Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I wouldn't trust him in any remotely defensive role right now. Dont know enough about him to say if its confidence or if he's just that bad.

Can see Ole moving him on in the summer.
If we can get good money for him and there's a better replacement who can be easily bought then I'm for it. Not really sure whether he's meant to be back-up for Pogba or should be competing for Herrera's place in the team. If he's only back-up then maybe he's ok but if he's meant to be a starter then I wouldn't begrudge Ole for trying to bring in someone better and more suited to the system.

Who that player is, is another question.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Not everything's lost just yet. If Ole can fix and adjust Fred to this league he will only confirm his class as a manager. We can already see some improvement signs from Rashford, Pogba, Lindelof, Shaw and lately McTominay showed in matter of weeks he can be just calm against strong sides as Matić.

If Fred won't make it then fine, but at least let's see if manager and staff can coach him properly. It's a great test for people in charge how they cope with club's own investments.

He got 3 months to show some desire in obvious fight for top 4.

SteveW

If we can get good money for him and there's a better replacement who can be easily bought then I'm for it. Not really sure whether he's meant to be back-up for Pogba or should be competing for Herrera's place in the team. If he's only back-up then maybe he's ok but if he's meant to be a starter then I wouldn't begrudge Ole for trying to bring in someone better and more suited to the system.

Who that player is, is another question.
Yeah same. He was supposed to he a deep lying midfielder but he looks a complete liability in that half of the field. Reminds me of kleberson in that regard.

I guess it all comes down to whether Ole feels he can use him. If he cant we'd be as well off to take the hit and get him off the wage bill. Ole seems to have a very clear idea of what he wants so I expect a few players to move on this summer.

podurban2

What loss would selling a player generate? Selling a player can never generate a loss. Only increases the transfer kitty and frees up wage budget. I guess you mean how much less would we sell him for compared to the purchase price? I guess we would now sell for 25 or 30million? Still a good amount of money to go towards a new signing that might be a better fit.

It's very rare for a club to offload a big money signing so quickly though so I think we will give him at least one more season, if the coaches truly believe he will come good or not.

Just to be clear, I haven't seen enough of him to make an opinion as a player either way. I just hope that if we keep him, we keep him because we genuinely think he's good. Not just because very occasionally a player comes along that turns it around against all the odds.
I don’t think business works as buy asset for x -> sell asset for x/2 -> increase capex.

That’s not how Ed Woodward operates. He invests and expects returns. Fred must be really worthless for him to take such a decision.

Marcus

Just like Shaw, Jesse, Lindelof, McTominay needed some time, can we just give Fred the chance to get a run of games under Ole and demonstrate that he can make it?

Steerpike

I don’t think business works as buy asset for x -> sell asset for x/2 -> increase capex.

That’s not how Ed Woodward operates. He invests and expects returns. Fred must be really worthless for him to take such a decision.
The sentiment you express is similar to the one which causes many investors to fail. There really isn't any link between the price you pay for an asset and its current value, particularly where that asset also carries a cost of ownership (wages in this case).

The questions to be considered are:

- how much would I receive if I disposed of the asset?

- is there a better use for that money than leaving it tied up in the asset?

Businesses make lots of decisions, and some inevitably turn out to be bad. The smart move isn't to hold on to those decisions in the hope that they one day turn out good, but to recognise when it's time to cut your losses.

Regarding Fred, I hope he gets some game time between now and the end of the season. With luck, he'll put in some decent performances and prove that he can be a part of the manager's plans going forward. If it doesn't work out, then let's hope that another club sees value in him and we get a decent price.

yfoFC

Seems to me like Ole started him last time out to give him confidence as we're gonna need him against PSG with Pogba out.

I'm thinking Ole will start Andreas at the weekend and then start both alongside Scott against PSG with Pogba out.

That will be some nice strategic chess move if that's his reasoning behind giving Fred the start, give 2 players the confidence they need to start an European game night when we'll really need them.

Litch

3rd time watching the full match now and sorry I still can't see him struggling in the first half? No more than anyone else anyway but certainly not how people are portraying it.

Hughes35

You sell when the asset is at it's most valuable. The wages are an ongoing cost so yes selling for any price still improves the cash flow. If we really don't think he will ever play then his value will just get lower and lower every year so it's better to shift quickly.

