Frank Lampard's Sack Watch / Sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojan11

I can't really fault him for leaving Derby to become Chelsea manager but ideally he should have gained experience with Derby, possibly got them a promotion and then he might have been better prepared for a big job.
Derby had a lot of loan players and no money. If they won the playoff final, he would have stayed. But it was only going to be downhill for them after they lost, so he would have ended up getting sacked from there and losing his managerial rep before it started.

Withnail

But 18 months is nothing - given that for the first chunk of that he couldn't get players in. I did say Abramovich is a maniac!
18 months isn't nothing and if rumours are to be believed it wasn't a happy squad.

Statement pretty much said it all. They had no reason to believe things were going to improve.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
No, he did not. Them scrapping fourth place on the last day is not overachieving considering they had the third-best squad in the league last season. They also had a massive point advantage over us in January and yet finished below us.
3rd best squad? Pre-season everyone had us in 7th or 8th and justifiably so. Lampard did a great job last season considering the circumstances, but the remit for this year changed. He got us from A to B but has proved unable to take us from B to C.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Derby had a lot of loan players and no money. If they won the playoff final, he would have stayed. But it was only going to be downhill for them after they lost, so he would have ended up getting sacked from there and losing his managerial rep before it started.
He still would have benefited from the Chelsea loan system had he stayed.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
To quit on him now just seems daft, because what was Roman actually expecting from him? Instant success and winning the title?
Theres a middle ground between that and where Chelsea are.

The sacking is too soon for me but we're 9th and playing like shit. It's not just about the "lack of instant success."

Judas

Open to offers

The sacking is too soon for me but we're 9th and playing like shit. It's not just about the "lack of instant success."
Fair. It does sound like the harmony in the squad was a wreck. As much as things with Ole haven't always been rosey, it seems like things on the inside have always been mostly positive even at our lowest points, which to me were lower than you went with Frank. You've never been losing 2-0 at home to Burnley low that we had last January.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
Celtic might be a nice place for Frank to re-establish himself. I think Lennon is on his last legs.

I’m not sure how much involvement the Head Coach has at Chelsea in regards to transfer policy. I can’t see Frank opting for someone like Mendy for example.

dev1l

I think main reason was that he lost the dressing room. it makes the owners having to chose between changing the players or changing the coach. Owners will always go for the least expensive :)

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Ziyech has been excellent in my opinion
I don't think so, he absolutely pales in comparison to the other attacking midfielders in the league who are meant to be his peers.
5 vs 19 (Fernandes) 8 (Grealish) 4 (de Bruyne)
3 vs 9 (Fernandes) 8 (Grealish) 17 (de Bruyne)
1.2 vs 2.9 (Fernandes) 3.4 (Grealish) 3.0 (de Bruyne)
0.1 vs 0.3 (Fernandes) 0.1 (Grealish) 0.2 (de Bruyne)
6.81 vs 7.50 (Fernandes) 7.70 (Grealish) 7.64 (de Bruyne)

caid

Fair. It does sound like the harmony in the squad was a wreck. As much as things with Ole haven't always been rosey, it seems like things on the inside have always been mostly positive even at our lowest points, which to me were lower than you went with Frank. You've never been losing 2-0 at home to Burnley low that we had last January.
Chelsea have a much, much better squad than we had at that point. Someone posted our lineup from roughly this time last season a page or two back. The teams are worlds apart so the Solskjaer comparison isn't that relevant.

Bojan11

3rd best squad? Pre-season everyone had us in 7th or 8th and justifiably so. Lampard did a great job last season considering the circumstances, but the remit for this year changed. He got us from A to B but has proved unable to take us from B to C.
Nonsense.

We had a good starting eleven but after that, it was nothing and that was only when Bruno came in January. We were starting Lingard and Andreas as our creative playmakers ffs. Not forgetting Pogba, Martial and Rashford all got injuries. So we were at our barebones. You had a nice points cushion over us in January and threw it away. You should have finished in the top four comfortably and not on the final day.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
I don't think so, he absolutely pales in comparison to the other attacking midfielders in the league who are meant to be his peers.
5 vs 19 (Fernandes) 8 (Grealish) 4 (de Bruyne)
3 vs 9 (Fernandes) 8 (Grealish) 17 (de Bruyne)
1.2 vs 2.9 (Fernandes) 3.4 (Grealish) 3.0 (de Bruyne)
0.1 vs 0.3 (Fernandes) 0.1 (Grealish) 0.2 (de Bruyne)
6.81 vs 7.50 (Fernandes) 7.70 (Grealish) 7.64 (de Bruyne)
If you were up against him, you’d always just be looking to push him onto his right foot. He’s too one footed to be considered an elite player. You can’t doubt that left foot is a wand though. He’s more similar in comparison to a Mahrez etc, than a Fernandes, Grealish or KDB.

Glorio

Yes he's been one of our best players, dressing room needs to be seen as fair by the squad though. That has been the problem.

Certain players, Giroud last year, Jorginho, Rudiger and currently Alonso have been dropped for months on end for seemingly no sporting reason at all.
Agree with this (the bolded part)

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Nonsense.

