Frank Lampard | Former Chelsea manager

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I think Lampard did an incredible job at lowering expectations to the point that he created a pressure free environment for the players to operate in. I don’t even mean that as a sleight on him. I think it was a genuinely good move that has reaped the rewards.
This is not a remotely good argument given that your Hazard-less attack has functioned very very well. What reason for the shocking regression in your defensive stability?
I mean, we had a transfer ban and we lost our best player by a mile who accounted for more or less half our league goals. I don't think expectations were out of line. You're looking at things retrospectively - because the attack worked well without Hazard, you're effectively arguing that Lampard shouldn't get credit despite the fact that there were massive questions over Tammy, Mount, James, Tomori, etc. - none of these had played significant minutes in the top flight.

The defensive issues are down to Kepa being absolute dogshit and the implementation of a much more open style of play especially in the absence of Kante (e.g. fullbacks pushing on, only 3 men behind the ball, etc.). Going forward, I'd hope Lampard addresses this but for me this is hardly a stick to beat him with - we were 4th in xGA this season (better than Liverpool) and I'd rather see how things go with a competent goalkeeper instead of literally the worst in the history of the PL.

cyberman

People keep blaming the players and talking about poor defenders and keeper yet Sarri had these same poor players defend 10 times better than what Lampard's Chelsea have shown this season.
They also claim Hazard is a huge loss when they scored more this year than they did last.

Mainoldo

I don’t know what people was expecting. He’s an okay manager trying a thing at Chelsea. Juventus have just hired Pirlo and it seems like the new in thing is to give these inexperienced guys a test at the big time and hope for the best.

AshRK

I mean, we had a transfer ban and we lost our best player by a mile who accounted for more or less half our league goals. I don't think expectations were out of line. You're looking at things retrospectively - because the attack worked well without Hazard, you're effectively arguing that Lampard shouldn't get credit despite the fact that there were massive questions over Tammy, Mount, James, Tomori, etc. - none of these had played significant minutes in the top flight.

The defensive issues are down to Kepa being absolute dogshit and the implementation of a much more open style of play especially in the absence of Kante (e.g. fullbacks pushing on, only 3 men behind the ball, etc.). Going forward, I'd hope Lampard addresses this but for me this is hardly a stick to beat him with - we were 4th in xGA this season (better than Liverpool) and I'd rather see how things go with a competent goalkeeper instead of literally the worst in the history of the PL.
I can buy that argument to an extent but kepa has nothing to do with defensive organization. That is manager's job and Lampard has shown nothing so far to suggest he can fix that.

The other worry I would have if I were a chelsea fan is you started the season well but have regressed since November. That's why I said roman would not have much patience if there is a slow start to the season. Yes sacking him might be harsh but that's roman for you.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think it quite amazing how much slack the press are giving him.

The whole night BT Sport talked about how this chelsea team is in transition and they're young and learnin'

No Chelsea team should be getting spanked 7-1 and coming out with positives :lol:

If that was Ole there would be people questioning if he's good enough, but somehow Frank gets a free pass?

Mainoldo

I can buy that argument to an extent but kepa has nothing to do with defensive organization. That is manager's job and Lampard has shown nothing so far to suggest he can fix that.

The other worry I would have if I were a chelsea fan is you started the season well but have regressed since November. That's why I said roman would not have much patience if there is a slow start to the season. Yes sacking him might be harsh but that's roman for you.
Except for City and Liverpool who’s really going to make Chelsea Look bad? They’ll have a better team next season and the teams competing with them for top 4 will be just as inconsistent for it to go unnoticed.

Feed Me

I'm hungry

This. All day long. Irrespective of Kepa, anyone with a pair of functioning eyes can see the defence is a shambles. It’s been a case of a shit keeper being exposed by a shit defence.

Chelsea’s ‘successful’ season essentially hinged on a good spell of form that basically sustained them for an entire campaign because the competition was so average.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

I think the defensive organization issues mostly boil down to problems in transition and on set pieces. Overall we are a very good pressing side and generally we concede very few shots - second lowest in the whole league.

