Frank Lampard to Chelsea: Really?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
His IQ rating is 150 which puts him in top 0.5% people who are the most intelligent in the world. Albert Einstein had an IQ of 160.

IQ doesn't count for everything and his ability to make good decisions under pressure will be what defines his progress.

I would love Frank back at Stamford Bridge but not sure if the timing is great. For the last 3 mornings I've heard pundits saying he should take the position if it is offered because the chance may not arise again. After all the managers job at Chelsea doesn't come up very often.

There's a lot of nonsense and press talk about Sarri, Allegri and Lampard at the moment and much of it should be ignored.
As you say, it is nonsense - 11 managers in the last 11 years. The smart move for Lampard would be to let someone else come in, take the flack for the post-Hazard dip, and then take the job once he's more experienced and expectations have been lowered.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I mean who else would Chelsea realistically get?, squad is ageing, lost their best player, can't sign anyone till next summer. Not that they will attract many managers.
Yes we've got a lot of a problems at the minute but ageing squad? really?

We have only five 30 or overs in the whole squad and four have ready made replacements here already.

Skills

Snitch
As you say, it is nonsense - 11 managers in the last 11 years. The smart move for Lampard would be to let someone else come in, take the flack for the post-Hazard dip, and then take the job once he's more experienced and expectations have been lowered.
I don't think ambitious and successful people ever think like that.

RoyH1

He'd only be their manager for a year or two anyway, the way they go through managers. They get a placeholder to manage through their ban period; he get to help out his former club and gets big club experience that will result in him getting a juicy job somewhere else.

And if he pans out, they look like geniuses.

Havak

Pokemon master
It kind of makes sense to me from the perspective of:

1) They've just lost their best player
2) Have an incoming Transfer Ban which will probably ruin either this coming season or the one after
3) Their structure means they will almost certainly change the manager within three years anyway

Lampard is a club legend, he will raise the spirits of a club that on paper could be looking set to have one of their more average or bad seasons in recent times (time will tell of course). He could go in, probably have his hands tied in terms of transfers firstly because they'll have done the main ones or have them set up already before he gets there and the other season will see him banned from transfers. He will be far cheaper than practically any other manager they'd look at. He would basically be, in the kindest way, a two-year interim manager. They wouldn't be expected to challenge for the title, maybe just top four. He might actually be a success, but if not he'll be easier to get rid of come the end of the second season when they look for a top level manager and have money to blow on a few big players again. It kind of makes business sense in their current situation IMO. It is a possible risk they do badly but I'd be surprised if they fell below sixth - I think they could cope with that for the short-term. They're in very similar boats of United and Arsenal, with neither looking like going a massive investment themselves either. They can afford a lull and Lampard at the helm would make fans more accepting of it.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I don't think ambitious and successful people ever think like that.
In that they turn down potential job opportunities at organisations where the prospects are bleak? Happens often.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
In that they turn down potential job opportunities at organisations where the prospects are bleak? Happens often.
It depends on your outlook. If you think the prospects are bleak at Chelsea then maybe you shouldn't take the job. We do not know how Lampard views the prospects but he, and Jody Morris, know a lot about those players and are probably better placed than anybody to know how the club works. I'm pretty sure Frank will already have a relationship with Abramovich and the board.

I'm pretty sure Lampard will be fully aware of the effect the loss of Hazard will have on the team and would take steps to minimise that. Chelsea have lost their best player in the past and in fact when Lampard went to City his old club won the PL the following season.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
It depends on your outlook. If you think the prospects are bleak at Chelsea then maybe you shouldn't take the job. We do not know how Lampard views the prospects but he, and Jody Morris, know a lot about those players and are probably better placed than anybody to know how the club works. I'm pretty sure Frank will already have a relationship with Abramovich and the board.

I'm pretty sure Lampard will be fully aware of the effect the loss of Hazard will have on the team and would take steps to minimise that. Chelsea have lost their best player in the past and in fact when Lampard went to City his old club won the PL the following season.
Although Lampard was 36 and certainly no longer Chelsea's best player by the time he left in 2014.

