Fred - £47m well spent

Status
Not open for further replies.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Fred will never create anything or bang in goals from midfield and he shouldn't be expected to either, thats not his skill set and thats not why he was bought, his job is to break up the oppositions play and shield the defense and pass it to our creative midfielders. What's scandalous is actually pairing him with another defensive midfielder and expecting us to go and dominate games. Him and another DM means our forwards get feck all service so our only output is through the wings. Shaw is good in that role but he was rested, AWB is shite at that role. So from where did our manager think we'll score tonight ?

Fred should be playing behind bruno and pogba and then he will excel.

-------------------------------------------------------------------fred--------------------------------------------------------------------
------greenwood/james-----------------bruno-------------------pogba---------------martial/rashford---------
--------------------------------------------------cavani/martial/greenwood-------------------------------------------------
You'd seriously trust him to be the sole DM? Tielemans strolled past him comfortably for their second goal ffs :lol:

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
There is no excuse to racially abuse anybody. No matter what you think about their footballing skills or if they deserve to be in your favourite team.
Disgusting! And it's happening again, after Rashford, Pogba, Martial...

HerbT

Supports
man city fc
Just read the beginning of this thread to see how ridiculous post-Leicester comments are. Fred is not world class, he is not anywhere as good as Kante or Ndidi, but he is most definitely not a bad player. He was horrible yesterday - that is one game. He was most likely burnt-out and out of form. Manager should have known that and not have started him, esp with Matic. It was Ole's fault more than Fred's
Is Fred worth the £47M he cost?

Yes, undoubtedly and IMO he’d show himself worth much more if he played in a well coached / organised team rather than a poorly schooled group of generally brilliant individuals.

I suppose that the acid test is to compare him to other buys and on that basis, if Maguire was worth £80M then Fred is worth at least that or more.

The poor bloke gets a regular kicking from some supporters but it’s misplaced aggression that should be aimed at the coaching and tactics that leave him so badly exposed so often.

Esquire

Fred is never going to be anything other than what he is, a hustling, stamina filled player who breaks up play. He had a shocker yesterday but he’s also put in some great performances this year. I for one hope he bounces back cause we will need him for the run-in and Europa.

Will Singh

Fred is never going to be anything other than what he is, a hustling, stamina filled player who breaks up play. He had a shocker yesterday but he’s also put in some great performances this year. I for one hope he bounces back cause we will need him for the run-in and Europa.
I think he needs a rest, he’s a workhorse and if anyone should have been rested it was him.

Makelele

How many goals have we conceeded because Fred doesnt have the composure to recieve the ball under pressure near our box?

Honestly I miss Herrera, this player isnt fit to lace his boots. (And Herrera isnt even a top player)

Freds best attribute is his energy and tenacity. From a technical point of view he is one of the worst CMs we have ever had. His first touch is poor for a DM
Question marks over his involvement in their goal of course, but he should never recieve that ball from Maguire who has an overview better then Fred. He can see that he is putting him in a very difficult situation. His two solutions where to kick it out for a throw in or play a risky one touch pass out right.

passing-wind

His energy and tackles are a good contribution. Does he frustrate me? Yes, so does McTom. But we need what he does. He can and normally does perform at a higher level than last night.
That description sounds like the influence of a player playing for Everton or Southampton. Fred needs to offer more. So far he's going down the Lingard route. Good for a certain level but unable when there's a higher expectation placed on the team.

SuperiorXI

I didn’t know this. This sort of behaviour is disgusting and if it’s our own fans then they ain’t United fans they can feck off!
It happens time and time again to players from many clubs. At this point I am not surprised. The more attention it gets the more likely these scumbags are to do it. Until there is a way to out them, they'll continue to do it.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Players should have accountability for their performances. Blaming Fred’s poor performance on Ole is ridiculous. We can see that Ole has to play Fred, he has no choice. Matic is through, McTominay needed a rest, and Fred’s one skill is work rate. Pogba isn’t fully fit and had to cover for Rashford.

Fred is a decent squad player, but for 47m vs Tielemans for 20?
Yes, squad selection is manager's responsibility and not of any player. Does that shock you? Fred was dreadful yesterday. He is not that bad usually and very likely he was bad because he was tired from run of games. There was no reason to play Fred and Matic together yesterday. There is actually never a good reason to do that. It was an idiotic choice and Ole is responsible for it

Oldham

Obviously not good enough to be starting for a team like United, can't have a starting midfielder with his passing ability.

MikeeMike

Is Fred worth the £47M he cost?

