Frank Lampard | New Diary of a CEO interview

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He should head to another county and try to rebuild some sort of a rep.

Lee565

It would be a joke if he gets a better job before ole, Frank is bang awful

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Bad move for both Chelsea and him. Can't see how he will even get a job at a Championship side after this. But with all the money he earned during his player and short manager career, pretty sure he will blow his nose in sadness to 50 pounds notes as tissues.
He would get a job at the Championship level easily.

And he's rich. And he's managed at the PL level, 3 times. He's had 3 chances at it already, more than most people can say.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Pretty stupid move replacing Potter with this guy, I swear the guy was just finding his feet with the comedy bloated squad and then they give it to a bad caretaker manager who pretty much relegated his last team, has no authority being caretaker and form goes from bad to fecking appalling. This Boehly chap is a prime d*ckhead on a par with Woodward, getting his just desserts .

Tyrion

That bloke who managed Derby to 10 points in an entire season was worse, and he still got work afterwards.
I really believe some clubs appoint managers who've failed in the league because they just assume they must be good if the other club hired them in the first place.

Woodzy

It annoys me that Chelsea are getting nowhere near enough stick in the media as they should be. They spent £600m ffs.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Anyone know what hand gesture Lampard did to the Stretford End as he went down the tunnel last night? It got a loud cheer. I wasn't looking but the guy next to me said he put up 4 fingers to us (which makes no sense to me)

Tyrion

He's definitely struggling with it now.

I noticed it at the end of last season..
I don't know why he (or any former top player) wants to be a manager. Its a pretty shite job. He gets paid less than he did as a player for more stress, less job security, more mockery and less of a chance at success. Pep went bald after about 2 years as Barca manager and seems like having a heart attack every game, Klopp seems miserable and practically attacks middle aged officials and Jose and Conte have breakdowns every third season at most. They're the successful ones!

If I had Lampards career, I'd take the easy pundit option, enjoy retirement and live out the next 50 odd years how I like.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I don't know why he (or any former top player) wants to be a manager. Its a pretty shite job. He gets paid less than he did as a player for more stress, less job security, more mockery and less of a chance at success. Pep went bald after about 2 years as Barca manager and seems like having a heart attack every game, Klopp seems miserable and practically attacks middle aged officials and Jose and Conte have breakdowns every third season at most. They're the successful ones!

If I had Lampards career, I'd take the easy pundit option, enjoy retirement and live out the next 50 odd years how I like.
He's been involved in pro football since the day he was born, it's in his DNA, it's what makes him tick, he wouldn't know what to do

It's basically the same thing that drives people like Musk, Gates, Bezos and so on, these guys have the money to do whatever they want for hundred lifetimes but they don't stop

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Does Lampard actually do anything? Even U10 managers get some ideas across to players, maybe Lampard could find some youth teams in the park and take notes.
I'm sure he get's his ideas across, whether they pay any attention is a different matter though

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Does Lampard actually do anything? Even U10 managers get some ideas across to players, maybe Lampard could find some youth teams in the park and take notes.
I'm sure he get's his ideas across, whether they pay any attention is a different matter though
Reminds me of Rangnick last season. Once a group of highly-paid players begin to lose faith in a manager who has a weak CV to fall back on, then any ideas they try to put forward will likely fall on deaf ears.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Reminds me of Rangnick last season. Once a group of highly-paid players begin to lose faith in a manager who has a weak CV to fall back on, then any ideas they try to put forward will likely fall on deaf ears.
He hasn't been there long enough for them to lose faith, they probably never had any to begin with!

Not really his fault though, these players stopped playing a long time ago, TBF Chelsea were OK from box to box, once in the box at either end they were dreadful

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

He hasn't been there long enough for them to lose faith, they probably never had any to begin with!

Not really his fault though, these players stopped playing a long time ago, TBF Chelsea were OK from box to box, once in the box at either end they were dreadful
Ha, true! Tbf Chelsea have tried the interim manager route in the past and it's paid off (Di Matteo, Hiddink) although that was with a different squad who generally were predisposed to winning. This current crop of players seem lack that same hunger to turn things around. Who would've thought handing out 8 year contracts to a bunch of unproven youngsters would foster such a 'meh' mentality.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
That CV includes his playing days and he's their legend. There was a reason Ole got a response from the squad but Rangnick did not.

Tyrion

Part of me wonders if their squad just isn't very good. Lots of players and potential but not much current ability.

Tyrion

That CV includes his playing days and he's their legend. There was a reason Ole got a response from the squad but Rangnick did not.
I think things were just too toxic when Ragnick came in. Ole wasn't the problem so sacking him didn't improve things much. Same as with Potter. Jose was toxic though so when Ole came after him, things improved.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Part of me wonders if their squad just isn't very good. Lots of players and potential but not much current ability.
They have the ability as individuals, they aren't a team though, the squad is too big yet they don't have a CF, Poch will change that, I suspect they'll improve a little next season and be a real threat the season after

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Ole's interim spell produced a record breaking run of wins. Lampard's interim spell produced one of the worst sequence of results in the history of PL management. These are not comparable.

moodyred

I think things were just too toxic when Rangnick came in. Ole wasn't the problem so sacking him didn't improve things much. Same as with Potter. Jose was toxic though so when Ole came after him, things improved.
Both managers can't manage the players and their attitude. This means they are not very good managers. How is it not their problem?

Tyrion

Both managers can't manage the players and their attitude. This means they are not very good managers. How is it not their problem?
No it doesn't mean that. If the squad is awful and dysfunctional then the managers job is much harder. Tuchel struggled before the squad got this bloated and he's obviously very good.

moodyred

No it doesn't mean that. If the squad is awful and dysfunctional then the managers job is much harder. Tuchel struggled before the squad got this bloated and he's obviously very good.
I beg to differ. I don't think they are good enough to handle difficult players. Ole was trying to be a good guy and accommodate the players. The constant reliance on Maguire and Lindelof combo in defence as well as McFred in midfield is mind boggling.

Halftrack

I honestly think Lampard would have taken the job if offered, even after the absolute shitshow he presided over.

city-puma

Frankly, I don’t think any manager can work out that super squad. In hindsight, Potter probably did a great job. They almost can field three teams. Can’t really imagine how so many players are happy to stay on bench.

Seij

Frank Lampard's 2022-2023 season is quite possibly the worst managerial performance in the entire history of the Premier League.

Oscar Bonavena

Frankly, I don’t think any manager can work out that super squad. In hindsight, Potter probably did a great job. They almost can field three teams. Can’t really imagine how so many players are happy to stay on bench.
Frank has almost singlehandedly redeemed Graham Potter's reputation, to the point where Potter's spell in charge now looks like a golden era for the club compared to what Lampard's presided over!

Tyrion

I honestly think Lampard would have taken the job if offered, even after the absolute shitshow he presided over.
Apparently he said he thought he might end up as Chelaea manager again when he was first made interim. His confidence does seem bullet proof.