Frank Lampard | Former Chelsea manager

mu4c_20le

:lol: Are we living in trump world?

After Kevin Kilbane, Rachel Brown-Finnis, Waddle, Lescott all predicted Chelsea to finish top 4 and none of them had ManUtd in top 4. Somehow this pic is cut till Kilbane.

Here is the full predicition.

6 from BBC predicted Chelsea in top 4, 7 For ManUtd. Big difference and so much for "no one predicted us to finish in top 4"

This is from Sky
Charlie Nicolos​
City​
Liverpool​
Arsenal​
Spurs​
Matt Le tissier​
City​
Liverpool​
Spurs​
Chelsea​
Phil Thomson​
Liverpool​
City​
Spurs​
Chelsea​
https://www.skysports.com/football/...l-win-who-will-go-down-who-will-be-top-scorer

So BBC+Sky, 8 pundits predicted Chelsea to finish in top 4 and 7 for Manutd.

Maybe there are few more predictions, should search for that.
:lol: thats brilliant to be fair. Very subtle, @Dancfc

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

After Kevin Kilbane, Rachel Brown-Finnis, Waddle, Lescott all predicted Chelsea to finish top 4 and none of them had ManUtd in top 4. Somehow this pic is cut till Kilbane.

6 from BBC predicted Chelsea in top 4, 7 For ManUtd. Big difference and so much for "no one predicted us to finish in top 4"

This is from Sky
Charlie Nicolos​
City​
Liverpool​
Arsenal​
Spurs​
Matt Le tissier​
City​
Liverpool​
Spurs​
Chelsea​
Phil Thomson​
Liverpool​
City​
Spurs​
Chelsea​
https://www.skysports.com/football/...l-win-who-will-go-down-who-will-be-top-scorer

Christ that's genuinely pathetic from @Dancfc :lol:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

This is from Sky
Charlie Nicolos​
City​
Liverpool​
Arsenal​
Spurs​
Matt Le tissier​
City​
Liverpool​
Spurs​
Chelsea​
Phil Thomson​
Liverpool​
City​
Spurs​
Chelsea​

Good god! How many predicted Liverpool/City/Arse and Spurs?

What on earth were they basing that on? They just followed each other by the looks of it

youngrell

He has done well as a new manager. Best manager ever? No, nobody is saying that. "Done well" is a perfectly reasonable assessment.

Take the tin foil hat off, there's no agenda. You notice more negative stuff about Ole because you consume far more media about Man United.
It is a perfectly reasonable assessment, I agree. It's just that the press has been so persistent in bigging him up at the same time as slaughtering Ole that someone like my mrs has even caught wind of it.

There is no tin foil hat, Ole has been literally a laughing stock for nearly the whole season for opponent fans (and the brunt of blind fury from some United fans), all the while Lampard has got away scot-free despite losing 3 times to Ole and finishing behind him in the league, despite starting off from a stronger position at the start.

Believe me, I am not playing down Lampard's achievements or record one bit, he's done fine, it just leaves a bitter taste when Ole gets dogs abuse at the same time as Frank gets universal praise. It's not Frank's fault, of course.

Robbie Boy

This is from Sky
Charlie Nicolos​
City​
Liverpool​
Arsenal​
Spurs​
Matt Le tissier​
City​
Liverpool​
Spurs​
Chelsea​
Phil Thomson​
Liverpool​
City​
Spurs​
Chelsea​

Oh man, cringe @Dancfc.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
There is no tin foil hat, Ole has been literally a laughing stock for nearly the whole season for opponent fans (and the brunt of blind fury from some United fans), all the while Lampard has got away scot-free despite losing 3 times to Ole and finishing behind him in the league, despite starting off from a stronger position at the start.
You're Man United, always going to be under more scrutiny than Chelsea. You get more praise when you're good, more criticism when you're bad and more ridiculous and over the top bollocks (good and bad) at all times.

Almost every pundit on TV being either ex-Man United or ex-Liverpool does not really help getting a reasonable view of things.

youngrell

You're Man United, always going to be under more scrutiny than Chelsea. You get more praise when you're good, more criticism when you're bad and more ridiculous and over the top bollocks (good and bad) at all times.

Almost every pundit on TV being either ex-Man United or ex-Liverpool does not really help getting a reasonable view of things.
True.

