Frank Lampard's Sack Watch / Sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

edgecutter

This job was always going to be a poisoned chalice especially with that transfer ban, but Lampard had to take it as he will never get another opportunity like this again.

I personally think he will be fine, once he gets the other players back from injury they have a decent squad to have a go for top four.

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
Unfortunately, City's ownership is structurally deeper. City are the knocked down and rebuilt plaything of a state regime that is likely to provide financial support until the regime itself either fails or passes onto a generation disinterested in football. Chelsea on the other hand are owned by an individual resource plunderer who kneels before his President in all respects other than the governance of his hobby sporting institution. The whore yacht follows the family yacht until he wants to invest his money in something else. That time is coming. Bye bye Chelsea.
And without an alltime great manager, where are Utd going over the coming years? Over the last 70 years, without the two genius managers, your club would have been one that wins a Cup here and there. Oh, and when Roman does move on, the club will not be sold to someone who owns a Fish & Chip shop in West London.

Revan

Assumptionman
That squad was horrible to be fair, it is midtable quality. How many players were they missing?

Hope he gets the full season, always liked him.

Ace of Spades

Nothing strange, that's what everyone seems to say, no?
"We should have lost, we beat a weak Chelsea team, but Liverpool beating 4:1 Norwich was world class and in continuity of last year, etc...".
What feds me up is that no one seems to acknowledge our really high ceiling, or the fact that Ole dynamically adapted to Lampard's high press during the whole game continuously... whatever, we have 8 days to enjoy and then we go for another win.
I think people are underrating Chelsea here. Once Kante and Rudiger get back, their defending should improve a lot, and they have sa very strong midfield. Their attack is weak though.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This job was always going to be a poisoned chalice especially with that transfer ban, but Lampard had to take it as he will never get another opportunity like this again.

I personally think he will be fine, once he gets the other players back from injury they have a decent squad to have a go for top four.
Which players out of interest?
Willian and a centre back?
They're really short this season

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You mean the days when we could only attract nobodies - Cudcini in goal. Gullit. Zola Vialli. Desailly. Lebeouf. Gallas. Lampard. Hasselbaink. Gudjohnson. Every one of those pre-Abramovich players would walk into the current team! Best to know the facts before having a dig.
I know the “facts” of what players used to play for Chelsea, but rather than playing one upmanship, address the point I actually made, and not one you’ve made up in your head.

iKnowNothing

Those who aren't fully fit or out injured are Kante, Rudiger, Willian, Loftus-Cheek, Hudson-Odoi and Reece James.
I don't follow Chelsea all that much but aren't last two on your list relatively bit-part players? I'm not talking potential but I doubt the two combined got lot of minutes last season.

cyberman

He's got the whole give excuse then say there isn't any excuses even though i just gave you excuses nonsense down to a T

MartinRed

If they are near top four by new year (5 to 7 points) Lampard probably would keep his job unless they collapsed.

Last edited by a moderator:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I don't follow Chelsea all that much but aren't last two on your list relatively bit-part players? I'm not talking potential but I doubt the two combined got lot of minutes last season.
Hudson-Odoi was playing his first season so minutes were restricted, but is expected to make the step up this season. James was one of the best players in the championship last season, I think you will be hearing a lot about him once he gets fit.

Castia

Thought we played very well until the penalty, then regain composure until the 2nd goal. We will learn from this.
I have accepted that this season will be a right off.
However I didnt see much better from United. They were outplayed by a bunch of kids for 60 minutes. United and Chelsea can keep each other company at the bottom of the so called top 6.
Don’t over exaggerate. ‘Outplayed by a bunch of kids for 60 minutes’....please.

For a start our squad was younger :lol: and whilst Chelsea started well, from the penalty onwards we were the better team by some distance.

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
I know the “facts” of what players used to play for Chelsea, but rather than playing one upmanship, address the point I actually made, and not one you’ve made up in your head.
You said the team put out yesterday was made up of the level of player we had before Roman's money, when the fact is we had far better players pre-Roman than what we currently have. And not just this season either! In the 6 or 7 years before Roman's money the club was consistently making excellent signings that saw the club win trophies and make steady progress. In recent years, with his money we've been signing far too many poor or very average players, which is why we've fallen away and where we are now.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
I think people are underrating Chelsea here. Once Kante and Rudiger get back, their defending should improve a lot, and they have sa very strong midfield. Their attack is weak though.
In terms of defending Rudiger is by far our best CD and indeed was missing and Kante who shields the back four was not fit enough to start and he came on when the game was as good as gone.

