Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Fred isn't a deep sitting midfielder. Did you see him play for Shakhtar?

If Ole instructed the team to play with 2 DMs against Astana at home then that is a worrying sign in itself. I don't think that's what he did however. I just don't think Fred has the ability/confidence to play in the way Ole would like him to.
You are right, neither Matic or Fred were employed as DM's specifically, but a normal CM player is a bit of a DM, AM ball winner and creator, which is what they both showed in the match. Fred did drop into the back four on several occasions when Jones/ Tuanzebe pushed forward, and also appeared a number of times in the opposition box. He looks much better on the left of a midfield two, and I would hope he starts on Sunday, but I can see Matic starting, with Fred again coming on second half. If Fred gets plenty of games this season, he will certainly improve, but by how much, and will he eradicate the silly little slips that seem to happen with him.

OohAahMartial

Think he was a little rusty, as to be expected, but the most pleasing thing was that he lasted 90 mins, so despite missing pre-season he has caught up. Don't expect him to break into the first team quite yet, but he will regularly feature in the Europa and when/if he is sharp and doesn't just knock on the door but bashes it down, then he can get back in the PL. He might get some sub time of course, test how he handles the speed.

Ballist1x

Pretty sure Fred got ragdolled by the Astana players a couple of times..

I just have no idea why we bought him.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
155 touches taken, 136 passes attempted. 19 extra touches.
And whoscored has Matic at 12 "extra touches." Less than Fred and not 25 per pass.

Almost certain that isn't what the touches stat represents anyway. Otherwise Matic and Fred would have played over 90% of their passes one touch which they obviously didn't.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
that was his first start of the season. he was instructed to stay deep and start attacks. he almost scored twice.

He was pretty good.

He is not a shit player at all. He had some very good games last season but his mistakes were bad and many people will just remember those costly blunders.

I hope he gets a solid run of games with Scott and Paul. No stop start nonsense.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
He created two chances with his passing, clear chances btw

Ether

Neville was really angry at him for pulling out of a challenge towards the end, did anyone see it?

NinjaFletch

He's like a shit version of Pogba.

Spends half the game erratically kicking the ball out of play, passing to the wrong team and just genuinely making you question how on earth he made it as a professional footballer and then pulls a couple of good balls out of nowhere to make you wonder if he won't eventually get it.

mu4c_20le

Not suited for English football, simple as that. I dont know hwo much more time we are going to give him. BIGGEST mistake was keeping him and letting Herrera go, even though I was an advocate of letting Ander go at the time, I thought Fred was still improving after a few promising CL displays....

Raven

I thought he was good when he came on, hopefully Matic never starts in the league again.

M16Red

Did more in 20 then Pereira in 94 minutes?

He's not defensive in anyway.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Maybe. Don’t be surprised when the next one doesn’t rate him either though.
Im not saying I rate him. Its is clear though from what I have seen this season alone he offers more than Matic

Matic is finished

SweetRightFoot

Did more than Matic and Mctominay combined after he came on. I'm not his biggest fan but he put in a good performance. Him and James for MOTM to be honest.

acnumber9

Im not saying I rate him. Its is clear though from what I have seen this season alone he offers more than Matic

Matic is finished
I’m not convinced to be honest. Matic has just got to the stage where it doesn’t matter what he does because nobody can be objective about his performances.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
created more in 15 mins than all of our players combined the whole game.

Should start every game.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I’m not convinced to be honest. Matic has just got to the stage where it doesn’t matter what he does because nobody can be objective about his performances.
Not really. He was poor today. Him and Pereira lack of pressure on Noble cost us the first goal

acnumber9

created more in 15 mins than all of our players combined the whole game.

Should start every game.
He played one simple pass to James in acres of space who then had to run 40 yards by himself to get a shot off. Pereira created our only real chance in open play and there’s no way he should be starting every game.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He played a great Carrick-esque ball between the lines then, a couple of minutes later, passes the ball out for a throw in despite not being under that much pressure. Sums him up.

Golden Nugget

He’s not consistent enough within the same match. Can play beautiful forward passes - then screw up simple passes. That said, he should be playing when Pogba isn’t.

Red_toad

McTommy holding and Fred on the right side of midfield for me. He might be erratic but look at our play, it’s so predictable.

Devil may care

Was hungry to try and make something happen and he made a couple of sloppy passes in his over eagerness, but added some impetus in there that was lacking.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That pass straight out of play sums up his time here
I don’t really care if he does that. I’d rather he does that once a match but actually try to carry the ball forwards or pass forward between the lines. He’s a riskier more adventurous player but that’s how you score goals.

Mctominay and Matic together are far too safe in their play.

Untd55

I think he should be playing further up the pitch. He has created more chances than McTominay, Lingard and Matic put together in only 132 minutes, far less than the time the other three have seen on the pitch.

He came on against Crystal Palace, created a chance which Pereira messed up. He came on today and created two chances, one which was messed up by James. He passed it into Greenwood against Astana (I bet a lot of our players would have probably played it sideways instead). I am not saying that should be considered an assist (even though it is), but it shows his forward-thinking is beneficial in an attacking sense. He was also one of the closest to score with two great efforts (freekick and shot at the beginning).

Fred also has a great shot on him. Not only does he generate a lot of power, but he can get a lot of curl on the ball also. His shot technique is better than any of our current midfielders that play behind the striker. He just rarely gets the chance to shoot, since he is not in the position enough because he is too deep. He also looks to be good at shooting from freekicks, which would be a nice change from Rashford.

He is an attack-minded player which is what we need in that position behind the striker. He is constantly looking to pass forwards and is capable of playing balls through the defence.

I think we are missing a trick here. I think he could improve us by quite a bit in that position, especially when Pogba comes back. They could potentially interchange throughout the game, which cannot be done with Lingard/Mata.

Attacking-wise, he is superior to any of our midfielders bar Pogba.

Last edited:
Reactions: van der star

red4ever 79

That pass straight out of play sums up his time here
What about his pass when he put James clean through towards the end, or are you purposely neglecting to acknowledge that. Give me a CM who takes risks every day of the week over the dross that we currently have playing there who go backwards and sideways. Might be one of the reasons why we create jack shit

Status
Not open for further replies.