Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Can't wait to see him performing 1-2 pass with Pogba. He'll definitely win us free kicks with that close control and now that we also have a decent free kick taker in Pereira, there's something forward to look for.

Brightonian

He was about 3 levels below last season what Salah and Mane were. Don't romantacise Sanchez based on what he once was, he was pretty poor last season for us. Wouldn't be as big a problem if we had someone on the RW too, but we don't, so more impetus falls on Sanchez and he's just currently far behind the likes of Sane, Mane, Hazard in his equivalent position.
If we're not allowed to look before last season, you have to pay attention to right now. He looks razor sharp, a completely different prospect to the slow half-season he managed with us.

'Stuck with Sanchez' is the stupidest thing I've heard in this forum all summer, and that's really saying something.

jesperjaap

Hope he does well and breaks the Brazilian cm curse here. From the little I have seen of him he is definately the right type of player for our midfield. On paper our midfield for the first time in years actually looks pretty good again, sadly apart from in goal those are the only parts do look genuine quality throughout

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Hope he does well and breaks the Brazilian cm curse here. From the little I have seen of him he is definately the right type of player for our midfield. On paper our midfield for the first time in years actually looks pretty good again, sadly apart from in goal those are the only parts do look genuine quality throughout
To be fair he was born and raised in Belgium so it's hardly like we're actually taking him from the streets of Brazil.

El-Manos

To be fair he was born and raised in Belgium so it's hardly like we're actually taking him from the streets of Brazil.
He was? Pretty sure I read he was born in Brazil. Didn't Shaktar buy him from International?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Only lacking a consistent goal threat from midfield. Think that’s the only area we can improve, although we have the players to do it.

Pogba really should be getting 10 league goals.

NoLogo

Only lacking a consistent goal threat from midfield. Think that’s the only area we can improve, although we have the players to do it.

Pogba really should be getting 10 league goals.
I think he could do it if we play 4-3-3 and him having licenses to roam forward while Matic and Fred need to keep the defensive shape.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He was about 3 levels below last season what Salah and Mane were. Don't romantacise Sanchez based on what he once was, he was pretty poor last season for us. Wouldn't be as big a problem if we had someone on the RW too, but we don't, so more impetus falls on Sanchez and he's just currently far behind the likes of Sane, Mane, Hazard in his equivalent position.
This post. :lol:

Canagel

This post. :lol:
What's wrong with it? There's nothing wrong in what he's saying. Sanchez was terrible last season. No other way to put it. He might improve individually this season and we all hope he hits the ground running but if he isn't on his game we will struggle again because we are relying on him, Pogba and Lukaku to do something in attack. Those three players mentioned were miles ahead of Sanchez last season.

ivaldo

What's wrong with it? There's nothing wrong in what he's saying. Sanchez was terrible last season. No other way to put it. He might improve individually this season and we all hope he hits the ground running but if he isn't on his game we will struggle again because we are relying on him, Pogba and Lukaku to do something in attack. Those three players mentioned were miles ahead of Sanchez last season.
Isn’t there? Apparently, we aren’t allowed to use the last decade of his playing career as evidence of his quality because it’s in the past, but we are allowed to use the last 6 months, for some unknown reason, despite also being in the past. So if we are to use this way of thinking, why aren’t we looking at what he’s doing so far in pre season, where he’s looked incredibly fit and sharp?

It’s almost as though all those comments about him being absolutely shattered last season were true. Don’t let that get in the way of a good moan. Honestly, this fecking forum is a mess.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Isn’t there? Apparently, we aren’t allowed to use the last decade of his playing career as evidence of his quality because it’s in the past, but we are allowed to use the last 6 months, for some unknown reason, despite also being in the past. So if we are to use this way of thinking, why aren’t we looking at what he’s doing so far in pre season, where he’s looked incredibly fit and sharp?

It’s almost as though all those comments about him being absolutely shattered last season were true. Don’t let that get in the way of a good moan. Honestly, this fecking forum is a mess.
It's valid because it's a years worth of performances at 2 different clubs, in addition to his age. He looked as if he was suffering an early decline, and that's something that just happens unfortunately. He's turning 30 this season, he was always going to be short term. Last season just seemed like he had started a bit earlier, while this pre-season is giving hope that it isn't the case. Though it's only pre-season, so we'll see when the season starts. It doesn't really matter what he's done throughout his career, just like it didn't matter that Rooney was our all time top scorer, because he was already past the declining phase and into burnt out phase at around 28, and still was a starter for a good 2-3 seasons after that.

Hoof the ball

Did anyone notice the odd behaviour in his last match?! The ball came to him and instead of controlling it, he....he.....did a half turn and ran out of the press! What is this witchcraft?!

