France - Euro 2021 Discussion

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I think France has the most balanced squad and XI in this Euro. They have players who offer playmaker, speed, flair, workhorse, physical, experiences, and also has a world class no 9. They can fit them all in their XI.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
He's put in numerous performances for us like the one he put in for France tonight. The problem with Pogba, and many more of our players, is that they lack consistency.

I'd also like to add that the confidence thing seems to be a bit of a myth. Based on what some have said, he was quite poor the other day against Wales but we'll all ignore that and pretend he's world-class every time he steps on the pitch for France.
I haven’t seen any, and I watch Pogba in a United shirt a fair bit. Don’t get me wrong here, I’m not saying he never plays well for United, obviously that’s not true.

I’m talking about opening up the full box of tricks, like he did tonight. That’s what I mean by confidence. I’m not saying that he never plays badly for France or he never plays well for United. It’s the ‘swagger’ I’m talking about.

I haven’t seen that often for MU, but you obviously watch him more than me so maybe you know better.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It's a short preparation for the Benzema-Mbappe-Griezmann front force, and it wasn't helped by Benzema's early departure today, but you can tell great players can find each other easily and there's already plenty to be excited about. No goals conceded is also a bright spot, although with the way the Wales game went, it's not a real indication of anything but they hardly looked threatened.

Jacob

I struggle to name any team with better midfield than them.
It's not the quality but the balance and dependence on certain individuals. Kante off form and they're screwed. Pogba's positional uncertainty as well.

Spain, Portugal, Italy, Germany maybe even Netherlands and Croatia argually have equal (if not better) balance and quality for some positions.

Having said that, I've predicted France to win.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
It's not the quality but the balance and dependence on certain individuals. Kante off form and they're screwed. Pogba's positional uncertainty as well.

Spain, Portugal, Italy, Germany maybe even Netherlands and Croatia argually have equal (if not better) balance and quality for some positions.

Having said that, I've predicted France to win.
Really? Because I thought they are all less balance than France in midfield.

For example,if we look at France:

Kante - best DM in the world
Pogba - has always been worldclass whenever he played for France in any of previous international tournaments. Can feed Mbappe well with his pass and works perfect with Kante.
Rabbiot - still one of top box to box player around
Tolisoo - decent squad player playing for Bayern

Portugal looks abit unbalanced in their DM positions, Italy lack of any worldclass midfielders, Spain is not the same as in the past, maybe Germany is the only country as strong/balance with Kimmich+Gundogan+Kroos+Havertz? But France does look better to me.

antk

One of the most interesting things about the current squad in those last two games is the Pogba - Benzema connection. It overrides the issue of opposing teams targeting Mbappé when Pogba gets on the ball as he now has two short range (Griezmann, Benzema) and long range (Mbappé, Benzema) options depending on player movement.

And if Pogba himself is marked out of the game, it opens up a lot of space for Griezmann to organize the offensive play on his own, which he is more than capable of doing.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
They just have by far the best squad. Their options are ridiculous.
Says a lot when you can bring on someone like Dembele as a sub. Say what you want about him, but if I was a defender, I wouldn’t want someone with his ridiculous pace and fresh legs running at me when I was gassed at the end of a game

romufc

Says a lot when you can bring on someone like Dembele as a sub. Say what you want about him, but if I was a defender, I wouldn’t want someone with his ridiculous pace and fresh legs running at me when I was gassed at the end of a game
I know some parts of the England squad do not match up to France but upfront England are just as good.

Bringing Rashford / Sterling on is more dangerous than Dembele.

That's just if Grealish and Sancho start, England still also have different options with Foden, Grealish, Rashford, Sancho, Sterling, Kane and DCL.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I know some parts of the England squad do not match up to France but upfront England are just as good.

Bringing Rashford / Sterling on is more dangerous than Dembele.

That's just if Grealish and Sancho start, England still also have different options with Foden, Grealish, Rashford, Sancho, Sterling, Kane and DCL.
I don’t think England are as good upfront. Mbappe, Griezmann and Benzema are better than all the England front players with the possible exception of Harry Kane.

romufc

I don’t think England are as good upfront. Mbappe, Griezmann and Benzema are better than all the England front players with the possible exception of Harry Kane.
Benzema is a very good striker, Kane is just as good if not better
Mbappe is better than Englands options
Griezman has been poor for a few seasons now, Rashford, Foden, Grealish, Sterling all better than him currently.

