Frank Lampard to Chelsea: Really?

Luke1995

Looks like the special one isn't that special anymore doesn't it ?

Didn't get the Madrid job and now looks like Chelsea won't be turning to him a third time!

From all the former players going into management I find Lampard to be the one with the highest possibility of suceeding at the top level, so Chelsea is being smart here.

0le

They have to be the jammiest club ever. It doesn't matter who they get, they manage to get results. Hopefully that changes with Hazard gone but honestly, they'll probably still do alright given their predicaments.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah.. doesn't matter who they get, at some point of the season they look like descending into chaos but then come through it, so whether Frank gets sacked or not they'll probably come out with a random trophy at the end of it and be fine. I can see them winning that January window appeal too.

CHKBC

If his name wasn’t Frank Lampard, he wouldn’t even be considered for the job considering Chris Wilder the Sheff Utd manager has done a far better job than Lampard with an even smaller Budget. Great player in his prime but I can only see a season of struggle for him especially with no incoming transfers.

saivet

Not that he hasn't done fine at Derby but it seems like people are overrating their season a bit. Derby have a reputation for getting into the play-offs and not going all the way. They made it to final this year but they were in the play-offs last year too.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
If his name wasn’t Frank Lampard, he wouldn’t even be considered for the job considering Chris Wilder the Sheff Utd manager has done a far better job than Lampard with an even smaller Budget. Great player in his prime but I can only see a season of struggle for him especially with no incoming transfers.
Of course his history with Chelsea is why he is being linked. Just like Ole at Man United, Zidane at Real Madrid (first time around) and Pep at Barca. History matters and a managers relationship with the club and the fans matters.

Classical Mechanic

Lampard should be an exciting appointment for Chelsea fans.

Take into consideration what he's done at Derby they played good football, got Derby to the play off final (which is a miraculous achievement given it was his first managerial appointment win or lose) and was able to implement lots of youth players who had solid seasons under his tenure Mount, Tomori, Wilson etc. Not to expel Abraham's who had a good spell under Villa and could easily push Higuain out the starting 11 for the senior Chelsea team.

The key aspect to consider is that Lampard has an identity in his play and clear directive of coaching, as we saw against us they essentially played us off the park. Irrespective of Jose's management that's impressive considering the difference in calibre between the players.

Also to mention the ridiculous loan strategy how many youth prospects will have a chance under Lampard ? After decades Chelsea can finally make use of the club's resources and integrate a youthful team mixed with the experienced individuals in the squad given the transfer ban.

There's no real comparison to Ole, Solskjaer's tenure under English football has been below average, he got Cardiff relegated, had a disgraceful record to end our campaign and doesn't seem to really offer the team anything in terms of his vision. I'd sooner have more faith in Lampard if I was a follower of Chelsea than have faith in Ole given what has happened thus far. Unless Allegri is willing to take the reigns who's available ? Eddie Howe :lol:
I tend to think that only Reece James is ready to do a job for them this year. Perhaps Tammy could but he has such a low bottom level he’ll have to hit the ground running.

duffer

Scout
I tend to think that only Reece James is ready to do a job for them this year. Perhaps Tammy could but he has such a low bottom level he’ll have to hit the ground running.
If Reece comes in then that's potentially 4 academy players in the first team (Christensen, RLC, CHO and James). Can't really ask for much more than that as a Chelsea fan!

Depending on what happens with Zouma I can see maybe Tomori sticking around and also Mason Mount (especially if we don't sign Kovacic).

Tango80

I don't think it's as bad as all that. Yes he's done OK at Derby, but they've always been in and around the playoffs so he's not really excelled.

But I like to see new managers get a chance, especially club legends. I feel like it was only a year or so ago when the same old names were being banded around, so it's nice to see new managers with fresh ideas.

Classical Mechanic

If Reece comes in then that's potentially 4 academy players in the first team (Christensen, RLC, CHO and James). Can't really ask for much more than that as a Chelsea fan!

Depending on what happens with Zouma I can see maybe Tomori sticking around and also Mason Mount (especially if we don't sign Kovacic).
Think Tomori will go on loan. Some talk of Celtic.

Thought you extended Kovacic’s loan already?

duffer

Scout
Think Tomori will go on loan. Some talk of Celtic.

Thought you extended Kovacic’s loan already?
Celtic? First I've heard of that. He'd be better of going back to Derby in my opinion.

As it stands, Kovacic's loan ends in 2 weeks. We will have Baka back so that's the league title wrapped up.

CHKBC

Of course his history with Chelsea is why he is being linked. Just like Ole at Man United, Zidane at Real Madrid (first time around) and Pep at Barca. History matters and a managers relationship with the club and the fans matters.
Like with Solskjaer, mixing up sentiment with ability is a highly risky matter. Will probably not end well for Lampard if he gets hired as the new Chelsea coach.

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
Looks like the special one isn't that special anymore doesn't it ?

Didn't get the Madrid job and now looks like Chelsea won't be turning to him a third time!

