Fred - £47m well spent

Status
Not open for further replies.

RashyForPM

What a player. Aside from the PSG red where we were all fuming at him, he has really come on strong since Ole’s arrival and made himself an indispensable member to the first team. So remarkably energetic, magnificent at breaking up play and this season especially, has added a real technical ability to his game. Add to that his much improved decision-making, and you have the excellent midfielder that Fred is now.

So far, he’s been one of our players of the season. Imo, it’s fair to say by now that the £47m we shelled out for him was inspired business.

Last edited:

dpansheth

What a player. Aside from the PSG red where we were all fuming at him, he has really come on strong since Ole’s arrival and made himself an indispensable member to the first team. So remarkably energetic, magnificent at breaking up play and this season especially, has added a real technical ability to his game. Add to that his much improved decision-making, and you have the excellent midfielder that Fred is now.

So far, he’s been one of our players of the season. Imo, it’s fair to say by now that the £52m we shelled out for him was inspired business.
Pleased with his recent form. But for £52M, no I wanted more.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I feel his form has actually dropped off a little over the last month or so (probably since the sending off), but he's still extremely important. The fact he's still putting in good performances despite his partner being completely invisible in the last two games says it all - can you imagine how over-run we would have been if it were Pogba or Matic playing next to McTominay doing this Mr Invisible routine?

klayton88

He's a player you notice more when he's not playing. He's not flash or going to get you goals and assists but against Wolves a few games back it was clear he was missed.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He’s been very good since last season, very consistent. Just unlucky being dropped due to lockdown. This season being nominated in our POTM 3x (October, November & December). However, his role is not match winner or playmaking midfielder, any Midfielder who is not match winner or playmaking is not worth more than 50m in my opinion, more of a support role. 40m-45m worth player at best. However, we actually spent 47m on him not 52m so I would force it and say alright it’s well spent.

freeurmind

weak willed
He’s been very good since last season, very consistent. Just unlucky being dropped due to lockdown. This season being nominated in our POTM 3x (October, November & December). However, his role is not match winner or playmaking midfielder, any Midfielder who is not match winner or playmaking is not worth more than 50m in my opinion, more of a support role. 40m-45m worth player at best. However, we actually spent 47m on him not 52m so I would force it and say alright it’s well spent.
Can't argue much with any of this.

Nori-

Now I think of it, Fred reminds me a little of Ji Sung Park in the sense that he doesn't stop running. Like a Jack Russel at your feet all game.

Park was a proper work horse, he also had a few goals/assists in him which is an area I'd love to see Fred improve on.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
The difference between him now and under Jose is quite frankly ridiculous. Yeah, his shooting is still shite, but the energy and grit he brings to midfield is simply outstanding

The best thing with Fred is how he often starts dangerous attacks by tackling/intercepting while the opponent is not in balance and then passes it to Bruno who then creates something dangerous

Dolf

Seriously? Some people just can't be satisfied...
What midfielder could we ever buy for less than 50 million pounds, who is better than Fred? Nobody.

Ace of Spades

Don't think he is worth that much, but he has become a very consistent and a good buy overall.

That was also a time where fees had become very inflated, but we seem to now be doing better business and hopefully can pick up good players and spot them earlier.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
He’s never a 52m player but that’s what the market is like when Utd are involved. Would have been 25-30m tops if Everton, Leicester and the likes went for him at that time. He has proven that he’s a great squad player for us, though.

M Bison

Supports
York City
For me he looks a bargain now, no decent CM in the PL would go for less than that now. McGinn for example, I thought he was fantastic yesterday, if we went in for him we’d end up paying more than that I reckon.

RashyForPM

He's a good player but not worth that fee.
He is imo. Honestly can’t think of any midfielder who would cost £47m or lower who would be an upgrade on Fred. In this current market, the likes of Tielemans, McGinn, Llorente, Zakaria etc would either cost more because we’re Man United, or wouldn’t be an upgrade.

Terminator

Very good player. In the current day and age, fair price as well. Its not 2006 anymore.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He’s our best midfielder what are you guys smoking in here saying he’s not worth the fee?

Ekeke

Hell no. Allan was £22 million this past summer and hes a better DM. Hojberg was £14.2 million this summer and is no worse

RashyForPM

Hell no. Allan was £22 million this past summer and hes a better DM. Hojberg was £14.2 million this summer and is no worse
Hojbjerg is definitely not as good as Fred, and Allan is 30. Fred was 25 on the date of purchase. Also, the way Fred has been playing since the start of last season, Allan would not be an upgrade if we swapped with Everton. I’d argue they are at the same level now.

ROFLUTION

Okay. Ronaldo was originally 12m so that renders everyone above that number terrible too by that logic.

Allan is good, and Hojbjerg too, but I dont agree they're as good as Fred. Allan is comparable. Fred gets more places and is more energetic than Højbjerg (also Allan). Was bought at age 25 too, Allan was not - you pay for the prime-years a player has left and Fred was bought here to play in his prime.

Money well spent, Fred is class.

Ekeke

Okay. Ronaldo was originally 12m so that renders everyone above that number terrible too by that logic.

Allan is good, and Hojbjerg too, but I dont agree they're as good as Fred. Allan is comparable. Fred gets more places and is more energetic than Højbjerg (also Allan). Was bought at age 25 too, Allan was not - you pay for the prime-years a player has left and Fred was bought here to play in his prime.

Money well spent, Fred is class.
Douglas Luiz was just as good last night, he was just under £15 million as well

Sorry, he's improved and he's our best pressing midfielder but he leaves a lot to be desired on the ball and there are loads of players just as good who cost a lot less

redNATION

Fabinho was a huge failure from the club. He was a Utd fan and from the links it seemed like he wanted us to go for him 12 months before he joined Liverpool.
Exactly, I don’t profess to be a scout or anything but when we were throwing money at the likes of Di Maria and Schneiderlin, I thought Fabinho and Mane were obvious signings for the club and I’m amazed our scouts didn’t catch on. At least we somewhat appear to have upped our game in that department lately (*looks nervously at AWB and Maguire :angel:*)

El Presidente

Have said it for a while, he is my second favorite player here and only because Fernandes is ridiculous.

He’s not just in great “form”, this is simply the player we’ve bought. Some players just need more time.

His ball retention, interceptions, energy are secone to none. Seriously, couldn’t name someone better at it right now. His passing and vision has improved. The only issue I have is his first touch since he actually needs it massively in his position but he’s a guy that is going in the right direction.

POF

Fred has been great but how much credit does Ole deserve for his development. He was a complete flop when Ole took over but he gave the Fred/McTominay combination a chance to impress and they have taken it fantastically.

I felt for him when he was dropped for Pogba post lockdown. It was really harsh on him after he was a key reason behind the upturn in form.

He's played his way back in again and he's rightly seen as a key man now.

His energy is great and he's a good tidy passer. Apart from his finishing, his main weakness is a lack discipline. He gives away some infuriatingly stupid free kicks.

RUCK4444

Ole has brought the absolute best out in Fred, he needs credit for that, there was a time when he was battered on here for being a waste of money.

When he’s in this form he’s a very important player for us, winning the ball and springing the attack, he’s been brilliant at that, aside from the red card he’s been one of our best players this season.

Douglas Luiz was just as good last night, he was just under £15 million as well

Sorry, he's improved and he's our best pressing midfielder but he leaves a lot to be desired on the ball and there are loads of players just as good who cost a lot less
I agree. It’s the fact that Fred is different to our other midfielders, and so his qualities stand out in relation to them.

in the wider picture, he’s nothing special, and the praise some posters are giving him is over the top.

having said that, he’s playing well, I’m pleased about that and he’s an important part of the squad because he offers things none of our other midfields do.

Mcking

He needs a partner. Someone who does something similar or with more discipline would be very good.

Ekeke

I agree. It’s the fact that Fred is different to our other midfielders, and so his qualities stand out in relation to them.

in the wider picture, he’s nothing special, and the praise some posters are giving him is over the top.

having said that, he’s playing well, I’m pleased about that and he’s an important part of the squad because he offers things none of our other midfields do.
I agree but its weird at the same time because some other midfielders with the same strengths werent cult favourites so its hard to follow the pattern. He puts in the overall most effort in terms of running, closing down and ball winning out of midfielders but a lot of other teams have the same or better than him for a snip of the price

OrcaFat

Decent player, decent value at £50m. Gets through a lot of work and we need him.

Long term I see him as a valuable squad player who will, for sure, start 20 games a season. I would like to think we will get a top level DM in before too long, someone with a cooler head and more quality on the ball, but I would not be looking to get rid of Fred at all. I think he is half a notch below what we need in our first choice 11.

sillwuka

He's completely turned it around.

During his first season 99% of our fanbase would have said he was a flop, ask the same people now and I'm sure they'd say he's been a success.

cyril C

Remember what people said about Fred 2-3 years ago? Don't jinx the man, just cut down on unforced yellow and he would be OK

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Allan is 29 years old and turns 30 in next couple of days. Fred was signed when he was 25 years old. Age also influences the transfer fees here as investment not just based on player’s ability, that’s why some people think Matic for 40m was poor investment since we signed him when he was 29 and a year later people already discussed about his replacement. I disagree with Hojberg.

Status
Not open for further replies.