Yes, undoubtedly and IMO he’d show himself worth much more if he played in a well coached / organised team rather than a poorly schooled group of generally brilliant individuals.

I suppose that the acid test is to compare him to other buys and on that basis, if Maguire was worth £80M then Fred is worth at least that or more.

The poor bloke gets a regular kicking from some supporters but it’s misplaced aggression that should be aimed at the coaching and tactics that leave him so badly exposed so often.
28 year old 50m+ player should not need coaching how to NOT play like yesterday.
Blaming anyone else but Fred is laughable. He showed for the pass yesterday and had zero awareness of the danger of taking a touch let alone the schoolboy backpass. Seriously, you think he can be coached not to do that.

Can’t blame him for yesterday as almost whole team was poor.

Judas

Open to offers
Yes it's the tactics and coaching why he can't control a ball, pass well, shoot, easily outmuscled, clumsy tackler, often targeted by the opposition as he's an obvious weakness in one of the most important areas of the pitch. Aye.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Question marks over his involvement in their goal of course, but he should never recieve that ball from Maguire who has an overview better then Fred. He can see that he is putting him in a very difficult situation. His two solutions where to kick it out for a throw in or play a risky one touch pass out right.
We are a team who plays from the back. There was nothing wrong with the pass. The only thing I can say is that Maguire should have told Fred man on, and we don’t know he didnt.

If you can recieve and handle that pass you hbe mo business being a United player. standards on the floor

peridigm

We are a team who plays from the back. There was nothing wrong with the pass. The only thing I can say is that Maguire should have told Fred man on, and we don’t know he didnt.

If you can recieve and handle that pass you hbe mo business being a United player. standards on the floor
Man on as he swings his leg to make the pass? That pass was a horrible decision by Maguire. The touch and pass by Fred was equally horrible.

Cassidy

Man on as he swings his leg to make the pass? That pass was a horrible decision by Maguire. The touch and pass by Fred was equally horrible.
Yes this is quite normal for possession team who play from the back. As well as saying “time”

Camilo

United aren't a pub team - a 50 million pound midfielder should be easily dealing with that pass. He made an arse of it.

Esquire

That description sounds like the influence of a player playing for Everton or Southampton. Fred needs to offer more. So far he's going down the Lingard route. Good for a certain level but unable when there's a higher expectation placed on the team.
I think you are in for a disappointment mate if you think he will turn into a Pirlo. He has improved actually quite a bit from when he joined a couple of years back. You can see he’s improved his trapping and first touch yet it’s still subpar I grant you. That’s why I think he can play in our system but he cannot be the key pivot distributing the ball. The problem is that everyone else sees this and they mark McT out and force the pass to Fred and that’s where the turnover (like yesterday) happens.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Jones has been plagued with injuries, and never lived up to the hype he gained as an 18 year old starting for Rovers, but has been at United for 10 years, won multiple trophies, 20+ England caps including multiple World Cups and a Euro appearance.
Dude. Phil Jones has a grand total of 3 honours awarded to him (according to his Wikipedia page at least). In reverse order.

Europa league 2016/17. He made a grand total of 3 appearances, 0 goals. Once in the group stages and twice (once as sub) both against Rostov in the knockouts. Nothing from QFs onwards.

FA Cup 2015/16 - He made a grand total of zero appearances.

Premier League 2012/13 - His only legitimate trophy, and even then just 17 appearances (13 starts, 4 subs).

Credit where credit’s due, he has a PL medal, which is one more than virtually all your team, but ‘multiple trophies’? He has 2 trophies in competitions where he has actually played, in a decade at Utd.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Yes it's the tactics and coaching why he can't control a ball, pass well, shoot, easily outmuscled, clumsy tackler, often targeted by the opposition as he's an obvious weakness in one of the most important areas of the pitch. Aye.
This. : lol:

We'd need to upgrade from him like how we did from Lingard to Bruno.

NewGlory

This 100%. Both of them shitted their pants.

United aren't a pub team - a 50 million pound midfielder should be easily dealing with that pass. He made an arse of it.
Sure, but that doesn't change the fact that a world-record CB should have never made such idiotic pass back, in the first place.

DSG

Yes, squad selection is manager's responsibility and not of any player. Does that shock you? Fred was dreadful yesterday. He is not that bad usually and very likely he was bad because he was tired from run of games. There was no reason to play Fred and Matic together yesterday. There is actually never a good reason to do that. It was an idiotic choice and Ole is responsible for it
Who would you have played, if not Fred and Matic? I can’t wait to hear your genius solution to this tactical puzzle... And please don’t say McFred, because he clearly needed to rest McTominay.
Wait.... are you really Pep Guardiola or Klopp and just haven’t told us yet?

