Francesco Totti

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
No he was not. Speak to people from Rome, and they go weak at the knees. Yes, a top player, but it's the single club thing more than anything else. Similar to Raul at Madrid and much respect to the both of them, super players... But you telling me Totti was better than, say... Zidane? Rivaldo? And yes. Was he better than Scholes, Gerrard... No way.

Re Italy.. Paulo Maldini and Franco Baresi were far more a player than Totti ever could wish to be.

And I would argue that Del Piero was marginally better. Christian Vieri too.
2002-04 was easily better than them. He had a short peak but was still an amazing player.

Jeffthered

2002-04 was easily better than them. He had a short peak but was still an amazing player.
Francesco Totti was 'easily' better than Zinedine Zidane between 2002 and 2004.....

Do you genuinely think this? And I forgot about Ronaldhino.... I would include Michael Ballack in names ahead of him. Easily.

This is the Zidane who hits that ridiculous volley to win the CL at Hampden Park....

GifLord

Francesco Totti was 'easily' better than Zinedine Zidane between 2002 and 2004.....

Do you genuinely think this? And I forgot about Ronaldhino.... I would include Michael Ballack in names ahead of him. Easily.

This is the Zidane who hits that ridiculous volley to win the CL at Hampden Park....
Zidane scored that goal in 2002
I said between 2002-04
Ronaldinho became really good after 2004

Jeffthered

I said between 2002-04
You don't recall Ronaldhino at 2002 WC... ?

England do. Ashley Cole certainly does.

Ballack was awesome. Awesome.

Zidane was still quality at this time....

GifLord

You don't recall Ronaldhino at 2002 WC... ?

England do. Ashley Cole certainly does.

Ballack was awesome. Awesome.

Zidane was still quality at this time....
Have you even watched football back then?
Ronaldinho was so inconsistent in his early days.
In 2004-2005 season is when the whole world was starting to take notice that he might be one of the world's best
https://www.xtratime.org/forum/156-world-football/127045-totti-vs-zidane.html
Here's a Totti v Zidane thread from 2004

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Italian football really has produced some fantastic no.10s in the last 30 years. Baggio, Zola, Del Piero, Totti. Their ilk will be missed. Now it’s all pace, pace, pace.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I said between 2002-04
Ummmm so ronaldiniho won FIFA world player of the year in 2004... And that award was given out based on performances in the previous calender year.
So basically according to all the managers and captains of international teams the best player in the world between Jan 2003 and december 2003 was Ronnie. . Which comes after being in the best xi in the 2002 world cup... So basically it's bullshit to say he only became really good after 2004... (He retained the award in 2005...)

GifLord

Ummmm so ronaldiniho won FIFA world player of the year in 2004... And that award was given out based on performances in the previous calender year.
So basically according to all the managers and captains of international teams the best player in the world between Jan 2003 and december 2003 was Ronnie. . Which comes after being in the best xi in the 2002 world cup... So basically it's bullshit to say he only became really good after 2004... (He retained the award in 2005...)
But did it really count for the whole year? In Season 2003-04 he scored 22 goals in total for barca - 15 in la liga, 3 in CdR and 4 in uefa cup
Barca finished second that year in La Liga and got knocked out by Celtic in 1/8.
First half of the 2004/05 season is what got him the WPOTY award
His first season at barca he was inconsistent as feck despite scoring 22 goals.
His second season was the season we got to see the real Ronaldinho

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
If you can’t appreciate Totti you can’t aprectiate football. You are probably the same people that thought Berbatov was shit, never thought Hagi was that good and probably never heard of Stoichkov, they are the players who I love. They are what football was all about Imo.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Totti’s career can be split into two parts, before ankle injury (1993-2005) and after injury (2006-2017). He clearly was never the same player after, he transitioned from a world class 10 into a good forward.

Totti circa 2000-2004 was as good as any other player on the planet. He carried Roma to a league title in 2001, and came within only 1 point of Juventus in 2002. Then he carried a relatively poor Roma side to another title challenge in 2004. This was around the time when Serie A was arguably the best league in the world.

The one big criticism of Totti was his inconsistent international career. He was great at Euro 2000, but flopped at the 2002 World Cup and 2004 Euros. Italy at the time was one of the best national teams on the planet, so he didn’t suffer the same disadvantage as he did when playing for Roma.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Totti gets overrated. Same thing goes for Del Piero... both suffered big injuries but even in their prime whilst undoubtedly world class and more consistent in club football than many of their peers - in international football their legacies aren’t great.

Even by simple eye test I don’t rate them higher than Zidane or Dinho.

Del Piero was more effective than Totti though in CL but if Totti had played for a bigger club this perception might have changed. I actually preferred the older version of Totti... his technique became more and more consistent.. joy to watch.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Totti circa 2000-2004 was as good as any other player on the planet. He carried Roma to a league title in 2001, and came within only 1 point of Juventus in 2002. Then he carried a relatively poor Roma side to another title challenge in 2004. This was around the time when Serie A was arguably the best league in the world.

The one big criticism of Totti was his inconsistent international career. He was great at Euro 2000, but flopped at the 2002 World Cup and 2004 Euros. Italy at the time was one of the best national teams on the planet, so he didn’t suffer the same disadvantage as he did when playing for Roma.
Carried a relatively poor team my ass. I would've taken that Roma side over the Invincibles. They were fecking great. Just unlucky they were competing with what was by far the best team in the world(milan)

And he didn't really flop in 2002 either. FIFA wanted us out and they got us out. Failed to do so in the group stage, so they sent the most hilariously and obviously corrupt ref in history* to do the job in the round of 16.

*promptly reduced to second most hilariously and obviously corrupt ref in history after the QF. That whole world cup was a joke :lol:

Even by simple eye test I don’t rate them higher than Zidane or Dinho.
Neither should you. They weren't as good as those two, though comparing them at their best, it's close. Del Piero at his best was nearly as good as Ronaldo. Totti was right up there with Zidane and Dinho.

Last edited:

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
If we are going to judge Italian players solely by how they performed for the national team, then I rate Pirlo higher than both Totti and Del Piero.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Carried a relatively poor team my ass. I would've taken that Roma side over the Invincibles. They were fecking great. Just unlucky they were competing with what was by far the best team in the world(milan)
Poor relative to their rivals. Roma did not have as much talent as those Milan or Juve sides.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Poor relative to their rivals. Roma did not have as much talent as those Milan or Juve sides.
They had more talent than juventus in 00/01 i think, and yeah, they were obviously worse than milan, but they still managed to push them nearly to the wire. They were close

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Should have got two men in the wall, the second lad would probably have been decapitated mind you.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Absolute beast of a player, another example of a player looking after themselves and adapting their game as they got older in order to prolong their career.

ashfritz

Supports
Liverpool
Actually wept during his final game for Roma and I'm not even a Roma fan. The definition of a flawed genius with his temper as well, far more entertaining than todays hyper efficient robots.

Arios

Supports
Juventus
Did any other player had a zone of the field named after him? (Del Piero)
The real shame is ACL in 1998 never the same
Another shame was Summer ballon d'or instead of him