Television Frasier Appreciation Thread

Yagami

Kira did nothing wrong
Dr. Frasier Crane is officially coming back.
Kelsey Grammer is confirmed to reprise his role as the Seattle psychiatrist turned radio host in a reboot of long-running comedy Frasier for Paramount+.
The revival is being announced by Julie McNamara at ViacomCBS’ launch of the streaming service.
The new incarnation of Frasier comes from writers Chris Harris (How I Met Your Mother) and Joe Cristalli (Life In Pieces), who will exec produce with Grammer. The series will be produced by CBS Studios in association with Grammnet Productions.
“Having spent over 20 years of my creative life on the Paramount lot, both producing shows and performing in several, I’d like to congratulate Paramount+ on its entry into the streaming world,” said Grammer. “I gleefully anticipate sharing the next chapter in the continuing journey of Dr. Frasier Crane.”
Paramount+ didn’t reveal any other talent for the reboot, although Deadline understands that Hyde Pierce, who played Frasier’s brother Niles, has also been approached about returning.
The streamer didn’t set a date for the series, but given that Grammer is starring in an ABC multi-camera comedy alongside Alec Baldwin from Modern Family co-creator/executive producer Chris Lloyd and Vali Chandrasekaran, it’s unlikely that the new instalment gets underway until 2022.

Sparky_Hughes

Navvarax
Not a fan, Niles is an irritating little wet wipe, and Frasier is such an unlikable gobshite of a character, just like Kelsey Grammer himself, the entire program makes me want to rage rip my eyeballs out.

Berbasbullet

Huge fan but Christ maybe just leave it? :lol:

Bertie Wooster

Frasier is my second favourite sitcom of all time (just behind Seinfeld).

I loved the first 4 series. Really liked the next 3. But found the final 4 series increasingly hard to watch and now only watch the repeats up until the end of series 7.

The show was at its best in the first 4 series. When it primarily focused on the family relationship between Frasier, Niles and Martin - and the Niles / Daphne sub plot was more in the background and Roz was a harder, sarcastic character without a child and who had some great lines.

It went downhill when Daphne found out about Niles' love for her and her tone of voice became increasingly hard and sneery; Roz had a child and it softened her character and she was less sarcastic; Niles started doing too much slapstick comedy; and they introduced Daphne's awful family with terrible accents - especially her mum who was in it way too much.

I love the early series of the show so much that it's my second favourite sitcom. But I really hate how bad it became by the final few series.

Salt Bailly

Net Cord Enthusiast
Frasier is my second favourite sitcom of all time (just behind Seinfeld).

I loved the first 4 series. Really liked the next 3. But found the final 4 series increasingly hard to watch and now only watch the repeats up until the end of series 7.

The show was at its best in the first 4 series. When it primarily focused on the family relationship between Frasier, Niles and Martin - and the Niles / Daphne sub plot was more in the background and Roz was a harder, sarcastic character without a child and who had some great lines.

It went downhill when Daphne found out about Niles' love for her and her tone of voice became increasingly hard and sneery; Roz had a child and it softened her character and she was less sarcastic; Niles started doing too much slapstick comedy; and they introduced Daphne's awful family with terrible accents - especially her mum who was in it way too much.

I love the early series of the show so much that it's my second favourite sitcom. But I really hate how bad it became by the final few series.
Were you familiar with Cheers beforehand?

Bertie Wooster

Were you familiar with Cheers beforehand?
Yes and no.
I knew of it of course, and had seen some episodes. But it was just a little bit before my time really.

Most of my family only like British comedies (which I also love), and I mainly started to watch US sitcoms as I got into my teens in the 90's with the likes of Frasier, Seinfeld and Friends.

So I've watched a lot more of Cheers after it ended and as a consequence of loving Frasier so much. I enjoy it, but I think because I didn't watch it at the time then I don't feel the same level of love and nostalgia as I do for Frasier and Seinfeld.