We had a good starting eleven but after that, it was nothing and that was only when Bruno came in January. We were starting Lingard and Andreas as our creative playmakers ffs. Not forgetting Pogba, Martial and Rashford all got injuries. So we were at our barebones. You had a nice points cushion over us in January and threw it away. You should have finished in the top four comfortably and not on the final day.
I mean, you're welcome to go back to the pre-season predictions thread before last year. No one had us top 4, let alone with the 3rd best squad.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Feels harsh sacking him, his signings haven’t worked but they’ve only been there for a few months. I suppose the next 10 or so weeks will tell if it was the right thing to do.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Chilwell and Pulisic were expensive signings, so it couldn’t be the problem. They were sort of expected to be selected...
Pulisic's continued selection this year at the expense of CHO has been utterly baffling. Proof positive that Lampard hasn't been selecting on the basis of merit, which has had ripple effects in the squad.

Also slightly unrelated but apparently his training sessions are absurdly intense and may have had to do with our extremely poor form of late - the players are being overworked.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

duffer, he's got over a 30% loss rate in the league, under 50% win rate. That's simply not good enough for Chelsea. He's shown no signs of being able to turn it around either, defense is still an issue for you guys and his best run in the league is 9 games undefeated where he drew 4 of them. This goes beyond just this season imo, it goes back to last season when despite you getting to 4th eventually there was deep, deep flaws in your playing style and results. The fact his teams lose so many times is a really bad sign. I'd feel proud that Roman actually gave a complete novice a go at the club, i'm staggered he got the job in the first place.

Before people bring up the comparison with Ole, by 57 games Ole was deep into his 2nd long unbeaten run at the club and had lost 5 games less than Lampard. There is no comparison between the two Managers. I'm just a little surprised Frank outlasted Arteta honestly.

arnie_ni

Although it's the right thing to do feels a bit sad now it's actually happening.

He deserves immense credit for his squad building, unfortunately he simply didn't have the tactical nous to make full use of it himself but the squad we've got now is levels above what he inherited.
Half the players he bought are shite

tomaldinho1

Really brutal. If they had just finished it at the "not met expectations" bit, it would have been fine. The personal statement from Abramovich himself was great, but the bit that the club put in was poor.

We signed Maguire, Wan-Bissaka and James at that point, losing Lukaku, Smalling, Herrera, Valencia, Sanchez and Darmian, spending about €70M net.

Chelsea brought in a lot more first team players, spending around €200M net.

We didn't have the squad depth with the players we lost. Prime example being this 1:0 defeat away to Newcastle

The signing of Bruno in January was huge as we just didn't have the player capable of providing the creativity. We had Pogba in the squad but he wasn't providing at the time.
I think as situations go between different football clubs they are comparable. Both didn't have elite level managerial experience, both are beloved former players and both started their first full season where they are bringing new players poorly. United stuck with Ole, backed him with Bruno and (fingers crossed) it looks like the right decision at the moment. There was a huge section of United fans who wanted Ole out and I think it will be interesting to see how Chelsea fare now by taking the action many posters on the caf wanted, sacking ole and bringing in an experienced coach (more likely most wanted Poch not Tuchel but the latter was definitely mentioned).

Last season neither squad was as stacked as City's (who generally set the bar in this area most seasons) but you'd be hard pressed to name another team with more depth than United/Chelsea last season. Even Liverpool arguably had less/the same but were unbelievably lucky with injuries. This isn't a pro/con Lampard/Ole post it's simply saying it will be very interesting to now watch how things develop for them, in a situation that could well have happened to us last year around the same time in the season.

Godfather

Well feck. Hopefully Tuchel will need some time to adapt. That's a big upgrade on Lampard though.

Classical Mechanic

The Athletic say Frank fell out with the CEO over Kepa as he wanted to bin him and she wanted to keep him and that Frank didn't speak to the players in general, was a remote figure and lost the dressing room.

Lee565

Liverpool should be very worried about Chelsea gaining a new manager bounce as they could find themselves in a real fight for 4th spot

Alemar

Also slightly unrelated but apparently his training sessions are absurdly intense and may have had to do with our extremely poor form of late - the players are being overworked.
That’s hard to comment on. We don’t even know much about United training sessions, let alone Chelsea’s :)

El Zoido

The Athletic say Frank fell out with the CEO over Kepa as he wanted to bin him and she wanted to keep him and that Frank didn't speak to the players in general, was a remote figure and lost the dressing room.
The fallout has started already and it’s not putting Frank in a good light. Seems like he was well out of his depth at this level.

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

They will all disagree with it, but there’s definite hypocrisy here too. The media would certainly be campaigning for a foreign manager to be sacked in the same circumstances. They have tried to get every manager sacked at United since Fergie, with the exception of Moyes who they were willing to ‘give time’. This includes campaigning against Mourinho following a second placed finish.
The press basically hounded Sarri out the job and advocated for Frank to get the job in the first place. You're spot on.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Could see it. Not just Kepa the issue though that is for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.