If he gets offered the job he may well take it. But it may not be the best move for him given:
  • the loss of their best player Hazard whom all their attacking play revolves around
  • the transfer ban
  • the serious injuries to the emerging stars who'd come to the fore in such a scenario - Loftus-Cheek and Hudson-Odoi
  • the high expectations and trigger happy owner - 11 managers in 11 years
  • his own lack of experience
As I said, the next guy to come in has been set up to fail (relative to expectations) and will have limited tools to address the above challenges. The vacancy for the next manager in 12 months' time would be the best time for Lampard to move, when 4 of the 5 issues above will have been resolved to some degree.

Celoti23-81

Exactly the same situation we are in with Solskjaer! It's pure sentiment! Would Chelsea have been touting a manager from Derby that finished 6th in the Championship if wasn't Lampard! Doubt it!
Saying that, I'd wager Solskjaer to fail before Lampard, even with the transfer ban!

LindaChang

If he join Chelsea then we have 2 average managers in charge of 2 of the biggest clubs in the world.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Exactly the same situation we are in with Solskjaer! It's pure sentiment! Would Chelsea have been touting a manager from Derby that finished 6th in the Championship if wasn't Lampard! Doubt it!
Saying that, I'd wager Solskjaer to fail before Lampard, even with the transfer ban!
Are you really as excited about this as the number of exclamation points suggests?

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Although Lampard was 36 and certainly no longer Chelsea's best player by the time he left in 2014.

If he gets offered the job he may well take it. But it may not be the best move for him given:
  • the loss of their best player Hazard whom all their attacking play revolves around
  • the transfer ban
  • the serious injuries to the emerging stars who'd come to the fore in such a scenario - Loftus-Cheek and Hudson-Odoi
  • the high expectations and trigger happy owner - 11 managers in 11 years
  • his own lack of experience
As I said, the next guy to come in has been set up to fail (relative to expectations) and will have limited tools to address the above challenges. The vacancy for the next manager in 12 months' time would be the best time for Lampard to move, when 4 of the 5 issues above will have been resolved to some degree.
We'll have to wait and see but Chelsea get written off every year and manage to come out with something in the end. The dressing room is strong and they have a good new signing in Pulisic. He is an English speaking hard working attacking winger who could be just what the team needs. The loss of RLC and CHO will be a miss but they can come in later in the season. There are other options.

I'm happy either way. If Lampard comes all well and good. I think he's a smart new manager and hopefully in the Gareth Southgate mould that gets a few more youngsters involved. Tammy Abraham had a great season at Villa last year and could get a good run in the team. He's seems to be filling out a bit and has an eye for goal.

I'm not too worried if Sarri stays to be honest. He had success last year and I can only assume it's him that wants to leave. Maybe its all press speculation that completely out of control.

My only concern is that the club need to put all the speculation to bed soon. Last season they installed Sarri just before the season started and I think it cost them.

Celoti23-81

Are you really as excited about this as the number of exclamation points suggests?
No. Just think Solskjaer as permanent manager was not thought through! The last 12 games of last season is a sign of what might come.
I'm just worried he might be another defensive coach who relies on counter attacking football!
Lampard, I have not seen a lot of Derby's games last season, so hard to judge. But he will be there purely on sentiment rather than ability as manager!
I guess when you have hired so many managers over a short space of time you will eventually run out of managerial candidates. So you go a different approach that might work out for the worse!