It would be churlish to argue against a 4-0 but having spent £13O million on defensive reinforcements for all our supposed weakness you allowed us far too many chances on another day had it been one all then we wouldn’t have needed to open up when chasing the game.

Having José as a pundit is one thing but his comments both prior to the game and after the event were weird indeed his criticism of Mount was way off for me indeed two far more experienced Pedro and Berkeley lost possession more than Mount so experience doesn’t guarantee anything add to that last week he was talking up Abraham and Zouma he clearly is playing some sort of game here.

We are still away from our first choice 11. The owner isn’t naive for whilst he won’t tolerate under a team under performing our managers get the sack when they don’t deliver expectations and no one will have been under any illusions at this point in time as to this seasons expectations.

They say footballs all about opinions but after one game to be making the sweeping judgements some seem to be doing is a little bit risky.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
You mean we were outplayed by a bunch of kids until our younger bunch of kids battered you 4-0? :)

Mad to see how much Chelsea have turned into Arsenal. Selling your best player, taking solace in "outplaying" your rival who beat you 4-0 because you passed the ball about a bit.
I don't think anyone's really trying to take the moral victory, what we're contesting is this misguided fantasy that we played like a Championship side, which is utter ballacks.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
He'll be in deep serious trouble if he doesn't win a match before August is over. Losing the UEFA Supercup won't help him either.
Depends how they lose the Super Cup. A narrow loss would be okay. Another heavy defeat would hurt them. Leicester at home is the true barometer

Omahahaha

I think he will be afforded a lot of time. Way too early for sack watch.

He's a Chelsea legend, they had a transfer ban and a lot of injuries.

Also, it was not really a 4-0 Moyes-kind-of performance. Midfield looks strong enough, but losing is Hazard is massive.

It was interesting to watch both Chelsea and Arsenal yesterday, a lot of players that I barely ever watched before.

I think it will be the same teams for top 6 this year.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I don't see him getting sacked mid-season as the expectations are so low. Most of the supporters and the management seem to be viewing this year as a transitional one in which they primary goal is to bed in a bunch of young players and start creating the foundation for the next strong team. If they get top four, that is fantastic, but if not its not a major disappointment. So in that context you're not going to sack a club legend unless the results are midtable bad and/or the team is such a mess that you worry its hurting the ability to provide a platform for young players to grow.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The result didn't accurately reflect the game, that's for sure. They outplayed us up until that 2nd/3rd goal and could've been up 2-1 or even 3-1 at halftime. Not to take too much away from us, but I liked a lot of the things Chelsea showed tactically. He'll be fine.

OverratedOpinion

I don't think anyone's really trying to take the moral victory, what we're contesting is this misguided fantasy that we played like a Championship side, which is utter ballacks.
You lost 4-0 and we are not a great side. Your defence definitely played like a championship defence.

I actually think you will do okay this season and think you have some really good young players but defending your team and how they "outplayed" the team that beat them 4-0 is completely reminiscent of the latter Wenger years.

If Utd lose 4-0 it is an absolute embarrassment and there is no excuse.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
So long as they don't fully capitulate this season (which I'm sure they won't), Lampard will be fully backed in the transfer window next season and they'll go again. I think he'll get the whole season no matter what happens. Fans will never turn on him.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Bayern we’re preparing to pay €40m for Hudson-Odoi and Reece James is a highly rated fullback. They’d definitely play under Lampard

HNK55

Supports
Chelsea
You mean we were outplayed by a bunch of kids until our younger bunch of kids battered you 4-0? :)

Mad to see how much Chelsea have turned into Arsenal. Selling your best player, taking solace in "outplaying" your rival who beat you 4-0 because you passed the ball about a bit.
Your kids? Don't you mean your starting 11? We were missing Rudiger, Kante, Willian and Pulisic from the start. I honestly believe we will finish above United this season. We were naive in the way we played but that penalty really saved United.

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
He'll be in deep serious trouble if he doesn't win a match before August is over. Losing the UEFA Supercup won't help him either.
The so called Supercup is about as meaningful as the World Cup 3rd place playoff. I'd much rather have team on the training ground for the week.

