Fred’s value

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think question is, how much are we willing to pay for him now, if he is from another club?
I think around 40-50m would be fair price I wouldn't mind spending.
Depends from which club. Newcastle wanted 40+ million for Longstaff.

gza the genius

Fred is one of the best in the league at what he does....in my view at least. He plays well consistently which is not something you can say for all of our squad. Hes got heart, workrate, stamina, never gives up, will to win etc. Who else would you see winning the ball back so high up the pitch in the closing minutes when he put Ighalo through on goal despite bursting his gut for the full 90 mins before that. These are qualities that are vital in any team that aspires to be successful.

Kante is not exactly Beckham when it comes to creativity, goals etc but it's not something he seems to get criticised for.

If he could improve his decision making which at times can be poor, he would be awsemoe.
This. Fred is extremely good at his job which is what you’ve described. Most of the criticism of him seems to spawn from him not being good at things that aren’t his job. Fred is there to harass, win the ball, and move it forward. He isn’t there to provide defense splitting passes. Even then he put one on a plate for Ighalo. I’m really not sure what people want from him, we had three in center mid yesterday and people seem to be judging him based on him not doing what the other two mids should have been doing.

Fosu-Mens

Compiling a list that includes attacking mids (Maddison, Grealish, Alli in a comparison to Fred is just odd. I'd also disagree with plenty of the players included in this list like Moutinho, Propper, Cork, Hojbjerg, Capoue, Jorginho, Fernandinho (this season specifically), Noble, Matic, Gross, McArthur. I'd say Fred has been on par with Wijnaldum, Henderson, and Neves.
Ok, so we could make the distinction between attacking midfielders and central midfielders. Should then also make a distinction between central and defensive midfielders. Fred is a central or a defensive midfielder?

And the list was compared to his passing ability... Would say that the likes of Moutinho and Jorginho are superior passers compared to Fred.

AR87

Ok, so we could make the distinction between attacking midfielders and central midfielders. Should then also make a distinction between central and defensive midfielders. Fred is a central or a defensive midfielder?

And the list was compared to his passing ability... Would say that the likes of Moutinho and Jorginho are superior passers compared to Fred.
Yeah, there's a big difference between attacking mids and CMs. Pretty easy to make the distinction.

Jorginho is an extremely risk averse passer. If he played for United he'd be criticized for always playing it safe. Even if I grant you Jorginho and Moutinho as passers, there's no argument that Fred is below the average PL CM as a passer. It's just hyperbolic.

Gasolin

Fred is a CM, more b2b as of now, I don't think he can hold the position like Matic because he does like to go press the opposition higher up in the pitch so someone needs to act according to his movement.

Yakuza_devils

We used to have Keane and then Carrick type of midfield who control the game from deep. Fred is looking like someone who we can rely on as deep lying midfielder to build a great team again.

This season he should be man utd player of the year by far.

tjb

Fred is a bit confusing for me. He's clearly playing well and has proved useful while on the ball. However with him in the team, we have an issue of winning balls back from the opposition as opposed to McTominay, which is very weird considering that Fred was bought with the notion that he was great at winning the ball. Our main problem for me in yesterday's game was our inability to win the ball back, leading to counters and the opposition easily being able to cut through our midfield. Him in combination with Matic is bad for this, as Matic' lack of pace gets exposed with the type of gaps Fred creates at times. Ideally I would pair him with McTominay, but I don't think either of their passing is good enough to consistently help Macguire bring the ball out of defence into the midfield. I think he would provide a superb option for us in a rotation role where he plays 40 or so games a season, but I'm not sure i would take his industry over Mctominay's ball winning, and I won't play them together consistently in the long term.

Fosu-Mens

Yeah, there's a big difference between attacking mids and CMs. Pretty easy to make the distinction.

Jorginho is an extremely risk averse passer. If he played for United he'd be criticized for always playing it safe. Even if I grant you Jorginho and Moutinho as passers, there's no argument that Fred is below the average PL CM as a passer. It's just hyperbolic.
Passing under pressure, long passing, short passing, direct passing etc.
Is it really no argument that he is below average compared to the other starting central midfielders in the EPL in regards to passing?

big rons sovereign

Passing under pressure, long passing, short passing, direct passing etc.
Is it really no argument that he is below average compared to the other starting central midfielders in the EPL in regards to passing?
Which midfielder was better than him last night?
Actually, don't bother, your agenda is clear.

