5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

GledTheRed

Why is he always the scapegoat? Don't play him if you don't trust him ffs. He's being treat like a cnut no wonder we can't get a tune out of him.

ArjenIsM3

First half he was our best midfielder. At least he tried to make himself available which is more than you can say about Matic or Pogba. Pogba got better and played some decent passes but his work rate is still suspect at best. Fred looked like he cared. And at this point that's something I value a lot.

Stretch

First half he was our best midfielder. At least he tried to make himself available which is more than you can say about Matic or Pogba. Pogba got better and played some decent passes but his work rate is still suspect at best. Fred looked like he cared. And at this point that's something I value a lot.
This. I was shocked that he was substituted ahead of Matic.

Ekeke

Fred did look like he was trying, but he still came off the pitch having not won the ball at all. He was outfought by Schneiderlin and Gueye regardless of whether he put a bit of effort in. He wasnt up to the task.

starman

No matter what, I am giving him up to December' to properly judge him. That said, his signing is still baffling, no idea what our recruitment department was thinking in buying him, when we could have picked up Doucoure instead. I swear they are just using FM to search for players

ArjenIsM3

Fred did look like he was trying, but he still came off the pitch having not won the ball at all. He was outfought by Schneiderlin and Gueye regardless of whether he put a bit of effort in. He wasnt up to the task.
How can you say that when he was the only one fighting? If anyone wasn't up to the task it was fecking Matic. He even said so himself.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
It was Matic's job to be wining balls. Fred's was to harry opposing players. Which he tried to do all half long.

izec

He tried, but not enough quality about him. I dont think he is as bad as some others and i am reluctant to give up on a player after his first season in England. I would give him another year. We are also thin in midfield.

Ekeke

It was Matic's job to be wining balls. Fred's was to harry opposing players. Which he tried to do all half long.
They were both playing DM, just like when Matic and Ander play together.

Ander does all the ball winning in that combo. Thats what was missing today

Matic actually ended up playing slightly further forward than Fred today, but its largely the same DM duo as with Ander.

Champagne Football

The time to judge him properly will be next season after a year of settling in. He'll probably turn out to be a key player next season, in certain games anyways.

Still seems like we need 2 new central midfielders in the summer. Someone with pace to take over from Matic (Rice/Ndidi) and someone to control things whilst giving a goal and assist threat (Ruben Neves/Saul Niguez/Tielemans/Doucoure/Kovacic)

Gopher Brown

No matter what, I am giving him up to December' to properly judge him. That said, his signing is still baffling, no idea what our recruitment department was thinking in buying him, when we could have picked up Doucoure instead. I swear they are just using FM to search for players
He was probably towards the bottom of a list of midfielders Jose deemed acceptable.

You’d imagine Matic was top of a previous list though, so who knows what kind of shite was also on there.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
They were both playing DM, just like when Matic and Ander play together.

Ander does all the ball winning in that combo. Thats what was missing today

Matic actually ended up playing slightly further forward than Fred today, but its largely the same DM duo as with Ander.

He ended up further forward because he kept following Sigurdson around just admiring him. Whilst Fred tried in vain to win back possession and harass the Everton double pivot.

MAME DIOUF 32

I'm hoping he was taken off because he was more tired than Matic as opposed to Ole thinking Matic was having the better game.

Fred's a long way down the list of problems for me now.

Match Of The Day got it right.

Of our 3 in midfield Fred was pressing aggressively, Pogba was doing it half heartedly, and Matic was completely sitting off. Everton were just passing it around us. It was obvious it was going to happen as soon as the lineups were announced so i do wonder what Ole was expecting.

With McTominay Fred has a partner who will also close players down as quickly as he does. Fred pressures the man with the ball and McTominay sweeps up the loose passes. That's why they both look better together than they do as individuals. The days of Matic having the legs to do the sweeping up are over.

Devil may care

I don't get why he was hooked over Matic, I worry he'll be dropped for the derby as Ole seems to have the same Matic fetish as Mourinho, but if City play Bernardo Silva in the #8 role with De Bruyne injured, he will run rings around Matic, Fred would at least have a fighting chance of dealing with him.

Bobski

I don't get why he was hooked over Matic, I worry he'll be dropped for the derby as Ole seems to have the same Matic fetish as Mourinho, but if City play Bernardo Silva in the #8 role with De Bruyne injured, he will run rings around Matic, Fred would at least have a fighting chance of dealing with him.
11101 shows why in the previous post. The midfield 3 has to at least attempt to work as a unit, Fred pressing while the others are standing off opens massive gaps and space to play in. Only chance against City is to be compact and hit them on the break. Fred with a more mobile midfield around him, who can consistently press with intensity is much more useful.

Again shows how poorly matched our squad is, the lack of vision for a coherent style of play.

OohAahMartial

I think he was worried Fred might get sent off. Seemed to be getting noticed by the ref too much.

Devil may care

11101 shows why in the previous post. The midfield 3 has to at least attempt to work as a unit, Fred pressing while the others are standing off opens massive gaps and space to play in. Only chance against City is to be compact and hit them on the break. Fred with a more mobile midfield around him, who can consistently press with intensity is much more useful.

Again shows how poorly matched our squad is, the lack of vision for a coherent style of play.
Yes, but what he showed is we needed to bring Matic off so Fred and McTominay could press together, all we did was swap a like for like and the problem remained as Matic stayed on.

I think he was worried Fred might get sent off. Seemed to be getting noticed by the ref too much.
You have to trust your senior players more than that, had Fred even been booked

OohAahMartial

My mistake, I thought he had been booked. I was angry too when it was him and not Matic that got taken off. As I was when Young was brought on.

Sea-Cow

Best thing he did was tell Pogba to feck off. Fred plays a decent ball forward to Martial, Pogba throws a hissy-fit in the middle, and we eventually get a corner.

And up steps Fred, the hero, to tell Pogba off. Loved it. I gave it a standing ovation.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

That's why I don't understand why we haven't tried Fred and Herrera together. As far as I can remember they haven't played a single minute of football together this season. I'm probably wrong and forgetting a match or two, but they certainly haven't had much time together. Which is extremely strange as they are in theory our best midfield combination if we want to harry and press the opposition.

Man Utd 0:2 Man City

Baxter

75% pass rate. Nowhere near good enough. All the guys that cannot wait to rip into Pogba really need to have a look at guys like this.

fps

The fact I feel sorry for Fred, and appreciate that he runs around, can't change the fact he was signed for around the same price as Kevin De Bruyne.

The guy literally hoiked the ball up in the air a few times tonight because he didn't know what to do with it. His pass completion was, to the untrained eye, hopeless.

GamerKurisu

I guess I'm the only one that thought he was our best player? He could be really good for us if he keeps it up

mewnew11

Frustrating!!!!!! because there are some good things in there.

You can't mispass the ball at this level.

kundalini

Shocking performance. Kept giving the ball away. Seemed unable to find a red shirt.

Looked out of his depth.

UncleBob

I'm a bit worried that he's never going to be good enough.

Initially i thought the issue was that he needed to get used to the tempo, which wouldn't be much of a surprise, but his passing technique is absolutely horrible, it looks like he's trying to kick an inflateable beach ball and not a football, always worried about how to hit it

binary bot
He was fecking awful.

The only thing i'd say to defend him is that he is in the worst possible team for his skillset. The way we're setup. The way other players show for the ball. Absolute no structure to the attacking play. The centre backs don't create space for the midfielder. It's a complete shitshow.

There's times when there's nothing else the midfield can do in possession. They're just swarmed by the opposition and our players stand behind the opposition.

There's something telling me he'd be a success at City.

Overlook

He hasn’t made progress during the campaign. The optimists are seeing what they want to see. He’s a nervous wreck on the ball and his decision making and range of passing just isn’t to the level required. The only think that has changed in regards to Fred is the level of expectation and the standard of what constitutes a ‘good’ performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.