From all the former players going into management I find Lampard to be the one with the highest possibility of suceeding at the top level, so Chelsea is being smart here.
I think Terry is another who could be a good manager. Coach at promoted Villa. He was a great leader and also a very good reader of the game (which helped cover for his lack of pace) and that can only help him.

Luke1995

I think Terry is another who could be a good manager. Coach at promoted Villa. He was a great leader and also a very good reader of the game (which helped cover for his lack of pace) and that can only help him.
Most certainly. Managing people's emotions is key to being a good one and he always lead his team as a player.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Be interesting to see who has the better season Ole or Frank. If Chelsea have a similar season after losing their best player and with no transfers that would be very impressive from frank.

TheeAma12

Supports
Chelsea
For every Pep and Zidane you have the players that turn managers and fail. Pep and Zidane had world class squads. Pep traveled and learned under great tacticians.

Frank has just spent a year at Derby and didn't even get promotion. He is only being thought of because of the chelsea connections, fans think that because we have a tranfer ban we are going to be patient with frank, if the results are bad and we fail to secure top 4 he is fired.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Be interesting to see who has the better season Ole or Frank. If Chelsea have a similar season after losing their best player and with no transfers that would be very impressive from frank.
Yep. If they finish in the top 3 or 4 with no transfers and their best player gone it would be impressive. If Pogba stays and united grab some good players in the market and Lampard still finishes ahead it would be even more impressive. I don’t see that happening though with no new players coming in though.

We'll See Out There!

Perfect time for Chelsea to try Lampard now, with United and Arsenal both turd the he's not got much to do to get into the top 4.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Chelsea might not be allowed to sign anyone new but they have an absolute fecking army of players out on loan. I also think the squad they finished last season with is stronger than ours.

MagicKarpet

Supports
Tottenham
People seem to rely on Chelsea's previous history when they've been on the verge of a crisis and have come up smelling of roses and are trying to equate it to what will happen next season going forward, well sorry but no.

They've lost their most influential player by a mile
Lost their manager looks like will replace him with a rookie
Can't buy anyone this summer
No out and out goalscorer

So how are they going to push on next season, they've got every card stacked against them?

Lampard is a decent manager but hasn't been tested firstly managing big egos and secondly managing in a top division such as the Prem, in fact the more I think about it the more I expect it to go tits up - it's laughable tbh and Chelsea are probably the worst side in the league to manage as far as expectation and controlling ego's in the dressing room, it's a load of fekin nonsense if you ask me.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
For every Pep and Zidane you have the players that turn managers and fail. Pep and Zidane had world class squads. Pep traveled and learned under great tacticians.

Frank has just spent a year at Derby and didn't even get promotion. He is only being thought of because of the chelsea connections, fans think that because we have a tranfer ban we are going to be patient with frank, if the results are bad and we fail to secure top 4 he is fired.
True, wondering if he'll stay at Derby given circumstances.

Have been wondering if this saga could just be "optics".

Guess we'll find out this week.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
People seem to rely on Chelsea's previous history when they've been on the verge of a crisis and have come up smelling of roses and are trying to equate it to what will happen next season going forward, well sorry but no.

They've lost their most influential player by a mile
Lost their manager looks like will replace him with a rookie
Can't buy anyone this summer
No out and out goalscorer

So how are they going to push on next season, they've got every card stacked against them?

Lampard is a decent manager but hasn't been tested firstly managing big egos and secondly managing in a top division such as the Prem, in fact the more I think about it the more I expect it to go tits up - it's laughable tbh and Chelsea are probably the worst side in the league to manage as far as expectation and controlling ego's in the dressing room, it's a load of fekin nonsense if you ask me.
You've got a lot of good arguments but they don't count for shit when you're as jammy as they are

MarylandMUFan

No different than Ole getting the job at United. His managerial career certainly didn't merit the job but it could work out fantastically (or it could fail). Same with Lampard.

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea might not be allowed to sign anyone new but they have an absolute fecking army of players out on loan. I also think the squad they finished last season with is stronger than ours.

It doesn't matter how many we've got if they are not good enough to come in and play for a CL tream.
Bringing back decent players at low level clubs isn't exactly what we need to push on and try and catch up with City.

CHKBC

Both will have a torrid time next season, me thinks. But at least Man Utd can buy players. Chelsea can't buy and this also limits their selling activities.

MagicKarpet

Supports
Tottenham
It doesn't matter how many we've got if they are not good enough to come in and play for a CL tream.
Bringing back decent players at low level clubs isn't exactly what we need to push on and try and catch up with City.
Well that's just unrealistic, no one is catching City next season apart from Liverpool. If he can get you in the top 4 and possibly pick up some silverware although that's unlikely then he's done a great job but even if he gets top 4 then that would be fine and considering how horrible the Arsenal and Utd squads are then it's entirely possible.

This totally contradictics my earlier post mind you, it could all go tits up :D

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
Well that's just unrealistic, no one is catching City next season apart from Liverpool. If he can get you in the top 4 and possibly pick up some silverware although that's unlikely then he's done a great job but even if he gets top 4 then that would be fine and considering how horrible the Arsenal and Utd squads are then it's entirely possible.