Although I do agree with you that we are unlikely to do that as that means somebody has to admit they made a mistake and people don't do that easily.

Litch

You sell when the asset is at it's most valuable. The wages are an ongoing cost so yes selling for any price still improves the cash flow. If we really don't think he will ever play then his value will just get lower and lower every year so it's better to shift quickly.

Although I do agree with you that we are unlikely to do that as that means somebody has to admit they made a mistake and people don't do that easily.
Mistake after one season?

Hughes35

Mistake after one season?
I've already said in a previous post that personally, I have no views on Fred either way as haven't seen enough of him. I was just making a point that if Ole and the coaching staff don't fancy him, then they should ship him out regardless of how long he's been at the club or how much money was spent on him.

podurban2

Of course, my point applies if we think his value is at its highest at the moment. Which it isn’t IMO. Nonetheless, of course he will get his chance next season. We ain’t selling after only one year.

JoaquinJoaquin

I see alot of the same people writing him off were the ones writing Lindelof off last season to. Fred needs a run in the team, playing every 60 days isn't going to make him a better player.

Walters_19_MuFc

Think he should start against Southampton. We've not got that many more options and dropping him would, in my opinion, be a massive dent in his confidence.

Had a nervy start the other day but he certainly grew into the game and looked a lot more composed in the second half.

Litch

I've already said in a previous post that personally, I have no views on Fred either way as haven't seen enough of him. I was just making a point that if Ole and the coaching staff don't fancy him, then they should ship him out regardless of how long he's been at the club or how much money was spent on him.
Isnt that going to be the managers decision?

acnumber9

I see alot of the same people writing him off were the ones writing Lindelof off last season to. Fred needs a run in the team, playing every 60 days isn't going to make him a better player.
He needs to earn a run in the team. He’s sixth choice for a reason.

zenith

He showed enough in the second half against palace to be a starter against Southampton at home. He can only improve with more game time

acnumber9

How is he meant to do that playing every 60 days though?
The same way other players earn their place in the team. Our managers have watched him train daily and they’re perfectly placed to determine if a player is good enough. To only play him in an emergency speaks volumes.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Must be nice to get the assist for the match winning goal when coming on for the last 10 minutes. Hopefully we'll see plenty more inventive passes from this guy

Canagel

He should've started imo. His passing would've opened them up much sooner.

Devil may care

Didn't get credit on the commentary but that looked like a deft assist on the winning goal to me.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I've always felt he had the potential to be a good cm but his lack of physicality and ball control lets him down. He's as two-footed a player I've seen play for us, he's shown he can play amazing passes, and is always looking forward to effect play. He plays with the right idea, in my opinion, but he's too loose with the ball and, as I said, lacks the strength to make up for his looseness. He can't shield the ball or win it back as things stand.

If he can adapt to the physicality of the league then I think we'll have a good player on our hands.

el3mel

Hard to rate him in the few minutes he played but that was a good pass. He's definitely starting against PSG so let's see what he'll do.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
I liked the one he reversed into Pogba who then overhit the lay off to Lukaku. Thought we could have put him on earlier to free up Pogba to push forward. Pogba got stuck in build up as we had no one to do the build up phase.

scoi

He's improving with game time and hopefully another start on Wednesday will continue this. He has a lot of potential

deafepl

Combing Fred / Herrera into one player = Ballon d'Or contenders player. I hope he'll adapt to the pace and physical of the league and learn more from Herrera in defensive, shield balls, tackle or attempting to win balls back.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He looked kinda in a match rhythm and judging by difficult moment of the game, it's almost like he's starting to turning things around under pressure.

Intensive trainings finally kicked in, or he just did it for fun. Maybe both.

Whatever form he's in, play him in Paris.

Phil

Those two quick forward passes are what I remember him doing quite a lot from his first games. Hope he can put it together.

Bill Hartzia

Should be better than he has been so far, much better. But then again, hasn't had much of a chance. One of those you hope a tough freshman year leads to a better sophomore year and beyond once the acclimatization process has been worked through.

PSG 1:3 Man Utd

Zoo

He is quality. Some of his passes tonight just to give the team some breathing space was vital. Give him time.

flappyjay

Looks like there is a player in there. Could be also suited to European footy. Time will tell. He and the two academy lads in midfield made me very proud

Status
Not open for further replies.