AlexUTD

Fred hates

Pereira will not be a starter, be surprised if he starts more than 5 league games.
Pretty sure Pereira starts against Leicester with Matic injuried anyway. If he impresses there he will get a run of games. Even if he did not impress we have 3 cups also we play in so 5 games is a little bit pessimistic to say the least.

@Hoof The Ball without even passing backwards!? How is that even possible!?

ivaldo

It's valid because it's a years worth of performances at 2 different clubs, in addition to his age. He looked as if he was suffering an early decline, and that's something that just happens unfortunately. He's turning 30 this season, he was always going to be short term. Last season just seemed like he had started a bit earlier, while this pre-season is giving hope that it isn't the case. Though it's only pre-season, so we'll see when the season starts. It doesn't really matter what he's done throughout his career, just like it didn't matter that Rooney was our all time top scorer, because he was already past the declining phase and into burnt out phase at around 28, and still was a starter for a good 2-3 seasons after that.
At what point did Rooney ever return to pre season looking this sharp? His age? He turned 29 last year ffs. Everyon close to the player was saying, and it was repeated many times, that Sanchez was suffering massively from fatigue, but this seems to be entirely forgotten. This has been his first full sumems break from football in 9 years, and his first without a major international tournament in 4.

Instead of looking at this within the context of his last few seasons, where he's played huge amounts of football with no rest, it's looked at in the worse possible way (shock). Now we have evidence to support these claims - a seemingly revitalised Sanchez in preseason - and we ignore them?

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
At what point did Rooney ever return to pre season looking this sharp? His age? He turned 29 last year ffs. Everyon close to the player was saying, and it was repeated many times, that Sanchez was suffering massively from fatigue, but this seems to be entirely forgotten. Instead of looking at this within the context of his last few seasons, where he's played huge amounts of football with no rest, it's looked at in the worse possible way (shock). Now we have evidence to support these claims - a seemingly revitalised Sanchez in preseason - and we ignore them?
It's not ignoring them, it's looking at them with some caution. Could be he performs well for a brief period and then goes back to how he was last season. Could be that he just needed that rest. I'm sure he'll be better then last season, hard not to tbh, and hopefully hes back to close his best, but it's not outrageous to have some caution about it considering how he just looked like a player who was affected by age and fatigue. Could be that he just needed a rest, but could be that it's just him declining earlier. A few preseason performances is hardly evidence to suggest hes back to his best. Perfectly fair to be skeptical and wait for the real stuff to begin.

ivaldo

It's not ignoring them, it's looking at them with some caution. Could be he performs well for a brief period and then goes back to how he was last season. Could be that he just needed that rest. I'm sure he'll be better then last season, hard not to tbh, and hopefully hes back to close his best, but it's not outrageous to have some caution about it considering how he just looked like a player who was affected by age and fatigue. Could be that he just needed a rest, but could be that it's just him declining earlier. A few preseason performances is hardly evidence to suggest hes back to his best. Perfectly fair to be skeptical and wait for the real stuff to begin.
It's not caution. Caution would be taking context into consideration. Saying "he's 2 or 3 levels below" those aforementioned players shows sod all caution. It's a statement.

He's not had a full summer off for 9 years, he's played in major tournaments for the last four. Plenty of people far closer to Sanchez, including the man himself, has stated he's suffering with fatigue. After having his first full summer off he's come back and looked entirely revitalised, and thats the message we are also getting from the club. This is the evidence and context that supports my view. Where is the context and evidence that supports your claim that he's been in decline over the past year at the tender age of 29?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Pereira will not be a starter, be surprised if he starts more than 5 league games.
He will start a lot of games as Matic's season is unclear and we don't even know about possible recovery time and complications after that. Add to that occasional injuries happening every season and with 4 parallel competitions going on Pereira will simply have to play.

Fingers crossed the injuries won't happen and Matic will be fine but I just can't exclude the possibility.

marktan

If we're not allowed to look before last season, you have to pay attention to right now. He looks razor sharp, a completely different prospect to the slow half-season he managed with us.

'Stuck with Sanchez' is the stupidest thing I've heard in this forum all summer, and that's really saying something.
Well to be perfectly frank I don't rate him as a wide forward, I didn't want him in Jan and still don't. He can't beat a man, he doesn't dribble, his skills are finishing, runs and playing a pass. Which is pretty much the same skillset as all our other 'wide forwards'. If we had Mane on one wing and Sanchez on the other I'd be fine, but having two wide players that can't create width is a problem.

You're being very generous if last season he was knackered when he couldn't beat a man to save his life, and this season he's looking great.. in pre-season friendlies.

