Frank Lampard | New Diary of a CEO interview

Gandalf

I‘ve always wondered why Duncan Ferguson operates as a coach at such a high level. The easy stereotype being that he doesn’t strike you as modern football coach and just screams PASHUN N DEEZAIUH… not to mention the man is fecking lunatic who is beloved for some reason.

Hes like the proto Andy Carroll in that he was super expensive British striker and scored feck all goals, yet the press can’t stop noshing him. I’m sure I’ve triggered some Big Dunc white knights and they’re going to tell me he was the best thing since sliced bread.
No idea about his coaching skills but he was a better player than Andy Carroll by a mile and having seen him in the flesh I have to admit that if he worked for me I would be too scared to fire him and I am a good bit more sprightly than Bill Kenwright.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He got the Chelsea job with a CV that wouldn't have been strong enough to get the job without being who he is and now he'll get the Everton job because he has the Chelsea job on his CV. I genuinely don't see any massive difference between he and someone like Ole, apart from the number of journalists who are willing to act as unpaid PR for him.
I largely agree, but the difference between Frank and Ole is that we already know Ole doesn't have it, whereas with Frank that's the expectation. He's not managed for long enough to have not proven himself, as it were.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Good manager. Wrong club for him. I hope for his sake that he gets off to a good start.

Wilt

Think he’ll do better than what those on here are saying/hoping.

marktan

Rafa, Lampard.. Giggsy next? Everton scout managers the way we scout players. Methinks Moshiri needs to take a step back and hire a team of 10 experienced footballing men on a salary of £100k each to actually run things instead of spunking millions on random PL managers.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Think he’ll do better than what those on here are saying/hoping.
He had some obvious weaknesses with us, evidenced by how quickly Tuchel sorted that backline out with players Lampard had discarded, but he did some very good things too. Persisting with the youth, securing top 4 when most of us predicted a top 6 finish. When you're a bit of a novice as Lampard is, what I wanted for him was a more stable club with less pressure. He's walking into an extremely difficult and volatile situation here and he won't really be afforded the time to start slowly. High risk, high reward I suppose but I don't love this move for him.

mu4c_20le

Rooney, Lampard and Vitor Pereira. What a shortlist :lol: Even Wayne, he’s doing an absolutely amazing job at Derby, but he’s still a relative novice, albeit I obviously wish him the best wherever he goes. The other two are just absolutely bang average.

And Lampard, likeable as he is, is the worst of the three imo. They could genuinely go down with him.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Haha, yeah, I'm sure it'll be a bit awkward meeting Duncan after getting his job. But seriously, I'm worried he's going to absolutely fecking batter me."
:lol:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Will be interesting to see how he does after Chelsea. I think he’s a decent coach as he did a decent job with Derby and Chelsea with their transfer ban.

tomaldinho1

Why even mention Ole at all? Will be intriguing to see how he does, it's a very hard seat - not sure what success looks like for them, EL qualification and a few cup runs?

Wilt

He had some obvious weaknesses with us, evidenced by how quickly Tuchel sorted that backline out with players Lampard had discarded, but he did some very good things too. Persisting with the youth, securing top 4 when most of us predicted a top 6 finish. When you're a bit of a novice as Lampard is, what I wanted for him was a more stable club with less pressure. He's walking into an extremely difficult and volatile situation here and he won't really be afforded the time to start slowly. High risk, high reward I suppose but I don't love this move for him.
Could be said the move from Derby to Chelsea was a bit of a stretch. With no permitted transfer business, relying on academy players and falling out with one or two players didn’t help. But he's very smart and should have learnt off it. Interesting appointment.

MacGlock88

Wayne Rooney: “Everton approached my agent and asked me to interview for the job. I turned it down. I believe I will be a PL manager and am ready for that 100%. But I have a job at Derby, which is important to me”. #EFC

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
He's not the second coming of Ferguson or Guardiola but he's a class above Ole IMO.
He'll keep them up comfortably.

AshRK

I largely agree, but the difference between Frank and Ole is that we already know Ole doesn't have it, whereas with Frank that's the expectation. He's not managed for long enough to have not proven himself, as it were.
Ole did a much better job at United than Lampard at chelsea. Age wise as well Ole I think is just 5 year older than Lampard. So to conclude Ole is finished as a manager but Lampard isn't is a weird take. I feel manager wise too early to write either. Again no means saying either are amazing or even remotely that good. Too soon to say anything.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Suppose Calvert-Lewin regaining fitness might be a big help.

When he was out they were really struggling to get any form going at all.Get some supply chain into him and I think you have a solid return of goals no matter what. Selling Digne will be a big miss in that regard as he had very good delivery but I'm sure they can figure something out.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Ole did a much better job at United than Lampard at chelsea. Age wise as well Ole I think is just 5 year older than Lampard. So to conclude Ole is finished as a manager but Lampard isn't is a weird take. I feel manager wise too early to write either. Again no means saying either are amazing or even remotely that good. Too soon to say anything.
Weird take? Ole has been a manager 10 years longer than Lampard - 13 to 3. That pretty much explains my whole take. I'm not saying Lampard is better. I'm saying he's unproven. He had a pretty decent year at Derby, a good first year at Chelsea where he had the much noted limitations, and then a pretty weak season before Super Hans stepped in to do the business.

I don't think that's unreasonable.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Could be said the move from Derby to Chelsea was a bit of a stretch. With no permitted transfer business, relying on academy players and falling out with one or two players didn’t help. But he's very smart and should have learnt off it. Interesting appointment.
Oh it was absolutely too big too soon for him. On the surface this is a fantastic chance to manage a huge club with a very good squad. I just think the current version of Everton is a mess and I'd hoped he would land in a more stable situation.

Abraxas

People saying it's not the right job for Lampard.