I agree that there are things for Lampard to address, but having watched us this season we suffered from counters in matches we were dominating, on set pieces, and generally from Kepa being trash. I'm willing to give Lampard the benefit of the doubt given the underlying numbers but if things don't improve next year then I agree closer scrutiny is warranted.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
You’re not allowed to make that argument apparently because this only happened in retrospect.
You're also not allowed to mention the acquisition of Pulisic whom Chelsea fans in here have been hyping up like the second coming since the restart. It's all about that transfer ban and them losing Hazard whom the way they talk about, one would think Chelsea have lost Messi's level of output :lol:

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Except for City and Liverpool who’s really going to make Chelsea Look bad? They’ll have a better team next season and the teams competing with them for top 4 will be just as inconsistent for it to go unnoticed.
You're really overrating Lampard if this is what you really think.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
You're also not allowed to mention the acquisition of Pulisic whom Chelsea fans in here have been hyping up like the second coming since the restart. It's all about that transfer ban and them losing Hazard whom the way they talk about, one would think Chelsea have lost Messi's level of output :lol:
Yeah, there’s a lot of mental gymnastics going on. I think it’s fair to just say that Lampard has done a passable job and should be nowhere near a Manager of the Year shortlist.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
We'll finish comfortably above Chelsea next season imo.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
You’re not allowed to make that argument apparently because this only happened in retrospect.
I don't understand how the fact that Chelsea scored more goals than last year despite losing the player responsible for half their goals is somehow being glossed over in a thread about Lampard's performances? Surely he deserves credit for reshaping the way we attack despite losing our best player.

Of course you can mention him but you'd have to be abnormally prescient to have argued that he'd hit the ground running to the extent that he did - he'd never scored more than 4 league goals in a season for Dortmund.

Speaking for Chelsea fans, I'm blown away that he's already our best player but I also don't think that necessarily bodes well for the health of the squad as a whole.

Mainoldo

We'll finish comfortably above Chelsea next season imo.
I don’t they’ve improved there squad and we’ll probably just get Sancho. I don’t see how anything changes. Both teams have distinctive managerial flaws which will mean they will remain on a par.

I don’t they’ve improved there squad and we’ll probably just get Sancho. I don’t see how anything changes. Both teams have distinctive managerial flaws which will mean they will remain on a par.
We will buy more than just Sancho.

What are these supposed managerial flaws? Be interesting to see someone actually express clearly what these are?

Based Adnan

Manager of the season nomination folks

Gets piped off by the media week in week out. Can't wait for him to finally have some expectations on him because the realization that he's nothing special and the inevitable collapse will be glorious.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
That's because you're hatred of Ole clouds your judgement. It's cool, I can't wait to see you back track next season. :)

CM

I think it quite amazing how much slack the press are giving him.

The whole night BT Sport talked about how this chelsea team is in transition and they're young and learnin'

No Chelsea team should be getting spanked 7-1 and coming out with positives :lol:

If that was Ole there would be people questioning if he's good enough, but somehow Frank gets a free pass?
I think that was always going to be the case this season (I remember saying as much in pre-season). Young English manager takes over one of the big teams, has a transfer ban imposed upon him and has to promote a few kids. It's the perfect recipe for a free ride from the press.

I think that will change next season though. They've had a couple of drubbings which have been overlooked, but now Lampard has had the opportunity to spend big he'll have to accept culpability when things go wrong. There aren't anymore excuses to hide behind.

AshRK

Apart from city and liverpool top 4 is not a given to anyone. To say chelsea will definitely finish in top 4 is not a given thing. Yes they are favorites but the point was Lampard has to fix the defensive woes.

Mainoldo

That's because you're hatred of Ole clouds your judgement. It's cool, I can't wait to see you back track next season. :)
Hates a big word. I like Ole he seems like a nice guy. If I seen him I’d ask for a picture.

But as I was saying. I think Frank would have a decent enough squad to Survive a full season and I’ll repeat those clubs close to him won’t expose him enough to get the sack. So it’s up to Roman how much he wants the title back. Same goes for us.

No back tracking will be happening. Unless you believe we will get close to get back our title?

sport2793

There's no point in arguing about it. The proof is in the pudding and I wouldn't be surprised if Chelsea, their fans, and their fans in the media experience a rude awakening next season.

AshRK

I don't think anyone can judge Lampard being a good manager or not this soon. Next season would be a good time to judge him.So far he has done what was asked from him. I don't think many are arguing about that. It's the excuses that Lampard has been getting from British media.

Mainoldo

Apart from city and liverpool top 4 is not a given to anyone. To say chelsea will definitely finish in top 4 is not a given thing. Yes they are favorites but the point was Lampard has to fix the defensive woes.
He needs to get a defensive coach. I think we can all happily say Jody Morris is the reason for their style.

sport2793

Mate your team let in 54 goals in the premier league this season, with a defence that let in less than 40 in each of the prior two seasons before that (one in which Kepa was also GK). The defence is shambolic even if you take Kepa out of the picture, it's down to lack of organization on the training ground. Don't let me spoil your hopes though, it's all going to play out in front of your eyes.

No manager that oversees that can be called a good one. Not yet at least, we will see if he can rectify the defence in the transfer market and in training in the next few months.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I don't think anyone can judge Lampard being a good manager or not this soon. Next season would be a good time to judge him.So far he has done what was asked from him. I don't think many are arguing about that. It's the excuses that Lampard has been getting from British media.
I think that's a very balanced take and one I can get on board with. I suppose I'm just befuddled at the outrage that Lampard has been deemed the 4th best manager in the PL by a collection of mostly old white Englishmen. Has he done a better job than Ole? Cointoss for me, but certainly if Ole had been nominated in his place I'd not lose any sleep over it.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Hates a big word. I like Ole he seems like a nice guy. If I seen him I’d ask for a picture.

But as I was saying. I think Frank would have a decent enough squad to Survive a full season and I’ll repeat those clubs close to him won’t expose him enough to get the sack. So it’s up to Roman how much he wants the title back. Same goes for us.

No back tracking will be happening. Unless you believe we will get close to get back our title?
They're making too many changes to their first eleven for them to be competitive imo. They've also changed nothing currently to their defense which is clearly their biggest flaw. They'll have worse issues than we did at the start of this season and Lamps will be gone by Christmas. We on the other hand don't really have much improvement to do to our first eleven, Sancho possibly coming in to take the RW position but other than that it'll be mainly squad changes. We'll do far better this season in the league, not title chasing but personally think we'll finish comfortably 3rd and much closer to City/Liverpool. We won't be far behind City, as they need big changes themselves.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Nope. I’m just being realistic. Your overrating everyone else. Did you not see the league table.
If he can't organize a defense which going by evidence he can't, than he'll struggle against any decent opposition. Sarri had these same players in defense and did a much better job.

sport2793

How many goals conceded next season will it take for you to think he's done a good job regarding our defence? Genuine question.
Under 40 would be sign of good progress. I say this as a United fan whose team let in 54 goals last season and got that under 40 this season.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Mate your team let in 54 goals in the premier league this season, with a defence that let in less than 40 in each of the prior two seasons before that (one in which Kepa was also GK). The defence is shambolic even if you take Kepa out of the picture, it's down to lack of organization on the training ground. Don't let me spoil your hopes though, it's all going to play out in front of your eyes.

No manager that oversees that can be called a good one. Not yet at least, we will see if he can rectify the defence in the transfer market and in training in the next few months.
Bro are your jimmies rustled by a simple meme that literally has nothing to do with your club? Boiling this down to "if this, then that" is awfully simplistic.

Kepa wasn't anywhere near as bad last year as he was this - it cannot be understated that he put up literally the worst season in the history of the PL. There are levels to this shit. We conceded the second fewest shots in the league, yet Kepa saved ~52% of shots on goal. Think about that - imagine being a defender and knowing that any time you concede a shot, a coin is tossed and that determines whether it goes in. On top of that, Kepa doesn't come for crosses and as such our CBs had to totally change the way we defend wide areas - if you watch us closely you'll see that the near post CB has to adopt a zonal scheme at the corner of the 6 yard box instead of man marking when the ball is in wide areas because Kepa is so clueless.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I think he’s had a poor year; I can see why people think he’s done well though.

However how do Chelsea fans feel about him munching on Pepperamis every game? I’m absolutely amazed more isn’t made of it. I’d be livid if we were losing to Bayern and Ole was sitting there eating a red hot flavoured Pepperami around 65 minutes every game. Just fecking wait till full time.