantona would be anywhere between 9th-12th on my list.
I never mentioned Keane although I think he definitely has an argument to be above Giggs. Cantona's name is still sung by Man United fans to this day, there's a reason for that.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
There are arguments for both. Giggs has enough reasons to be 1st on the list: medals, longevity, extremely talented (one of our most talented players ever), bloody quick and skillful, extremely exciting to watch when on form.
However there are also arguments for him being a little lower on the list: He was not the most consistent, could be frustrating at times and especially when he was younger he was often injured. Keane, Cantona, Becks for example were also performing at a high level but at the same time were more consistent.

Mainoldo

But yet we are putting guys number 1 for running at players for 3 years then packing it in?

Let’s digest that and make it make sense.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
My old man who passed away aged 85 a couple of years ago was a City fan but like many did back in the day went to City 1 week and United the next. He always said the best player he ever saw was big Duncan. That's good enough for me.

Bondi77

To be fair I still have no idea how we ended up winning that game against Crvena Zvezda, Savićević wiped the floor with Ince & co. and we should’ve lost it by a significant margin.
I thought it was Red Star we played or are you from that part of the world and that is the pronunciation?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I thought it was Red Star we played or are you from that part of the world and that is the pronunciation?
Yeah, it’s the same team (crvena = red & zvezda = star) but for some reason people often translate it even though I think that in English names aren’t translatable.

Although I know the reason, obviously, it’s convenience.

Bondi77

Yeah, it’s the same team (crvena = red & zvezda = star) but for some reason people often translate it even though I think that in English names aren’t translatable.

Although I know the reason, obviously, it’s convenience.
I do remember Savicevic tearing us a new one back in the day but a win is a win in my books as I have seen us tear a team apart in the past and not get a win.
Yugoslavia would have had one helluva team in the Euros though!

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
My top 10 would be

1) Charlton
2) Best
3) Cantona
4) Law
5) Keane
6) Robson
7) Giggs
8) Scholes
9) Rooney
10) Ronaldo
I think we need to get in a guy who was the best keeper in the world for a while!

Dr Foo

I'll shamelessly link my own video which is probably the most lengthy/comprehensive George Best compilation on YouTube (there are also all-touch compilation on my channel if you want to see his entire performance which will include mistakes etc. — gives you a clearer picture).

In mid-to-late 60's he reached one of the greatest peaks by any player ever — it wasn't quite as impressive in terms of stats as, say, Cristiano's time at Real Madrid but the time was different and no one cared quite as much about scoring 60+ goals per season. It was more of a case of winning the game and doing it in style. But the eye test doesn't lie — peak George Best was certainly the best and the most exciting British player ever and he is somewhere alongside Maradona, Ronaldinho and young Luis Ronaldo as the greatest and most exciting player that I've personally ever seen.

Sadly, just like Ronaldinho and Luis Ronaldo (for different reasons though), his peak was relatively short as by the time the 70's came he was already not very focused on football, he partied to much, didn't train properly and he even retired a couple of times. But I'd put 66'-69' Best higher than 06'-09' Cristiano personally, although not by that much.
Thank you for sharing this! Helps us who have not seen Best appreciate him better. Certainly looks brilliant in peak, and understandable why some would put him as the best. Again depends on whether we are ranking a player based on their absolute peak or longevity

Hughes35

I only do this things on players I really remember watching so unfortunately I can't include the likes of Best and Charlton.

Players I've seen / remember:

1. Ronaldo
2. Rooney
3. Scholes
4.Giggs
5. Keane
6. Ferdinand
7. RVN
8. Cantona (I was a little too young to fully appreciate)
9. Vidic
10. Schmeichel

Foxbatt

I saw Robson at his best. He was a one man team. There was nothing Robson can't do. He can tackle in his own box and then get at the end of the pass in the opposite box to score. He is a great header, can shoot from long range, can dribble, can pass and reads the game very well. Much as I think Keane was a top player at his best, he is no Robson.

Foxbatt

Thank you for sharing this! Helps us who have not seen Best appreciate him better. Certainly looks brilliant in peak, and understandable why some would put him as the best. Again depends on whether we are ranking a player based on their absolute peak or longevity
I saw Bestie. It's a different world. Players can and do get away with anything short of murder those days. He was simply the Best. He was an entertainer too.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I saw Robson at his best. He was a one man team. There was nothing Robson can't do. He can tackle in his own box and then get at the end of the pass in the opposite box to score. He is a great header, can shoot from long range, can dribble, can pass and reads the game very well. Much as I think Keane was a top player at his best, he is no Robson.
Yip ⬆