5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drz

Where is the 'like' button for this post? This is exactly what happened, the team was broken in two groups of five players where Fred was supposed to carry the ball through 5 players of Wolves (the 2 strikers and the 3 cms) while getting no support from the other two midfielders. The distance from Fred, who had to pick the ball 3-5 meters away from Smalldini and Lindelof to Pogba or Scott was criminal at times.

He was at fault for the goal, yes. But he had an overall good game considering all the work he had to do while defending(the ground he had to cover, press, recover balls and also cover for full backs) and also had to carry the ball forward all by himself because his teammates wouldn't help him.

Even the best player in the world needs to be protected, why shouldn't our lone defensive midfielder? Of course that he needs to be protected, the first defender of our team is the striker, not the DM, that's the problem with some of the players, they think that because they play for Manchester United they don't need to work their socks off. When actually they need to work harder than the other teams in order to be at the level we aspire to be.
I see Fred as more Box to Box. But rightfully you can't use such a player alone to do the grunt work, you need at least another box to box or DM type. So with Scott instructed to play and press high, that left Pogba and Fred. If you forgo the mistake by the latter, and look at the interceptions/Passing stats one did their job whilst the other didn't.

reddevil702

Needs to be played more, you can't expect a player who plays one out every five games to come in a be in top form. His mistake was costly but outside of that I thought he was deserves to be in the starting XI vs Barca. He's a player who's always trying to go forward and that's very difficult with our lack of movement. If we keep Matic as our CDM he should play on the right side of our midfield 3 as he can help Pogba create and also defends.

simplyared

This player brings absolutely nothing to the table. Runs around like a headless chicken, goes into far too many situations where he doesn't belong and he creates nothing. A managers nightmare!

GledTheRed

Yagami

Good post resistant
In possession I think he has potential. I've said it a lot but a huge problem of his is that he's too loose with the ball. He has shown to have decent shielding of the ball but, as with everything else, is very inconsistent. He looked like he had bulked up a bit against Wolves looking at his physique or maybe that's just my eyes playing a trick on me.

Out of possession he's a worry. Bar Arsenal where he was Herrera-esque at winning the ball he's weak in the tackle and often presses, misses out, and leaves us wide open. I think he'd benefit from playing alongside Herrera who's brilliant at winning the ball back so it's less of an issue.

Sylar

Im surprised people are putting the blame on DDG over Fred, given Fred made such a huge fck up on his first touch in acres of space under no pressure.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Im surprised people are putting the blame on DDG over Fred, given Fred made such a huge fck up on his first touch in acres of space under no pressure.
Everybody knows Fred fecked up. It happens.

The rest of his game was fine though. He carried the ball well, moved it quickly and made plenty of tackles/interceptions. It was a good performance.

If he didn't make that mistake nobody would be moaning. Unfortunately many fans can't see past the mistake.

Lingard should have been subbed not Fred.

Sylar

The rest of his game was fine though. He carried the ball well, moved it quickly and made plenty of tackles/interceptions. It was a good performance.

If he didn't make that mistake nobody would be moaning. Unfortunately many fans can't see past the mistake.

Whilst I agree with the bolded part (except the period after his fck up until half time, but that happens to a lot of players).
But if you read this thread, people are blaming DDG for passing to him in open space after he asked for the ball and told Smalling to move out the way so he can receive the pass with no pressure.

Bizarre stuff. I do think Fred should have had a run of games after the PSG game with McT and not tried to rush Matic and Herrera back as starters.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Fred messed up big time, similar to Pereira against Burnley was it?
Pereira has kicked on and improved since then, hopefully Fred can do the same.
They're probably a bit similar in that you want them further up the pitch where those silly mistakes are less costly.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Whilst I agree with the bolded part (except the period after his fck up until half time, but that happens to a lot of players).
But if you read this thread, people are blaming DDG for passing to him in open space after he asked for the ball and told Smalling to move out the way so he can receive the pass with no pressure.

Bizarre stuff. I do think Fred should have had a run of games after the PSG game with McT and not tried to rush Matic and Herrera back as starters.
Well yeah, anybody who says that is just fanboying. Everybody knows you split the CB's and the CDM drops to receive the pass. It would have been fine but unfortunately he had a sloppy touch and then Wolves pounced on him like... Wolves.

He's maybe just a tiny bit too relaxed in those moments, in Ukraine he probably had 2/3 seconds to take a touch and turn, you don't get that luxury in England.

Anyway that's really his only weakness that I can see so far. He's a good passer, shoots well, is pretty quick and is definitely getting better in winning duels now.

Many players need a settling in period, he's hardly had a run in the team either which doesn't help. I hope Solskjaer gives him a fair crack for 2/3/4 games, especially if Herrera is playing hard ball.

