France : proposal to ban wearing of the veil for minors and the Burkini

Dan_F

Because they view the burkini as a muslim thing and don't want France to become a muslim country..
So allowing someone to wear the clothing of their choice to the beach = being a Muslim country. Got it.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The Chick fil A pain is real and I never understood the hype behind the Popeyes sandwich. I agree with your other statement. To be honest, I think the government can interfere in stopping an activity even if its religious but it has to be (in my opinion) proven that this impacts others in society. I actually didn't know the alcohol laws were religion based. My friend had a restaurant and alcohol licensing (and loopholes around it) are a confusing one and I always assumed it must have been some measure for more profits.
Alcohol licensing in this country is / has very often determined by religious ‘blue’ laws. There has been no other impact, save for location near schools (but that often also has religious reasoning behind it). Over time, taxation / lobbying from the sellers of the alcohol (most often retail) has caused the genesis of the restrictions to morph away from religion into other thoughts of cause.

It certainly wouldn’t be incorrect to infer that profit motives are / were the only causation as we moved away from the puritanical blue laws, but religious reasons have typically been the reasons for dry counties / dry days.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
So allowing someone to wear the clothing of their choice to the beach = being a Muslim country. Got it.
Might be on to something here... how many people in the 90's had their view of the US shaped by Baywatch?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It's a proposed article to a larger proposed law, Loi séparatisme. To make it simple or complicated, it's a proposition to a proposition.
Now I’m even more confused. A quick google search pulls up that the ‘Senate has passed the ban,’ but I have no idea the authenticity of the websites. ‘Fake news’ & spin is what I am seeing, then?

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Might be on to something here... how many people in the 90's had their view of the US shaped by Baywatch?
If you're trying to suggest that the beaches in the US don't have some sort of special time manipulation spell that makes people run in slow motion then no one is going to believe you.

Foxbatt

Both face covering pieces of clothing. At least those (the face covering ones, which in the Dutch discourse are called burqa’s) are banned in The Netherlands. You won’t get a fine or get arrested if you wear one though.

Still don’t think they should be banned just stating the argument that’s used that face covering pieces of clothes should be banned and thereby the burqa.
The correct word is Niqab. That is the full covering. The Hijab is the scarf type and does not cover the face.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Now I’m even more confused. A quick google search pulls up that the ‘Senate has passed the ban,’ but I have no idea the authenticity of the websites. ‘Fake news’ & spin is what I am seeing, then?
No it has not been passed into law.
If you want to put a similar equivalence to it , it's like the House of Lords in the Uk inserting an amendment to a proposed bill, the amendment has been passed to be discussed at committee stage and then goes to parliament and so on.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The senate decided to add it to a law proposal that will be up for a vote later this year by the national assembly. The national assembly has a different majority than the senate and are the ones with the last say.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
No it has not been passed into law.
If you want to put a similar equivalence to it , it's like the House of Lords in the Uk inserting an amendment to a proposed bill, the amendment has been passed to be discussed at committee stage and then goes to parliament and so on.
Gotcha. I am a Yank, but I can see the similarities in our parliamentary process.

These websites are stating the ban has actually passed. Being a Yank, I understand the unfortunate aspects of potentially fake news.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
RN isn't a single issue party and it wasn't built for the EU. I don't even know what to say after that type of claim.
I am sure you get my point :)

'Left' and 'Right' are outdated concepts.

The real political divide is between those who think the EU is a solution and those who view it as an issue.

JPRouve

Scout
I am sure you get my point :)

'Left' and 'Right' are outdated concepts.

The real political divide is between those who think the EU is a solution and those who view it as an issue.
No, I'm not getting your point and Le Pen seemingly doesn't either since she doesn't want to leave the EU since she realized that it wasn't a recipe for success. RN/FN are an ethnophobic and populist party, the first is a constant since 1974 and the former means that they change their tune on all subjects depending on what they think the electorate wants to hear. They are a far right party and it's extremely disingenious to pretend otherwise and act as if left and right are outdated concepts particularly when they are quite happy to harp on the left and the "islamo-leftism".

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
If you're trying to suggest that the beaches in the US don't have some sort of special time manipulation spell that makes people run in slow motion then no one is going to believe you.
:lol:

uhm...we don't? :nervous:

quick, hide the timeslowerthing(tm), they're on to us.

Paul the Wolf

Gotcha. I am a Yank, but I can see the similarities in our parliamentary process.