I also think there may be a slight favouring of English over foreign managers, whether that is a conscious thing or not, possibly helped in this particular situation by many of the pundits having played with Lampard and respecting him as a player.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

Most of the TV analysts are also ex-England teammates of Lampard and the Redknapps are his family. So criticism of Lampard would be harder to come by, not that his performance this season deserved any but those same analysts are more eager to nitpick Ole.

The United defence for example took far more sting than Chelsea's despite being miles better over the season.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

I haven’t been following Chelsea that closely. Have they had a long run of poor performances like we did at the end of last season, beginning of this one? If you’ve just been dropping points here and there and never got in the weeds for a long time like United did under Ole, then it’s easier to fly below the radar.

Re the pundits, Ole more likely to get the benefit of the doubt from ex-United players but Lampard gets a free ride from England former team-mates, which is probably a bigger help overall. Ditto the press, who are desperate to see the next great British football manager.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I haven’t been following Chelsea that closely. Have they had a long run of poor performances like we did at the end of last season, beginning of this one? If you’ve just been dropping points here and there and never got in the weeds for a long time like United did under Ole, then it’s easier to fly below the radar.

Re the pundits, Ole more likely to get the benefit of the doubt from ex-United players but Lampard gets a free ride from England former team-mates, which is probably a bigger help overall. Ditto the press, who are desperate to see the next great British football manager.
They did, from November international break to Feb, 14 games - 15 points. Also Covid break came at right time for them.
RTeamPWDLGFGAGDPts
1Liverpool1414003352842
2Manchester City1382330161426
3Tottenham148242517826
4Leicester147342518724
5Southampton147252119223
6Manchester United146442217522
7Everton146442120122
8Sheffield United146441515022
9Wolverhampton Wanderers145541917220
10Burnley146171321-819
11Arsenal143832017317
12Watford144461617-116
13Newcastle United144461322-916
14Chelsea144371619-315
15Crystal Palace143651316-315
16Aston Villa144281730-1314
17Brighton142661621-512
18West Ham133281623-711
19Norwich142571320-711
20Bournemouth1431101125-1410

This was their form from Nov international break to Covid break
RTeamPWDLGFGAGDPts
1Liverpool17160138112748
2Manchester City16102433181532
3Manchester United1785428181029
4Leicester178362920927
5Tottenham178362923627
6Wolverhampton Wanderers177642519627
7Southampton178272423126
8Sheffield United167541716126
9Crystal Palace176651616024
10Burnley177371722-524
11Arsenal165832419523
12Everton176562428-423
13Chelsea176472422222
14Newcastle United175571423-920
15Watford175481921-219
16Brighton172871723-614
17West Ham1742112130-914
18Norwich173591424-1014
19Aston Villa1642101736-1914
20Bournemouth1732121432-1811

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

The Christmas period was the toughest period we experienced.

Ludens the Red

Maybe if you had more English players down the years you’d have more pundits on the tele.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
This is a good example of why there can be some push back against even sometimes minor Lampard praise on this forum. Too many times this season I've noticed a good thing Lampard has done, big or small, used, by other United fans, as a stick to knock Ole with.
Yep totally unnecessary comparison that'll be picked up by the usual Chelsea WUMing contingent, passing off their wind up posts as sort of push back at a claim no Chelsea fan has made on here.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yep totally unnecessary comparison that'll be picked up by the usual Chelsea WUMing contingent, passing off their wind up posts as sort of push back at a claim no Chelsea fan has made on here.
I mean I don't mean to say there are no Chelsea fans who provoke a reaction on here with nonsensical takes. Top 4 race thread yesterday was an utter mess, for example, but some United fans using Lampard to have a pop at Ole doesn't exactly help either.

TheLord

Lampard and the board's plan seems to be
Ziyech (35m) + Werner (50m) + Havertz (75m) = 160m. And then fill up other other deficiencies with relatively cheap acquisitions.

Goalkeeper: Onana from Leverkusen (25m)
Left-back: Cucurella from Getafe (25m)

That is a mere 100m net spend on five amazing transfers if the 29-year-old Hazard transfer earning is factored in. I don't know if all those five rumoured deals will go through, but if they do, it will be one of the smartest business windows in recent memory.