Stacks

Mistakes cost games. Titus Bramble used to play well but had a mistake in him. Same with Jones and Chris (not Mike) Smalling. You have to be near perfect to play for this club at this level. A GK who makes lots of Saves and sweeps up well but the cost you the game, is a feck up

VanGaalyTime

Fred messed up big time, similar to Pereira against Burnley was it?
Pereira has kicked on and improved since then, hopefully Fred can do the same.
They're probably a bit similar in that you want them further up the pitch where those silly mistakes are less costly.
Also so similar to the Brighton away game. De Gea played it into central midfield, Fred couldnt' control and Brighton players were all over him. They get a penalty at the end of that particular move. We have to stop playing it into central midfield if we want to play from the back. No other team does it this way because it's mental.

VanGaalyTime

Fabinho definately shouldn't be mentioned alongside those two names.

Its tough man, I was a Fred supporter, but if the position he thrives in is that specific, he may just not be that great of a player. Good players can play in many shapes and forms. Otherwise you are like a king in the chess board, you need to be protected by the other pieces all the time or you're worthless.
Notice the difference between Kante in the World Cup and Kante playing slightly further forward. One is the best in the world, the other is barely good enough for the Championship.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
The type of player that West Ham signs after 3 underwhelming years at a big club.

Steven-UK

The type of player that West Ham signs after 3 underwhelming years at a big club.
I don't think he is even good enough for West Ham at this moment in time.

It could be that he is still adjusting to the premiership. Could be, but when you watch him close, he does not seem to have the first touch, or composure required. Sure, he 'could' learn that over time, but a club and team like United will not grant him that luxury. That fact is that we massively overpaid for this lad.

He looks like a good kid to be honest, and is one of those players that you think: "go on, make it happen, and prove it to us". I just think that the club is maybe too big for him. We've seen it so many times before.

Ekeke

Fred has a lot to improve on to make it here, at least as a starter. So before I start, I should say I think he's clearly been disappointing this season and looks nothing like a £50 million player.

That said, he has shown some things that are positive.

For example he's our player who averages the most passes per 90 mins and the most accurate played passes per 90 mins overall. So I think when he settles down a bit more and plays a run of games he can be someone who sets the tempo for us, which is good because Matic is doing it at the moment and Matic is playing poorly.

Grande

Let’s play the blame game and say Fred has 70% of the blame. He should control the ball much better and anticipate and be aware of the situation behind him when he signals for the ball. Yet I still have a hen to pick with Smalling. He shouldn’t move around centrally in front of De Gea, drawing Wolves players closer to the midfield and robbing De Gea of eyesight and an extra outlet. And this is pretty basic in our strategy when keeper starts from the back. I want to give him a 10% blame for that. Then Pogba and McTominay. They position themselves 40 yards up the pitch, passively covered by Wolves players, leaving Fred with as good as no passing options. I’d like to assign them 10% each, unless their instructions were to stay high for the keeper to play the long ball.

And this is when we come to De Gea. He decides were to start the play. He has it all in front of him. He sees Smalling right in front of him, he sees Pogba and McTom standing high up, he sees Fred showing for the ball in a part of the pitch you don’t want to concede the ball, and with no one really to pass to, and he decides for that. It’s a bad choice, with high risk and little gain. Most times it will be fine, but sometimes it will go sour (and has), and it’s not worth it, because it creates nothing. For that, I’d like to assign him 10-15% of the blame. Which is were my maths break down, of course.

Yet this time I actually got more angry with Dave than with the others, because it sort of makes sense to stay high for the keeper to go long, and it sort of makes sense to go deep to offer the keeper an out ball, and Smalling doesn’t usually position himself that clumsily when starting from the back, everyone can make a 10% mistake sometimes, and even Fred, making the same mistake I’ve seen Pereira, Matic, Herrera and Pogba do in that position before - it’s a big one, but at least I’ve seen him making less and less mistakes like that lately, not more and more.

Whereas Dave, I’ve seen him more and more often make slightly bad decisions and slightly bad executions when starting play, and it frustrates me that he seems to get worse.

steakpie

Fred is to blame for the goal. But Lukaku's and Lingard's headed misses just as costly.

Baxter

Had a moment where he lost the ball similar to the Wolves game, but looks much better in Europe.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Been waiting a while but I'm happy he's finally getting a run in the team. A lot of potential there.

Really good performance - if he can play like that consistently next season we won't miss Herrera

Brilliant tonight, bettered only by McTominay. I hope he's not another Veron because tonight we saw the player we thought we were getting.

Ekeke

For me McTominay was man of the match as he played well all game. Fred was decent in the first half...

But in the second half I think Fred was great. His ball winning was good, won some 50/50s, played the ball around well with only his long passes sometimes not being the best, but others being good.

If he can play like the 2nd 45 more often, and in that deepest midfielder role, then we have a real player and someone who without doubt should play every week instead of Matic.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
My man of the match. Reminded us of his form for Shakhtar in the CL.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Should be our main DM for the rest of the season. He's been good for the past couple of months and deserves to start.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Really good tonight. Challenged well, passed well, pressed well.

Status
Not open for further replies.