These websites are stating the ban has actually passed. Being a Yank, I understand the unfortunate aspects of potentially fake news.
I think fake news has overtaken real news - if you want a good laugh at a newpaper dedicated to fake news read the Daily Express in the UK. Problem is people actually believe it.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I think fake news has overtaken real news - if you want a good laugh at a newpaper dedicated to fake news read the Daily Express in the UK. Problem is people actually believe it.
The real problem is people going online, seeing something said on one website or in one social media post, then taking it as gospel. Critical analysis is a feature that has been eroded in the vast majority of minds all over the world.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
No, I'm not getting your point
Please educate me. Could you explain me the difference between PS, LR and LREM?
Le Pen seemingly doesn't either since she doesn't want to leave the EU since she realized that it wasn't a recipe for success. RN/FN are an ethnophobic and populist party, the first is a constant since 1974 and the former means that they change their tune on all subjects depending on what they think the electorate wants to hear.
I agree with your understanding of RN/FN and I know it is technically impossible for France to leave the EU because of the Euro currency.
That said, Brexit is the perfect illustration of the real political divide in Europe.
They are a far right party and it's extremely disingenious to pretend otherwise and act as if left and right are outdated concepts particularly when they are quite happy to harp on the left and the "islamo-leftism".
The difference between left and right is more a matter of lexifical field used in the political discourse.

Islamo-leftism is a concept originally promoted by the islamophobic Taguieff who wrote a book Liaisons dangereuses : islamo-nazisme, islamo-gauchisme.

These days, the concept is used by LREM/RN/LR to convey the following message ' If you vote for so-called left political parties such as PS/Insoumis, then you support islamic terrorism and rule of law'.

Last edited:

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
The correct word is Niqab. That is the full covering. The Hijab is the scarf type and does not cover the face.
They use that in the Netherlands too along with burqa but thanks for clearing it up for me.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I see your point. I think there are some laws on beer before a certain time and after two or three am? I wasn't sure if that was religious as well. Anyway, yes that is definitely one thing I didn't think of but it's quite minimal Id say. Love for alcohol comes from all angles around here.
Have an abortion. Until recently get married (if you're gay). Use a public toilet that matches your gender (if you're trans). Tons of limitations and societal expectations in the US based purely on religious belief.

JPRouve

Scout
Please educate me. Could you explain me the difference between PS, LR and LREM?

Sure, it is technically impossible for France to leave the EU because of the Euro currency. That said, Brexit is the perfect illustration of the real political divide in Europe.

The difference between left and right is more a matter of lexifical field used in the political discourse.

Islamo-leftism is a concept originally promoted by the islamophobic Taguieff who wrote a book Liaisons dangereuses : islamo-nazisme, islamo-gauchisme.

These days, the concept is used by LREM/RN/LR to convey the following message ' If you vote for left political parties such as PS/Insoumis, then you support islamic terrorism and rule of law'.
None of that makes sense when you initialy tried to reduce RN/FN to a single issue party. But on the topic that you brought in this thread the distinctions are social with the right being considerably more conservative and being highly influenced by catholicism, the right wasn't in favor of gay weddings or adoptions by gay couples, they have a version of secularism that has no issue with christianism being visible and actually used during their campaigns but if anyone defends the right of other religions to exist they lose their minds.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
None of that makes sense when you initialy tried to reduce RN/FN to a single issue party.
I have put the RN/FN aside as they have never ruled the country so we don't know what they are capable of.
But on the topic that you brought in this thread the distinctions are social with the right being considerably more conservative and being highly influenced by catholicism, the right wasn't in favor of gay weddings or adoptions by gay couples, they have a version of secularism that has no issue with christianism being visible and actually used during their campaigns but if anyone defends the right of other religions to exist they lose their minds.
You have written what I was expecting you to write. The only differences between the main political parties are mainly at the societal level.

BTW I don't vote for LREM/LR/PS/RN-FN.

Discussion closed :)

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I have put the RN/FN aside as they have never ruled the country so we don't know what they are capable of.

You have written what I was expecting you to write. The only differences between the main political parties are mainly at the societal level.

Awesome, now we can get to the most important topics: Where to buy beer and fried chicken sandwiches on a Sunday. :)

Seriously, I love reading these threads as it gives me a view into why ya'll love the US Politics threads so much.

JPRouve

Scout

You realize that it's a massive difference that affects people's lives on a daily basis? I ask because you suggested that they were the same and now admits that they are not.

Paul the Wolf

You vote for "La République , c'est moi!" Mélenchon - nooooo! :nono::)

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
I think we are on the same page. Basically just treat people with respect (except for college Republicans, cuz feck those guys....I'm kidding...... mostly)

It also appears that FSU and UA (the shitty Alabama school, not to be confused with UAB or AU) were/are very similar.
It's hard to wrap my head around you being a SC fan... as the majority of their student body feels like this to me. The University of Spoiled Children moniker really fits. Or at least it did many years ago, haven't set foot on too many college campuses lately.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
It's hard to wrap my head around you being a SC fan... as the majority of their student body feels like this to me. The University of Spoiled Children moniker really fits. Or at least it did many years ago, haven't set foot on too many college campuses lately.
Not sure why my parents were SC fans as they did not go there, but that's where we got the allegiance from. I didn't attend but my sister did. She would concur with your assessment as she was there on academic scholarships and drove her beat up old Corolla. Didn't quite fit in with he rest of the cars in the lot.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
You realize that it's a massive difference that affects people's lives on a daily basis? I ask because you suggested that they were the same and now admits that they are not.
Sure, the offering differs in terms of 'living together', but for the rest I tend to see a one-track thinking.

