Frank Lampard Sack Watch

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by SirAnderson, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Aug 12, 2019

edgecutter Full Member

This job was always going to be a poisoned chalice especially with that transfer ban, but Lampard had to take it as he will never get another opportunity like this again.

I personally think he will be fine, once he gets the other players back from injury they have a decent squad to have a go for top four.
  2. Aug 12, 2019

Welby5 New Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    And without an alltime great manager, where are Utd going over the coming years? Over the last 70 years, without the two genius managers, your club would have been one that wins a Cup here and there. Oh, and when Roman does move on, the club will not be sold to someone who owns a Fish & Chip shop in West London.
  3. Aug 12, 2019

Revan Assumptionman

That squad was horrible to be fair, it is midtable quality. How many players were they missing?

Hope he gets the full season, always liked him.
  4. Aug 12, 2019

Ace of Spades Full Member

I think people are underrating Chelsea here. Once Kante and Rudiger get back, their defending should improve a lot, and they have sa very strong midfield. Their attack is weak though.
  5. Aug 12, 2019

Sandikan aka sex on the beach

Which players out of interest?
    Willian and a centre back?
    They're really short this season
  6. Aug 12, 2019

antihenry CAF GRU Rep

Those who aren't fully fit or out injured are Kante, Rudiger, Willian, Loftus-Cheek, Hudson-Odoi and Reece James.
  7. Aug 12, 2019

Ducklegs Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

I know the “facts” of what players used to play for Chelsea, but rather than playing one upmanship, address the point I actually made, and not one you’ve made up in your head.
  8. Aug 12, 2019

iKnowNothing Full Member

I don't follow Chelsea all that much but aren't last two on your list relatively bit-part players? I'm not talking potential but I doubt the two combined got lot of minutes last season.
  9. Aug 12, 2019

cyberman Full Member

He's got the whole give excuse then say there isn't any excuses even though i just gave you excuses nonsense down to a T
  10. Aug 12, 2019

MartinRed New Member

If they are near top four by new year (5 to 7 points) Lampard probably would keep his job unless they collapsed.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2019
  11. Aug 12, 2019

2mufc0 Full Member

Hudson-Odoi was playing his first season so minutes were restricted, but is expected to make the step up this season. James was one of the best players in the championship last season, I think you will be hearing a lot about him once he gets fit.
  12. Aug 12, 2019

Castia Full Member

Don’t over exaggerate. ‘Outplayed by a bunch of kids for 60 minutes’....please.

For a start our squad was younger :lol: and whilst Chelsea started well, from the penalty onwards we were the better team by some distance.
  13. Aug 12, 2019

Welby5 New Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    You said the team put out yesterday was made up of the level of player we had before Roman's money, when the fact is we had far better players pre-Roman than what we currently have. And not just this season either! In the 6 or 7 years before Roman's money the club was consistently making excellent signings that saw the club win trophies and make steady progress. In recent years, with his money we've been signing far too many poor or very average players, which is why we've fallen away and where we are now.
  14. Aug 12, 2019

adexkola Arsenal supporter

The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
    The takeover happened over 10 years ago. What, clubs like Chelsea should know their place?
  15. Aug 12, 2019

Dancfc Full Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
  16. Aug 12, 2019

terraloo New Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    In terms of defending Rudiger is by far our best CD and indeed was missing and Kante who shields the back four was not fit enough to start and he came on when the game was as good as gone.

It would be churlish to argue against a 4-0 but having spent £13O million on defensive reinforcements for all our supposed weakness you allowed us far too many chances on another day had it been one all then we wouldn’t have needed to open up when chasing the game.

Having José as a pundit is one thing but his comments both prior to the game and after the event were weird indeed his criticism of Mount was way off for me indeed two far more experienced Pedro and Berkeley lost possession more than Mount so experience doesn’t guarantee anything add to that last week he was talking up Abraham and Zouma he clearly is playing some sort of game here.

We are still away from our first choice 11. The owner isn’t naive for whilst he won’t tolerate under a team under performing our managers get the sack when they don’t deliver expectations and no one will have been under any illusions at this point in time as to this seasons expectations.

They say footballs all about opinions but after one game to be making the sweeping judgements some seem to be doing is a little bit risky.
  17. Aug 12, 2019

Dancfc Full Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    I don't think anyone's really trying to take the moral victory, what we're contesting is this misguided fantasy that we played like a Championship side, which is utter ballacks.
  18. Aug 12, 2019

Casanova85 Full Member

Supports:
    Cruyff/SAF
    He'll be in deep serious trouble if he doesn't win a match before August is over. Losing the UEFA Supercup won't help him either.
  19. Aug 12, 2019

Gringo New Member

Supports:
    Portugal
    Depends how they lose the Super Cup. A narrow loss would be okay. Another heavy defeat would hurt them. Leicester at home is the true barometer
  20. Aug 12, 2019

Omahahaha Full Member

I think he will be afforded a lot of time. Way too early for sack watch.

He's a Chelsea legend, they had a transfer ban and a lot of injuries.

Also, it was not really a 4-0 Moyes-kind-of performance. Midfield looks strong enough, but losing is Hazard is massive.

It was interesting to watch both Chelsea and Arsenal yesterday, a lot of players that I barely ever watched before.

