Frank Lampard to Chelsea: Really?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Hopefully he'll be successful.

Not just being brought as the whipping boy to appease us fans, this season could be a tough one!

Needham

Surprising choice. He's already shown at Derby he has no sense of gratitude or loyalty. He'll be off in a shot if Juve come calling.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Lampard is getting the job simply because we are riding out the ban seemingly and have to win the fans back after the Sarri tenure. (which is why the rafa link is total BS) Morris knows the youth better than most so can advise which 3 or 4 should come in (no more than that) No other reason. And i for one cant wait for it, excited tbh

Will get plenty of time i hope

Neville I don't really take into account because experienced managers went to Valencia after him and had just as shit of a record. Or close to

Henry i dont know what i expected, but then again I dont think hes that good of a pundit, either tbh, bores me to tears.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
If he gets the job, maybe it shows they want a manager who can manage on a small budget i.e. they don't expect any appeal against transfer bans to be upheld. At least that will stop them hijacking any deal we actually get over the line

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
We didn't even appeal to suspend the ban, just the ban in it's entirety, which will 99% fail.

No transfers, no Hazard, new tactical system required assuming no Sarri = no Sarri ball.

Wondering what the club have up their sleeves, of it's just to get Lampard in hope he's the new Zidane or if not a whipping boy the fans will tolerate....

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
We didn't even appeal to suspend the ban, just the ban in it's entirety, which will 99% fail.

No transfers, no Hazard, new tactical system required assuming no Sarri = no Sarri ball.

Wondering what the club have up their sleeves, of it's just to get Lampard in hope he's the new Zidane or if not a whipping boy the fans will tolerate....
I guess the plan will be to promote some of the younger players, which, as any United fan will tell you, is not a bad policy!

Holocene

How do the resident Chelsea fans feel about Lampard potentially managing them?

macheda14

Absolutely 0 of my chelsea supporting friends are happy with this. They love the idea, but they’re just worried he’s not ready and don’t want to have people calling for his head.

Revaulx

My Derby-supporting relatives were pretty impressed with him at the start; the football was significantly nicer to watch than it had been under Gary Rowett. It didn't stay that way though, and overall results didn't improve at all. They aren't happy that it looks like he's leaving, but that's more down to not wanting yet another managerial change than any great love of Lampard.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Like the others I am excited but also realise he is more or less totally inexperienced. He needs to be given time and if we finish mid table we need to support him and give him the war chest next season.

How the board see it is another matter. They must realise this is a decision made with the heart and hopefully will actually give him some time to learn on the job.

On the other hand negotiations may not go well and he could say no.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Wil probably end badly but it never ceases to amaze me how circumstances throw up these results. Look at Ole for an example. Things are planned and football just happens.

Revaulx

Like the others I am excited but also realise he is more or less totally inexperienced. He needs to be given time and if we finish mid table we need to support him and give him the war chest next season.

How the board see it is another matter. They must realise this is a decision made with the heart and hopefully will actually give him some time to learn on the job.

On the other hand negotiations may not go well and he could say no.
Really? It could equally be taken as a cynical ploy to keep the fans onside while the transfer ban is in force.

bonothom

The only saving grace from this summer, from a United point of view, is how Chelsea are falling apart. A transfer ban, lost their best player, their manager leaving and now an ex-player going to get the managers job. Hilarious, if United don't finish above Chelsea next season then it will have to have been the worst season since getting relegated.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Really? It could equally be taken as a cynical ploy to keep the fans onside while the transfer ban is in force.
I don't think Roman Abramovich would risk performances just to keep the fans happy. He is an ambitious owner with a real love for the club and football. Lampard is part of the Abramovich past and he wants him back because his heart is telling him it will work.

Revaulx

I don't think Roman Abramovich would risk performances just to keep the fans happy. He is an ambitious owner with a real love for the club and football. Lampard is part of the Abramovich past and he wants him back because his heart is telling him it will work.
Fair enough. It will be interesting to see how he fares, particularly compared to Ole.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I think he’ll do well for them.
Depends what the expectations are
Being realistic with the transfer ban and Hudson-odoi out for a good chunk of the season he will Have a team something like
.....................kepa..................
Azpi......luiz..........rudiger....Alonso
.............kante.......jorghino..........
Pulisic..........Barkley..........Willian
......................giroud....................