I think it absolutely is. He's clearly been waiting around for a premier league job. He didn't have any desire to go back to the Championship. That means there's only 20 jobs available, at least 6 of which he is never going to be able to get. That's not many considering he's not exactly the only manager around and his management so far has been lukewarm.

He goes into a club that made the least common sense appointment I've seen in Benitez. Completely at rock bottom performance wise, but with better players than they're showing. He doesn't have to produce miracles, he just has to do better than Rafa in the short term, which should not be a difficult task because Rafa was rolling downhill as soon as things went awry at Everton.

In the long term it will be a tougher question because he'll have to build them up and we don't know if he's capable, but he'll have time to do that as long as he gets a bounce out of the players now.

I don't see how Lampard could have got a better job than this, it's a brilliant PL club that should be much better than currently. Whether it's great for Everton we'll see but I don't think it's that bad a shout by them.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I don't think it'll go too well, everton are a poisoned chalice and I don't feel he's the one capable of change it. Maybe he'll get something out of those youngsters as he seems to have a propels towards them. Anyway always liked him so good luck.

RooneyLegend

Under him Chelsea were a directionless side with horrible defending that was heading nowhere. After that a new coach took the same group of players to a CL title. Why would you hire someone who's displayed that level of ineptitude.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Oh it was absolutely too big too soon for him. On the surface this is a fantastic chance to manage a huge club with a very good squad. I just think the current version of Everton is a mess and I'd hoped he would land in a more stable situation.
You could argue that a more stable club wouldn’t feel the need to take a punt on Frank? I actually think he will do ok, but I think a more organized club go for someone with a better CV

AshRK

Weird take? Ole has been a manager 10 years longer than Lampard - 13 to 3. That pretty much explains my whole take. I'm not saying Lampard is better. I'm saying he's unproven. He had a pretty decent year at Derby, a good first year at Chelsea where he had the much noted limitations, and then a pretty weak season before Super Hans stepped in to do the business.

I don't think that's unreasonable.
But then did you actually break down Ole's 13 years. He did a very good to good job at molde. He was highly praised for his work at reserves as well. His 3 years as a United manager was decent. His only outright failure was with Cardiff and this season with United. So taking that aside one can say he has done good job for himself. Not saying amazing but decent to good. So to say Ole doesn't have is a weird take. Maybe he never manages in PL but that doesn't mean he will never manage elsewhere. Maybe who knows he actually does a decent job again elsewhere.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
But then did you actually break down Ole's 13 years. He did a very good to good job at molde. He was highly praised for his work at reserves as well. His 3 years as a United manager was decent. His only outright failure was with Cardiff and this season with United. So taking that aside one can say he has done good job for himself. Not saying amazing but decent to good. So to say Ole doesn't have is a weird take. Maybe he never manages in PL but that doesn't mean he will never manage elsewhere. Maybe who knows he actually does a decent job again elsewhere.
Ah, so that's the bit you found controversial, that I deemed Ole as not having it. Let me elaborate, by not having it I meant not being a top manager or close to becoming a top manager. I don't particularly think he'll be a decent manager in any league of relevance from now, but that's beside the point. And, in line with this, I think Lampard won't become a top manager either, but the evidence for judging is a lot less than what one has to form that opinion on Ole.

And I disagree on Ole's CV, but that debate has been done to infinity on here and we can just agree to disagree.

AshRK

Ah, so that's the bit you found controversial, that I deemed Ole as not having it. Let me elaborate, by not having it I meant not being a top manager or close to becoming a top manager. I don't particularly think he'll be a decent manager in any league of relevance from now, but that's beside the point. And, in line with this, I think Lampard won't become a top manager either, but the evidence for judging is a lot less than what one has to form that opinion on Ole.

And I disagree on Ole's CV, but that debate has been done to infinity on here and we can just agree to disagree.
Fair enough. Anyways wish Lampard does well. Liked his work at derby.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Don’t dislike him, but seems like a poor appointment. They might be one of the worst run clubs in the league.

Wilt

Under him Chelsea were a directionless side with horrible defending that was heading nowhere. After that a new coach took the same group of players to a CL title. Why would you hire someone who's displayed that level of ineptitude.
Falling out with key players didn’t help …first thing Tuchel did was get Rudiger on board. Factor in Chelsea transfer ban and having to play academy players didn’t help either. He‘s currently no where near the level of Tuchel, but Lampard is very smart and should have learnt from his mistakes.
I’ve a feeling he’ll do better than some think .…interesting.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Falling out with key players didn’t help …first thing Tuchel did was get Rudiger on board. Factor in Chelsea transfer ban and having to play academy players didn’t help either. He‘s currently no where near the level of Tuchel, but Lampard is very smart and should have learnt from his mistakes.
I’ve a feeling he’ll do better than some think .…interesting.
This is a useless prediction :lol: .The range is from he'd be sacked in 6 months/relegated to he's a good manager. Which level of "some" are you talking about?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
You could argue that a more stable club wouldn’t feel the need to take a punt on Frank? I actually think he will do ok, but I think a more organized club go for someone with a better CV
Yeah fair point. I thought dropping down to the championship would have been a better direction for him. Finding a stable club there willing to have him wouldn't have been too difficult. But a huge PL club in disarray? Tough situation to walk into.

FujiVice

Hes like the proto Andy Carroll in that he was super expensive British striker and scored feck all goals, yet the press can’t stop noshing him. I’m sure I’ve triggered some Big Dunc white knights and they’re going to tell me he was the best thing since sliced bread.
He was a fantastic player. Nothing like Andy Carroll. Sir Alex rated Duncan highly, and rightly so. He was really good with his feat and his vertical leap was brilliant when he was young. He had loads of injuries and happily played with them for years.