I think it will be the same teams for top 6 this year.
  21. Aug 12, 2019

Powderfinger Full Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    I don't see him getting sacked mid-season as the expectations are so low. Most of the supporters and the management seem to be viewing this year as a transitional one in which they primary goal is to bed in a bunch of young players and start creating the foundation for the next strong team. If they get top four, that is fantastic, but if not its not a major disappointment. So in that context you're not going to sack a club legend unless the results are midtable bad and/or the team is such a mess that you worry its hurting the ability to provide a platform for young players to grow.
  22. Aug 12, 2019

Wade3 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

The result didn't accurately reflect the game, that's for sure. They outplayed us up until that 2nd/3rd goal and could've been up 2-1 or even 3-1 at halftime. Not to take too much away from us, but I liked a lot of the things Chelsea showed tactically. He'll be fine.
  23. Aug 12, 2019

OverratedOpinion Full Member

You lost 4-0 and we are not a great side. Your defence definitely played like a championship defence.

I actually think you will do okay this season and think you have some really good young players but defending your team and how they "outplayed" the team that beat them 4-0 is completely reminiscent of the latter Wenger years.

If Utd lose 4-0 it is an absolute embarrassment and there is no excuse.
  24. Aug 12, 2019

RedPed Full Member

So long as they don't fully capitulate this season (which I'm sure they won't), Lampard will be fully backed in the transfer window next season and they'll go again. I think he'll get the whole season no matter what happens. Fans will never turn on him.
  25. Aug 12, 2019

golden_blunder Site admin. Manchester United fan Staff

Bayern we’re preparing to pay €40m for Hudson-Odoi and Reece James is a highly rated fullback. They’d definitely play under Lampard
  26. Aug 12, 2019

MVBDX New Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    No lies detected.
  27. Aug 12, 2019

HNK55 New Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Your kids? Don't you mean your starting 11? We were missing Rudiger, Kante, Willian and Pulisic from the start. I honestly believe we will finish above United this season. We were naive in the way we played but that penalty really saved United.
  28. Aug 12, 2019

Welby5 New Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    The so called Supercup is about as meaningful as the World Cup 3rd place playoff. I'd much rather have team on the training ground for the week.
  29. Aug 12, 2019

Welby5 New Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Considering the scoreline, there's been a good number of fair and positive comments from Utd and neutral fans. Surprising, but really nice to see.
  30. Aug 12, 2019

arthurka Full Member

Agree with this.. nothing tin can..
  31. Aug 12, 2019

Needham Full Member

Well, one does listen on aghast at that dreadful ska music which greets the entrance of their players and wonders, what, they're still here...?
  32. Aug 13, 2019 at 01:35

CHKBC New Member

Supports:
    Football
    Lampard was tactically naive during the second half of the match. Solksjaer switched to a counter-attacking style utilizing his speedy attackers and Lampard had no answer to that. Possession style football means nothing if the team can't defend during counters or have ruthless strikers.
  33. Aug 13, 2019 at 05:12

el3mel Full Member

Till you win it, then it will become suddenly important and a trophy.
  34. Aug 13, 2019 at 05:57

Bobcat Full Member

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
    Agreed. I know pundits and fans love it when teams who are chasing a goal throw everyone in attack, but it can often backfire badly, especially against teams with rapid attackers and he knew very well about the Pogba/Rashford threat
  35. Aug 13, 2019 at 05:57

OverratedOpinion Full Member

Our team was younger than yours, as was clearly the point.

You can think what you like, although I would imagine any opinions like that you form on the 13th of August are total guesses based on very little information. Especially when you have a new manager.

Still, 4-0 losses are totally acceptable for you apparently. As long as you spray the ball around a bit before it happens.
  36. Aug 13, 2019 at 06:09

UpWithRivers Full Member

To be fair both teams were tactically naive first half. There were more holes than a sieve in both teams. The goal changed it. Meant we could sit back and counter but they had to press.
  37. Aug 13, 2019 at 07:28

Dancfc Full Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    United fans have never tried to glorify bad results/defeats? That's certainly not true in recent years. After Spurs smashed you at Old Trafford last season we kept hearing how amazing you supposedly were in the first half, and lets not to forget all these supposed "unlucky" dropped points 16/17.

No one's saying the result ain't bad in itself, but sometimes a bit of context is needed.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 07:39
  38. Aug 13, 2019 at 09:54

blue blue Full Member

Supports:
    chelsea
    The chances of Chelsea beating Liverpool in Turkey are remote but if they did the victory would be of more importance to moral and Franks confidence than the well used trophy cabinet.
  39. Aug 13, 2019 at 10:18

Mb194dc Full Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Don't agree with first bit, Chelsea job comes up every year or two anyway. If he was doing a reasonable job with Derby or whoever, he would always be linked with it and could have got it in better circumstances. It did occur to me before we hired him, he might be being bought in as the "whipping boy" who the fans would tolerate as this season was always going to be quite tough....

I think with our full squad not injured, and with a system to get the best out of the players we have we could finish 5th and in the top 4 if other teams around us under perform.

It's basically the same squad as last year minus Hazard and Morata, plus Pulisic, which is a big hole. Not realistic to expect any manager to get top 4 given that.
  40. Aug 13, 2019 at 10:29

DWelbz19 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

I didn't realise Mount was so young (1999), I thought he was a bit older than that.

I know Hudson-Odoi is the shining gem of the Chelsea youth, but are any of the others expected to do big things by the Chelsea youth watching faithful?
  41. Aug 13, 2019 at 10:46

Dancfc Full Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Reece James at RB is the crown jewell of the academy. Over Odoi, Mount, Ruben, anyone.

OGS tried to nab him off us for £15m (his sister Lauren plays for your women's team) and had you been successful it would have been the steal of the decade.