If they could get a CB like VVD for ~80m (not that I can think of anyone available right now), it will be a complete squad overhaul with a net spending of a mere 180m to challenge for the title.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
If they could get a CB like VVD for ~80m (not that I can think of anyone available right now), it will be a complete squad overhaul with a net spending of a mere 180m to challenge for the title.
Highly questionable they all click from the beginning, especially considering the shortened off-season with the way things are right now. Not every transfer will be bang on the money either, they're all players ranging from very good to brilliant young talent, but that's no guarantee that they'll succeed in the Premier League. They also have a few proven PL players like Pedro, Giroud and Willian leaving if I'm not mistaken. Next season will be too early to challenge for the title but agreed it's a very good (and needed) squad overhaul.

Kudos to Lampard, got them into the CL places with a transfer ban hanging over his head, with potentially the FA Cup to show for it as well. Highly likeable guy and bright guy imo, just a shame he's associated with Chelsea.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Lampard and the board's plan seems to be
Ziyech (35m) + Werner (50m) + Havertz (75m) = 160m. And then fill up other other deficiencies with relatively cheap acquisitions.

Goalkeeper: Onana from Leverkusen (25m)
Left-back: Cucurella from Getafe (25m)

That is a mere 100m net spend on five amazing transfers if the 29-year-old Hazard transfer earning is factored in. I don't know if all those five rumoured deals will go through, but if they do, it will be one of the smartest business windows in recent memory.

If you're factoring in Hazard transfer, then you need to also factor in Kovacic and Pulisic transfers as well. And considering they still would be atleast 2 players short of mounting a serious title challenge, don't think people will say that they rebuilt their team shrewdly.

AshRK

This is a good example of why there can be some push back against even sometimes minor Lampard praise on this forum. Too many times this season I've noticed a good thing Lampard has done, big or small, used, by other United fans, as a stick to knock Ole with.
Thank you for pointing this out. Both Lampard and Ole have done a good job for their first full season at their respective club. I don't get the digs that fans give to either of them.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Why is he being mentioned as possible Manager of the year? :lol:

They conceded 54 goals in the PL this season, the same as Brighton. 10 teams had less conceded for fecks sake. He's done ok, nothing more.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
It was being discussed yesterday on fivelive after the matches ended, I was just listening to it earlier while having breakfast.
I mean, those types of shows are literally professionally trolling to get people to ring in and disagree.

As for Manager of the season, who do you think? Klopp? WIlder? Can't really think of anyone else who has done hugely much better than as expected.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, defensively Chelsea are a shambles. For me, Chelsea need a minimum of 1 x GK (maybe even two if Kepa goes as Willy is really a GK3 these days), 1 x LB (who can play in a back 4 system) and 1/2 x CB's.

That consequently means Chelsea need 3-4 more players on top of Harvetz and that is before you get to Kante and his injury record this season. If he doesn't recover, Chelsea may also need a DMF as they've not got much defensive resistance in CM with out Kante.

Personally, I am not sure where they can get all those players. Further Lampard needs to improve tactics when out of possession.

Yeah, for sure Kepa is Chelsea's biggest problem by a mile. If Chelsea sign just a half decent GK then that should provide a minimum of about 9 points. However, to really kick on, Chelsea will need the players I have outlined above and Lampard to adapt his tactics.
Weren't you the one constantly going on about how we were guaranteed to lose to Wolves?

Open Goal

Supports
Chelsea

This is from Sky
Charlie Nicolos​
City​
Liverpool​
Arsenal​
Spurs​
Matt Le tissier​
City​
Liverpool​
Spurs​
Chelsea​
Phil Thomson​
Liverpool​
City​
Spurs​
Chelsea​

That's pathetic tbh :lol:

Trump like propaganda at it's finest :houllier:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I mean, those types of shows are literally professionally trolling to get people to ring in and disagree.