Caballero
Christiansen
Zapacosta
Ampadu
RL cheek
Pedro
Batshuai

blackman
Clark salter
Emerson
Drinkwater
Mount
Kennedy
Abraham

Of course Hudson odi will strengthen that when he comes back but that team will be overachieving to get a cl spot I think

And without cl the next season they may struggle to maintain kante plus all the players in bold must be a doubt to be there for a couple more seasons (also Hudson odoi has still not signed a new deal has he so can sign a pre contract with Bayern in January if that's what he still wants)

So that's something like up to 9 players to get when the transfer ban is lifted... (Possibly more as zapacosta and Emerson have not been a great success so far) and that is difficult under ffp to get that much quality in but almost impossible to see that many players coming into a squad and it not taking a bit of time to gel

If they set an ambition of Europa for a couple of seasons as they look to rebuild then yeah I can see them being a much stronger team in 3 years.... But Chelsea under the current ownership have not shown that kind of patience so far

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Depends what the expectations are
Being realistic with the transfer ban and Hudson-odoi out for a good chunk of the season he will Have a team something like
.....................kepa..................
Azpi......luiz..........rudiger....Alonso
.............kante.......jorghino..........
Pulisic..........Barkley..........Willian
......................giroud....................

Caballero
Christiansen
Zapacosta
Ampadu
RL cheek
Pedro
Batshuai

blackman
Clark salter
Emerson
Drinkwater
Mount
Kennedy
Abraham

You've missed out Zouma and Bakayoko. Also we might still sign Kovacic but I don't think we will.

JMack1234

Lunacy from Chelsea.

Say what you want about Ole but at least Ole has a proven track record of assembling and maintaining a successful squad at the level it needed to be successful at. Lampard has got one season in the championship where he did quite well but not certainly wasn't a resounding success.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Lunacy from Chelsea.

Say what you want about Ole but at least Ole has a proven track record of assembling and maintaining a successful squad at the level it needed to be successful at. Lampard has got one season in the championship where he did quite well but not certainly wasn't a resounding success.
You're right. Despite what I said about Lampard coming across as quite astute to be given such a big job given his lack of experience is pretty bizarre. Even more so when you consider that what he did during that same size short time period was a decent start to his managerial but nothing particularly spectacular.

duffer

Scout
You're right. Despite what I said about Lampard coming across as quite astute to be given such a big job given his lack of experience is pretty bizarre. Even more so when you consider that what he did during that same size short time period was a decent start to his managerial but nothing particularly spectacular.
Would you say that Lampard has much more or less experience than Pep or Zidane did when they took over at Barca and Real Madrid?

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Would you say that Lampard has much more or less experience than Pep or Zidane did when they took over at Barca and Real Madrid?
Ah I dunno. Look if you were to put me on the spot and ask do I think that Lampard has a good chance of making it as top class manager I would definitely say yes. It might not happen but he just seems to have something about him that suggests he may well have that inherent ability. That being said guys like Pep and Zidane and it's a he'll of a risk for Chelsea to take even at this stage. Mind you maybe he's born for this job in the same way that those other two club legends were for Barca and Real respectively.

Gazza

Chelsea are about to go through the one period in their recent history when fans will have reduced expectations, with the transfer ban. If ever you were going to take a chance on a young manager without blowing a squad rebuild, this is it. If Lampard shines, he’ll have proven himself worthy of spending some serious money when the ban is over. If he doesn’t, then fans will be patient with him and then the next man can make use of their whatever funds they have saved up.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
You've missed out Zouma and Bakayoko. Also we might still sign Kovacic but I don't think we will.
I thought Everton had an option on zouma they could exercise?
Thought bakayoko had another year on his loan
Thought kovacic like higuain wasn't an option due to the transfer ban?

All three would strengthen the squad if available though arguably not in the positions that seem most needed (attacking)

Is it still possible the ban is delayed via appeal to cas?

duffer

Scout
I thought Everton had an option on zouma they could exercise?
Thought bakayoko had another year on his loan
Thought kovacic like higuain wasn't an option due to the transfer ban?

All three would strengthen the squad if available though arguably not in the positions that seem most needed (attacking)

Is it still possible the ban is delayed via appeal to cas?
Everton have no option on Zouma. Baka is back at Chelsea.

Kovacic is registered with Chelsea until the end of the month. The ban is on registering new players so we are allowed to sign him if we do it soon.

I'm not really sure what's going on the the appeal, I've heard conflicting reports.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Thinking we're in for a surprise.

Mr A won't let Lampard come in as a whipping boy alone.

He's a winner and he doesn't think like that. The closest I can think of in his tenure is AVB. He won a treble with Porto though.

Not an average season in the championship!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Lampard is getting the job simply because we are riding out the ban seemingly and have to win the fans back after the Sarri tenure. (which is why the rafa link is total BS) Morris knows the youth better than most so can advise which 3 or 4 should come in (no more than that) No other reason. And i for one cant wait for it, excited tbh

Will get plenty of time i hope

Neville I don't really take into account because experienced managers went to Valencia after him and had just as shit of a record. Or close to

Henry i dont know what i expected, but then again I dont think hes that good of a pundit, either tbh, bores me to tears.
Do you want Zola kept on as part of the staff, apparently Lampard has the choice to keep him in.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Can't lose the fecking Super Cup to him. He'll have equaled Klopp on trophies and European trophys with a PL club in his first fecking match! :lol: