Fred’s value

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Was betting with my brother at half time who’d get sent off first, him or McT. PSG obviously had a plan to niggle at them both

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I like Fred. He gives us bite, he works tirelessly, he should never shoot or take free kicks.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I like Fred. He gives us bite, he works tirelessly, he should never shoot or take free kicks.
Yep. Fred’s been great for us for ages now, one game doesn’t change that.

One of those shots will go in at some point though and when it does it will be pandemonium :lol:

Zlatans Knee

If that's the one I'm thinking of it was the same as the one he eventually got the second yellow for. Both times he did have a heavy touch, both times he slid in and made heavy contact, but both times he did win the ball first so it's a fine challenge.
Taking ball and then man with studs up does not make it a fine challenge. Hence that is why a foul was given. It was only because it was in the first 30 seconds of the game that he did not get booked.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He had a poor game, but I think there wasn't much support from front 4. Fred and McTominay were isolated against Neymar and Mbappe way too often.
Not sure if that's tactics or Martial and Rashford just not contributing. Cavani was the only one working hard.

Bondi77

I just cannot believe this guy is Brazilian
I grew up seeing Brazilian players with a great touch and could caress the football but yet could shoot at goal with precision and power.....Fred is the opposite.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I just cannot believe this guy is Brazilian
I grew up seeing Brazilian players with a great touch and could caress the football but yet could shoot at goal with precision and power.....Fred is the opposite.
Same attributes as another Brazilian footballer that played for us in the not so distant past..
He’d fire cannonball passes and endanger corner flags with his shots

Litch

Fred is what he is, no more no less. You kind of know what you are going to get with him and from him. He generally starts quite nervous but builds as the game goes on. His second half performances tend to be better than his first. He will make bad passes but generally his pass percentage like yesterday was the highest of any of our players. He's two footed and always looks to generally play forward. Wouldn't say he has a bad first touch, but it does let him down far too often at times and cost him yesterday. Always gives 100% and lots of his work goes missing because it's not necessarily eye catching. It's interesting when you look at lots of our goals, Fred often has played a role in them.

Fred is not the problem as he is what he is, the problem is those players who ceiling is much higher who are not playing to their potential. If say Pogs did or Matic, then both Scott and Fred would be where they probably should be, coming off the bench. Ole has to play Fred as currently he is by far, our best midfielder. Our best performances against the best teams inc both previous games against PSG, Fred could have been voted MOTM.

We def need another proper CDM but even the best in the world aren't going to cover up what's going on behind them.....

Bondi77

Same attributes as another Brazilian footballer that played for us in the not so distant past..
He’d fire cannonball passes and endanger corner flags with his shots
Yep....the fast food outlets in Manchester still mourn the day of Ando’s departure from Utd.

Bondi77

Fred is what he is, no more no less. You kind of know what you are going to get with him and from him. He generally starts quite nervous but builds as the game goes on. His second half performances tend to be better than his first. He will make bad passes but generally his pass percentage like yesterday was the highest of any of our players. He's two footed and always looks to generally play forward. Wouldn't say he has a bad first touch, but it does let him down far too often at times and cost him yesterday. Always gives 100% and lots of his work goes missing because it's not necessarily eye catching. It's interesting when you look at lots of our goals, Fred often has played a role in them.

Fred is not the problem as he is what he is, the problem is those players who ceiling is much higher who are not playing to their potential. If say Pogs did or Matic, then both Scott and Fred would be where they probably should be, coming off the bench. Ole has to play Fred as currently he is by far, our best midfielder. Our best performances against the best teams inc both previous games against PSG, Fred could have been voted MOTM.

We def need another proper CDM but even the best in the world aren't going to cover up what's going on behind them.....
When I call a player two footed I mean he is actually good with both feet and Fred is good with neither.

Litch

When I call a player two footed I mean he is actually good with both feet and Fred is good with neither.
Amazing how a player not good with either has the highest pass percentage consistently on our team especially as he plays the ball forward - what's he doing then to do that, wishing it there?

DickDastardly

essentially, Fred’s fault that Ole was in that position, but once Ole was in that position he should have taken Fred off (at half time).
Essentially, yes.