Cassidy

Who would you have played, if not Fred and Matic? I can’t wait to hear your genius solution to this tactical puzzle... And please don’t say McFred, because he clearly needed to rest McTominay.
He should gave utilised his squad better before today to give himself more options (and keep squad members sharp)

Cassidy

:lol:

‘In other words, “I have no idea, I just need to blame someone, and I choose Ole.”
No. His lack of rotation for certain games has been well documented as well as lack of minutes for VDB. What exactly did he expect to get from him yday?

NewGlory

You may want to try to understand what's written before reaching out for the sword of self-righteous indignation and waving it while angrily typing. Matic and Fred were both used as defensive midfielders. We didn't need two of them at the same time.

But since you asked, here's what my starting line-up would have looked like, using the same players he had for selection:

Henderson
AWB Lindelof Tuanzebe Shaw
Matic Pogba
Cavani Bruno Amad Diallo
Greenwood

After 60th minute (after we would have hopefully been up 2:0), replacements would have been:
Pogba -> McT
Bruno -> DvB
Cavani - Williams
and Shaw -> Telles or Tuanzebe -> Maguire, if necessary

yamo123x

Like many on here, I see Fred as a good squad player but not a starter. He has improved over last 12 months no doubt but he gives the ball away a lot still and there is little or no supply to the front guys.

However he works hard for the team, puts in a shift and is aggressive something the rest of our team lack.

I can forgive a player if he is lacking ability but putting in a shift but not the other way around..... notably Martial and Rashford

yamo123x

You may want to try to understand what's written before reaching out for the sword of self-righteous indignation and waving it while angrily typing. Matic and Fred were both used as defensive midfielders. We didn't need two of them at the same time.

But since you asked, here's what my starting line-up would have looked like, using the same players he had for selection:

Henderson
Matic Pogba
Cavani Bruno Amad Diallo
Greenwood

After 60th minute (after we would have hopefully been up 2:0), replacements would have been:
Pogba -> McT
Bruno -> DvB
Cavani - Williams

I stopped looking once i saw Cavani on the right wing

DSG

Henderson
Matic Pogba
Cavani Bruno Amad Diallo
Greenwood

Pogba -> McT
Bruno -> DvB
Cavani - Williams
Precisely my point... Really not a good answer, is there? Matic is so slow and Pogba’s an indifferent defender at best.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I quite like him and a year and a half ago I thought he was our worst signing (pound for pound) ever. He's a very good squad player. Shouldn't be an automatic starter, but the options aren't there.

Thought the description on No Question About That podcast was brutal but funny: Fred with a weighted through ball to Iheanacho - his first weighted through ball at United :lol:

OhGee

Have to disagree with you on this. Maguire had Telles available on the left and even Lindelof/AWB on the right. Choosing to pass to Fred who was on the verge of being pressed was an error of judgement on his side and he is just as responsible for the goal as Fred was.

Have to disagree with you on this. Maguire had Telles available on the left and even Lindelof/AWB on the right. Choosing to pass to Fred who was on the verge of being pressed was an error of judgement on his side and he is just as responsible for the goal as Fred was.

NewGlory

Precisely my point... Really not a good answer, is there? Matic is so slow and Pogba’s an indifferent defender at best.
Welp, at least Matic wasn't losing balls left and right. And he was there anyway, so - lesser of two evils but either way, he didn't have to be that fast to provide some defensive help to the back line. Let's be real - Leicester was not some great team, we just kept shitting bed and had next to nobody to score

NewGlory

I stopped looking once i saw Cavani on the right wing
It was a list, not a diagram. Our attacking four rotate all the time anyway, and I didn't care to list them in any particular order, since that was not the point at all. But sure - have it your way if all you are seeking is what to nitpick on...

AR87

I don't care about the fee. It's over with.

He played more minutes last season than Pogba has the last two. On top of that he's now played 3000+ more minutes this season, in a grueling campaign.

He's a good squad option being run into the ground because Matic isn't fit for purpose anymore and can't provide any rotation or competition for his spot.

Has he made mistakes? Yes, but if we had a squad with any legitimate depth in quality we'd be fine and Fred would be viewed as a valuable contributor.

The racial abuse is inexcusable.

thepolice123

This guy is the anti Scholes.

Great engine and good tackler.

Incredibly vulnerable to the press and poor passer.

Status
Not open for further replies.