Fred is a bit confusing for me. He's clearly playing well and has proved useful while on the ball. However with him in the team, we have an issue of winning balls back from the opposition as opposed to McTominay, which is very weird considering that Fred was bought with the notion that he was great at winning the ball. Our main problem for me in yesterday's game was our inability to win the ball back, leading to counters and the opposition easily being able to cut through our midfield. Him in combination with Matic is bad for this, as Matic' lack of pace gets exposed with the type of gaps Fred creates at times. Ideally I would pair him with McTominay, but I don't think either of their passing is good enough to consistently help Macguire bring the ball out of defence into the midfield. I think he would provide a superb option for us in a rotation role where he plays 40 or so games a season, but I'm not sure i would take his industry over Mctominay's ball winning, and I won't play them together consistently in the long term.
Did you watch the same game as me? Did you watch the same Fred as me? Or were you watching Fred Astaire?

I don't even need to check the stats, I'm certain Fred wins the ball more than any other midfielder on our books, including McTominay.

Last night Fred made more tackles and interceptions combined than any other midfielder on the pitch, for both sides.

Last edited:

tjb

Did you watch the same game as me? Did you watch the same Fred as me? Or were you watching Fred Astaire?

I don't even need to check the stats, I'm certain Fred wins the ball more than any other midfielder on our books, including McTominay.

Last night Fred made more tackles and interceptions combined than any other midfielder on the pitch, for both sides.
There were a lot of instances in the game where Fred missed tacked and Matic was too slow to support him. Statistically Fred averages low tackling and interception numbers. I'm pointing out this flaw in his game, not just off of a one off game, but over the course of the season. And no, he comes nowhere close to winning more balls than Mctominay statistically. He scrambles a lot and chases the ball, but the least effective part of his game is his tackling and interceptions.

And no, he comes nowhere close to winning more balls than Mctominay statistically.
Show me the stats @tjb, I'm always willing to learn.

Cause the actual Premier League stats this season say:

PlayerTackles per gameInterceptions per gameTotal balls won per game
McTominay2.21.43.6
Fred21.53.5
Fabinho2.21.13.3
Henderson2.213.2

But if you've got some other stats, and you're so certain in your statements that you surely must have, please correct me.

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Answer: priceless at the moment and for the remainder of the season.

He has to stay fit. His running and dogged refusal to accept any loose ball is beyond him is absolutely tremendous.

The stamina he displays, has to be top percentile in the league alongside the Ndidi's and Kante of yore.

He is a horrid, horrid player for the opposition because he comes back again and again and again, like a fecking flea!

ThinkTank@Cafe

As the Thread starter, I would like to officially announce that someone offering £50 M for Fred would be a LAUGHABLE bid.

Suvvernmanc

Fred has been our best player this season. As others have said, he doesn't stop running. Unbelievable form.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I think his value is that he deserves to be the regular spot this season and faith from the manager for next season as well. Always everywhere off the ball and can also find his man when on the ball.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Endless running at the intensity he does it at, every single match for how many months now? His engine is Kanté like.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Fred is much better than Kante, he's creative, he breaks up play, he never stops running, he's very good at recieving the ball, he's quality

Snuffkin

Yes he's a busy bee and doesn't shirk. I be happier if he was a goal threat.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Fred has made an absolutely stunning turn around.
Long may it continue.

Judas

Open to offers
No white text? He was better in the second half, but I still wouldn't shed a tear if we bought in another starter to replace him, he constantly makes me nervous. The thing is the people who like Fred REALLY like him on here and the praise is a bit overblown at times, the post above a perfect example.

Barthez

Unsung hero. The man is immense. First name on the team sheet without a doubt

ThinkTank@Cafe

No white text? He was better in the second half, but I still wouldn't shed a tear if we bought in another starter to replace him, he constantly makes me nervous. The thing is the people who like Fred REALLY like him on here and the praise is a bit overblown at times, the post above a perfect example.
would you sell him if £50 m bid comes?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Fred can be replaced, there’s no quality that is that outstanding about him. But this game summed up Fred, could have cost us but worked out.