Frank Lampard's Sack Watch / Sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Champagne Football

They should stick with him. The likes of Werner, Ziyech and Havertz will need a full season of PL football to settle in.

Lampard has been unlucky that their prodigy young talent in Billy Gilmour has been constantly injured.

A midfield of Gilmour and Rice would take Chelsea to the next level. Lampard still needs to ship out a heap of deadwood signed by previous managers.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
From what I remember, Tuchel has been on Marina's list since a number of years. He'd also be a great fit with the squad, his former captain Thiago Silva already there and let's not forget he's the manager who got Pulisic started. I would be very surprised if it's not him, should they appoint a new manager.
Surely, it would be a very tough pill to swallow for a Chelsea fan to see their club legend sacked so quickly, and given so little time, after a good last season no less, but it is not looking good.
Chelsea fans know the game. I doubt we will see too many complaints.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
those on here seem to be pretty happy to lose him :lol:

not a lot of loyalty these days
Really? I haven't read all threads and posts so I couldn't say for sure, but what I read sounded like they're conflicted at least, and I'm sure Lampard failing would be very painful.
Maybe they're just under no illusions about the workings of their club so as not to allow themselves too much sentimentality?

El Presidente

I said this last season, Lamps had no pressure due to their transfer ban at the same time as losing Hazard. This year is a whole new ball game.

Imagine they get Bielsa... That could be interesting although I doubt he'd leave Leeds.
I don’t need to imagine it because Bielsa and Abramovic is a relationship that would last about 14 minutes.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Really? I haven't read all threads and posts so I couldn't say for sure, but what I read sounded like they're conflicted at least, and I'm sure Lampard failing would be very painful.
Maybe they're just under no illusions about the workings of their club so as not to allow themselves too much sentimentality?
tbf I haven't seen many actually calling for his head but likewise in recent weeks I haven't seen too many saying to give him a chance either seems if he's sacked he's sacked and they'll just ride the cycle until they get it right again. The Chelsea way so like you said they're probably just used to it

Jericho

They should stick with him. The likes of Werner, Ziyech and Havertz will need a full season of PL football to settle in.

Lampard has been unlucky that their prodigy young talent in Billy Gilmour has been constantly injured.

A midfield of Gilmour and Rice would take Chelsea to the next level. Lampard still needs to ship out a heap of deadwood signed by previous managers.
From a Utd perspective I wholeheartedly agree, they should definitely stick with him.

Arsenal should stick with Arteta too.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

:rolleyes: Rice and Gilmour? Really?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Seems Lampard suited the team last year with up and coming kids from our academy as the core of the team. 4th was a very credible achievement.

We've got worse after spending big money. Hasn't worked at all.

charlenefan

The problem Lampard has now (among others) is even those who got him out of the shit last season are looking awful now, Pulisic being a case in point. I was never convinced by Pulisic's pre lockdown form but what he put in post lock down was undeniable but look at him again now, back to that pre-lockdown form

A few weeks ago I could pick a Chelsea side that might not have had the star names in but it would of done better than they were, those players I would have picked then though now look as rubbish as the big money flops

The good thing for Lampard though is that their upcoming games aren't all that bad

Smores

He has the pieces to play winning football already, it's not like you're going to get a star player come in and change the form like Bruno did for us. Think it'll have to be the manager changed.

tomaldinho1

Well I certainly dont think he himself would have chose Thiago Silva, Malang Sarr or Mendy for sure. Chilwell yes. Ziyech yes. Werner and Havertz possibly club signings
That is a heck of a lot of very different players. Feel like the transfer ban lifting actually screwed him - not sure why you don't just play Werner off Giroud and play 4-4 fecking 2 given how things are going.

charlenefan

worrying he pointed to the game against Leeds as a game where he felt they were good, they were outplayed for the first half of that game (deservedly won based on the 2nd half though)

Josep Dowling

He’s done what too many Chelsea managers do. Buy loads of players unnecessarily. Has Werner even started as the main striker yet?

Why buy loads of attacking options when the defence is what needed sorting out? Like a kid in a candy store and wasted millions in the process.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
He’s done what too many Chelsea managers do. Buy loads of players unnecessarily. Has Werner even started as the main striker yet?

