Fred’s value

Bwuk

There will be plenty of suitors should he become available.
There wouldn’t be. He’d end up at someone like an Everton.

Fred isn’t what this forum makes him out to be. Works incredibly hard and presses well, but can’t be trusted on his own as a 6, and isn’t creative enough as a 8.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Is it really no argument that he is below average compared to the other starting central midfielders in the EPL in regards to passing?
:lol: Jesus. Fred is, and has been one of our most consistent performers over the last 12 months. No he’s not the best but he leaves everything out there and we are better every time he’s on the team.

Chief123

Fred has been brilliant. He does everything that you would never see on a YouTube highlights video. He’s a our variation of Kante. His pressing and transition of ball is brilliant.

SinNombre

Fred has a good shout to be our best Brazilian player ever. That said, we won't recoup the 50m we paid for him.

He is one of those hard-working not quite a 6, not quite a 8 player. They generally go for 35-40m. That said, every team needs one. Casemiro at RM, Kante at Chelsea, Ndombele at Spurs.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

Fred isn’t what this forum makes him out to be. Works incredibly hard and presses well, but can’t be trusted on his own as a 6, and isn’t creative enough as a 8.
People on this forum legit think he’s better than Kante at his best :lol:

The delusion and bias is unreal.

Judas

Open to offers
Him getting compared to Kante is a bit cringe honestly, it's RAWK level of overrating our own. All for supporting our players but come lets be a bit more honest.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Him getting compared to Kante is a bit cringe honestly, it's RAWK level of overrating our own. All for supporting our players but come lets be a bit more honest.
Definitely. He does do a job for us but he's not this indispensable force that could walk into any starting 11 ffs :lol:

limerickcitykid

It’s like when RAWK called Lucas Leiva shit for 7 years straight and then suddenly changed their mind and started calling him the best midfielder in the league.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
No white text? He was better in the second half, but I still wouldn't shed a tear if we bought in another starter to replace him, he constantly makes me nervous. The thing is the people who like Fred REALLY like him on here and the praise is a bit overblown at times, the post above a perfect example.
Your post is exactly why we need more posts like the one above you, because he might never get any recognition otherwise. What exactly makes you nervous about him? he's one of the most press resistant players in the team, winning most of his 50-50s. Very tidy and quick thinker, playing some great quick through balls to start most of our attacks. He presses very hard and puts us on the front foot way earlier and so we can attack into open defences, compared to the "safe" approach waiting for a mistake and then slowly attack into full defence. Certainly against a very compact team you don't need a sluggish team in defence and attack. That's when player like Fred steps in and comes in handy.

But like someone mentioned in his player performance thread, one little mistake and you're on his back, thinking like he's unreliable. Reminds me that nonsensical bias against Rafael. Some people will claim now he was a rash player, red card to happen etc. While he was very consistent defender for us in those two seasons only to suffer from injuries too much so he was sold. Energetic and aggressive doesn't mean bad, quite the opposite and often the only way for top flight football.

You certainly didn't feel nervous when Matic gave the ball twice away in dangerous positions in midfield as did VdB, playing often "too fast" one two football playing difficult passes for his teammates to receive ball in difficult positions or giving the ball away directly dangerously on the other occasion. Wake the hell up people and show some consistent measures.

If Fred was English he would be already recognized one of the best midfielders in the league. Yes 50mil is a steal. You get a very consistent 8.5-9/10 player CDM/CM/defensive minded b2b who gives his all in every game on top of that yet people overlook him because of some stereotypes or inability judge a player in his position.

He would easily start for City and replace Fernandinho who himself is a brilliant player not getting enough recognition, he'd start for Liverpool in their midfield full of energetic style instead of Wijnaldum for sure. He would start for PSG, the same way Herrera when fit is starting ahead of Verratti because he offers that balance and intelligence.

He's a more polished and technical version of Kante with being as good defensively just too far away to (some 3/4 players and perhaps a more experienced/progressive coach) make us consistently challenge for throphies which would inevitably lead to recognize his value at last.

arthurka

For me he was two faced today.
Terrible in the first man of the match in the second. It just proves what many have been saying he isn't and never will be a DM.

MikeeMike

Fred has been brilliant. He does everything that you would never see on a YouTube highlights video. He’s a our variation of Kante. His pressing and transition of ball is brilliant.
Well dont watch his preseason debut when we bought him. Bebe’esque.
I am just not seeing much brilliance although he has been way improved this season.

ReddBalls

Well dont watch his preseason debut when we bought him. Bebe’esque.
I am just not seeing much brilliance although he has been way improved this season.
What kind of brilliance are you looking for? What kind of skills do you think he need to be good at for his role in the team?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Fred can be replaced, there’s no quality that is that outstanding about him. But this game summed up Fred, could have cost us but worked out.
He's literally one of the hardest working and strongest pressing players in the world. He isn't outstanding on the ball, but even in that aspect he's better than he normally gets credit for.