You vote for "La République , c'est moi!" Mélenchon - nooooo! :nono::)
Ahahah I didn't vote for him in 2012 but somebody who didn't get more than 1% of the votes :wenger:

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Funny, I found Lisbon incredibly affordable, compared to Dublin. But that sounds lovely.
Stuff like utilities, transportation, groceries, etc in general yeah, but rents are insane because of tourism. A 2 division flat is around 1000 euros per month. I don't even earn that.

Charlie Foley

Stuff like utilities, transportation, groceries, etc in general yeah, but rents are insane because of tourism. A 2 division flat is around 1000 euros per month. I don't even earn that.
I guess that's the issue with a capital city, yeah. Though I can't imagine how far 1000euro would get you in Dublin these days. I was paying roughly $800 for a room in a house in Philly, and then my apartment where I live now (before we bought a house) was $1,500. Rent generally is sinfully high. I'll stop now as we're off topic. Seems like you have a good set up at least!

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Awesome, now we can get to the most important topics: Where to buy beer and fried chicken sandwiches on a Sunday. :)

Seriously, I love reading these threads as it gives me a view into why ya'll love the US Politics threads so much.
Maybe should we have a France Politics? :)
Our British friends will be happy to mock us!
If you have any queries, let us know!

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Seems like France is making it harder to be a Muslim living in France

Zlatattack

If you want to appear as a Muslim in France, then you are not welcome. This is the message the French are sending. They are trying to create conditions where Muslims of France either leave their Islamic identities, or they leave France.

Smores

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
France votes to ban Muslim women from playing sports with headscarves

France moves closer to barring Muslim women from playing sports in a major setback for human rights in the country

https://www.trtworld.com/magazine/f...rom-playing-sports-with-headscarves-53889/amp
But why?

Edit: why the ban not why is it a setback. With the full on veil you can atleast pretend it's about being unrecognizable, with a headscarf surely you have to admit you just dislike Muslims?

I don't buy the wahhh we are so sad for the poor oppressed women who are coerced by their culture to wear the scarf. Or should we ban lip fillers because more and more young women are being coerced by influencers to undergo surgery to look like Dory.

RedDevil@84

JPRouve

Scout
France votes to ban Muslim women from playing sports with headscarves

France moves closer to barring Muslim women from playing sports in a major setback for human rights in the country

https://www.trtworld.com/magazine/f...rom-playing-sports-with-headscarves-53889/amp
I missed this post. France didn't vote for a thing, it's the same story than with the topic of this thread. The Senate agreed with itself to a law proposal which was then submitted to a mixed commission, the National Assembly and the government are against it. Later in a mixed commission the proposal was rejected, as expected.

And by the way, the Senate failed. The law has been voted without their proposals.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
French state schools turn away dozens of girls wearing Muslim abaya dress

The French education minister has said that nearly 300 pupils arrived at school on Monday wearing the abaya, the long Muslim robe which was banned in schools last week.
Most of the girls agreed to change into other clothes.
According to official figures, 298 girls - mainly aged 15 or more - turned up at school in the banned garment.
Under instructions laid down by the ministry, there followed in each case a period of dialogue with school staff.
Most girls then agreed to dress differently and were able to start classes.
However, 67 girls refused to comply and were sent home.
A further period of dialogue with their families will now ensue. If that fails, they will be excluded.
Set against the 12 million school boys and girls who started term on Monday, the government believes the figures show that its ban has been broadly accepted.
However, a legal challenge by a group representing some Muslims goes before the courts later today.
At the end of August, the education minister announced that pupils would be banned from wearing the loose-fitting full-length robes worn by some Muslim women in France's state-run schools at the start of the new school year on 4 September.

French state schools turn away dozens of girls wearing Muslim abaya dress - BBC News

France is a deeply Islamaphobic country.

Paul the Wolf

French state schools turn away dozens of girls wearing Muslim abaya dress

The French education minister has said that nearly 300 pupils arrived at school on Monday wearing the abaya, the long Muslim robe which was banned in schools last week.
Most of the girls agreed to change into other clothes.
According to official figures, 298 girls - mainly aged 15 or more - turned up at school in the banned garment.
Under instructions laid down by the ministry, there followed in each case a period of dialogue with school staff.
Most girls then agreed to dress differently and were able to start classes.
However, 67 girls refused to comply and were sent home.
A further period of dialogue with their families will now ensue. If that fails, they will be excluded.
Set against the 12 million school boys and girls who started term on Monday, the government believes the figures show that its ban has been broadly accepted.
However, a legal challenge by a group representing some Muslims goes before the courts later today.
At the end of August, the education minister announced that pupils would be banned from wearing the loose-fitting full-length robes worn by some Muslim women in France's state-run schools at the start of the new school year on 4 September.

French state schools turn away dozens of girls wearing Muslim abaya dress - BBC News

France is a deeply Islamaphobic country.
Does banning Christian crosses as well make it Islamophobic.

No religion in schools.