It's not just about the tackle, it's what led to it for me. Another poor touch from him.
I'd expect him to have a better first touch. Then he doesn't force the ref to make a decision at all. Especially when we all know the ref probably looked at the head butt again at half time and wasn't about to give Fred another chance...
All valid points, but we're not playing Fred in that position because of his JuanMatalike silky touches.
He's a destroyer. He plays because he disrupts opposition play, harasses them, hunts them down and takes the ball. And he does so very well.

Yes, he could have a better touch, he's brazilian after all.

And yes, Ole put his faith in him not to get sent off, but it also goes both ways, Fred should have had faith in Ole not to put him in a position like that.

It's not just any old yellow card from the first half where you get lenience, it was a yellow card with weight of a VAR checked headbutt and a 50-50 challenge where you stomped on Paredes. (you could add the 2-footed challenge where he also got the ball in the first half).

Ole simply had to sub him.

wolvored

We definitely need to bring in a quality DM in January. Fred or McTom are simply not good enough to play on their own in big games and it takes a place up in the team. I know you shouldnt look at the price, but Fred was £54 mill. For that he should be able to be the quality of Partey for example. Hes way too inconsistent.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Essentially, yes.

All valid points, but we're not playing Fred in that position because of his JuanMatalike silky touches.
He's a destroyer. He plays because he disrupts opposition play, harasses them, hunts them down and takes the ball. And he does so very well.

Yes, he could have a better touch, he's brazilian after all.

And yes, Ole put his faith in him not to get sent off, but it also goes both ways, Fred should have had faith in Ole not to put him in a position like that.

It's not just any old yellow card from the first half where you get lenience, it was a yellow card with weight of a VAR checked headbutt and a 50-50 challenge where you stomped on Paredes. (you could add the 2-footed challenge where he also got the ball in the first half).

Ole simply had to sub him.
It has nothing to do with being JuanMata like, that touch was terrible, it's as simple as that. Ole has his fault for not subbing him of course but Fred's poor touch is a problem

El Zoido

They’re all adults and professionals, seems they had a discussion at half time over the best course of action, and agreed he could carry on. I’m sure Fred would have wanted to stay on no matter what. This is part of Ole trusting his player, it’s not necessarily the worst management, and to be fair, Fred did play a safe game in the second half, and the second yellow he received was clearly incorrect. I still think it was the wrong call to keep him on, but it’s just the way it goes. I’m sure that if such a thing happens again, Ole will take a different approach. I’ve already made my peace with it.

As for Fred, he’s a very good player. He should start every important game really, he allows more technically gifted players to do their thing, but he’s a real menace in the centre of the park. The headbutt was a moment of madness, but it’s fine, really. Just don’t do it again. Used to get this kind of thing from Cantona, Keane, Rooney, pointlessly stamping, throwing elbows, getting themselves sent off. Fred isn’t of their calibre of course, but the point still stands. I don’t know if Fred is a long term solution for this position, but right now he’s playing well and deserves some acclaim.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

We definitely need to bring in a quality DM in January. Fred or McTom are simply not good enough to play on their own in big games and it takes a place up in the team. I know you shouldnt look at the price, but Fred was £54 mill. For that he should be able to be the quality of Partey for example. Hes way too inconsistent.
Yep agreed. If there was a possibility to transform the strenghts of Fred and McTominay into one player that would be nice, but having to play both of them reduces the possibility to play one more additional creative midfielder like Donny or Pogba. Matic is a good footballer, but like Mata to slow for modern football.
So one top CDM and at least one better CB so that our defense does not need that high amount of shielding anymore. While I would also like to get Sancho or another winger/attacker in as well that should be the priorities, as those 2 additions could completely transform our first team set-up.

wolvored

Yep agreed. If there was a possibility to transform the strenghts of Fred and McTominay into one player that would be nice, but having to play both of them reduces the possibility to play one more additional creative midfielder like Donny or Pogba. Matic is a good footballer, but like Mata to slow for modern football.
So one top CDM and at least one better CB so that our defense does not need that high amount of shielding anymore. While I would also like to get Sancho or another winger/attacker in as well that should be the priorities, as those 2 additions could completely transform our first team set-up.
Yes even if we got a fast CD who didnt become injury prone and a DM we would look a different team. We could play an higher line. I hope the 2 kids we bought get a chance to see what they can do on the RW, otherwise why buy them, and we also got Greenwood.

lsd

The Oracle
Fred is seriously overrated on here neither he or McTominay should be anywhere near our starting line up.