MikeeMike

What kind of brilliance are you looking for? What kind of skills do you think he need to be good at for his role in the team?
Maybe get a shot on target, improve his aweful first touch and stop ball watching whilst standing in acres of space.
His breaking up of attacks is way better and when he has space his distribution and passing are excellent.
For me it is frustrating as has the skills but caught out too often in basic situations which I would have thought could be fixed in training/coaching.

georgipep

When did Kante played as the sole 6/8? Leicester? Drinkwater. Chelsea? Jorginho/Kovacic. France? Pogba and even Matuidi.

spiriticon

This thread reminds me of the time Makelele was bashed as a rather useless player, then all of a sudden one fine day everyone realised what he actually does for the team.

limerickcitykid

This thread reminds me of the time Makelele was bashed as a rather useless player, then all of a sudden one fine day everyone realised what he actually does for the team.
Reminds me more of the time Anderson was praised as better than Fabregas, then one fine day we all looked back and laughed at how fecking stupid of a comparison that was. Similar to even trying to compare Fred to Makelele.

Castia

Been brilliant throughout most of last season and this, top player for me.

Red00012

Compared with Kante

feck me :D

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's not as good as Kante but he's obviously a good player.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Reminds me more of the time Anderson was praised as better than Fabregas, then one fine day we all looked back and laughed at how fecking stupid of a comparison that was. Similar to even trying to compare Fred to Makelele.
Comparing such a professional, hard working team player to Anderson (still love the guy) is an obvious bias.

Maticmaker

Every team needs a 'toiler in the engine room' type player, which is essential what Fred is, but he can't shoot, he struggles to receive balls facing his own goal, and is becoming a liability when trying to defend around the edge of the box, giving away two free kicks this week that led to goals.
Whilst Fred can intercept passes and pressure opposition players, he loses the ball in the wrong places and at the wrong times. Best game for me was when he twinned with McTominay and they hunted as a pack of 2 against PSG, but we had three at the back and two wing backs as well. Plenty of cover that allowed both of them the license to cover the ground and crowd out the opposition midfield.
Herrera's man-marking of Hazard for a full 90 minutes against Chelsea at OT a few years back is the pinnacle and I would like to see Fred achieve it...one day!

Teja

My only gripe with him is that he gives away the ball in dangerous areas with just the two CBs covering him.

Other than that, his work rate and pressing is brilliant and his ability to progress the ball to a player between the lines is extremely underrated.

He got dropped to make space for Pogba at the beginning of the season and he's played himself into the team on his own merit. Great little guy.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
He’s really good. Would look a whole lot better in a more consistent team that was better set up.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Fred's level put to one side, it's pretty clear he's more effective than Pogba is. And that's what makes up a team - effective players for the collective good of the group as a whole.

spiriticon

Errr... Fabregas was recording 20 assists per season at age 20 whilst Anderson could barely play three 90 minute games in a row at the same age. I doubt anybody ever compared them seriously.

Makelele, on the other hand, was regarded as so dispensable his club president sold him on the cheap to get rid only to regret it later. I hope we don't do the same to Fred. If we are selling Fred, it better be because we are signing N'Golo Kante.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
His energy is a great asset to the team, not very good on the ball but I appreciate his workrate. Was really pissed off with the stupid free-kick that led to the 2nd goal though.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Kante is better in his tackling and interception, but Fred is slightly better in his playmaking than Kante. Both have equal work rate & stamina.

Kante is more of defensive midfielder or ball winning midfielder like Makelele or Ndidi since they have world class tackle. While Fred tackling ability is not that high. He is more of a pressing machine midfielder, more aggressive.

Fred is basically last season Laimer at RB Leipzig but better in playmaking. Fred and Kante are different imo. Fred is basically non-world class midfielder, his job is underrated but very effective and crucial for the team. The pressing machine midfield.

limerickcitykid

Errr... Fabregas was recording 20 assists per season at age 20 whilst Anderson could barely play three 90 minute games in a row at the same age. I doubt anybody ever compared them seriously.

Makelele, on the other hand, was regarded as so dispensable his club president sold him on the cheap to get rid only to regret it later. I hope we don't do the same to Fred. If we are selling Fred, it better be because we are signing N'Golo Kante.
Err.. there is multiple threads on this forum claiming Anderson is better and laughing at bias Arsenal fans. So doubt anything you want.

spiriticon

Err.. there is multiple threads on this forum claiming Anderson is better and laughing at bias Arsenal fans. So doubt anything you want.
Are there? I don't think Anderson even got 10 assists in a season.

In any case, it's not the quality of Fred that's the point. It's the comparison that people don't rate what he's good at because it's not flashy enough.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
We talk about how Fred and Mctomminay or Fred and Matic are 2 midfielders jobs doing a single CDM'S Job - whilst there is some depth in that; I think its maybe forgotten that getting that CDM can bring a benefit in to Fred's natural centre midfielders game too. Maybe his passes will go up or he can get more forward.

He has settled now and maybe he can take it up even one more level if he has the right players in front and behind him aswell. Maybe he will, maybe not but either way great player to have in the squad.