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Weaste returns!

fastwalker

No. Just think Solskjaer as permanent manager was not thought through! The last 12 games of last season is a sign of what might come.
I'm just worried he might be another defensive coach who relies on counter attacking football!
Lampard, I have not seen a lot of Derby's games last season, so hard to judge. But he will be there purely on sentiment rather than ability as manager!
I guess when you have hired so many managers over a short space of time you will eventually run out of managerial candidates.
So you go a different approach that might work out for the worse!
Brilliant! Lampard to Chelsea would be a perfect example of a heart ruling the head appointment. A bit like Klopp resigning before the start of next season and Liverpool appointing Steven Gerrard as the new manager. Plain daft. Frank Lampard may indeed one day become a top manager and I actually hope he does, because I wish him well, but I cannot see what qualifies him to be Chelsea manager. What has he actually achieved? Even Robbie Di Matteo, another former player turned manager, managed to achieve promotion with West Brom before taking the Chelsea job.

Red For Ever

Get it right, we treat them like incredibly expensive hookers.
I think he will do well, despite being a United fan, I liked the effort and commitment he showed for Chelsea on the pitch, came across as an honest player trying his best. Comes across well and seems quite smart.

Losing Hazard band the transfer ban is a major problem for him or anyone else
Hope he does well except when playing United.

Hope the fans give him time and understanding. Not sure the people at the top will.

Fıstıkçı Şahap

Can't believe the sentimentality shown by some of the biggest clubs in the world including us too. With all the money in the world, all they end up with is their ex players. I'm sure there are much better tacticians than Ole & Fat Frank in the La Liga 2, Eredivisie or Serie B.

berbasloth4

dont know way but ive always had a soft spot for lampard always thought he class player conducted himself well.

wanted him to do well as manager, i think he is getting chelsea job to early but like solskjaer cant turn it down.

hope he fails now.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
It seems Sarri has actually gone now so the possibility of Frank returning gets a little closer.

It could be a bit too early for him and maybe Nuno Espirito Santo would be a safer bet but I just feel it's going to happen. Jamie and Harry Rednapp have both come out and backed him for the job and they should know.

The synergy is hard to ignore and Jody Morris's knowledge of the youth players could well help the squad through the transfer ban.

Discounting temporary managers, Glenn Hoddle was the last English manager to hold the reins at Stamford Bridge some 23 years ago. Could Chelsea be the club that starts a new trend of British managers and even players making a come back into the Premier League? Is this the Premier Leagues response to Brexit? Am I reading too much into this?

Yes.

Rendezvous with Ronaldo

Supports
Hartlepool
This is interesting to me. With managers, I think 2 things are true, especially in the last 20/30 years.

1) Most managers do the vast, vast majority of their learning/creativity while doing their training badges and in their first 3-5 years of management. After that, managers do not get much better - it's all about opportunity after that point as to whether they get big jobs. I promise you that there are managers in the lower leagues that could do as good a job as many premiership managers.

2) Managers after about 10/15 years in the game threaten to get left behind by innovation in management and coaching methods.

Lampard is a new manager and has recently done his coaching badges - for me that is an enormous positive. The negative is that he hasn't done much better than 'par' at Derby. He's been competent, but nothing more.

Yet, that can easily translate to being competent at a bigger club, and as a very new manager there's room for growth and improvement. In short, I think it's a good idea to give Lampard the job, although there is obviously risk attached.

fastwalker

This is interesting to me. With managers, I think 2 things are true, especially in the last 20/30 years.

1) Most managers do the vast, vast majority of their learning/creativity while doing their training badges and in their first 3-5 years of management. After that, managers do not get much better - it's all about opportunity after that point as to whether they get big jobs. I promise you that there are managers in the lower leagues that could do as good a job as many premiership managers.

2) Managers after about 10/15 years in the game threaten to get left behind by innovation in management and coaching methods.

Lampard is a new manager and has recently done his coaching badges - for me that is an enormous positive. The negative is that he hasn't done much better than 'par' at Derby. He's been competent, but nothing more.

Yet, that can easily translate to being competent at a bigger club, and as a very new manager there's room for growth and improvement. In short, I think it's a good idea to give Lampard the job, although there is obviously risk attached.
You speak a truth.

Lentwood

Managers do less now. Old school managers like Clough and SAF signed players, negotiated contracts, took training sessions (SAF not in latter years) and Clough even used to paint the stands and drive the coach at Hartlepool.

Now, managers are figureheads really but much of the actual 'work' is done by coaches, sports scientists, analysts, scouts, doctors, physio's, contract negotiators, cheif executives etc...etc...

I am not saying they are not important as they are (at least partly) responsible for setting the tone at the club in terms of style and man-management of the players. I am saying that they are now just one piece of the puzzle and the cult of the manager needs to stop. Put Klopp and Guardiola at United under our current structure and they would fail. Put Jose and LvG at City/Liverpool and they would almost certainly succeed

RedorDead21

Chelsea football club can carry average managers or those learning the ropes. Mainly because of the power of the players which has other negatives. United, on the other hand, couldn't carry an egg. If you ain't the manager of your generation....you're gonna fail here if history is anything to go by. A great club, but only when the greatest are at the helm. Otherwise....around 5th ha

blue blue

Supports
chelsea

Are there? I do not follow the lower leagues closely but know a bit about Brentford. They have had two good managers in recent years. Uwe Osler and Mark Warburton. Both very good managers but both have gone on to fail at bigger clubs. I just think those lower league managers are there for a reason. If you are good you get spotted and move up the leagues.

Lampard could stay at Derby but his opportunity to move up the league could come sooner than most.

Fıstıkçı Şahap

Not so sure about that. People always said that Moyes'd do a great job at a bigger club with more budget if he manages to do what he did at Everton with little to no money before he came to us but we all know how that experiment went. Managing big clubs is a different matter altogether.

Ed9

I can see why. If anyone can handle that dressing room it's him. Jose and Sarri couldn't.

Ed9

Which players do you think are problems in the Chelsea dressing room now?
No idea, maybe Kepa after that final. I just remember all the talk about your managers losing the dressing room.

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea football club can carry average managers or those learning the ropes. Mainly because of the power of the players which has other negatives. United, on the other hand, couldn't carry an egg. If you ain't the manager of your generation....you're gonna fail here if history is anything to go by. A great club, but only when the greatest are at the helm. Otherwise....around 5th ha
Your last bit about Utd' being a great club and their managers is very revealing and important.
It has indeed taken an alltime great in Busby and a one off genius in Fergie to win titles for them. In between them and post Fergie, they've never been more than good Cups sides.

Wulfric

Supports
Liverpool
Rafa would be the most sensible option they could go for. He has shown he doesn't need a WC squad to grind out results and compete with the best (Liverpool, and Newcastle to a lesser extent).
Glad they are not after him.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Lampard is exactly the manager that Chelsea need. No team has better young talent than Chelsea and Frank is the man who could promote that talent.

passing-wind

Lampard should be an exciting appointment for Chelsea fans.

Take into consideration what he's done at Derby they played good football, got Derby to the play off final (which is a miraculous achievement given it was his first managerial appointment win or lose) and was able to implement lots of youth players who had solid seasons under his tenure Mount, Tomori, Wilson etc. Not to expel Abraham's who had a good spell under Villa and could easily push Higuain out the starting 11 for the senior Chelsea team.

The key aspect to consider is that Lampard has an identity in his play and clear directive of coaching, as we saw against us they essentially played us off the park. Irrespective of Jose's management that's impressive considering the difference in calibre between the players.

Also to mention the ridiculous loan strategy how many youth prospects will have a chance under Lampard ? After decades Chelsea can finally make use of the club's resources and integrate a youthful team mixed with the experienced individuals in the squad given the transfer ban.

There's no real comparison to Ole, Solskjaer's tenure under English football has been below average, he got Cardiff relegated, had a disgraceful record to end our campaign and doesn't seem to really offer the team anything in terms of his vision. I'd sooner have more faith in Lampard if I was a follower of Chelsea than have faith in Ole given what has happened thus far. Unless Allegri is willing to take the reigns who's available ? Eddie Howe :lol: