Frank Lampard: Derby County Manager

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Signed 3 year deal.

If i'm not wrong he doesn't have any coaching experience, will be interesting how he sets up his team.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
He'll end up being a better manager than Slippy G, that's fairly certain.

MUFC OK

Signed 3 year deal.

If i'm not wrong he doesn't have any coaching experience, will be interesting how he sets up his team.
So much for Giggs being apparently under qualified for every job he was linked to.. Honestly don't care how he does, but the media will give him an easy ride.

Edit: Football manager always seems to rate him as future England boss and I trust their systems.

Kag

Will be interesting to watch, this one. Derby are a good club, too.

His ability to coach and run seasons is something we know nothing about, but he's an articulate chap and I'd like to see him do well.

IrishRedDevil

It will be very interesting to see how his genius mind adapts to management. I wish him luck as he seems a decent guy judging from his punditry.

''Frank Lampard scored one of the highest set of marks ever recorded by the company doing the tests, and higher than me," Dr English said. He declined to released the England midfielder's precise score, but the newspaper quoted sources claiming it was more than 150 on the IQ scale, putting him in the most intelligent 0.1 per cent of the population.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
So much for Giggs being apparently under qualified for every job he was linked to.. Honestly don't care how he does, but the media will give him an easy ride.

Edit: Football manager always seems to rate him as future England boss and I trust their systems.
Lampard is very intelligent and well spoken. I started supporting United because of Giggs but I find him so uninspiring.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Will follow this very closely. Seems like an intelligent bloke, very likeable and will definitely command respect from his squad. Also he was a very smart player tactically so coaching should come naturally to him. I think he has all the tools to become an excellent manager.

roonster09

Scout
Lampard is very intelligent and well spoken. I started supporting United because of Giggs but I find him so uninspiring.
How they speak in front of camera has nothing to do with their quality of coaching or rating their intelligence. Some are camera shy and some can express better. Gary Neville speaks so well but he failed as manager.

MUFC OK

I agree but that wasn't the rationale in the media, it was that Giggs was under qualified and apparently should have started managing way down the football league to prove himself first.

Alfie092

Fair play to him. Would be interesting to see how he does.

Saying that I would love Rio to get into management and see how he does!

roonster09

Scout
Think he will be a good appointment, top class professional and apart from 1 or 2 incidents, almost a career with no black spot.

Alfie092

Who got the better job, Slippy G at Rangers or Lampard at Derby?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
It's bit of a stupid appointment. The likes of Giggs, Gerrard etc atleast had some coaching experience.

I like Lampard but if Derby had appointed Giggs, then some people in this very thread(@Kag for one) would've been criticizing Derby for the appointment.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
Interesting. Very interesting.

I'm one of those who wants to have Giggs as manager here at United, as I've always thought he would be a perfect fit à la Enrique and Zidane with their former clubs. However, when I see Lampard and Gerrard who both retired after him getting decent(-ish) jobs with similar, if not less coaching experience (Giggs was assistant for a long period and also interim manager), it makes me wonder why our Giggsy can't find another job elsewhere. I'm a little bit disappointed, to be honest.

KM

Interesting. Very interesting.

I'm one of those who wants to have Giggs as manager here at United, as I've always thought he would be a perfect fit à la Enrique and Zidane with their former clubs. However, when I see Lampard and Gerrard who both retired after him getting decent(-ish) jobs with similar, if not less coaching experience (Giggs was assistant for a long period and also interim manager), it makes me wonder why our Giggsy can't find another job elsewhere. I'm a little bit disappointed, to be honest.
I'd say getting appointed by Wales is a much high profile job than getting appointed by Derby.

Castia

Who got the better job, Slippy G at Rangers or Lampard at Derby?

Tough one. Both jobs are tricky.

Rangers should be cert for second but will that be enough? They aren’t winning the league anytime soon.

Lampard needs promotion with Derby which will be hard.

KM

Derby's previous managers have been quite uninspiring. If it's true that he's getting Jody Morris in with him, than that's a very good move. He has been excellent for Chelsea youth teams who always play some of the best football in the league irrespective of the players.

Kag

It's bit of a stupid appointment. The likes of Giggs, Gerrard etc atleast had some coaching experience.

I like Lampard but if Derby had appointed Giggs, then some people in this very thread(@Kag for one) would've been criticizing Derby for the appointment.
I've said we've got no idea whether or not he can run a session. By nature it's risky. But it's not a Premier League job he's walking into either.

It's an interesting appointment at a Championship club that can probably afford to take more risks - in that I can't see them being relegated.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He'll end up being a better manager than Slippy G, that's fairly certain.
He's got literally double the IQ so it wouldn't be a surprise.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
I'd say getting appointed by Wales is a much high profile job than getting appointed by Derby.
Fair enough.

Although coaching a national side and a coaching club football are two different beasts, in my opinion. A successful a national team manager doesn't always translate into a good club manager (maybe the inverse is more common and/or easier).

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Fascinating. All the best to him. That's a pretty great first job to get.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager

Rangers should be cert for second but will that be enough? They aren’t winning the league anytime soon.

Rangers finished 3rd behind Celtic and Aberdeen this season. There is no certainty that they finish 2nd and it will be difficult for Gerrard. Both of their jobs will be tricky.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
As football weekly said, He's got Lamb in his name - so that has to be a good omen to manage the Rams... but then, he also has Pard in his name so....

POF

Normally I would see a club appointing a high profile former player with no coaching experience and expect it to be an absolute disaster but I'm not so sure with Lampard.

He was a very intelligent player and seems to understand the game well. You would also expect Harry will show him the ropes of the transfer market so it's unlikely he will be naive when it comes to transfers.

It will be really interesting to see how he does. It could be a fantastic appointment.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
How they speak in front of camera has nothing to do with their quality of coaching or rating their intelligence. Some are camera shy and some can express better. Gary Neville speaks so well but he failed as manager.
Well actually, the way someone speaks and what they say are the most obvious markers of intelligence. Unless Giggs has autism and struggles with languages and expressing himself but that doesn't seem to be the case.

If you think Gary Neville is intelligent from the way he speaks...then I got bad new for you.

roonster09

Scout
Well actually, the way someone speaks and what they say are the most obvious markers of intelligence. Unless Giggs has autism and struggles with languages and expressing himself but that doesn't seem to be the case.

If you think Gary Neville is intelligent from the way he speaks...then I got bad new for you.
Well, you watch Gary Neville on MNF and he speaks well and addresses so many issues tactically. Speaking well doesn't make anyone intelligent, like I said few are media shy and few don't have problems facing cameras.

For example, Scholes barely gave interviews and even now when he speaks, he is so dull but he is one of the most intelligent player we had.

TGK

Supports
Liverpool
Fairplay to both Lampard and Gerrard.

Both could name their price as pundits, but to a certain extent are putting their reputations on the line actually doing it.

Wish them both well.

Otherwise we end up on the same Big Sam, Pardew, Pulis, Hodgson et al merry-go-round.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Well, you watch Gary Neville on MNF and he speaks well and addresses so many issues tactically. Speaking well doesn't make anyone intelligent, like I said few are media shy and few don't have problems facing cameras.

For example, Scholes barely gave interviews and even now when he speaks, he is so dull but he is one of the most intelligent player we had.
Gary Neville is what you call a snake oil salesman. Makes obvious points and takes a long time to make them. All style and no substance. He only got the Valencia job through Nepotism anyway.

Scholes intelligence translates quite well on tv (and I was going to bring him up as similar to Lampard). He always takes time to think before making a point, generally offers counter points and is very concise. Henry is also another one whose intelligence translates quite clearly on tv.

Speaking a lot, or being charismatic does not mean you are intelligent. Its the process by which you speak and what you actually say.

roonster09

Scout
Gary Neville is what you call a snake oil salesman. Makes obvious points and takes a long time to make them. All style and no substance. He only got the Valencia job through Nepotism anyway.

Scholes intelligence translates quite well on tv (and I was going to bring him up as similar to Lampard). He always takes time to think before making a point, generally offers counter points and is very concise. Henry is also another one whose intelligence translates quite clearly on tv.

Speaking a lot, or being charismatic does not mean you are intelligent. Its the process by which you speak and what you actually say.
Well agree to disagree then. Gary Neville on TV is much better than anyone except Henry and Scholes is as boring as they come.

Alfie092

Rangers are clearly the bigger club and Gerrard at best in my view would just continue to guide Rangers to a 2nd place finish, maybe just close the gap on Celtic slightly.

The Championship is a much more exciting league! Definitely a league with much more quality teams and players, so it's much more challenging to do well and as you said, will be hard for Lampard to help them get promoted. Play-off finish (top 6) at the minimum should be the aim.

ChrisNelson

My workmates, 99% of them Derby fans are very hyperactive today following this news...

It's a great bit of business by Mel Morris getting him to Derby, they are a club with potential. They're always there or thereabouts, can easily pull in 30,000 fans and do have a history, albeit most of the glory remains planted in the 1970s.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see him take Derby up next season, especially if he can attract some big names to the club.

Relfy

Fair play to Frank for taking on the challenge. I'd imagine Terry not staying at Villa may mean they link up at Derby in some capacity. Will be interesting to see how he gets on.

Kag

Well agree to disagree then. Gary Neville on TV is much better than anyone except Henry and Scholes is as boring as they come.
Agree on this. Henry just waffles. I can't remember him making a clear point in all his time on Sky.

Neville is a tit and refuses to change his position once it's made, but he's an excellent pundit and very knowledgable.

Scholes is difficult to assess on the basis that I don't speak mumble.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Normally I would see a club appointing a high profile former player with no coaching experience and expect it to be an absolute disaster but I'm not so sure with Lampard.

He was a very intelligent player and seems to understand the game well. You would also expect Harry will show him the ropes of the transfer market so it's unlikely he will be naive when it comes to transfers.

It will be really interesting to see how he does. It could be a fantastic appointment.
I would say intelligent generally, and articulate, with a playing record that will demand respect from anyone in the English league. His coaching is certainly an unknown quality but my instinct is he'll be more adept at getting his ideas across than Giggs or Gerrard.

Whatever happens it's certainly exciting, if a little unnerving in terms of indicating the swift passing of time, that players I've grown up watching in the PL are now stepping into management.

Coxy

My workmates, 99% of them Derby fans are very hyperactive today following this news...

It's a great bit of business by Mel Morris getting him to Derby, they are a club with potential. They're always there or thereabouts, can easily pull in 30,000 fans and do have a history, albeit most of the glory remains planted in the 1970s.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see him take Derby up next season, especially if he can attract some big names to the club.
The thing with Derby is that each year they do really well until January and then seem to fail time and time again. If they can stop doing that then they have a great chance. Would be good for the City if they got up.

Ban

Didn't expect that nor I knew he had the badges. All the luck to him. He was a great player and he's pretty good when he's on tv. Likeable guy unlike some other rival's ex legends.