As for Manager of the season, who do you think? Klopp? WIlder? Can't really think of anyone else who has done hugely much better than as expected.
It's got to be Klopp with Wilder coming 2nd. Nobody else really requires debating frankly, they've all had bad spells of form.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Who said that? Quote them please!
I just love how this is happening on Lampards watch and a transfer ban. Klopp will get it but if Chelsea get CL football, Lampard would be a shout for manager of the season. I just think he is doing a great job under very difficult circumstances in his first season in the premier league. The club are definitely backing him in the transfer window with Werner and Ziyech.
We'll see how Liverpool come out of the blocks next season. Back to back is difficult, especially if you consider they went hell for leather last season only to finish second. Can they turn it on like that for 3 seasons in a row? Realistically I don't think Chelsea can close the gap on Liverpool but they could reduce the gap substantially if they strengthen the defense in the transfer window. Utd will strengthen but I have a strange feeling City could come good because they won't have CL football.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Very true. And the ones who aren't tend to be raging idiots to boot.

The only studio pundit I've seen/heard since the re-start (I have gotten into the - bad - habit of watching the half-time studio crap again) that hasn't annoyed the shite out of me is that woman, whatsherface. An actually reasonable person making points about what happens on the pitch without any hyperbole or partisan nonsense.

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
1. For all the crap that Sarri got from the press, fan base and punditry. Chelsea still finished 4th and won the Europa league. Lampard was not inheriting a poor squad. He infact inherited a squad that had been playing with the hand brake on. Yet it was still to be strengthened by a talented loan at of players. Plus permanent additions of Kovacic and Pulisic.

2. It is true Hazard carried Chelsea the previous season. Yet still it had a lot to do with how Sarri set up. Under Conte for example most those same players had more end product. It was not too much of a stretch to expect the goal out put overall to improve under Lampard.

3. There is a myth that has been going around that Pulisic lost his place at Dortmund due to a dip in form. In truth it was more down to his desire to move on. He refused to renew with Dortmund. They put all sorts of pressure on him but he refused to cave. So they then simply pushed Sancho over him.

4. Kovacic may have not been superb in his first year. But only a brave person would have dared think he wasn't an excellent acquisition.

5. The only thing that could have reasonably worried people was Lampard's in experience as a boss. But the fact that Chelsea had a transfer ban and were determined to finally give their youth and loan army a chance. After seeing how the likes of Tomori and Mount faired under him and Morris at Derby, In my opinion, there was a lot to be excited about Chelsea.

Lampard definitely deserves credit for a job well done. But I don't agree he had it worse than his counterpart Solksjaer. I personally expected him to finish ahead of Spurs this season. I'm actually not surprised at all that it happened. He simply justified the faith the Chelsea owner rightly had in him in my book.
I agree with some of your points, particularly number 5. However the key thing is that as a Chelsea fan it was easy to be hopefully optimistic. Barring a complete disastrous season (mid-bottom half of the table) Frank was always gonna have a second season because Hazard left, we had the transfer ban, and the fact that Frank’s legendary status at the club would grant him more leeway than most. Plus we knew we had a bunch of talented youngsters. The reality is that many people at the start of the season thought Frank was in over his head for playing so many young players.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Only an A if wins the CL from our current position, coming back from 3 - 0 down against Bayern in away leg?

I would give A if we win on Saturday for sure, would be great season considering the ban, has blended youth in, and his first season in PL.

What I'm wondering about is how we improve the defense next season, will we give minutes to Tomori and Ampadu? Can't see who we can go buy for any kind of reasonable money at CB, also we need a LB, maybe Telles, don't think we have anyone in youth system who can play there.
I follow a lot of youth football. Chelsea have a good prospect in Maatsen. Not sure if he will be ready for another 2-3 years as he is only 17/18, but he has a lot of the fundermentals.

Weren't you the one constantly going on about how we were guaranteed to lose to Wolves?
In my opinion, I thought Wolves were going to cause you a lot of trouble. However, I was expecting Moutinho, Traore and Kepa to start.

As for, my post that you replied to, do you disagree that Chelsea need a 1GK, 1CB (min) and 1LB, or are you happy with how you defend?

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
Everything Lamps does is magic but every little good thing Ole does is shaded by the criticism to the smallest thing. To the point of saying why is he looking at the screen instead of shouting near the line and the sort.
As a Chelsea fan I can say I think Ole has done a tremendous job. I really think much like Lampard, if allowed to grow into their role plus the respective resources each club has, they will be fine managers.

I must say I really don’t understand this effort from some United fans to seemingly downplay the job Frank has done this season.

I suppose part of that may be because the general media narrative around Frank has been positive while Ole at times was been much more criticized and mocked, unfairly I might add.