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
The result didn't accurately reflect the game, that's for sure. They outplayed us up until that 2nd/3rd goal and could've been up 2-1 or even 3-1 at halftime. Not to take too much away from us, but I liked a lot of the things Chelsea showed tactically. He'll be fine.
Considering the scoreline, there's been a good number of fair and positive comments from Utd and neutral fans. Surprising, but really nice to see.

Needham

The takeover happened over 10 years ago. What, clubs like Chelsea should know their place?
Well, one does listen on aghast at that dreadful ska music which greets the entrance of their players and wonders, what, they're still here...?

CHKBC

Lampard was tactically naive during the second half of the match. Solksjaer switched to a counter-attacking style utilizing his speedy attackers and Lampard had no answer to that. Possession style football means nothing if the team can't defend during counters or have ruthless strikers.

el3mel

The so called Supercup is about as meaningful as the World Cup 3rd place playoff. I'd much rather have team on the training ground for the week.
Till you win it, then it will become suddenly important and a trophy.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Lampard was tactically naive during the second half of the match. Solksjaer switched to a counter-attacking style utilizing his speedy attackers and Lampard had no answer to that. Possession style football means nothing if the team can't defend during counters or have ruthless strikers.
Agreed. I know pundits and fans love it when teams who are chasing a goal throw everyone in attack, but it can often backfire badly, especially against teams with rapid attackers and he knew very well about the Pogba/Rashford threat

OverratedOpinion

Your kids? Don't you mean your starting 11? We were missing Rudiger, Kante, Willian and Pulisic from the start. I honestly believe we will finish above United this season. We were naive in the way we played but that penalty really saved United.
Our team was younger than yours, as was clearly the point.

You can think what you like, although I would imagine any opinions like that you form on the 13th of August are total guesses based on very little information. Especially when you have a new manager.

Still, 4-0 losses are totally acceptable for you apparently. As long as you spray the ball around a bit before it happens.

UpWithRivers

To be fair both teams were tactically naive first half. There were more holes than a sieve in both teams. The goal changed it. Meant we could sit back and counter but they had to press.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
You lost 4-0 and we are not a great side. Your defence definitely played like a championship defence.

I actually think you will do okay this season and think you have some really good young players but defending your team and how they "outplayed" the team that beat them 4-0 is completely reminiscent of the latter Wenger years.

If Utd lose 4-0 it is an absolute embarrassment and there is no excuse.
United fans have never tried to glorify bad results/defeats? That's certainly not true in recent years. After Spurs smashed you at Old Trafford last season we kept hearing how amazing you supposedly were in the first half, and lets not to forget all these supposed "unlucky" dropped points 16/17.

No one's saying the result ain't bad in itself, but sometimes a bit of context is needed.

Last edited:

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Till you win it, then it will become suddenly important and a trophy.
The chances of Chelsea beating Liverpool in Turkey are remote but if they did the victory would be of more importance to moral and Franks confidence than the well used trophy cabinet.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea

Don't agree with first bit, Chelsea job comes up every year or two anyway. If he was doing a reasonable job with Derby or whoever, he would always be linked with it and could have got it in better circumstances. It did occur to me before we hired him, he might be being bought in as the "whipping boy" who the fans would tolerate as this season was always going to be quite tough....

I think with our full squad not injured, and with a system to get the best out of the players we have we could finish 5th and in the top 4 if other teams around us under perform.

It's basically the same squad as last year minus Hazard and Morata, plus Pulisic, which is a big hole. Not realistic to expect any manager to get top 4 given that.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I didn't realise Mount was so young (1999), I thought he was a bit older than that.

I know Hudson-Odoi is the shining gem of the Chelsea youth, but are any of the others expected to do big things by the Chelsea youth watching faithful?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I didn't realise Mount was so young (1999), I thought he was a bit older than that.

I know Hudson-Odoi is the shining gem of the Chelsea youth, but are any of the others expected to do big things by the Chelsea youth watching faithful?
Reece James at RB is the crown jewell of the academy. Over Odoi, Mount, Ruben, anyone.

OGS tried to nab him off us for £15m (his sister Lauren plays for your women's team) and had you been successful it would have been the steal of the decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.