France 1998-2006

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
That is entirely possible, but that group game shouldn't be overestimated — they basically gave it away even before it began by benching Zidane, Blanc, Thuram, Lizarazu, Henry and even Barthez (how were they going to win it when Blanc was kissing his bald head on the bench?). And even then it was surprisingly competitive.
Yeah I know, I'm a bit biased. Still, that generation of players could've done it in the final, but screwed up in typical dutch fashion.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
That is entirely possible, but that group game shouldn't be overestimated — they basically gave it away even before it began by benching Zidane, Blanc, Thuram, Lizarazu, Henry and even Barthez (how were they going to win it when Blanc was kissing his bald head on the bench?). And even then it was surprisingly competitive.
Yes both teams were already through to the quarter-finals. France didn't really care about topping the group or not, while the Netherlands did because if they finished 2nd they would have played their quarter-final (and prospective semi-final) in Belgium rather than in their own country. A draw would have seen France top the group on goals scored, so the Netherlands had to win it. I think that France made 8 or 9 changes to their starting line-up from their previous match.

All 4 semi-finalists at that tournament were incredibly strong.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Yeah I know, I'm a bit biased. Still, that generation of players could've done it in the final, but screwed up in typical dutch fashion.
Oh, without a doubt. If not for your usual ill luck and squad conflicts, you could’ve won at least 1 of 1998/2000 (although in a game of what ifs Brazil had better chances in 1998).

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Oh, without a doubt. If not for your usual ill luck and squad conflicts, you could’ve won at least 1 of 1998/2000 (although in a game of what ifs Brazil had better chances in 1998).
Yeah, Brazil deserved the win. I remember having a heart attack everytime Ronaldo got the ball.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Interesting. I'll need to rewatch that 2000 semi-final, it's been on my list anyway, from what I remember it was a fantastic game.
I don’t agree with @Peyroteo on this one. France deserved to win that semifinal in 2000, while not the most spectacular game of the tournament you can see both teams were at their top, for me the best Portugal National Team I watched live, overall the best in history for me it’s the one in 66 when Eusébio and Coluna were at their peak. Unfortunately Abel Xavier misled his colleagues saying it wasn’t a penalty when it clearly was.

But if you want to see a France vs Portugal semifinals where for 75 minutes they completely subjected Portugal to a massacre, where Bento the Portuguese keeper had an outstanding performance, then you must see the 1984 game in Marseille. France could have won that game by 5:0, if not for Bento, but the game went into being one of the best Euro semifinals ever. By the way Chalana was a great winger, but mentally weak to play abroad when he left Benfica for Bordeaux.

I don’t know if the 80’s French NT was the best ever for them, but certainly was the most entertaining they ever had, when you link up Giresse, Tigana and Platini it was beautiful to watch, and I cannot remember a better player during a European Championship than Platini, best European player of the 80’s for me.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I disagree about Spain. I remember them humiliating a good Italian side in the 2012 final. France were never that far ahead of the pack. Xavi, Iniesta and Alonso against the likes of Deschamps and Petit would have been like one of those two finals United lost..
Probably not quite the exact match up of the two but France played Spain in 2006 last 16 (think it's the only meeting between two nations in major tournament incredibly enough). France were 1 nil down but turned the screw second half with Vieira bundling in a late FK. Spain had a midfield of Xavi, Xabi Alonso and Fabregas.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I don’t agree with @Peyroteo on this one. France deserved to win that semifinal in 2000, while not the most spectacular game of the tournament you can see both teams were at their top, for me the best Portugal National Team I watched live, overall the best in history for me it’s the one in 66 when Eusébio and Coluna were at their peak. Unfortunately Abel Xavier misled his colleagues saying it wasn’t a penalty when it clearly was.
Yes Portugal were excellent at Euro 2000 - I've said many times that I think that team was better than any of their later ones with Ronaldo and / or under Scolari etc. They played very attractive football, and were a very well balanced and cohesive team.

The first goal against England by Figo received most of the attention, but I liked the second goal more, with 20 odd passes, an excellent cross by Rui Costa and then that superb diving header by Joao Pinto :drool: . Rui Costa (who I was a big fan of through picking Fiorentina as my favourite Serie A club in the late 90s) ran the show that night.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Yeah, Brazil deserved the win. I remember having a heart attack everytime Ronaldo got the ball.
Holland should've had a penalty right at the end, Van Hoojidonk was tugged back.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Probably not quite the exact match up of the two but France played Spain in 2006 last 16 (think it's the only meeting between two nations in major tournament incredibly enough). France were 1 nil down but turned the screw second half with Vieira bundling in a late FK. Spain had a midfield of Xavi, Xabi Alonso and Fabregas.
I don't know if I'm reading your post correctly but 1984 France v Spain is remembered for Arconada's mistake(and it was the final).

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I was watching highlights earlier on U.K tv and the comms certainly said first meeting between France and Spain at international tournament, perhaps they just mean world cup.

Edit: were in group stages of euro 96 aswell so I probably misheard.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
They played each other in Euro 2000 quarter-finals as well, with a Zidane masterclass and Raul missing a late penalty.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Yes Portugal were excellent at Euro 2000 - I've said many times that I think that team was better than any of their later ones with Ronaldo and / or under Scolari etc. They played very attractive football, and were a very well balanced and cohesive team.

The first goal against England by Figo received most of the attention, but I liked the second goal more, with 20 odd passes, an excellent cross by Rui Costa and then that superb diving header by Joao Pinto :drool: . Rui Costa (who I was a big fan of through picking Fiorentina as my favourite Serie A club in the late 90s) ran the show that night.
Yes that second goal was the best and Rui Costa and Figo played their best game together for the NT. The only thing that team was missing was a prime Paulo Sousa before injuries and Baía was well bellow his best post 96, when he struggled at Barcelona particularly under Van Gaal and started to have injuries too. Anyway that French team was even better than the 98 team. Oh and Keegan also was a bit naive on that first game, if it was France or Italy at the time starting to win 2:0 in 20 minutes or so the game would be over.

Champagne Football

Domenech was out of his depth. He wasn't fit to handle so many truly world class players. They most certainly underachiever with him.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
But if you want to see a France vs Portugal semifinals where for 75 minutes they completely subjected Portugal to a massacre, where Bento the Portuguese keeper had an outstanding performance, then you must see the 1984 game in Marseille.
Yeah, I've rewatched the whole tournament not so long ago, I'm a huge fan of that French side (like everyone who had ever seen them play, I'd imagine).