Frank Lampard | Former Chelsea manager

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Chelsea Quadruple next year. You thought Zidane and Pep were amazing just wait till you get a load of Frank!

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Well well. This thing of taking relative rookie managers with ties to the club is pretty cool. Can't wait for Kompany, Henry and Gerrard to turn up in a couple of years.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Interesting move. Looks like they're trying to get away from their policy of looking for the best available managers and inevitably paying them a huge fee when they sack them after 2 seasons. At least this way they'll probably pay feck all when they sack Lampard next year.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I wonder what this will mean for Zouma and the other young players. You’d imagine he’d like to play CHO and RLC a lot when they come back along with Mount so this could be the start of a new type of era for Chelsea and their transfer policy. Especially with the ban.

I was confident we would get Zouma when Sarri was still in management. Not so sure now.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Interesting move. Looks like they're trying to get away from their policy of looking for the best available managers and inevitably paying them a huge fee when they sack them after 2 seasons. At least this way they'll probably pay feck all when they sack Lampard next year.
Based on what ? Lampard's would be mug not to protect himself with this contract

wr8_utd

:'(
After all those years of managing the club along with Terry, he's finally got the role full time.

TheHeya

Meanwhile Terry is in the corner of his bedroom sulking because he imagined that this would be him

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He did a great job at Derby I think, got them playing some great football.

Frank will get a LOT more time and patience from the Chelsea fans, especially with the transfer ban it's a good excuse to give him some time to work.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Hopefully he'll be more Zidane and less Neville.. Looked like it might have been Gracia at one point, which would have been seriously underwhelming. Lampard hasn't done anything in his managerial career yet obviously, football doesn't always make sense though, maybe he can be a surprise success. Just hope he's not being brought in as a whipping boy the fans will tolerate for what could be quite a difficult season.

Not going to be easy, having lost Hazard and big question marks over how we're going to play and with what formation. So pre-season going to be very interesting.

That being said with Pulisic and Kovacic signed there is some hope. We have plenty of players despite the ban.

My expectation would be top 6 finish and get to a cup final, don't think more than that is realistic.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Any words of thanks from Fat Frank to Derby who gave him his big break only for him to dump them at the first opportunity?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Meanwhile Terry is in the corner of his bedroom sulking because he imagined that this would be him
Forget Terry, it would be Jose's thoughts I'd be more interested in. The club he took for granted for a large chunk of his career has just appointed one of his old players while he's a free agent.

charlenefan

Forget Terry, it would be Jose's thoughts I'd be more interested in. The club he took for granted for a large chunk of his career has just appointed one of his old players while he's a free agent.
eh?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Any words of thanks from Fat Frank to Derby who gave him his big break only for him to dump them at the first opportunity?
Derby would have dumped him in a heartbeat if Pep turned around this summer and declared himself available for the job.

I know that would never happen but the point is ultimately club and player/managers will always protect their interests first and foremost and rightly so.

charlenefan

Derby would have dumped him in a heartbeat if Pep turned around this summer and declared himself available for the job.

I know that would never happen but the point is ultimately club and player/managers will always protect their interests first and foremost and rightly so.
Well that's not true is it. There's plenty of loyalty still around in football, just seemingly not with Lampard

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
“I would like to say a special thank you to Mel Morris, the players, staff and everyone who is associated with Derby County Football Club.

“It has been a fantastic experience for me, and I feel privileged to have managed such a prestigious club.

“Most of all, I want to thank the fans who supported me and the team from the day I arrived in the City. I wish everyone the best of luck going forward.”
https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2019/07/lampard-departs-to-join-chelsea

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Don't think Jose was foolish to believe he had chance with Chelsea for third time.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He always acted as if he could walk back to the club any time (between the two spells) which to be fair but was correct for the most part. And for a large part of the second spell he banged on (reading between the lines) about how we will forever be in his debt and how he thinks he's bigger than us (couple of times looking like he was very close to saying it in its bluntest terms, ie the Southampton interview).

einstein

Personally I wasn't impressed by his stint at derby. But the outcome of old legends coming back to manage their club is sometimes dependent more than just on coaching ability. Anything can happen in football when you are playing with your heart.

charlenefan

He always acted as if he could walk back to the club any time (between the two spells) which to be fair but was correct. And for a large part of the second spell he banged on (reading between the lines) about how we will forever be in his debt and how he thinks he's bigger than us (couple of times looking like he was very close to saying it in its bluntest terms, ie the Southampton interview).
Well tbf he is your most successful manager, he'll forever be in the record books for not only bringing you your first league title in 50 years but also creating 1 especially really good side.

Alabaster Codify7

Ole vs Lampard, both with depleted teams, as the opening game of the season is actually very intriguing and will tell both sets of fans a lot I reckon.

I'm going for 0-0 and a stinker of a game.

Skills

Snitch
Clubs like Chelsea, Madrid and even Barcelona can get away with this kind of decisions because the clubs management and fanbase aren't over-emotional idiots.

If Lampard isn't working out all of a sudden they'll move on without wanting to purge the entire squad to prove some kind of point about giving managers time and patience.

CM10

I actually think the transfer embargo will work to his advantage. It gives him the opportunity to make use of the club's youth team and conveyor belt of loan players without the pressure of the media. If he has any kind of success under those circumstances he'll be heralded and if not, people will say he's been dealt a bad hand.

charlenefan

Chelsea are the club where he became a legend, they play in the CL and they will pay him a lot more than Derby.

I don't think anyone rational would expect him to stay at Derby.
It's not like a player coming to the end of their career though, if anything it's the exact opposite Lampard has all the time in the world to become Chelsea manager. Not only does the move show a lack of loyalty to Derby the move itself could be a major setback to his managerial career. Lampard himself knows how it'll go if things dont go well for him at Chelsea next season, he'll be shown the door like every other manager has at which point where does he go from there?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It's not like a player coming to the end of their career though, if anything it's the exact opposite Lampard has all the time in the world to become Chelsea manager. Not only does the move show a lack of loyalty to Derby the move itself could be a major setback to his managerial career. Lampard himself knows how it'll go if things dont go well for him at Chelsea next season, he'll be shown the door like every other manager has at which point where does he go from there?
Straight to West Ham most likely.