France's Presidential elections April 2022

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Considering my question was open ended i probably should have seen those responses coming. I was wondering more to the left like New Zealand it seems judging by the other responses.
Don't think everyone is happy ever. If Mélenchon had reached the second round in France he would have lost by more than Le Pen, he's a complete fraud as well. Politics today suffers from populists or protestors who say a lot but actually if they ever got to power would be hopeless and are full of empty rhetoric.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Good shout.
There’s bound to be one more at least but it’s telling that they are few and far between.
Not sure if it's on the same scale as new zealand, but after all the covid crisis, the portuguese PM won with an absolute majority and our president won in the first round with 60%. I don't remember such a stable leadership all around in Portugal. We had leaders previously with great results, but it was the usual "lesser of two evils", the current guys seem to be well liked.

PoTMS

This feels like the first election that's gone right in yonks.

Pintu

This is how people voted compared to the first round. Macron got a landslide thanks to the far left voters.

Siorac

How could any sane (far) left person vote Le Pen?
Surely it isn't that surprising? She focused on issues like the cost of living, something that would surely resonate with people who don't give much of a feck about the EU or NATO - and if they aren't immigrants themselves, her plans on that front aren't particularly relevant for them either.

Pintu

How could any sane (far) left person vote Le Pen?
You have to see it more as an "anything but Macron vote". I think she's managed to portray herself as "the people/workers' candidate" and keep the racism hidden for most of the campaign. And Macron's plans to reform the pension system clearly played a role there. Maybe some anti-system voters as well, thinking electing her is the quickest way to get the "revolution".

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Surely it isn't that surprising? She focused on issues like the cost of living, something that would surely resonate with people who don't give much of a feck about the EU or NATO - and if they aren't immigrants themselves, her plans on that front aren't particularly relevant for them either.
She didn't. She focused on anything but Macron, immigration and security. Everything else was an afterthought, not explained and barely mentioned.

The reason it's not surprising is that a large amount of french are dimwits.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
This is how people voted compared to the first round. Macron got a landslide thanks to the far left voters.

This is exactly the pragmatism we need in the UK right now.

Anyone that has interacted with me in the CE forums will know I’m more than a little to the left of centre and completely underwhelmed by Starmer but right now the most important thing is for us to shift this fascist, corrupt government.

The Overton window isn’t going to shift past the left of centre in one window, if we are serious about it happening it Is going to happen one election at a time and right now all the idealism on the left is achieving is moving the window further right.

Paul the Wolf

She didn't. She focused on anything but Macron, immigration and security. Everything else was an afterthought, not explained and barely mentioned.

She was going to incentivise employers to increase their employees salaries by ten per cent. :) . Nothing she said made any sense, people don't look into detail.

Abizzz

That's true about every country on earth.

The worthy politicians will need to find ways to connect to the dimwits in the future. Otherwise the dimwits will just elect one of their own...

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
You have to see it more as an "anything but Macron vote". I think she's managed to portray herself as "the people/workers' candidate" and keep the racism hidden for most of the campaign. And Macron's plans to reform the pension system clearly played a role there. Maybe some anti-system voters as well, thinking electing her is the quickest way to get the "revolution".
Yeah. If you advocate tactical voting and argue that people should vote Macron regardless of support for him to stop Le Pen, you also have to accept that a group of people may have voted for the non-Macron candidate regardless of support for more odious aspects of Le Pen.

Last edited:

Siorac

I stand corrected then. I don't speak French so I mostly read it in English and Hungarian papers that she focused on cost of living issues.

A large amount of people everywhere are dimwits. I know I am, even if I'm not the Le Pen-voting type.

SirAF

Ageist
This is exactly the pragmatism we need in the UK right now.

Anyone that has interacted with me in the CE forums will know I’m more than a little to the left of centre and completely underwhelmed by Starmer but right now the most important thing is for us to shift this fascist, corrupt government.

The Overton window isn’t going to shift past the left of centre in one window, if we are serious about it happening it Is going to happen one election at a time and right now all the idealism on the left is achieving is moving the window further right.
Bang on. This goes for the US as well - are Biden/Harris/Whoever not progressive enough? Tough shit, just vote D and keep the fascists out of power, it’s not complicated.

Last edited:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Résultat de Macron et de Le Pen :

• Emmanuel Macron : 58.54%
  • Marine Le Pen : 41.46%
  • Vote blanc : 6.35%
  • Vote nul : 2.25%
  • Abstention : 28.01%
Only 1.46% away from my prediction :)
Much more accurate than the option polls.
Each time I see Macron on TV, his teeth look whiter.
And does he have a toupe.
Certainly looks like it.

On a more serious note, what do you expect he is going to do to, as he has vowed, to unite France. Not just with the far right, but also the far left.

Paul the Wolf

Much more accurate than the option polls.
Each time I see Macron on TV, his teeth look whiter.
And does he have a toupe.
Certainly looks like it.

On a more serious note, what do you expect he is going to do to, as he has vowed, to unite France. Not just with the far right, but also the far left.
I was thinking the same about the toupé the other day - distinct possibility.

He's a centrist so he has to try to please some of each side. As Him, Le Pen and Mélenchon all hate each other it's not going to be easy. At least he's intelligent ,unlike a lot of politicians nowadays so we'll see. He's definitely my preferred politician out of all of them since I've lived here.

He'd have no chance in the UK though; Labour hate the Tories, Tories hate Labour and they both hate everyone else especially centrists.

Really don't rate Mélenchon or Le Pen at all as politicians, never mind their policies or lack of (coherent ones).

Just hope he wins sufficient seats in the parliamentary votes in June so the other two numpties don't block France's progress.

Pintu

Just hope he wins sufficient seats in the parliamentary votes in June so the other two numpties don't block France's progress.
According to this poll he will get the majority. Currently 348 seats (289 needed).They may lose or win 20 seats, but the group will still be large enough.

EC is Macron’s group. It’s his own party LREM (very big one in the parliament) plus some small parties, I’m not sure how loyal they are.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I was thinking the same about the toupé the other day - distinct possibility.

He's a centrist so he has to try to please some of each side. As Him, Le Pen and Mélenchon all hate each other it's not going to be easy. At least he's intelligent ,unlike a lot of politicians nowadays so we'll see. He's definitely my preferred politician out of all of them since I've lived here.

He'd have no chance in the UK though; Labour hate the Tories, Tories hate Labour and they both hate everyone else especially centrists.

Really don't rate Mélenchon or Le Pen at all as politicians, never mind their policies or lack of (coherent ones).

Interesting, thank you.
Good that he is seen as intelligent, although the criticism is that he is aloof. He is also now described as the lead politician in the EU.
That being the case, he certainly does have a great deal of responsibility on his shoulders.

Paul the Wolf

Interesting, thank you.
Good that he is seen as intelligent, although the criticism is that he is aloof. He is also now described as the lead politician in the EU.
That being the case, he certainly does have a great deal of responsibility on his shoulders.
He tried his best not to seem arrogant in the TV debate and he didn't humiliate Le Pen like he could have done but when anyone is talking to someone of much lower intelligence it's inevitable they look somewhat arrogant. Especially talking about Le Pen's policies which collapse like a house of cards under any scrutiny. There were several moments when he could have gone in for the kill but held back.

You can see how weak Le Pen really is, her campaign centred around the North of France where she has the majority of her support. She rarely strays into "enemy" territory to try to gain more support because even under questioning from a voter in the street she'll run away or have one of her goons deal with them. She has a planned speech, any deviation and she's lost because there's no substance and she's not clever enough to argue coherently.