5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

We'll See Out There!

Fred's 1st season was average at best. I'll hope to see an improvement in him from the get go this year but, Pre-season with us, a year under his belt in a new league so lets hope he can get off to a good start. Would like to see a bit of samba flair from him all the same!

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Really hope this lad gets his head down and has a good second season like Lindelof.
I assume we'll still buy a midfielder or two, but he would be like a new signing if he turns it around.

My biggest complaint last season was for a midfielder, how bad his first touch was.
He could be in an empty field and bring pressure on himself and it was quite disturbing, but hopefully we see a different player this season.

tomaldinho1

What about his play will be phenomenal then?
The way I see him, he's a rare mix of skills. He's only 23 and can already play in a role that is difficult from a positional/tactical point of view - on top of this (and this is also the point I was making about Wijnaldum) he doesn't have any glaring weaknesses to his game. That's not to say he's 10/10 at everything but I feel with most CMs you usually sacrifice some characteristics for others, Carrick being a great example in that his technical/tactical/positional ceiling was immense but he was never fast, agile, dynamic etc.

Winks is somewhere in the middle of the spectrum but is generally 'good' at everything. Time will tell but if he can keep developing that good all rounder becomes a pretty awesome player in my mind.

I like the kid, he will be a good player, phenomenal though? I cant see it, he is a player in the Modric style, ie makes games tick on and moves the ball quickly, he will never meet Modric levels I am afraid.
Modric is one of the best midfielders of his generation. If Winks ends up slightly below that level, surely that counts as a phenomenal player?

He won't. Happy to bet some sort of tagline on that.
Haha sure. 'Winky promise' - works on multiple levels ;););)

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
The way I see him, he's a rare mix of skills. He's only 23 and can already play in a role that is difficult from a positional/tactical point of view - on top of this (and this is also the point I was making about Wijnaldum) he doesn't have any glaring weaknesses to his game. That's not to say he's 10/10 at everything but I feel with most CMs you usually sacrifice some characteristics for others, Carrick being a great example in that his technical/tactical/positional ceiling was immense but he was never fast, agile, dynamic etc.

Winks is somewhere in the middle of the spectrum but is generally 'good' at everything. Time will tell but if he can keep developing that good all rounder becomes a pretty awesome player in my mind.

Modric is one of the best midfielders of his generation. If Winks ends up slightly below that level, surely that counts as a phenomenal player?

Haha sure. 'Winky promise' - works on multiple levels ;););)
But he's showing roughly the same as Jack Wilshere was at 18/19 and he's now at Bournemouth is it? I appreciate that there's definitely injury and attitude problems with Wilshere but even still. I just don't think he's got extra levels in there and he's coming off what was in my opinion a pretty poor season too.

If you compare with say Fletcher at 22/23 that was when he started putting in those huge big game performances even if he could still go missing at times. McTominay is just showing signs of a similar sort of thing now at 22.

I'm not saying Winks won't improve, obviously he should, but to call him phenomenal is really out there to my mind.

passing-wind

Don't see Fred improving here, if he was under Poch or Guardiola I think they would at the very least be able to effectively coach his weaknesses but with Carrick / McKenna it's hardly appeasing considering not one player has improved individually since they have been given the coaching roles (Solskjaer included).

I can't say Fred is a bad player because he was very good in Ukraine and his performances for Shaktar in the champions league. But whenever you ask a technical player to play in a team with no identity, no vision, massive lack of tactical acumen your always asking for trouble.

AdNani

Don't see Fred improving here, if he was under Poch or Guardiola I think they would at the very least be able to effectively coach his weaknesses but with Carrick / McKenna it's hardly appeasing considering not one player has improved individually since they have been given the coaching roles (Solskjaer included).

I can't say Fred is a bad player because he was very good in Ukraine and his performances for Shaktar in the champions league. But whenever you ask a technical player to play in a team with no identity, no vision, massive lack of tactical acumen your always asking for trouble.
McKenna is a fantastic coach ffs

passing-wind

McKenna is a fantastic coach ffs
Correct at U18 level. Seemingly this has no correlation to coach a team to win major honours at a much more competitive level. Our management is full of individuals who are not of the calibre to give us the capabilities of winning a league. Everyone except maybe Phelan is inexperienced and proven nothing.

AdNani

Correct at U18 level. Seemingly this has no correlation to coach a team to win major honours at a much more competitive level. Our management is full of individuals who are not of the calibre to give us the capabilities of winning a league. Everyone except maybe Phelan is inexperienced and proven nothing.
Except maybe Phelan :lol::lol:

Phelan is definitely proven and experienced at coaching level. Love it how you’ve just came to the conclusion that none of them are good enough.

Despite McKenna being fantastic at all other levels. He’s shite at 1st team level. Makes sense.

Carrick is an Unknown. Must be shite then

Solskjaer had the best record in the league in the time he was here. So shite, so so shite.

tomaldinho1

But he's showing roughly the same as Jack Wilshere was at 18/19 and he's now at Bournemouth is it? I appreciate that there's definitely injury and attitude problems with Wilshere but even still. I just don't think he's got extra levels in there and he's coming off what was in my opinion a pretty poor season too.

If you compare with say Fletcher at 22/23 that was when he started putting in those huge big game performances even if he could still go missing at times. McTominay is just showing signs of a similar sort of thing now at 22.

I'm not saying Winks won't improve, obviously he should, but to call him phenomenal is really out there to my mind.
I'm cognizant this a Fred thread so don't want to derail. Wilshere is not good comparison, they play completely differently it's just because he's English and was seen to be 'technical' compared to other English players - you're right though, JW was unlucky with injuries and his attitude wasn't good and that alone is the biggest difference between the top top players. Just look at CR7's obsession with improving.

I like McT but he's far more limited than Winks in my mind. Let's see how he kicks on this season though, had some excellent games towards the end of last season.

On Fred - if he sorts his touch out and keeps what he does a lot more simple, he should be good enough to be a decent midfielder for us. Don't see him being the player we hoped for but he'll be solid and can fill the Herrera void.

Status
Not open for further replies.