Fred’s value

Falcow

Fred is immense and brings so much speed, mobility and structure in our game. We would be absolute garbage without him and I do not want to imagine our league position. People who still can not appreciate having him on the pitch should really ask themself question who could possibly do a better job. Looking at the last two months I seriously doubt there was a better CM in the PL besides De Bruyne and maybe Kante.
Fully agree and have been saying this for months. Passing still let's him down sometimes but for sheer work rate, I've never seen a player like him. He just never ever stops, its phenomenal.

Siorac

Except Fletcher was like Ander, we could count on him to be one of our best players in every big match.
Fred had some very good performances in big games, like in Paris or yesterday at Anfield. He was pretty good at Arsenal last season in the league or at City in the Etihad this season.

Yes, he doesn't play well in every single big game. Neither did Fletcher but we're looking back at the past with rose-tinted specs.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Squad player at best. The shot from the edge of the box second half was total rubbish, it depends on the standards to which he is evaluated. First half he gave the ball away in our own half a few times

Don't get me wrong, he is absolutely important for us right now, but that is an issue in itself.
Fair enough. I think he, and players like Maguire for that matter, would greatly benefit from a functioning team around them but yes when Fred is your best player you know you're lacking for quality.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Fred had some very good performances in big games, like in Paris or yesterday at Anfield. He was pretty good at Arsenal last season in the league or at City in the Etihad this season.

Yes, he doesn't play well in every single big game. Neither did Fletcher but we're looking back at the past with rose-tinted specs.
He was good against City at OT in the league cup, swimming against a large tide of shit.

Ekeke

He was ok against PSG. This is the first time hes been among the best

Jeffthered

Fred is immense and brings so much speed, mobility and structure in our game. We would be absolute garbage without him and I do not want to imagine our league position. People who still can not appreciate having him on the pitch should really ask themself question who could possibly do a better job. Looking at the last two months I seriously doubt there was a better CM in the PL besides De Bruyne and maybe Kante.
Fred is not 'immense'. This world we live with exaggerated claims.. things aren't good, they are 'amazing'... people no longer disagree, they 'clash'... etc. How on Earth could you describe Fred as being 'immense' is just beyond me. KDB is immense. Pogba (when on his game...)... Salah, Mane... Aguero.... Kane... these are players who are immense.

Fred is playing better than he did when he first arrived, and that isn't asking for much. His performances now, in my opinion, are what we should expect as basics for a first XI Manchester United central midfielder. And he still has these crazy moments (note Wolves disallowed goal....).

Fred needs to go up another gear before I even consider him some top player. Ability is there, and he is improving, but if someone offered decent money now, I would take it, because you can replace what he currently gives us. He's playing much better yes, and with more consistency... but Fred is no super midfielder, not on performances at the moment. Good is just that, 'good'.

To suggest he is immense is silly.

Bwuk

And Fred was solely responsible? :lol:
No, as a team we were awful. He didn't provide any control at all and was lucky Wjnaldum was offside for his goal or he'd of been slated for not following him.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
He isn't that good and gives the ball away in dangerous areas, better than the other dross but he is being overrated. Squad player in a proper United side
Could also look even more decent with better players around him.

PINGUtd

Fred is not 'immense'. This world we live with exaggerated claims.. things aren't good, they are 'amazing'... people no longer disagree, they 'clash'... etc. How on Earth could you describe Fred as being 'immense' is just beyond me. KDB is immense. Pogba (when on his game...)... Salah, Mane... Aguero.... Kane... these are players who are immense.

Fred is playing better than he did when he first arrived, and that isn't asking for much. His performances now, in my opinion, are what we should expect as basics for a first XI Manchester United central midfielder. And he still has these crazy moments (note Wolves disallowed goal....).

Fred needs to go up another gear before I even consider him some top player. Ability is there, and he is improving, but if someone offered decent money now, I would take it, because you can replace what he currently gives us. He's playing much better yes, and with more consistency... but Fred is no super midfielder, not on performances at the moment. Good is just that, 'good'.

To suggest he is immense is silly.
You might be right, there is surely is a tendency to use superlatives when praising our favorite players. The use of language evolves and boulevard football media is doing its part too - their headlines alone are good examples and yes, "good" is "not good enough anymore". One other explanation for this phenomenon is that most people on this forum are not native English speakers. In my case, there are 3 languages I speak with more extended and accurate vocabulary than English. I do not think that because you have a subjective benchmark for every term, others should cease to use "amazing" or even "immense", especially considering we are using the same words from a different linguistic background.