His first touch is shocking and just invites pressure on himself all the time as he cannot control the ball

lex talionis

I'm impressed with the work Fred has done for us over the last two seasons, but he is a bit too weak in the final third for my liking. He's not a particularly strong defender for a midfielder and he's not particularly effective as a creator, but he does a nice job in the middle third to link the back line to the front line. He's not suited for all occasions but he's a very useful player to have on the squad.

Rajma

Hopefully people will put some more respect to his name after this shambles of the display by our midfielders today...He’s basically our only proper midfield player that ups the tempo and covers a lot of ground as well as being aggressive with his pressing.

Falcow

Hopefully people will put some more respect to his name after this shambles of the display by our midfielders today...He’s basically our only proper midfield player that ups the tempo and covers a lot of ground as well as being aggressive with his pressing.
This. So this.

Anyone doubting his value to the team, look at us without him. Our midfield is one big gaping liability when he is not there.

Chief123

Missing him so much today. His energy and intensity is a complete extreme to Pogba.

sammyhol

Correct... had a bad night against Paris... but only Midfield we have who can handle the pace of prem games.

Litch

I was glad he didn't play cause wanted to see which scapegoat they would focus on in his absence. It's funny how some can spend so much time focusing on what he can't do, and not what he does......

Renegade

Is he injured? He can’t play Tuesday so where the hell is he?

a player whose indiscipline significantly affected our chances of qualifying for the knock out stages of the CL?

you can talk about ‘respect’, but doing it the game after PSG is taking the piss.

Rajma

a player whose indiscipline significantly affected our chances of qualifying for the knock out stages of the CL?

you can talk about ‘respect’, but doing it the game after PSG is taking the piss.
He was red carded when we were down 2-1 already for your information. Ole had to take him off and what significantly affected our chances is the loss against Turkish club and not PSG.

Litch

Not Qualifying was not down to him being set off. We were 2-1 down before the sending off....

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905

jeezus wept, the send off was unnecesary, we all know that, it happens even in the big games, the second one wasn't even a yellow card anyway but is he really at fault for us maybe not making the quarterfinals? Get a grip, he's playing out of his skin for month, the only consistently capable midfielder who put in some world class performances and by those won us the other games... Give him a break.. It's a team sport ffs.

I bet you're one of the bitter guys who will forever remember, this and never give him credit:houllier:

AFC NimbleThumb

He was hardly pulling up trees against Southampton in the first half last week was he & we’ve seen enough of what happens when we ask him to do more than harry the opposition.

He’s as inconsistent & liable as the rest of them; bar Bruno & maybe DVdB based on newness, we should be actively looking to replace a whole bunch of our midfielders in the coming window - the midfield we have amassed is shocking, Fred has more than played his part in similar lackadaisical displays.

He was red carded when we were down 2-1 already for your information. Ole had to take him off and what significantly affected our chances is the loss against Turkish club and not PSG.
Did you conveniently forget about his headbutt! Without doubt he should have been sent off at that point.

I’m not saying he’s not missed, but when the poster talks about respect - the timing is just not good.

jeezus wept, the send off was unnecesary, we all know that, it happens even in the big games, the second one wasn't even a yellow card anyway but is he really at fault for us maybe not making the quarterfinals? Get a grip, he's playing out of his skin for month, the only consistently capable midfielder who put in some world class performances and by those won us the other games... Give him a break.. It's a team sport ffs.

I bet you're one of the bitter guys who will forever remember, this and never give him credit:houllier:
you should get a grip pal. Like I said in terms of praising a player, I’d give it more than 45 mins after a shocking show of indiscipline. As for your last sentence - :lol: :lol: