Fred’s value

ThinkTank@Cafe

At the beginning of this season general consensus was that Fred turned out to be a flop, a waste of £50 million. Would you sell him now for that price?

Yes or No, please. Reasoning is most welcome.

Last edited:

Tarrou

I wouldn't sell him for that now. £50m would barely get you a Longstaff these days.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Yeah, I think he is distinctly average

Art

Art the artist
He's much better than Matic at the 6. Good performance today.

Foxbatt

He is better than average. If we get a defensive midfield player we will see a better Fred.

PoTMS

Yes, if someone offered £50m for him, I'd bite their hand off. He's improved, sure, but he's still not a £50m player.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Starting to show his worth, needs to carry on at this level for a bit longer to justify the price tag but on the basis that he does, well worth the £50m - thought he was superb today

El Zoido

He’s looking good, very much improved and I think he can get even better. His shooting is woeful though. Needs to either work on it, or stop doing it.

Pennywise

Fred is superb now. Great to have in the team and squad. Long may it continue

Hoof the ball

It's his passing, though. There's something not right about it. Even when he makes his passes the weight is always off, or the angle of the pass is to his teammates worst foot, slowing down play.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
No. It's unclear what we can get for £50m instead. Also, Fred is doing a great job for us right now and we shouldn't be selling anybody who adds value. Our squad desperately needs depth. Bringing any player in is always a risk. We don't have luxury to sell a valuable midfielder. We need to buy midfielders and sell the likes of Lingard and Pereira, if anybody is going to pay us anything for them.

Irrational.

When he picks the ball up in our own half you never feel comfortable as he never seems fully in control of the ball. Anderson was a better player, and that should tell you everything about Fred.

peridigm

Who are you going to buy back for 50mil and is also clearly better?
For £50m he should have played like this from the start and been much better by now. I’m sure that’s what Jose expected anyway.

Tarrou

It's his passing, though. There's something not right about it. Even when he makes his passes the weight is always off, or the angle of the pass is to his teammates worst foot, slowing down play.
I thought this too but it's been much better lately

RedIan

Jury still out for me. He has certainly improved from absolute garbage but I still see him as quite an ordinary midfielder. i hope I’m wrong... right now Id take £50mil for him

SER19

Going well but would like to see goals and assists added, also still loses it a little easily at times.

dove

I would sell. He looks better no doubts about that but to me he just lacks some key attributes for a midfielder. I have zero confidence in his passing and ball control skills.

Hoof the ball

When he picks the ball up in our own half you never feel comfortable as he never seems fully in control of the ball. Anderson was a better player, and that should tell you everything about Fred.
Anderson is an enigma because once upon a time he had elite level talent and physicality. Even watching him at Porto, he was almost a freak of nature with his combination of those things. It's a shame with Ando, really, but it takes a certain mindset to make the most of those gifts.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I would like to think Ole just sees him as somewhat useful until a (much) better solution comes along. If supporters are content with Fred it is a sad reflection on how far we have dropped

Ace of Spades

No, it is not a matter of money, but improving our squad overall. There are other players that need to go first before thinking about Fred.

Besides, I have no confidence in Woody getting a deal done to replace a player. He failed to replace Herrera, Fellaini and Lukaku in the window.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Starting to show some consistency for us. Like him in that deeper role. Less said about his shooting the better though.

Slightly worried about Mctomminay injury though. Could mean Pogba + Fred CDM which will be a total car wreck like it always has been.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
He's good at keeping things ticking over, has a high energy capacity, and is not as error-prone as he was last season. But he contributes very little in an attacking sense.

He's worth keeping in the squad but we should look to replace him as a first-teamer asap.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Starting to show some consistency for us. Like him in that deeper role. Less said about his shooting the better though.

Slightly worried about Mctomminay injury though. Could mean Pogba + Fred CDM which will be a total car wreck like it always has been.
It would be just our luck to lose Mctom the very moment Pogba returns from injury.

I was were looking forward to seeing a midfield of McFred with Pogba ahead of them at 10.

ThinkTank@Cafe

He's good at keeping things ticking over, has a high energy capacity, and is not as error-prone as he was last season. But he contributes very little in an attacking sense.

He's worth keeping in the squad but we should look to replace him as a first-teamer asap.
He is always the deepest CM. His passing in transition is good.

T_Model101

He's looking much better now and long may it continue
Naby Keita was also bought for over £50M

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Going well but would like to see goals and assists added, also still loses it a little easily at times.
That's not his job though. He's doing well keeping it simple, progressing the ball from defense to attack and winning the ball back. That's all he needs to do. Massive improvement from him in that regard where as the old Fred would be a safety risk and lose the ball in dangerous positions, he's cut a lot of that out now. I can accept the odd misplaced pass if he keeps winning the ball back like he has been.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
It would be just our luck to lose Mctom the very moment Pogba returns from injury.

I was were looking forward to seeing a midfield of McFred with Pogba ahead of them at 10.
Me too.

However you get injuries and we are being brutally punished for having such shit midfield options.

Irrational.

Anderson is an enigma because once upon a time he had elite level talent and physicality. Even watching him at Porto, he was almost a freak of nature with his combination of those things. It's a shame with Ando, really, but it takes a certain mindset to make the most of those gifts.
I remember being so excited when we signed him. I considered him to be an Mbappe level talent at the time. Sadly he didn't live up to expectations but I still think he was overall a better midfielder than Fred. He played with a lot of guts and his acceleration with the ball was great.

Hoof the ball

I remember being so excited when we signed him. I considered him to be an Mbappe level talent at the time. Sadly he didn't live up to expectations but I still think he was overall a better midfielder than Fred. He played with a lot of guts and his acceleration with the ball was great.
Well, he knew how to attack the space. :lol:

Nickelodeon

Fred, like Martial, encourages knee jerk reactions. When he does well, like he did today, he can look like a worthwhile CM. But his worst, which he showcases quite often, is really poor. Needs to add consistency to his game and he can be a very decent player for us.

C'est Moi Cantona

The bar is very low in midfield just now, hopefully we'll get a couple of decent players in there soon, then we'll see if Fred is actually up to it long term.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
I would even sell him for 30m. This doesn't mean I don't like him as a player or wouldn't start him right now

No. Been saying since he arrived he had talent and would be good alongside players with energy and technical ability. McT is a start but Fred could be better still if we get a top CM in next to him.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I like him, though his value to us right now is that he's quite a bit sharper than Matic the oil tanker, and more useful than Pereira who only had one good moment every 4 or 5 games.

In the bigger picture, he's not great. I'd rather we had Herrera doing his job. But he's alright.

Fred also needs to stop shooting forever. His dead ball strike is reasonable, but if the ball is moving even slightly, he spoons it into Salford Quays.