Back to the Fred. You can disagree and I respect your opinion. Him being "immense" the way I defined it above is: "Looking at the last two months I seriously doubt there was a better CM in the PL besides De Bruyne and maybe Kante." During these two month he played basically every game, during the toughest period of the year and glued the entire midfield together. Every has a few mistakes in his game but I have not seen many. What I see is the way he wins and distributes the ball surrounded by players who are often not matching his performance most of the weeks. Yes KDB is immense, so is Kante. But who else if not Fred?* He is surely no Keane or Scholes, if their peak is our reference for our current and future midfield, we will collectively be unsatisfied with our options for many decades to come.

Fred seriously deserves all the praise he can get after all the blame from the past.

*CM in the PL during the last 2 months.

cyberman

Fully agree and have been saying this for months. Passing still let's him down sometimes but for sheer work rate, I've never seen a player like him. He just never ever stops, its phenomenal.
He was sensational uesterday. We had genuine long periods of midfield dominance and it was largely down to him. Theyd try and swarm him and hed pop a pass out from somewhere to the extent they gave up pressing and simply sat back. He then broke the lines a few times.

HowYouDoin

Well lets just put it this way. He gets to stay. Can only say that for about 5 or 6 people at the club.
Fred is one of them.

fergieisold

No, as a team we were awful. He didn't provide any control at all and was lucky Wjnaldum was offside for his goal or he'd of been slated for not following him.
We weren't awful actually. We dominated the first 10-15 minutes without creating much, then after their goal we shat ourselves for a bit. Then we settled again. Start of second half was terrible and then again we settled and looked like we could score. Martial should have taken his chance!

RUCK4444

I’ve said for a long time that we needed him to hit the ground running under Mourinho in that season, Jose was quick to disregard him. It didn’t happen early on for him but now he is everything I hoped he would be when we signed him.

We haven’t had a player like him in a long time, he was outstanding yesterday.

Technically underrated, immense engine, combative, always tries to play it forward, carries the ball well, links well. I hope he can keep this consistency.

Plays potentially better with McTominay next to him as well, so hopefully more to come from him.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
He kept plugging away yesterday, despite the shit around him. His attitude has been great this season and, amazingly, he's now our most effective midfielder. I like the guy.

marktan

Around £35m in terms of technical ability but his heart and fight takes him up to £50m. It's funny Mourinho saying he didn't want to sign him, when he's the most Mourinho like player we have.

dogwithabone

He’s great, £50m is now looking like a really good deal. He’s relentless and is a really tidy player on the ball. Fair play to the lad because he could have let an iffy start effect him but he’s grown and grown and never hides. He’s undroppable.

lsd

The Oracle
I think it's safe to say Fred wouldn't let Mark Noble carry him off the pitch or allow him to carry any Utd player .

Love the way he is first to protect any Utd player at the first sign of a bust up .

Fast becoming one of my favourite players

Red_Aaron

I don't think I've ever been this wrong about a player.

Fair play to him, not only showing his quality on the ball week in week out now but he's also stepped up as a personality too and is becoming a leader too.

Take a bow son

Shimo

Love him for the value he adds in passio on top of his performances. Smallest guy in there but, standing to protect Martial and not put up with Chelsea's shit.

nikineil

Yes. I dont think being player of the month at the 7th placed team means you have to be worth £50 million.

I'd pay it for Kovacic, not Fred
Which is exactly we are being quoted what we are for Grealish. Sound logic mate!

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I look forward to seeing any combination of Fred, Bruno, Mctominay, and Pogba in the near future.

There is a semblance of a midfield beginning to form. The addition of Maddison and/or Grealish in the summer should complete the puzzle.

el3mel

He deserves an apology from me. Never expected him to reach such level as he showed today and last few matches. Absolutely brilliant. Felt like Park reincarnated today.

thepolice123

Yes. I dont think being player of the month at the 7th placed team means you have to be worth £50 million.

I'd pay it for Kovacic, not Fred
Kovacic had a good game and I think his passing is way better than Fred. But overrall I think it was a very even battle. Fred was more industrious and stronger in defence.