This totally contradictics my earlier post mind you, it could all go tits up :D
Of course, Chelsea are not going to catch City next season. We're going to have to find a top class striker before we can even begin to close the gap. My point was about bringing back loanees who are not really good enough for us. We have probably 3 or 4 max, who we might consider using as fringe squad players. They might be better off staying on loan getting first team action.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Here's a post from a Chelsea forum that gives a different perspective from the general opinion on here regarding Lampard's appointment, thought I'd put it out there.

I can understand the apprehension of some over Lampard's lack of managerial experience but there are other areas of experience that can be tapped into as a player at the highest level. He played under a plethora of top managers, all with differing personalities, tactics, training drills and managerial styles - From Redknapp and Ranieri who shaped his development, to Mourinho who ingrained a winning mentality, to the likes of Hiddink and Ancelotti who were masters at managing big personalities and dressing rooms. He will have learned a huge amount, both positive and negative, from the experiences within his playing career.

His experience at Chelsea also has to count for something. It's not as straightforward as 'he knows the club and the fans' it goes far deeper than that. He understands from experience the external, intense media scrutiny that surrounds this club because so little information is provided into the open for journalists, creating constant destabilising speculation. He's experienced first hand the hectic nature of this football club in general, seemingly spiralling from crisis to celebration, from disaster to delirium. He's experienced the build up to big games, cup finals, champions league games, etc, the dressing room environment before and after such games and the experience of both winning and losing in those situations.

I'm fully aware that a top playing career doesn't translate to a top managerial career but there are experiences that a top player can call upon that can really help the cause. From the looks of things the other 'realistic' candidates available are the likes of Javi Gracia and Eddie Howe. The risk that they've never been involved in a big club environment, high pressure situations, etc makes them equally very risky appointments.

I want to see Lampard come in here and be given the time to develop some very young and exciting talent the club has in its ranks and look to play a more dynamic and aggressive brand of football to what has been experienced this season. If he consolidated us comfortably within the top 6 challenging for the top 4 next season and we were playing some good football with young players breaking through the ranks I would be happy with this. It would be a sign of taking a step back to potentially take two or three steps forward.

If the board would be happy with this, we can only speculate for now. If this is the moment the club realises a period of transition may be necessary for longer term success then that point must start somewhere.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
As Duffer pointed out in other thread, more Henry's and Neville's than Pep's and Zidanes out there.

Lampard could work out, who knows, could do a Zidane and lift the CL. Or could do a Neville and sacked by Christmas....

I would say from his perspective it looks a massive risk to me.

If you're going to take the Chelsea job having never managed a top flight game, could there be a worse time than when the best players has left, there is a transfer ban the entire season and you know you need an entirely new style of play (unless he's copying Sarri ball??).

The job would almost certainly come up again in 12 months, when no ban £100m+ to spend and some transition from Hazard done already.

Guess we'll see what happens.

Kapardin

As Duffer pointed out in other thread, more Henry's and Neville's than Pep's and Zidanes out there.

Lampard could work out, who knows, could do a Zidane and lift the CL. Or could do a Neville and sacked by Christmas....

I would say from his perspective it looks a massive risk to me.

If you're going to take the Chelsea job having never managed a top flight game, could there be a worse time than when the best players has left, there is a transfer ban the entire season and you know you need an entirely new style of play (unless he's copying Sarri ball??).

The job would almost certainly come up again in 12 months, when no ban £100m+ to spend and some transition from Hazard done already.

Guess we'll see what happens.
From Lampard's perspective, he may not be considered again if he lets this opportunity go, as Derby could well have a bad season or tie him to a contract that Chelsea are unwilling to buy out.

If he succeeds, it will be the biggest break in his career. If he doesn't, there will always be Championship clubs looking at his Derby experience to hire him again. So win-win for him really, to take the job now.

Pagh Wraith

The main thing to judge him on (and be more than skeptical about) should be his season with Derby. They finished 16th in the xG table and somehow fluked their way into the post-season. I haven't seen anything so far that qualifies him to be Chelsea manager. The club should do everything possible to get Allegri who is one of best in the world and if that is not possible look at other managers in the top divisions. I find Ralf Rangnick a more than interesting consideration.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Look at Henry and Neville management career now...

Taking over teams in tough position as big name with no experience can finish his career.

Zidane is similar, Castilla were bang average under him.

Difference is Zidane had Rafa tactical blueprint, and some of best players in world at their peaks. Mainly though they respected him and listened. Plus no transfer ban.

Very different in those two regards.

Wondering if we're setting Frank up to fail as season will be tough for any manager. At least easy for fans to take with Lampard in charge.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
Lampard would be a good appointment at this moment in time.

The expectations will be lower than normal for Chelsea next season, so I think the fans will be happy with a top four finish and a decent cup run. I think Pulisic will surprise people next season as well. His transfer has gone a bit under the radar, but he will provide some much needed pace to the Chelsea front line. Its clear Chelsea need a rebuilding job to get back to challenging for the major trophies, so maybe they will break the habit of a lifetime and actually give a young manager, and their young players a chance?