Idxomer

Griezman has been poor for a few seasons now, Rashford, Foden, Grealish, Sterling all better than him currently.
Arguably, he's had one poor year.

He's always been great for France, much more dependable than any of those names for England.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Griezmann is a different animal for the NT. Those you mention have either never really had good game(s) for England in a big tournament or haven't actually featured there at all. Golden boot in 2016; silver boot in 2018 (and MOTM in the final) + joint most assists.

romufc

Arguably, he's had one poor year.

He's always been great for France, much more dependable than any of those names for England.
I can re-use the same theory on Benzema...

Hasn't played for France in years so arguably Kane is more dependable because he has produced for England.

Also, its really the first time you will see Sancho, Rashford, Grealish, Foden in an england jersey together, so no one really knows how theyll be for England.

I am just saying England have alot of options as well if it needs chaning.

Idxomer

I can re-use the same theory on Benzema...

Hasn't played for France in years so arguably Kane is more dependable because he has produced for England.

Also, its really the first time you will see Sancho, Rashford, Grealish, Foden in an england jersey together, so no one really knows how theyll be for England.

I am just saying England have alot of options as well if it needs chaning.
I agree, I think in theory Grealish and Foden should be great individually for England.

I'm not sure about the forwards as a unit though. Even someone like Dembele has been with France for a long time and Benzema is basically the better version of Giroud.

romufc

I agree, I think in theory Grealish and Foden should be great individually for England.

I'm not sure about the forwards as a unit though. Even someone like Dembele has been with France for a long time and Benzema is basically the better version of Giroud.
I agree, the point I was making with the previous poster is England have good depth, 60 mins a fresh Rashford or Sterling will not diminish the quality on the pitch.

When it comes to first 11, France obviously are way ahead. Most of this team has played together for 3/4 years in comparison to England the manager doesn't even know his best 11.

I doubt the team that will start the Euros has played even 10 minutes of football together which is the worry as an England fan, it seems like a team put together and sent to play.

There has been no desire to try the players in any friendlies instead giving game time to players who are not in the squad.

This is the biggest reason France are such heavy favourites.

antk

Not to be confrontational, but Griezmann has more G+A than any of them this season (well obviously he's played a lot more than the likes of Grealish but still) and has arguably been very good since january.
He's definitely in a better form than either Rashford or Sterling right now too, as we've just seen against Wales and Bulgaria.

As a french and within our current setup, I wouldn't swap him for any of these four.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Absolutely false, none of those players are better than Griezmann. And ‘poor for a few seasons’?! He finished in the top 3 in the Ballon D’Or voting less than 3 years ago. Just because he’s struggled to fit in at Barca, it doesn’t make Jack Grealish (who was playing in the Championship 3 years ago) a better player.

romufc

Not to be confrontational, but Griezmann has more G+A than any of them this season (well obviously he's played a lot more than the likes of Grealish but still) and has arguably been very good since january.
He's definitely in a better form than either Rashford or Sterling right now too, as we've just seen against Wales and Bulgaria.

As a french and within our current setup, I wouldn't swap him for any of these four.
There is nothing confrontational in a good discussion and exchange of opinions.

Rashford this season has 21 G 15 A
Griezman has 20 G 12 A

He has had a good upturn in form however, I feel that one of Grealish, Sancho, Foden, Rashford can light up this tournament.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Yeh sure I rated Germany midfielder as one of best in tournament too. But I feel Kante+Pogba combination is better and more proven.
They have legs, above all. With Goretzka not fit for the game, and Kimmich shifted to RWB, we'll probably field the same Kroos/Gündogan combo that got completely overrun by Spain, again.
It's going to be ugly for us.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
First your articles are excellent.

Three things. Pavard pushes forward as much as Hernandez and strangely enough the team doesn't move to the flat 442 but plays a clearer flat 433, it will be interesting to see if it remains like that. Also Mbappé tends to be the one on the left while Griezmann drifts everywhere, Benzema and Mbappé have been a bit more disciplined.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
First your articles are excellent.

Three things. Pavard pushes forward as much as Hernandez and strangely enough the team doesn't move to the flat 442 but plays a clearer flat 433, it will be interesting to see if it remains like that. Also Mbappé tends to be the one on the left while Griezmann drifts everywhere, Benzema and Mbappé have been a bit more disciplined.
Have to agree with you - didn’t pen that piece myself - thoughts on Rabiot v Tolisso?

JPRouve

Scout
Have to agree with you - didn’t pen that piece myself - thoughts on Rabiot v Tolisso?
Tolisso has been surprisingly good with and without the ball. I would say that he is above Rabiot mainly because he seems to have a better understanding of Pogba and Kanté or even Rabiot himself. The midfield has been fluid with all members able to go forward one at a time which requires the other two to compensate and Tolisso has done that very well. Also Tolisso moves the ball a bit faster than Rabiot who likes to carry it.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Matchday and a huge drama already. It's been reported the team plans on taking the knee so now the fachosphère (far right voters) have taken twitter by storm to express their anger in all sort of ways. And saying there's a LOT of them would be an understatement.

Wouldn't be surprised if Le Graet cowers in fear like he knows how to and request the players to not take the knee.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Matchday and a huge drama already. It's been reported the team plans on taking the knee so now the fachosphère (far right voters) have taken twitter by storm to express their anger in all sort of ways. And saying there's a LOT of them would be an understatement.

Wouldn't be surprised if Le Graet cowers in fear like he knows how to and request the players to not take the knee.
I don't think the player will care one bit about that and will proceed ahead if that's their plan. I feel they're pretty isolated from all of the noise, and anything to upset an extremist group I'm always up for, whether it's left or right. It was ugly to see the England players getting booed for it, but they should go for it if that's what they want to do.

I do like that so much noise is made of our internal drama, didn't hear about this kneeling situation, but the Giroud-Mbappe conflict has been a hot topic. If it puts people off France as favorites, then it's all the better for us.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I don't think the player will care one bit about that and will proceed ahead if that's their plan. I feel they're pretty isolated from all of the noise, and anything to upset an extremist group I'm always up for, whether it's left or right. It was ugly to see the England players getting booed for it, but they should go for it if that's what they want to do.

I do like that so much noise is made of our internal drama, didn't hear about this kneeling situation, but the Giroud-Mbappe conflict has been a hot topic. If it puts people off France as favorites, then it's all the better for us.
Am I right on my felling that everytime France wins a couple of tournaments suddenly there's massive egos conflicts between the players? In Brasil you almost never hear this type of dramas, even Portugal on the last decade, there's always a tendency for this small problems to come associated with Nations like France or the Netherlands (Low Countries or whatever their designation this days).

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Rabiot is their weak link, I don't rate him at all. Matuidi was a good engine in that 2018 midfield.

JPRouve

Scout
It could be the toughest game of the tournament for both teams.

JPRouve

Scout
Am I right on my felling that everytime France wins a couple of tournaments suddenly there's massive egos conflicts between the players? In Brasil you almost never hear this type of dramas, even Portugal on the last decade, there's always a tendency for this small problems to come associated with Nations like France or the Netherlands (Low Countries or whatever their designation this days).
Currently there is no ego conflict and in the past it wasn't really linked to previous victories.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Currently there is no ego conflict and in the past it wasn't really linked to previous victories.
Ah well if you didn’t count the 2010 fiasco associated with a previous victory you’ve right. But still after 2006 things looked shit but maybe having someone like Domenech associated with the team might have something to do with that.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Ah well if you didn’t count the 2010 fiasco associated with a previous victory you’ve right. But still after 2006 things looked shit but maybe having someone like Domenech associated with the team might have something to do with that.
That's a Bingo!

KeanoMagicHat

France were very good there away from home against Germany, looked very accomplished. Pogba, Varane and Kante in particular. Ominous for the rest of the teams in the tournament.

JPRouve

Scout
I don't consider it because it was a different team, a weaker team that was terrible the moment Zidane, Makélélé and Thuram left. Also France were bad in 2008.