5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Murray3007

Not been great most of the times for us, but who has this season ? needs to just be put in the side and played to see how he reacts see if he can perfrom, if nothing else would add bite and energy to the midfield.

gregor

Pogba, Herrera, Fred would be, at the moment, obvious choice for anybody except for Jose.

Last edited:

Ekeke

I would just keep playing him.How else is he going to adjust to the League if he isn't featuring ?

50 million and he rarely features,abit of a joke really.
Pretty much. If he was playing every week and didnt look good enough to be playing its one thing. But to take him out of the team most of the time we dont really get to evaluate him

red4ever 79

Give him a run of 10 games alongisde Pogba and Herrera. He has been messed around in and out of the line up, he has been messed around with playing with different players all the time. There is no consistency in anything we do except play Matic and Fellaini and Lukaku every game. Fred looks like a decent player, give him time and give him consistent opportunities.

Loublaze

ATLien
I said this long time and people were laughing at me.
I still kinda doubt it but im more open to the idea. Its baffling. However, based on the post above about Mourinho's comments on the need for a Brazilian midfielder before we signed Fred and going back to his initial treatment of Mkhitaryan it makes you wonder. He did Salah the same way at Chelsea.

el3mel

I still kinda doubt it but im more open to the idea. Its baffling. However, based on the post above about Mourinho's comments on the need for a Brazilian midfielder before we signed Fred and going back to his initial treatment of Mkhitaryan it makes you wonder. He did Salah the same way at Chelsea.
I don't know about Mikhi but everything about Fred screams it was a scouts choice and Mourinho just said "ok, go for it" or something.

I have several doubts about Fred's style myself, but I think fairer analysis of him will be under the next manager, unless he falls out of favor with him, at the moment, will be harsh to say he's going to succeed or fail.

FujiVice

Andy Mitten got interviewed on RedCafe favourite Pil De Brun's podcast tonight. He said when United signed him, he decided to go and interview people who knew him personally and as a player. And he said the general opinion of Fred was "he's a lovely guy, but he's not United class." And that's from people who knew him, so feck knows what Mourinho must have thought when he sees him in training.

Loublaze

ATLien
Andy Mitten got interviewed on RedCafe favourite Pil De Brun's podcast tonight. He said when United signed him, he decided to go and interview people who knew him personally and as a player. And he said the general opinion of Fred was "he's a lovely guy, but he's not United class." And that's from people who knew him, so feck knows what Mourinho must have thought when he sees him in training.
Did he mention who these people supposedly close to Fred are? Sounds like BS to me. What's United class these days anyway? Matic and Fellaini are mainstays and pivotal to this manager of ours.

Wayne's World

If he played in a high energy, pressing side I reckon he'd be a fantastic player but we aren't playing to any of his strengths.

He still deserves a chance though because I have seen signs of a good player in him but Mourinho isn't going to get the best out of him

FujiVice

Did he mention who these people supposedly close to Fred are? Sounds like BS to me. What's United class these days anyway? Matic and Fellaini are mainstays and pivotal to this manager of ours.
A journalist is hardly going to reveal who told him a player wasnt good enough to sign for a club. That's a good way to make sure nobody ever speaks to you again.

And have some context of what he meant. United class in the sense that if you are paying £50/60 million for someone to improve your side, he isnt of that ilk.

Loublaze

ATLien
A journalist is hardly going to reveal who told him a player wasnt good enough to sign for a club. That's a good way to make sure nobody ever speaks to you again.

And have some context of what he meant. United class in the sense that if you are paying £50/60 million for someone to improve your side, he isnt of that ilk.
IMO he's an improvement on the players I mentioned above who get all the playing time. 50 mil is the new 30 million, its what top teams can expect to pay for players with Fred's profile and experience. Jorginho cost Chelsea even more at 57 m and he's been hit and miss for me, he's not exactly blowing everyone away at Stamford Bridge.

el3mel

I have several doubts on him, as he looks very erratic and chaotic footballer who runs around like a headless chicken, basically another Herrera, but it will be fairer to evaluate him under a new manager as Mourinho obviously didn't want him. However, peoole need to adjust their expectations for him then as United fans tend to give certain aura to every new player before seeing him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I have several doubts on him, as he looks very erratic and chaotic footballer who runs around like a headless chicken, basically another Herrera, but it will be fairer to evaluate him under a new manager as Mourinho obviously didn't want him. However, peoole need to adjust their expectations for him then as United fans tend to give certain aura to every new player before seeing him.

Oh dear, Jose didn't want anyone at this rate and in few days Jose didn't even want ManUtd job but was forced to do it.

Canagel

He's better than Herrera . Fred plays with an injection of pace that's been lacking in our team for years. That's partly why he's struggling (the team doesn't play attacking football) and also why it looks erratic to you Wouldn't look out of place at City or Liverpool imo he's sound.

el3mel

He's better than Herrera . Fred plays with an injection of pace that's been lacking in our team for years. That's partly why he's struggling (the team doesn't play attacking football) and also why it looks erratic to you Wouldn't look out of place at City or Liverpool imo he's sound.
Herrera was like than when he joined, maybe even better during LVG first season and had pretty high quality on the ball. He just regressed massively later on and became limited.

Fred runs a lot and brings pace to midfield which is refreshing to see thanks to the snails we're playing there but I'm talking about his quality on the ball. Currently he represents a fresh air to our midfield but once we start playing faster football under a new manager, what he does with the ball will be the thing to evaluate not that he runs a lot in midfield.

I'm not going to take a conclusion on him till a new manager arrives as it's harsh to evaluate him 100% under a manager who didn't ask for him, but we need to adjust our expectations when this happens.