Why buy loads of attacking options when the defence is what needed sorting out? Like a kid in a candy store and wasted millions in the process.
I'm guessing Chelsea looked at the pandemic as a good time to buy - most teams (i.e those not financed by a Russian oligarch) were suffering financially and that meant less competition for players they wanted, as well as conceivably better deals from selling clubs worried about their finances as well.

Not a bad idea to be honest, unless you are going to use that money for example to buy one of Europe's most prolific poaches only to stick him out on the left-wing.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
worrying he pointed to the game against Leeds as a game where he felt they were good, they were outplayed for the first half of that game (deservedly won based on the 2nd half though)
Well, we also put up the most xG in that game that any team in the PL has managed this season. We absolutely thrashed them and were desperately unlucky to only win by 2.

Wilt

Good thing is Poch isn't around otherwise Chelsea would have lucked into a good manager.
Yep agreed, the media would have been full of Poch to Chelsea and I reckon Poch would have accepted.

Indeed, I think given the choice Poch would have preferred Chelsea over PSG.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I will say that I doubt that very much.
Neymar, Mbappé, Di Maria, Icardi and Verratti vs Werner, Pulisic, Havertz, Giroud and Jorginho? Tough choice.

VivaRonaldo85

So many shiny new toys but the kid feels happier playing with the brown box they came in. Abramovich is ruthless and I’d be worried if I was Lampard based on the owners approach to the previous long list of Chelsea manager’s.

peridigm

Yep agreed, the media would have been full of Poch to Chelsea and I reckon Poch would have accepted.

I think his chances of staying at PSG longer are greater than they would be at Chelsea. Chelsea have had 148 managers since Roman took over.

RyRoc

He did a very good job of getting them into the top four last year, don't think that can be disputed. But you can't spend 200 odd million in a summer and look significantly worse and keep your job for too long. Last season I thought they played some good progressive football going forward where they combined passing through the lines and also good low crosses but defensively they were abject. This season they don't look much better defensively but going forward I have no idea what they are trying to do especially in the last 4 or 5 weeks.

Wilt

I will say that I doubt that very much.
Neymar, Mbappé, Di Maria, Icardi and Verratti vs Werner, Pulisic, Havertz, Giroud and Jorginho? Tough choice.
There‘s a lot of prima donnas at PSG which don’t always make the greatest team.

Chelsea have a lot of youngsters who Poch could nurture ...and of course Poch is aware of the Prem opposition.

Flying_Heckfish

Recently his team selections have been very weird. The new signings in attack haven't really worked - in this scenario I'd expect a manager with his back against the wall to revert to the original plan and play the kids/academy grads... at least then he can say he got fired for his principles. But what's actually happened is he's questioning his own reasoning, bringing Rudiger back for example is bizarre, and highlights his confusion.

On Poch, don't forget he played for PSG too. So going there was an obvious choice on more than one level.

Crashoutcassius

I have to say, I posted as recently as 2 weeks ago that he has done okay and really meant it

I thought they really looked clueless tonight when 2-0 down.

I don't know whether they should stick with him, but from my perspective things are getting worse and usually a manager doesn't survive that

They have got their summer incredibly wrong, signed players with no clue how they fit in bar maybe silva and chilwell. Talk of signing a 9 now probably has Tammy wanting out, Werner isn't an out and out striker and never has been, their golden generation need to play and are now blocked.

I honestly think they would be higher in the league if they didn't sign any of the three attacking players in summer and built on what they had last season.

But all in all I really feel like it is gone for Frank, they are spiralling down. United fans have seen this with managers in the last few years. Funny thing is that with some clubs they need a Jan signing, Frank probably needs a few Jan injuries so he can galvanise the attacking players that get a run in the team. Maybe I am way off there

Crashoutcassius

He did a very good job of getting them into the top four last year, don't think that can be disputed. But you can't spend 200 odd million in a summer and look significantly worse and keep your job for too long. Last season I thought they played some good progressive football going forward where they combined passing through the lines and also good low crosses but defensively they were abject. This season they don't look much better defensively but going forward I have no idea what they are trying to do especially in the last 4 or 5 weeks.
Totally agree. They just look so clueless with the ball. There was a wierd moment around the 75th minute today when reece james was being pressed in centre mid, knocked it back to left back where kovacic recieved it and had no forward pass on and had to beat to players and chilwell was standing at centre back. It really looked like they were playing with 9 players. Might lend credibility to what Frank said, players not working and not showing, but why and what is going on

RUCK4444

I have to say, I posted as recently as 2 weeks ago that he has done okay and really meant it

I don't know whether they should stick with him, but from my perspective things are getting worse and usually a manager doesn't survive that

They have got their summer incredibly wrong, signed players with no clue how they fit in bar maybe silva and chilwell. Talk of signing a 9 now probably has Tammy wanting out, Werner isn't an out and out striker and never has been, their golden generation need to play and are now blocked.