Look he is a good player and I do hope he plays well for us, but it's a fact the he's 29 and seldom ever dribbles with the ball, which is what our team is crying out for. Look at the other teams - Sterling/Sane, Mane/Salah, Hazard - all of these can provide width and beat a man. I don't dislike Sanchez but the reason I say we're stuck with him on the wing is because none of our wide forwards can beat a man consistently, all of the prefer getting the ball to feet and playing a pass. If we signed Mahrez for example then I'd be very happy with Mahrez and Sanchez as a wide pair as one can dribble and stretch, but currently we're stuck with Sanchez and Lingard as a pair and it's just seriously way off what's needed for a top team.

ivaldo

Well to be perfectly frank I don't rate him as a wide forward, I didn't want him in Jan and still don't. He can't beat a man, he doesn't dribble, his skills are finishing, runs and playing a pass. Which is pretty much the same skillset as all our other 'wide forwards'. If we had Mane on one wing and Sanchez on the other I'd be fine, but having two wide players that can't create width is a problem.

You're being very generous if last season he was knackered when he couldn't beat a man to save his life, and this season he's looking great.. in pre-season friendlies.

Look he is a good player and I do hope he plays well for us, but it's a fact the he's 29 and seldom ever dribbles with the ball, which is what our team is crying out for. Look at the other teams - Sterling/Sane, Mane/Salah, Hazard - all of these can provide width and beat a man. I don't dislike Sanchez but the reason I say we're stuck with him on the wing is because none of our wide forwards can beat a man consistently, all of the prefer getting the ball to feet and playing a pass. If we signed Mahrez for example then I'd be very happy with Mahrez and Sanchez as a wide pair as one can dribble and stretch, but currently we're stuck with Sanchez and Lingard as a pair and it's just seriously way off what's needed for a top team.
Hold the phone... he’s 29? TWENTY NINE!

Salah managed 2.08 take ons per 90min last season in the league, Sane 2.59 a game, Mane 1.79 and Sterling 1.7. Sanchez? 3.42. The only player you’ve mentioned that has more successful take ons per game is Hazard. Sanchez is also significantly more successful with his dribbling than all those aforementioned players other than Hazard. It helps when you watch the game objectively.

He’s not had a full holiday in 9 years, he’s played major tournaments in the last four. You can’t seriously sit there and pretend fatigue hasn’t played a part in it.

Last edited:

AR87

Great video of some individual highlights of Fred. Fantastic touch, control, passing, tricks and intelligence and work rate. Very fast to the ball and positioning as well.

Obviously we don't know how it will translate in the PL, but the skills he brings are ones we've been deficient in and should pair well alongside Pogba and Matic.

One thing I enjoyed about his performance along with Pereira's throughout preseason is how they're always looking to play balls through the lines or carry it forward. We've needed more thrust in midfield for a long time and asking Pogba to provide it all on his own was too much. I think we'll be more balanced in our approach and that will give us more control in matches than we had at times last year.

EyeInTheSky

Obviously we don't know how it will translate in the PL, but the skills he brings are ones we've been deficient in and should pair well alongside Pogba and Matic.

One thing I enjoyed about his performance along with Pereira's throughout preseason is how they're always looking to play balls through the lines or carry it forward. We've needed more thrust in midfield for a long time and asking Pogba to provide it all on his own was too much. I think we'll be more balanced in our approach and that will give us more control in matches than we had at times last year.
yep, for sure. It was only a friendly but was still al level above in contrast to everyone else. It is an even playing field in the sense and Madrid are no mugs but its hard to tell with fitness levels all over the place.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
For those worried about him playing in competitive games...his best games came in the Champions League.

The only question left for Fred is if he has the fitness levels to play 50 games a season. The quality is there.

deafepl

Think we're in for a treat, Pereira and Fred have passed more through the line than Herrera and Matic, they all both know when to play safe or pass forward, Pogba play an advanced role behind Periera and Fred would have done more damage to the final third.

Can7onA

He gets rid of it quick, I like that.

It's what none of our midfielders can do.

tenpoless

I think He'll take our midfield to the next level, We badly need a player like him and He brings stuffs that none of our other midfielders can bring. A very sensible signing.

Litch

Quality is there to see and not surprised City wanted him too. He's genuinely the kind of player that wouldn't look out of place in any top team given his technical ability. The question remains like all new signings; the weight of expectation wearing the shirt and the ability to play in a very unforgiving league that can often find people out. Looking forward to seeing more of him.....

Canagel

He gets rid of it quick, I like that.

It's what none of our midfielders can do.
And more importantly moves it forward. Not many players have that confidence as it easy as it may sound.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Frego is going to be some player for United. Sometimes you just know It's like kind of falling in love.

MetoTTT

This lad could be a great player for us. I didn't have that feeling for years now. Excellent technique, vision, keeps it simple, one touch when needed...and a lot of forward passes, passion and emergency/energy in his game. I adore him already.

Status
Not open for further replies.