Canagel

Herrera was like than when he joined, maybe even better during LVG first season and had pretty high quality on the ball. He just regressed massively later on and became limited.

Fred runs a lot and brings pace to midfield which is refreshing to see thanks to the snails we're playing there but I'm talking about his quality on the ball. Currently he represents a fresh air to our midfield but once we start playing faster football under a new manager, what he does with the ball will be the thing to evaluate not that he runs a lot in midfield.

I'm not going to take a conclusion on him till a new manager arrives as it's harsh to evaluate him 100% under a manager who didn't ask for him, but we need to adjust our expectations when this happens.
I definitely believe he's got quality on the ball 100% he can pass short, play quick one twos and receive the ball on the run, he can play crossfield pass both left and right foot (quite surprised at this , he's very two footed) switching the play from side to side and he's very calm under pressure capable of evading tackles and beating the press (where he's better than Herrera imo but Herrera is better at tackles/interceptions or anticipating the danger and cutting it out)
There's a lot more to come I'm quite excited actually to see what he can do under different coach
And even if he's not as good as we thought on the ball a new manager will still get more out of him. Klopp managed to get midfield of Henderson and Milner to CL final just by running and nothing special on the ball . So it's win win situation anyway

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Don't understand situation with him. Then and there gets a chance, plays good and next 5 games he doesn't play. :confused:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Agree. At least with those 2 you know you'll get lots of energy and hard work trying to win the ball and both can pick out a front player occasionally
Both have plenty of quality on the ball and would play it quickly. No holding on to the ball for an hour and over complicating things, and well balanced IMO. Gives us a lot more flexibility and dynamism from the rest of the team too.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Both have plenty of quality on the ball and would play it quickly. No holding on to the ball for an hour and over complicating things, and well balanced IMO. Gives us a lot more flexibility and dynamism from the rest of the team too.
Well, Mourinho seems to think otherwise.

Brophs

The One and Only
Andy Mitten did an interview with Pilib De Bruin last night and described having spoken to people who know Fred well at the time of the transfer and the feeling was ‘nice lad, surprised he’s going to United, not at the required level’.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Well, Mourinho seems to think otherwise.
Yeah but whatever Mourinho thinks clearly isn't working and hasn't been working. Mourinho seems to be in love with 2 players who have been awful for ages yet plays them every game (until recently with Lukaku thankfully). Herrera in a midfield 2 won our player of the season in Mourinho's first year. Mourinho then signs a player to replace him and we never got a similar performance level consistently out of that position since Herrera had it in 16/17.

settembrini

Fred is a defensive player though. He is not a prolific goal scorer or creator. His best qualities are his pressing, tackling, intercepting. It's why Guardiola wanted him as City's Fernandhino replacement.

It's no wonder he can't get in our team when Mourinho doesn't even understand what sort of player he is.

Ekeke

I mean, I was pretty sure when we signed him that he wouldnt be as good defensively as Ander and it seems Mourinho realizes this too. Unfortunately we disagree on Matic's importance. So I kinda see where he's coming from but it makes our transfer plans seem quite disjointed. Mourinho wanted an expensive CB last summer, I'm assuming that if that player had come in and made our defense a lot better than he would be willing to pick Fred more.

Reminds me of when a former Liverpool manager - was it Dalglish maybe? Liverpool signed a midfield player and they didnt sign a 2nd of his midfield targets, so he said that he needed that 2nd midfield player as well and thats why the other player wasnt working out or something. I thought it was Charlie Adam and they needed Gareth Barry as well or something like that but maybe it was Joe Allen and someone.

peridigm

Would understand if he wanted away. The treatment he and others are getting from Jose will cause players to think twice before coming here.

WPMUFC

This is completely fecking circular logic. We don't play fred because it needs to be defensively stronger, So lets keep starting Matic, a player that has destroyed the midfield defensively. He made the likes of Townsend look like Xavi FFS. So going by Jose's logic, we will have to sign a player to replace matic and/or more CB's and FB's before Fred will shine. WTF? :lol::houllier::lol:

dropping points to fulham tonight will essentially put us 10 pts back from 4th and all but securing Jose's sacking. How about just trying Fred with pogba and herrera and just see how it goes? You have nothing to lose and at lease the likes of fred and herrera will probably go 100mph for 90 mins. Matic just compromises the entire midfield. Try Fred FFS.

Last edited:

WPMUFC

Jose Mourinho is full of shit.
he's essentially admitting we spent 50 million on a player that can't play without likely dropping 100+ million in additional players to sure up CDM and CB/FB.

What a confidence booster for Fred. :lol::houllier:

haram

Some of you really think this defence is going to get us anywhere.

WPMUFC

Some of you really think this defence is going to get us anywhere.
it's the same defence that had the second best record in the PL last season. Why is he splashing 50 million on Fred if he can't play him with his current defenders and CDM's? I think that is almost the dictionary definition of "pissing money down the drain".

haram

it's the same defence that had the second best record in the PL last season. Why is he splashing 50 million on Fred if he can't play him with his current defenders and CDM's? I think that is almost the dictionary definition of "pissing money down the drain".
Wonder why it had the second best record in the PL last year. We are supposed to build a team. How was Jose supposed to know that after signing Fred nothing else was going to happen? We clearly needed width and defenders but somehow that’s the managers fault now.

Stactix

Wonder why it had the second best record in the PL last year. We are supposed to build a team. How was Jose supposed to know that after signing Fred nothing else was going to happen? We clearly needed width and defenders but somehow that’s the managers fault now.
What did Mourinho need at Chelsea after winning the title I wonder?

Same manager, title winning season, 2nd place season. followed by relegation battle & mid table battle. Did both teams need Maguire at the back?
Would help if Mourinho didn't constantly put down players in public including the fecking youth team when he's been royal shite himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.