I honestly think they would be higher in the league if they didn't sign any of the three attacking players in summer and built on what they had last season.

But all in all I really feel like it is gone for Frank, they are spiralling down. United fans have seen this with managers in the last few years. Funny thing is that with some clubs they need a Jan signing, Frank probably needs a few Jan injuries so he can galvanise the attacking players that get a run in the team. Maybe I am way off there
Yeah agree with that. They’ve gone a bit crazy and signed too many players without considering the players hat were good last season and how these new players fit in.

It’s hard to integrate so many new players at once, it should be built a bit more organically, a decent example is our team now and the rebuild Ole is doing, relatively slow and steady.

You throw four or five new players in at once and it a bit of a mess unless you are a very good coach indeed and lucky enough that they’ve all settled in and hit the ground running.

I don’t remember a side putting in that many new players are once and making it work straight away, perhaps there is an example but I can’t think of one.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Totally agree. They just look so clueless with the ball. There was a wierd moment around the 75th minute today when reece james was being pressed in centre mid, knocked it back to left back where kovacic recieved it and had no forward pass on and had to beat to players and chilwell was standing at centre back. It really looked like they were playing with 9 players. Might lend credibility to what Frank said, players not working and not showing, but why and what is going on
I think it's down to Lampard's poor management of the squad. It seems to be completely arbitrary who gets picked and who doesn't - there's a specific moment here when we were flying before it all turned. We had the 0-0 with Tottenham where Tammy missed a couple good chances and overall should have scored. Then we had a dead(ish) rubber match in the CL where Sevilla played their backups and Giroud scored 4 goals. And from that point on, Giroud was apparently our first choice striker despite the fact that Tammy had played very well all season and had earned that spot.

If your team selection isn't a meritocracy, then players will stop trying as hard. Lampard has persisted with poor performers for arbitrary reasons (e.g. vs Fulham Jorginho, Azpilicueta, Giroud, etc started because they are "leaders").

There was also a moment today when Havertz received a (very rare) pass between the lines, turned, and then saw that all three other attackers had run directly forward instead of actually trying to combine. For me, this is the most damning sign - it's proof that we have no attacking structure in place and that's down to Lampard.

OhGee

If im Abramovic why would I want to throw more good more after bad. Spent over 200 million in the summer only to see the team regress in performance. No, he’ll be looking at bringing in a new manager in very soon

Tapori

I think it's down to Lampard's poor management of the squad. It seems to be completely arbitrary who gets picked and who doesn't - there's a specific moment here when we were flying before it all turned. We had the 0-0 with Tottenham where Tammy missed a couple good chances and overall should have scored. Then we had a dead(ish) rubber match in the CL where Sevilla played their backups and Giroud scored 4 goals. And from that point on, Giroud was apparently our first choice striker despite the fact that Tammy had played very well all season and had earned that spot.

If your team selection isn't a meritocracy, then players will stop trying as hard. Lampard has persisted with poor performers for arbitrary reasons (e.g. vs Fulham Jorginho, Azpilicueta, Giroud, etc started because they are "leaders").

There was also a moment today when Havertz received a (very rare) pass between the lines, turned, and then saw that all three other attackers had run directly forward instead of actually trying to combine. For me, this is the most damning sign - it's proof that we have no attacking structure in place and that's down to Lampard.
How do you solve your midfield? Do you think it's a problem?

Brad2020

To whom the bells toll for Frank Lampard....I don't think he has a good personal connection with his players say like someone like Oli or Arteta has, they don't seem to come out and play for him.

So...I imagine only a matter of time now.

Of course the longer he stays in the job, the better it is for United fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.